Rare Uk Albums

Hi Salv,

I'm pretty sure that the Mighty Sam never 'officially' came out - it was pressed in the last days of Soul City, and you could buy it from Monmouth Street for sure, but I can't remember if it was ever distributed, other than as a cutout once the shop had closed.

The Johnnie Taylor is less rare - less rare, in fact, than the Valentinos/Simms Twins Soul city album, both of which I can remember seeing as 'cheapies' in newsagents/hardware stores-type locations for around ten bob, long after SC had gone.

Not much of a bargain in JT's case - back then at any rate - as it was only a 14/6 jobbie in the first place!

Anna King's not so rare - I'm sitting about four feet away from two UK copies as I type, both bought in the last 15 years - but McKinley's certainly a toughie...

Hi Tony,

That's interesting about the Mighty Sam LP - I can't remember exactly where or when I got it but it was certainly some time in the 80s and may have been from a stall in Kensington Market for about a fiver. I got the JT album at about the same time, so I may be confusing the two. I found the McKinley Mitchell in a junk shop in Holloway Road, just up from Highbury Corner, again for about a fiver, some time in the 80s - it was the only soul album in the place.

Social source share

• Replies 115
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

McKinley "Soul" Mitchell - self-titled - President (One-Derful recordings)

Hi Salv,

How are you doing?

I have the McKinley Mitchell President LP too.

David

Hi David,

I'm very well thanks, nice to see you here as well.

Social source share

Was Contempo's "Soul Deep Volume 2" ever properly available? Blues & Soul mentioned it as a forthcoming new release so I ordered it from my local record shop, but it must have been at about the time that Contempo shut up shop and they couldn't get hold of it. I managed to find one at Cheapo Cheapo in Soho and it's very, very good. It includes the first UK release of Sam Dees' Signed Ms. Heroin, and an excellent Sam & Dave track - Living It Down - that seems to have only ever been avaialable on this album.

Social source share

Was Contempo's "Soul Deep Volume 2" ever properly available? Blues & Soul mentioned it as a forthcoming new release so I ordered it from my local record shop, but it must have been at about the time that Contempo shut up shop and they couldn't get hold of it. I managed to find one at Cheapo Cheapo in Soho and it's very, very good. It includes the first UK release of Sam Dees' Signed Ms. Heroin, and an excellent Sam & Dave track - Living It Down - that seems to have only ever been avaialable on this album.

Hello Salv , one of my favourite deep soul albums is that one , I actually bought mine from a local newsagents who had it for sale on one of those revolving displays , he had several copies as well ,all sealed .The first volume took me years to get , and I've only just recently got a mintish one .Strange eh ? Best ,Eddie

Social source share

I have now located and purchased a copy of 'An Album Full Of Soul'.

Thanks everybody for all your postings.

This has been a great thread and long may it continue.

I have most of what has been posted to date but the ones I haven't got, indeed, didn't even know about, has re-awakened my love and collecting instincts for more Lp's.

Thanks again.

Really pleased you're getting a copy Denbo , you'll love it !! Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Hello Salv , one of my favourite deep soul albums is that one , I actually bought mine from a local newsagents who had it for sale on one of those revolving displays , he had several copies as well ,all sealed .The first volume took me years to get , and I've only just recently got a mintish one .Strange eh ? Best ,Eddie

Hi Eddie,

I don't think there was anything to compare to Soul Deep 1 & 2, at least for 70s Deep soul, until Charly started releasing their Southern Soul series in 1981. They still stand up now, even with the wealth of Deep compilations that have been released in the last 10 years.

I got a tatty copy of Volume 1 not long after getting volume 2 and I'm still searching for a better one...

Social source share

Hi Eddie,

I don't think there was anything to compare to Soul Deep 1 & 2, at least for 70s Deep soul, until Charly started releasing their Southern Soul series in 1981. They still stand up now, even with the wealth of Deep compilations that have been released in the last 10 years.

I got a tatty copy of Volume 1 not long after getting volume 2 and I'm still searching for a better one...

Agree - AWESOME compilations.

Every track a winner!

:g:

Sean

Social source share

This is the album that turned me onto Soul , a budget priced set that took me ages to find when I tried to get a copy a while back , " Workin ' " on UK MOJO ,lots of classic Northern , Tami Lynn , Fascinations , Chuck Wood , and some good funk like Bobby Bryd " I know you got soul " , JB's " The grunt " etc .Nice cover as well :shhh: Best ,Eddie

post-1804-1209127033_thumb.jpg

Social source share

This is the album that turned me onto Soul , a budget priced set that took me ages to find when I tried to get a copy a while back , " Workin ' " on UK MOJO ,lots of classic Northern , Tami Lynn , Fascinations , Chuck Wood , and some good funk like Bobby Bryd " I know you got soul " , JB's " The grunt " etc .Nice cover as well :lol: Best ,Eddie

Wicked Comp that Eddie. Always loved it.

Also features the wonderful "Maybe" (Roulette mix) by the 3 Degrees!

:shhh:

Sean

Social source share

Here's a Tamla Motown album that I found hard to get , my UK copy actually came from Toronto via Coventry !! This set features loads of great Spinners sides , I'll always love you , Truly yours , Sweet thing , Where is that girl , I just can't help but feel the pain , Cross my heart etc .I used to love those scans of Tamla Motown albums on the dust sleeve and try and collect them all .Best ,Eddie

post-1804-1209132179_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up an album I've never seen before.

Gladys Knight & The Pips "Tastiest Hits" on UK Bell It has all the Maxx recordings.

Is it particularly rare? Is is mint and was only £3.

Also picked up a "Little Bit Of Soul" RCA Comp for £3. And James Brown Raw Soul on UK Pye (contain "Money won't change you") also for £3

The bloke also had quite a few Mint UK Atlantic & Stax things as well, but I'd run out of money.

Not bad for the price though.

Paul

Social source share

Great thread,I have been fortunate enough to pick-up quite a lot of the albums mentioned over the years,and I still DJ with my LP's from time to time:much to the horror of some folk.Infact I heard one chap comment that he thought it was "cheating".

I now make a point of taking them out of the box and spreading them behind the decks for all to see.It's amazing how many people don't really know the quality of the stuff put out on LP's.

If you do own "An album full of" play the Little Eva track and I guarantee people come up asking who it was.

The thing is of course,especially the 1960's Statesides,Actions etc.they just look the Dogs.

Roly

Forgot to mention Duke of Earl - Fontana quite hard.

Edited by Ralston F
Social source share

Great thread,I have been fortunate enough to pick-up quite a lot of the albums mentioned over the years,and I still DJ with my LP's from time to time:much to the horror of some folk.Infact I heard one chap comment that he thought it was "cheating".

I now make a point of taking them out of the box and spreading them behind the decks for all to see.It's amazing how many people don't really know the quality of the stuff put out on LP's.

If you do own "An album full of" play the Little Eva track and I guarantee people come up asking who it was.

The thing is of course,especially the 1960's Statesides,Actions etc.they just look the Dogs.

Roly

Forgot to mention Duke of Earl - Fontana quite hard.

Talking of Gene Chandler albums, "The girl don't care" on Coral is a tough one, and mighty fine too.

Social source share

Talking of Gene Chandler albums, "The girl don't care" on Coral is a tough one, and mighty fine too.

Indeed,don't think I've seen it on Coral. I had it on US Brunswick,hopefully Rob Messer is still baby sitting it for me as I took it to get autographed when Gene Chandler was in Fleetwood a few years back and forgot my records!!

Ta for reminding me, I'm going to give Rob a ring to see if he's still got it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert