John Fred

I remember John Fred Judy in Disguise been played in the discos around Birmingham in the late 60's . yesterday on Sounds of the 60's Brian Matthew played the follow up Hey Hey Bunny and it really is good well as good as any of the Mitch Ryder tracks just tried to up load to Refosoul and balls it up any one else hear it

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I remember John Fred Judy in Disguise been played in the discos around Birmingham in the late 60's . yesterday on Sounds of the 60's Brian Matthew played the follow up Hey Hey Bunny and it really is good well as good as any of the Mitch Ryder tracks just tried to up load to Refosoul and balls it up any one else hear it

Hey hey Bunny was played on the scene at , I think, the Torch or maybe late Wheel. It certainly was played as an oldie in Mr Ms, Wigan around '74, 75.

Track below.

Paul

Edited by Paul r
Social source share

Guest Bogue

Hey hey Bunny was played on the scene at , I think, the Torch or maybe late Wheel. It certainly was played as an oldie in Mr Ms, Wigan around '74, 75.

Track below.

Paul

:rolleyes: & later, i can remember hearing it played . Don't think it would go down well now though.

He did a version of Fortune Teller too didn't he, Ok but not a patch on the two main contenders.

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Difficult to beat Judy methinks - so good I bought two of 'em........

post-9434-1208127019_thumb.jpgpost-9434-1208127046_thumb.jpg

But whatever you do, DO NOT look at this otherwise it'll put you off for life. John Fred IS the young John Cleese.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtUng2PxaAY...feature=related

Ian D :rolleyes:

:thumbsup: He does a bit ! Swear i saw Godper from porridge & John Parrot in his band too !! About a quarter of the way through when a couple of faces flash up one after the other :shades:

Agree great pair of trousers too !! :thumbup:

Social source share

:rolleyes: You're now talking about joke records surely John Fred wouldn't have been played in any decent Mnchester club apart from the really cheesy ones .

Please don't besmurch the Wheel name with such shite.

Brian

I think they were talking about 'Hey Hey Bunny' rather then 'Judy' Bri. Can't see it ever been played at the Wheel as you say....

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Track below.

Paul

" HHB " was certainly played at The Torch , but definately not at The Wheel ........

I cannot recall who first played it , it was either Minsh or Skewesey , with I have a feeling that the culprit was the latter ........

I heard it played on Brian Matthews' excellent " Sounds Of The Sixties " show on Radio 2 on Saturday morning , and for me , it was the first time I have heard it since Stoke ..........

It now sounds very dated I am afraid .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Difficult to beat Judy methinks - so good I bought two of 'em........

post-9434-1208127019_thumb.jpgpost-9434-1208127046_thumb.jpg

But whatever you do, DO NOT look at this otherwise it'll put you off for life. John Fred IS the young John Cleese.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtUng2PxaAY...feature=related

Ian D :thumbsup:

TROUSERS!!!!!! :rolleyes::thumbup::shades:

Essentially the same LP.

Also have it by Offenbach.

Paula_LPS-2197.gif

Paula_LPS-2197-2.gif

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Correctumondo , Roger ........

It used to fetch a bob or two , before copies were found .........

Godawful record then , even more godawful now ..........

John Fred

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Fred (born John Fred Gourrier, 8 May 1941 - 14 April 2005) was a blue-eyed soul, Cajun swamp pop and bubble-gum pop performer from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, best known for the song, "Judy in Disguise (With Glasses)"

His group John Fred and the Playboys were formed in 1956; their first hit single was 1958's "Shirley". He appeared on Alan Freed's show, but when Dick Clark asked him to sing on American Bandstand, Fred had to turn him down because he had to play in a basketball game.

In 1967 Fred and band member Andrew Bernard co-wrote "Judy in Disguise", a parody of The Beatles song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". The song became enormously successful, ironically knocking another Beatles song ("Hello, Goodbye") out of the #1 chart position on the Billboard Hot 100 for two weeks in January 1968 . Although Fred actually had a well-rehearsed and talented group honed by years on the road, now known as John Fred & His Playboy Band, he was branded as a novelty act and never had another success. Only after years of struggles did Fred obtain full legal rights to "Judy in Disguise" and its royalties.

Fred continued to perform in bands, coached high school basketball and baseball, remained a fixture at concerts and shows in his hometown, and hosted a popular local radio show, The Roots of Rock 'n' Roll. In 2002 he released his final album, Somebody's Knockin. In 2004 his health began to fail and he received a kidney transplant. Complications ensued, culminating in a long hospital stay, and finally, death in 2005. Fred was survived by his wife, Sandra, and a son.

In April of 2007, The Louisiana Music Hall Of Fame honored John Fred (Gourrier) for his contributions to Louisiana music by inducting him into The Louisiana Music Hall Of Fame.

Malc Burton

Hi Malc

Yes, I thought it was played at The Torch, thanks for confirming & thanks for the Info.

Regarding the L.P., It looks like it was re-titled due to the success of "Judy In Disguise".

RE: "Judy in Disguise", a parody of The Beatles song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"

The front of the Album changed, & you can see the "Lucy In The Sky" link in the Artwork,

Number and Back remained the same "Agnes English".

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert