Warps

Got this fabulous Uk tune - The guy on ebay had it(explined it had abad warp) showing playing on you-tube on an old fidelity portable record player. However when I get it the warp is so bad it jumps half the record.

What can I do to flatten it out. Not worried about the other side - I just want it to play ok.

Tried weights etc - no luck

Anyone suggest anything sensible!

cheers Steve

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It's not much but worth thinkin' about.

Several years ago I was playing 'One Way Out' on Gordy on a sunny day in the garden.

As I was watching it it suddenly started warping very badly (sobered me up that's f sure!!).

Took it inside and after 5 mins back to normal!

I wonder if you try the weight approach when it has been made slightly unstable e.g with a light heat source.If the tune is particularly important to you it may pay you to attempt this first with a rubbish sound (anything after 1968 should do!!!!) tongue.gif

Best of luck

Paul

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Got this fabulous Uk tune - The guy on ebay had it(explined it had abad warp) showing playing on you-tube on an old fidelity portable record player. However when I get it the warp is so bad it jumps half the record.

What can I do to flatten it out. Not worried about the other side - I just want it to play ok.

cheers Steve

Sensible would be not to ask!

Pete Smith may be the one to ask I'm sure he as tried this using many different heat souses microwave being one that comes to mind rolleyes.gif

Every time I have tried to flatten a 45 out it always makes it look like the BIG one at Blackpool :lol:

Good luck with this :lol:

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

i tried some gentle persauassion on a small edge warp last week, record cracked,!!!! i hadnt noticed it was styrene :lol: straight in the bin,..........only a cheapie,thank the lord.........but it does you good to be reminded of how not to try and repair um!!!!!!!!!!! weight on the stylus more effective eg a threepenny bit unsure.gif ezzie

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

SHOVE IT IN THE CRACK OF YOUR ASS AND THEN SPIN IT ROUND AT 78RPM FOR 5 MINS ALLOW TO COOL AND WASH THE RESIDUE OFF

SIMPLE......

ONLY YOU WOULD BUY AN ASHTRAY

HAHAHA

GASHER

laugh.gif:lol::lol::(:ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

It's not much but worth thinkin' about.

Several years ago I was playing 'One Way Out' on Gordy on a sunny day in the garden.

As I was watching it it suddenly started warping very badly (sobered me up that's f sure!!).

Took it inside and after 5 mins back to normal!

I wonder if you try the weight approach when it has been made slightly unstable e.g with a light heat source.If the tune is particularly important to you it may pay you to attempt this first with a rubbish sound (anything after 1968 should do!!!!) tongue.gif

Best of luck

Paul

Done this before with some sucess, put the record into a plastic sleve, put it out in the sun for a few minutes then lay a weight on top & allow to cool.

This worked on a Loma single :lol:

Ken

Done similar using a hairdryer & it worked.

Not a direct heat source & bit easier to keep tag of how hot it's getting than a microwave or oven. Still have to be very careful though thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

cheers Steve

Put it between 2 bits of glass and leave it in the greenhouse for a day,works a treat..........or at least it has for me,Earl Jackson,Charles Johnson and others.Good Luck

Social source share

I have removed many warps over the years using this method, you need a heat source, preferably gas ring and the biggest heaviest book you can lay yer hands on ( must be a hardback). open the book halfway, place the warp on the disc over the gas flame ,(about 18 inches above it), slowly ( and I mean slowly) bring the disc down towards the flame, if you do this at the right speed it will slowly start to droop, at this piont place it as quick as possible in the book, slam the book closed. I have straightned a good few discs like this, the good thing about it is if you dont get it right first time you can have another go at it, provided you dont let it get too hot first time round.

copywrite: the jules record straightening method

Social source share

Depends if its Styrene or Vinyl!.....vinyl is easier.

Water........quite hot water, leave it in for about 10 minutes and then put the disk under a pane of glass (or similar) on a perfectly flat surface with as much weight on top of it as possible........leave for an hour at least.

Best to try with another record first to gauge how hot you need the water........obviously try it with one that you dont mind screwing up tongue.gif

Social source share

SHOVE IT IN THE CRACK OF YOUR ASS AND THEN SPIN IT ROUND AT 78RPM FOR 5 MINS ALLOW TO COOL AND WASH THE RESIDUE OFF

SIMPLE......

ONLY YOU WOULD BUY AN ASHTRAY

HAHAHA

GASHER

I just tried this and it didn't work and I ruined my record sad.gif

Social source share

cheers Steve

buy the fecking record player off him aswel!

Social source share

Put it between 2 bits of glass and leave it in the greenhouse for a day,works a treat..........or at least it has for me,Earl Jackson,Charles Johnson and others.Good Luck

how much is a greenhouse ? laugh.gif

Social source share

I have removed many warps over the years using this method, you need a heat source, preferably gas ring and the biggest heaviest book you can lay yer hands on ( must be a hardback). open the book halfway, place the warp on the disc over the gas flame ,(about 18 inches above it), slowly ( and I mean slowly) bring the disc down towards the flame, if you do this at the right speed it will slowly start to droop, at this piont place it as quick as possible in the book, slam the book closed. I have straightned a good few discs like this, the good thing about it is if you dont get it right first time you can have another go at it, provided you dont let it get too hot first time round.

copywrite: the jules record straightening method

:thumbsup:

I think I would try the "out in the sun for a few minutes" before trying this one!

"bring the disc down towards the flame, if you do this at the right speed it will slowly start to droop"

Brings me out in a sweat just reading it again :lol: Off for a lie down.

Edited by paultp
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert