Rare Uk Albums

Following on from the UK '45's thread ,as an album collector I'd be interested in what are considered the rarest and best UK albums ? Two to throw into the hat from my own collection " Chartbusters USA " a great compilation of Okeh sides on UK Columbia , includes Walter Jackson " Where have all the flowers gone " and The Artistics " This heart of mine ". My copy came from John Abbeys collection when his ex -wife discarded them to a junk shop. Also Major Lance " The Rhythm of " UK Columbia , never seem to see this around , bought mine off Brian Rae at Wigan for £10 in the 70's .Any more suggestions , there must be loads ...........Cheers ,Eddie

Social source share

• Replies 115
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Marvellous Marvelettes

Martha Reeves - Come And Get these Memories - Oriole

Mighty Sam - Soul City album.

Betty Harris - Soul Perfection - Action

Baby Washington - With You In Mind - United Artists

Bobby Bland - Two Steps From The Blues - Vocalion

The Betty Harris album is a great one as are all the Action albums ,Bobby Bland - Piece of gold , Al Greene - Back up train , Action packed soul [ various ] etc .Never seen the Mighty Sam for sale , got to be a tough one .Thanks ,Eddie

Social source share

I've got all of the Soul City and Action label albums... the Mighty Sam and The Betty Harris were definately the hardest to find...

I think most copies of the Mighty Sam had been exported to Japan by now.

Another hard Action album is the "These Kind Of Blues" various artists... John Manships never had one... I've got two... cool.gif

Social source share

I've got all of the Soul City and Action label albums... the Mighty Sam and The Betty Harris were definately the hardest to find...

Another hard Action album is the "These Kind Of Blues" various artists... John Manships never had one... I've got two... cool.gif

Wow , whats on the " These kind of blues " set ? Best ,Eddie

Social source share

These Kind of Blues Action LP

Side One,

Fention Robinson....Tennessee Woman.

Bobby Bland.... Little Boy Blue.

Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown....Okie Dokie Stomp.

Larry Davis....Texas Flood.

Willie Mae Thornton....Hound Dog.

Johnny Ace....Pledging My Love.

Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown....You Got Money.

Junior Parker....These Kind of Blues- part 1

Side Two,

Junior Parker....These Kind of Blues- part 2

Jimmy McCracklin....She's Gone.

Fention Robinson....You've Got to Pass This Way Again.

Bobby Bland....Bobby's Blues.

Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown....Just Before Dawn.

Junior Parker....That's Alright

Roscoe Gordon....Keep on Doggin'.

Bobby Bland....Stormy Monday Blues

Social source share

Following on from the UK '45's thread ,as an album collector I'd be interested in what are considered the rarest and best UK albums ? Two to throw into the hat from my own collection " Chartbusters USA " a great compilation of Okeh sides on UK Columbia , includes Walter Jackson " Where have all the flowers gone " and The Artistics " This heart of mine ". My copy came from John Abbeys collection when his ex -wife discarded them to a junk shop. Also Major Lance " The Rhythm of " UK Columbia , never seem to see this around , bought mine off Brian Rae at Wigan for £10 in the 70's .Any more suggestions , there must be loads ...........Cheers ,Eddie

I sold my copy of the stated LP - autographed by ML - to Dave Appleyard for £15.00 , at the very first Cleethorpes Pier All - Nighter .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

These Kind of Blues Action LP

Side One,

Fention Robinson....Tennessee Woman.

Bobby Bland.... Little Boy Blue.

Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown....Okie Dokie Stomp.

Larry Davis....Texas Flood.

Willie Mae Thornton....Hound Dog.

Johnny Ace....Pledging My Love.

Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown....You Got Money.

Junior Parker....These Kind of Blues- part 1

Side Two,

Junior Parker....These Kind of Blues- part 2

Jimmy McCracklin....She's Gone.

Fention Robinson....You've Got to Pass This Way Again.

Bobby Bland....Bobby's Blues.

Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown....Just Before Dawn.

Junior Parker....That's Alright

Roscoe Gordon....Keep on Doggin'.

Bobby Bland....Stormy Monday Blues

Cheers Pikey , lots I don't know there , probably didn't sell a bean ? Many thanks ,Eddie

Social source share

Thats weird cos I've had 2 Betty Harris', both easy pickings, one a boot fair job and one a record fair £10 purchase, but the boot fair one was unusual in that it was white label with handwritten credits.

Social source share

not really a straight answer to the question - but I don't believe the Artistics LP - get my hands on some loving was released on UK Columbia as RC has said it was / wasn't / might have been , over the years .

unless anyone know better ?

[ after keeping an eye out for it for more than 30 years ! ]

pete

Social source share

Dont know how rare this one is - Joyce Bond on Windmill but it took me bloody years to obtain it :shades:

I played it out at our last soul night and kenny Burrell said he had never heard her version of "Make me Yours" before.

I have this,posted up "make me yours"years ago on Soulsource........not one the best albums i ever heard.

Social source share

not really a straight answer to the question - but I don't believe the Artistics LP - get my hands on some loving was released on UK Columbia as RC has said it was / wasn't / might have been , over the years .

unless anyone know better ?

[ after keeping an eye out for it for more than 30 years ! ]

pete

Think you will find, Pete, if you read the posting (you mentioned) again.. you will see it is a compilation album on uk columbia, which INCLUDES the said Artistics track. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I got a copy of 'We remember Sam Cooke' by the Supremes on Tamla Motown at a car boot a couple of years ago for £3

Steve

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

How much is rare cause what about Jimmy James - A New Religon album that is a pretty good album but do people class it as rare

Surely a lot of UK Motown albums are rare, i not know if they are American cause i thought American albums would be like singles not on the black Motown label

Social source share

How much is rare cause what about Jimmy James - A New Religon album that is a pretty good album but do people class it as rare

Surely a lot of UK Motown albums are rare, i not know if they are American cause i thought American albums would be like singles not on the black Motown label

And the 3 FANIA Lps on London are VERY collectable - Ralph Robles - Taking over / Joe Battan - Riot / Ray Barretto - Acid

All well into 3 figures these days - and very hard to prise off collectors !!!

Social source share

For what its worth, I have copies of the following :-

Otis Redding in Europe (live recording)...UK Stax 1968

The NEW Lee Dorsey....UK Stateside (mono) 1966

The Motown Sound Vol 16 (mono)

Bell Cellar of Soul Volumes 1,2,3.....NOW these YOU dont see :lol:

Social source share

What about the Wallace Brothers LP on Sue?? I certainly got a hefty amount of trade for it about 10 years ago.

I bought it off a bloke who had it from new - he only collected LP's and even though I got third dibs, there was plenty of stuff in there - they'd cleared him out of all the Tamla stuff but had left such as ZZ Hill, a nice Jimmy Holiday on Minit, Jackie Edwards amongst others. Thinking back, I think the pair must have had cloth ears thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Interesting thread this - some really rare albums mentioned and some that are really not so rare (if The Fantastic Four album is so unobtainable on UK, why did I struggle to get twenty quid for mine on eBay about 18 months ago?)...

...However, one of the rarest UK albums that I know of is:

V/A - The Unfolding Of The Book Of Life Vol.1 (Island) - a 1968 16 tracker, compiled by James Hamilton, of killer gospel from the Peacock catalogue. The sleeve promised a Vol. 2 and even gives a full track listing, but as far as I know it never came out, not even as a test pressing...

I've had my copy since the early 70s and I've never seen another one or heard of one being offered for sale. (I know that's the cue for Pete to come on and tell me that he's had a palletload...)

Anyone else on this thread own a copy of this astounding album?

Social source share

Has anyone got a copy for sale:

THE GROOVESVILLE MASTERS - JJ BARNES (CONTEMPO)

Neil,

I may be able to get you a spare on Japanese Contempo, if that is of use? PM me.

:thumbup:

I often stumble across UK pressed LPs over here in Japan, including a fair amount of rarer UK Tamla Motown numbers...found a Prime of Shorty Long on STML11144 not too long ago (for sale if anyone needs it?).

:unsure:

Edited by Anoraks Corner
Social source share

Hi Eddie,

Great thread mate, hows things ? ok I hope.

Anyway I don't claim to have any really rare UK albums but here are a few that have that I consider quite hard to track down,

American Gypsy - American Gypsy - BTM.

The Artistry of Brenda Holloway - Brenda Holloway - Tamla Motown (if my memory serves me well there is no USA release of this stunning album).

The Fantastic Four - The Fantastic Four - Tamla Motown.

Greetings Were The Monitors - The Monitors - Tamla Motown.

Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers - Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers - Tamla Motown.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

got two of that one as well...

:thumbsup:

ZZ Hill? Me too, on both Kent and Action, so can't be that rare?

Edited by noss
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

what about " doris duke and friends" cant remember the label ... but ive never seen one!

dave

It was on 'Manhattan', a budget priced label that (I think) was something to do with either Ember or President and that drew some of its repertoire from various Canyon labels.

As it happens, one of my favourite albums of all time is on Manhattan - 'Can I Change My Mind' by 'Tyrone Davis', which doesn't feature that song or, for that matter,TD. It's actually the unissued Canyon album by Rudy Love, with a wonderful version of the Whispers "Where Have You Been" among its many highlights...

Social source share

Guest Darks

It was on 'Manhattan', a budget priced label that (I think) was something to do with either Ember or President and that drew some of its repertoire from various Canyon labels.

As it happens, one of my favourite albums of all time is on Manhattan - 'Can I Change My Mind' by 'Tyrone Davis', which doesn't feature that song or, for that matter,TD. It's actually the unissued Canyon album by Rudy Love, with a wonderful version of the Whispers "Where Have You Been" among its many highlights...

Thanks Tony for solving this one for me. I've had the "Brother Tyrone Davis" for years and wondered who he was. "Where have you been" really is the business and as i remember theres a version of "I've gotta find somebody" the Betty Everitt song. Anyone know why it was attributed to TD? Seems odd. Must re-visit this one, not played in a while.

Theres also a stand out Northern track on the Doris Duke and Friends which clearly is'nt DD. Not got that one but remember them being around.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Thanks Tony for solving this one for me. I've had the "Brother Tyrone Davis" for years and wondered who he was. "Where have you been" really is the business and as i remember theres a version of "I've gotta find somebody" the Betty Everitt song. Anyone know why it was attributed to TD? Seems odd. Must re-visit this one, not played in a while.

Theres also a stand out Northern track on the Doris Duke and Friends which clearly is'nt DD. Not got that one but remember them being around.

Regards Alan

aye up fella

hope all is well. the track from memory is mamie galore - no right to cry- sack. not sure if i've still got the lp somewhere - think got one from expansion when was on corporation st.

take it easy

phil

ps hope you had a tasty meal the other weekend and happy birthday

Social source share

Dont know how rare these are but havent seen any copies around in sales boxes

Soul Sixteen - Stateside

Original Sound of Detroit - Speciality

Steve

Social source share

Regards Alan

If you look at Tyrone Davis' biography , you'll see that he before he had his first commercial hit with Can I Change My Mind he cut some sides with West Coast record label owner and producer Wally Roker, who was the guy behind Canyon and Soul Clock , so one presumes that when Tyrone hit big maybe Roker flogged the Rudy Love tapes as being by "Tyrone Davis" ....

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Hi Eddie,

Great thread mate, hows things ? ok I hope.

Anyway I don't claim to have any really rare UK albums but here are a few that have that I consider quite hard to track down,

American Gypsy - American Gypsy - BTM.

The Artistry of Brenda Holloway - Brenda Holloway - Tamla Motown (if my memory serves me well there is no USA release of this stunning album).

The Fantastic Four - The Fantastic Four - Tamla Motown.

Greetings Were The Monitors - The Monitors - Tamla Motown.

Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers - Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers - Tamla Motown.

Regards

Alan

Thanks for your suggestions Alan , one of my best days record wise , was walking into a record fair locally and getting practically mint copies of Brenda Holloway album for £20 , and all 3 Bell cellar full of soul albums for £8 each . You're right ,Brenda never got released Stateside .Hope you're well mate ,Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Guest Darks

aye up fella

hope all is well. the track from memory is mamie galore - no right to cry- sack. not sure if i've still got the lp somewhere - think got one from expansion when was on corporation st.

take it easy

phil

Yes that's the one. Again a bit of a mystery why attribute to DD. I suppose she got a lot of exposure via Contempo but not so much that you would make any money on a cash in even by other artists. These albums would have sold zilch. Anyone know if there are any more?

Good meal Phil but not the same without you. And I mean that most sincerely.

Regards Alan

Social source share

A couple more great compilation albums you never see....

The Mar-v-lus sound of R&B & Soul (President, 1967), featuring among others Beverly Shaffer, Josephine Taylor and Jimmy Robins

Non-stop Soul (Polydor, 1969), which includes the likes of Cody Black, Shirley Wahls, Mill Evans and Charles Spurling

Cheers

Nick

Social source share

...............another one I forgot about is 'Sam and Dave' on Major Minor - is it rare??? It features their Roulette stuff. And what about 'Shake' Sam Cooke - bizarrely picked that one up in an Athens flea market. :D

Social source share

Guest mel brat

...............another one I forgot about is 'Sam and Dave' on Major Minor - is it rare??? It features their Roulette stuff. And what about 'Shake' Sam Cooke - bizarrely picked that one up in an Athens flea market. :D

The Sam & Dave album of their Roulette recordings on Major Minor was originally issued on the UK KING label (same as the Mary Love single etc.). A batch of the King label copies turned up in mint condition a few years ago, so perhaps the Major Minor is now more rare, I dunno!

Social source share

aye up fella

take it easy

phil

ihope you find it then i can buy it off you? :D:lol::lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert