Rare Uk Albums

Guest mel brat

100% Pure Poison 1970's Lp is rare, bought it new along with the 45, still have both. Mark @ funkyfeet

Have had several copies of this (and I'm not even a record dealer!) - I gave one copy away to my mate I remember, and sold the single for next to nothing, (£2 tops), C.mid-80s. I found another copy of the album for £2 on Birmingham Rag Market C.1992/3, which was no big deal at the time, as there was no demand for it.

Fortunately though I kept one copy back for myself, as it has some very nice ballad tracks, and I wouldn't wanna buy it back at today's prices!

I wasn't aware the J.J. Barnes album on Contempo was at all hard to find either until I read the comments above. These are things you used to see for sale in stationery shops and the like, and somewhat took it for granted they'd be around forever! (I recall one such shop in Dudley having the Stairsteps album on Dark Horse, alongside sealed copies of "Shifting Gears" by Johnny Hammond @£1.99!)

I sold dozens of 70s UK albums to a second hand record shop C.1976 to finance my drinking habits at the Mecca(!) Some that I had real trouble replacing (in mint/unplayed condition) included;

Paul Kelly - "Don't Burn Me" (WARNER BROS.)

Dionne Warwick - "Just Being Myself" (WARNER BROS) - dozens of US copies of these around, but the deleted UK issues were tough to find.

Various Artists - "The Motown Sound Vol.1" (TAMLA MOTOWN) - 1973 album that includes some great previously unreleased (in the UK) sides, including The Lollipops - "Cheatin' Is Telling On You", Yvonne Fair - "Stay A Little Longer" etc. - it took me years to get a stone mint copy back, and I haven't seen one since!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

• Replies 115
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Interesting thread this - some really rare albums mentioned and some that are really not so rare (if The Fantastic Four album is so unobtainable on UK, why did I struggle to get twenty quid for mine on eBay about 18 months ago?)...

...However, one of the rarest UK albums that I know of is:

V/A - The Unfolding Of The Book Of Life Vol.1 (Island) - a 1968 16 tracker, compiled by James Hamilton, of killer gospel from the Peacock catalogue. The sleeve promised a Vol. 2 and even gives a full track listing, but as far as I know it never came out, not even as a test pressing...

I've had my copy since the early 70s and I've never seen another one or heard of one being offered for sale. (I know that's the cue for Pete to come on and tell me that he's had a palletload...)

Anyone else on this thread own a copy of this astounding album?

Cheeky sod :D

I've never had or seen that LP Tony.

I have had a couple of copies of the Fantastic Four one though.

CSLFMB sounds fantastic in stereo

Social source share

It was on 'Manhattan', a budget priced label that (I think) was something to do with either Ember or President and that drew some of its repertoire from various Canyon labels.

I may be way off with this but doesn't that LP include Mamie Galore - NO right to cry?

sorry didn't realise this had already been said!

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Dont know how rare these are but havent seen any copies around in sales boxes

Soul Sixteen - Stateside

Original Sound of Detroit - Speciality

Steve

No interest in wither of these when I had them for sale 2 years ago and I just asked for offers over £10! May still have Soul Sixteen.

Social source share

Interesting thread this - some really rare albums mentioned and some that are really not so rare (if The Fantastic Four album is so unobtainable on UK, why did I struggle to get twenty quid for mine on eBay about 18 months ago?)...

I know what you mean Tony , had mine on sale on here 4 times now at a very good price , I thought it might fly out the door but.......!!!!!!!!!!!!

what about THE MIRACLES - HI WE'RE THE MIRACLES - ORIOLE and THE FABULOUS MIRACLES - STATESIDE along withTHE CONTOURS - DO YOU LOVE ME - ORIOLE . these are pretty rare ain't they

Social source share

Think you will find, Pete, if you read the posting (you mentioned) again.. you will see it is a compilation album on uk columbia, which INCLUDES the said Artistics track. :D

So, what's the compilation Lp called on UK Columbia with the said Artistics track?

Social source share

A couple more great compilation albums you never see....

The Mar-v-lus sound of R&B & Soul (President, 1967), featuring among others Beverly Shaffer, Josephine Taylor and Jimmy Robins

Non-stop Soul (Polydor, 1969), which includes the likes of Cody Black, Shirley Wahls, Mill Evans and Charles Spurling

Cheers

Nick

Truly magnificent Lp that one on President.

But unfortunately, the Non-Stop Soul Lp has incomplete tracks on it, which is a real shame when it comes to the Cody Black track. :D

Social source share

Another great album is " An album full of soul " on Stateside , contains Dee Irwin " You satisfy my needs " , Brooks O' Dell " You better make up your mind " and Gladys Knight " Stop and get a hold on yourself " and more .......Best ,Eddie

Any chance of a scan of that one? :D

Social source share

...............another one I forgot about is 'Sam and Dave' on Major Minor - is it rare??? It features their Roulette stuff. And what about 'Shake' Sam Cooke - bizarrely picked that one up in an Athens flea market. :D

Any chance of a scan of the Sam & dave Lp?

Social source share

Following on from the UK '45's thread ,as an album collector I'd be interested in what are considered the rarest and best UK albums ? Two to throw into the hat from my own collection " Chartbusters USA " a great compilation of Okeh sides on UK Columbia , includes Walter Jackson " Where have all the flowers gone " and The Artistics " This heart of mine ". My copy came from John Abbeys collection when his ex -wife discarded them to a junk shop. Also Major Lance " The Rhythm of " UK Columbia , never seem to see this around , bought mine off Brian Rae at Wigan for £10 in the 70's .Any more suggestions , there must be loads ...........Cheers ,Eddie

A couple suggestions from me would be;

No.1 In Your Heart Lp - Herbie Goins on UK Parlophone

Sure Things Lp - Little Willie John on UK Parlophone - the only way of having I'm Shakin on a UK label as it's the last track on side two.

Social source share

Think you will find, Pete, if you read the posting (you mentioned) again.. you will see it is a compilation album on uk columbia, which INCLUDES the said Artistics track. :huh:

yep - all clear on that - I've got the v/a lp of okeh stuff on columbia - it's quite a hard one......but........

if you check Record Collector book over the years it suggests the artistics lp get my hands on some lovin' got a uk release too [ eg the 2008 version of the book] ; that's the one I've never seen and don't really believe it was issued ?

pete

Social source share

hi , just reading thread ,got sam and dave on major minor , would put up scan if new how to but dont ,if any one cares to explain then will do tomorrow night , as we have had a very boozy afternooon, sorry if this is mixed up but quite drunk , yours mr j.p. ps what a great thread , as no one seeems to be interested in l p s , collected lp s for the last 30 years , and picked nice stuff up for next to nothing , because everybody wants 45s yuors mr j.p.

Social source share

hi , just reading thread ,got sam and dave on major minor , would put up scan if new how to but dont ,if any one cares to explain then will do tomorrow night , as we have had a very boozy afternooon, sorry if this is mixed up but quite drunk , yours mr j.p. ps what a great thread , as no one seeems to be interested in l p s , collected lp s for the last 30 years , and picked nice stuff up for next to nothing , because everybody wants 45s yuors mr j.p.

Know what you mean about very few collectors into UK Lp's. IO for one am not complaining. :huh:

Social source share

Hi Eddie,

Great thread mate, hows things ? ok I hope.

Anyway I don't claim to have any really rare UK albums but here are a few that have that I consider quite hard to track down,

American Gypsy - American Gypsy - BTM.

The Artistry of Brenda Holloway - Brenda Holloway - Tamla Motown (if my memory serves me well there is no USA release of this stunning album).

The Fantastic Four - The Fantastic Four - Tamla Motown.

Greetings Were The Monitors - The Monitors - Tamla Motown.

Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers - Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers - Tamla Motown.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

You could buy all of the above TM LPs from Woolworths for 14/6d when all the EMI mono Lps were deleted, plus lots of others. The only one I didn't bother with was the "Long march to freedom" Martin Luther King LP. Thank God for a Saturday job next to Woolies in Oxford St!

Social source share

...However, one of the rarest UK albums that I know of is:

V/A - The Unfolding Of The Book Of Life Vol.1 (Island) - a 1968 16 tracker, compiled by James Hamilton, of killer gospel from the Peacock catalogue. The sleeve promised a Vol. 2 and even gives a full track listing, but as far as I know it never came out, not even as a test pressing...

I've had my copy since the early 70s and I've never seen another one or heard of one being offered for sale. (I know that's the cue for Pete to come on and tell me that he's had a palletload...)

Anyone else on this thread own a copy of this astounding album?

Hi Tony

I have this album, not sure if it's volume one or two, I'll have to check tonight when I get in. Can you remember what other artists are on volume 1? Perhaps that will jog my memory.

Both are listed in a couple of Island Album discographies:

https://www.vinylnet.co.uk/label-discograph...iscography.html

Tim

Edited by timthemod
Social source share

Yes , I was thinking that as well Pete , is it a proper label or just a test pressing ? , I know there's no cover to it .This is the one Searling left on his car roof when he drove away isn't it ? Best ,Eddie

it was billy butler who sold it to searling

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi Tony

I have this album, not sure if it's volume one or two, I'll have to check tonight when I get in. Can you remember what other artists are on volume 1? Perhaps that will jog my memory.

Both are listed in a couple of Island Album discographies:

https://www.vinylnet.co.uk/label-discograph...iscography.html

Tim

Hi Tim,

I've just been playing TUOTBOL Vol. 1 for the first time in well over a decade - what a stunning album it still is. It was actually one of the first albums that made me realise that the line between soul and gospel was often almost invisible.

The fantastic "What A Love" by the Gospel Challengers (lead vocalist Jennie Mae "Jean" Stanback) is worth the price of admission on its own...

The Vol. 2 might appear in that Island listing because Island handily provided a full track listing on the back of Vol. 1. (They got the number wrong for Vol. 1, too - it's ILP 993, not 9093, which makes me believe that the discog compiler's probably never even seen Vol. 1, much less vol. 2). But I am certain that it never came out - probably because Vol. 1 was effectively the last "Sue" album to come out (albeit on Island, like Bobby Bland's "A Touch Of The Blues") and by the time Vol. 2 would have been ready for release, the Sue logo had given way to Action over here...

...and it definitely never came out on Action!

Talking of Action albums, I'm of the opinion that by far and away the rarest one is one of the few not to have been mentioned on this thread as yet - Al Greene's "Back Up Train". I've owned two ZZ Hill's (still own one!) and seen at least a dozen others for sale, and the same goes for Betty Harris (which I have on stock and test pressing). But Al is one that just never seems to turn up....

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi Alan

You could buy all of the above TM LPs from Woolworths for 14/6d when all the EMI mono Lps were deleted, plus lots of others. The only one I didn't bother with was the "Long march to freedom" Martin Luther King LP. Thank God for a Saturday job next to Woolies in Oxford St!

The same goes for the three 'rare' London-Fania releases that were mentioned further up the thread - I can remember walking into Woolies in Brixton, when we still had 'old money', and being confronted with at least 100 copies of the Ralph Robles, and probably as many again of the Joe Bataan and Ray Barretto releases, at fourteen-and-a-kick apiece. They also had a stack of the Hesitations "Born Free" album and loads of other deleted monos that I don't now recall.

I didn't buy any of those four, as they didn't look soulful enough for me (especially the Hesitations, given the track listing...) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Talking of Action albums, I'm of the opinion that by far and away the rarest one is one of the few not to have been mentioned on this thread as yet - Al Greene's "Back Up Train". I've owned two ZZ Hill's (still own one!) and seen at least a dozen others for sale, and the same goes for Betty Harris (which I have on stock and test pressing). But Al is one that just never seems to turn up....

Again, another one that I never thought of as rare! White cover, has him in train drivers gear? I'm sure this must be regional, unless Action albums always sold well in Hastings.

Social source share

Hi Tim,

I've just been playing TUOTBOL Vol. 1 for the first time in well over a decade - what a stunning album it still is. It was actually one of the first albums that made me realise that the line between soul and gospel was often almost invisible.

The fantastic "What A Love" by the Gospel Challengers (lead vocalist Jennie Mae "Jean" Stanback) is worth the price of admission on its own...

The Vol. 2 might appear in that Island listing because Island handily provided a full track listing on the back of Vol. 1. (They got the number wrong for Vol. 1, too - it's ILP 993, not 9093, which makes me believe that the discog compiler's probably never even seen Vol. 1, much less vol. 2). But I am certain that it never came out - probably because Vol. 1 was effectively the last "Sue" album to come out (albeit on Island, like Bobby Bland's "A Touch Of The Blues") and by the time Vol. 2 would have been ready for release, the Sue logo had given way to Action over here...

There's only one definitive reference book that deals with Island albums - "The famous British collectable record labels: Island records 1962-1977" by Yuri Grishin. Never seen such an exhaustive and detailed history of a label and it's product. Interestingly, he does not have a label scan or cover photo of the Volume 1 you mention above, unless I'm missing it. He has scans of every other release on Island, Sue, Chrysalis etc. Volume 2 doesn't exist, neither does an Island number ILP 9093.

Have a look at the detail though

https://www.collectable-records.ru/book/island.htm

Social source share

Again, another one that I never thought of as rare! White cover, has him in train drivers gear? I'm sure this must be regional, unless Action albums always sold well in Hastings.

I've got the Al Greene , great album , yes Pete you're correct about the cover .I never seem to see " Action packed soul " various for sale either , a great set with the only UK release of Jeanette Williams " Something good got a hold on me ".Got mine off Pete Widd. for £8 at Wigan oldies .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Following on from the UK '45's thread ,as an album collector I'd be interested in what are considered the rarest and best UK albums ? ...........Cheers ,Eddie

Not sure if they are the rarest or best but four of my most treasured UK albums are ..

Ain't nothing You Can Do - Bobby Bland - Vocalion (pictured)

Call On Me /That's The Way Love Is - Bobby Bland - Vocalion

You Got My Mind Messed Up - James Carr - Stateside

The Duke & The Peacock - Various - Island

The latter opened up a whole new world for me - Bobby Bland, O V Wright, Johhnny Ace etc along with those wonderful 15/- Island albums This Is Sue and This Is Blues (or were they 14/6 ?)

Mike

Edited by Mike Lofthouse
Social source share

Hi Alan

I bet there were some fantastic albums there, the one you left is probably one of the rarer ones.

Our Woolies along with co-op and other department stores had all UK reggae singles and I do remember LP's in other skips but to tell you the truth I didn't look at them plus I don't think I would have recognised some of the obscurer Tamla stuff I would probably played it safe with Supremes, Temptations and Stevie Wonder etc.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

...............another one I forgot about is 'Sam and Dave' on Major Minor - is it rare??? It features their Roulette stuff. And what about 'Shake' Sam Cooke - bizarrely picked that one up in an Athens flea market. :thumbsup:

That's timely- I picked up a lovely Major Minor copy of thislast week from my local record shop in South London.

Social source share

Not sure if they are the rarest or best but four of my most treasured UK albums are ..

Ain't nothing You Can Do - Bobby Bland - Vocalion (pictured)

Call On Me /That's The Way Love Is - Bobby Bland - Vocalion

You Got My Mind Messed Up - James Carr - Stateside

The Duke & The Peacock - Various - Island

The latter opened up a whole new world for me - Bobby Bland, O V Wright, Johhnny Ace etc along with those wonderful 15/- Island albums This Is Sue and This Is Blues (or were they 14/6 ?)

Mike

Some great choices there Mike , however my James Carr is on Bell , sure yours isn't ? Cheers ,Eddie

Social source share

This is a great one as well " Soul sounds of the 60's "on HMV contains the only UK release for " Bye Bye baby " - Betty Everett , also includes " Dust my broom " - Ike and Tina , and the brilliant " In your arms " also by Betty Everett .Cheers ,Eddie

Yeah, got this one Eddie.

Really liked that other one you scanned, Album Full Of . . .

Social source share

Another great album is " An album full of soul " on Stateside , contains Dee Irwin " You satisfy my needs " , Brooks O' Dell " You better make up your mind " and Gladys Knight " Stop and get a hold on yourself " and more .......Best ,Eddie

yes another great Lp. The Clyde Mc Phatter track 'I'll Belong To You" is also good, a different (later?) version to the Decca (I think) 45 on US.

Social source share

I've got the Mighty Sam LP on Soul City, and didn't realise it was particularly rare - what about the Johnnie Taylor LP on Soul City? Is that a rare one as well?

A couple of others I have which I've never seen anywhere else:

Anna King - Back To Soul - Philips

McKinley "Soul" Mitchell - self-titled - President (One-Derful recordings)

And a couple on UK blue Stax which are probably not very rare, but I like them a lot:

Johnnie Taylor - Wanted One Soul Singer

Carla Thomas - The Queen Alone

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I've got the Mighty Sam LP on Soul City, and didn't realise it was particularly rare - what about the Johnnie Taylor LP on Soul City? Is that a rare one as well?

A couple of others I have which I've never seen anywhere else:

Anna King - Back To Soul - Philips

And a couple on UK blue Stax which are probably not very rare, but I like them a lot:

Johnnie Taylor - Wanted One Soul Singer

Carla Thomas - The Queen Alone

Hi Salv,

I'm pretty sure that the Mighty Sam never 'officially' came out - it was pressed in the last days of Soul City, and you could buy it from Monmouth Street for sure, but I can't remember if it was ever distributed, other than as a cutout once the shop had closed.

The Johnnie Taylor is less rare - less rare, in fact, than the Valentinos/Simms Twins Soul city album, both of which I can remember seeing as 'cheapies' in newsagents/hardware stores-type locations for around ten bob, long after SC had gone.

Not much of a bargain in JT's case - back then at any rate - as it was only a 14/6 jobbie in the first place!

Anna King's not so rare - I'm sitting about four feet away from two UK copies as I type, both bought in the last 15 years - but McKinley's certainly a toughie...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Here goes ......

"An Album Full Of Soul" is simply the greatest soul compilation LP of all time, IMO. There are many that are almost its equal, but not one that has ever bettered it.

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

There must be big regional differences i have seen at least one (often quite a few copies) of MOST of the Lp's mentioned in the thread so far.

Then again the south coast seems to be better for lp's than 45s soulwise.

Derek

Social source share

Hi Salv,

How are you doing?

I have the McKinley Mitchell President LP too.

David

Edited by noss
Social source share

"An Album Full Of Soul" is simply the greatest soul compilation LP of all time, IMO. There are many that are almost its equal, but not one that has ever bettered it.

I have now located and purchased a copy of 'An Album Full Of Soul'.

Thanks everybody for all your postings.

This has been a great thread and long may it continue.

I have most of what has been posted to date but the ones I haven't got, indeed, didn't even know about, has re-awakened my love and collecting instincts for more Lp's.

Thanks again.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert