• Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

How many tracks are 'first time on cd'.

Ed

It depends what qualifies as a CD. Several have been out as record dubs, often in poor quality on dubiously licensed comps or out and out boots. Here it's mainly masters with bonuses like 15 secs of the Quotations, which sounds great; unissued Eddie & Ernie Columbia master, Ty Karim and Larry Atkins sounding crisp and clean, Brooks O'Dell for the first time on a Northern CD. The Flowers hasn't been out on CD and probably not Tommy Smiley (fascinating story about his whereabouts!) and I can't be arsed to see what others have already been bootlegged on CD.

Social source share

The Quotations is an awesome record. Have you tracked down the people behind it Ady?

Yes it's David Blake who also produced Frank Dell with Phil Medley, and Bob Calilli who ran DiVenus. They also sent me a 10" acetate of a brilliant unissued track by the Quotations called 'I Want to Thank You baby' that I played at the 100 on Sat and it even impressed Butch, and went down well.

Social source share

Yes it's David Blake who also produced Frank Dell with Phil Medley, and Bob Calilli who ran DiVenus. They also sent me a 10" acetate of a brilliant unissued track by the Quotations called 'I Want to Thank You baby' that I played at the 100 on Sat and it even impressed Butch, and went down well.

must be good!.Sold my Quotations some time back,another regret.Still turns up now and again tho'.btw,,the DiVenus label is one of my fave designs!!.

Is the Eddie and Ernie a different cut from the Jay Boy one Ady?.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

must be good!.Sold my Quotations some time back,another regret.Still turns up now and again tho'.btw,,the DiVenus label is one of my fave designs!!.

Is the Eddie and Ernie a different cut from the Jay Boy one Ady?.

Yes Kev, I ramble on about it in the sleevenotes but basically it's the first run through of the song in late 66 before the JayBoy version. It's quite different, probably just Eddie singing.

Social source share

12. Together Forever - PAT POWDRILL & THE POWERDRILLS

I don't know this but have "Breaking Point" (Reprise I think). Do y'all know it? Probably, it's an oldie but a nice chooon all the same.

Paul

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Hello. my name is Atlantis Price and my father's name is Jimmie Wilson. He heard from Carl Williams, who heard from Van, who heard from Dave Blake that their record has been getting play and wanted to get more details. On the record my father is baritone, Carl Williams is lead and Van is 2nd tenor. My father and Carl Williams are currently performing with a group in Springfield, MA called InTime. However, they would love to come if there is interest in the group performing the original Quotations material. My father is also involved with the Drums no guns organization and performs regularly with CeCe Calloway- the legendary Cab Calloway's daughter. I was asked to direct you to www.Drumsnoguns.org and www.thehidehoblog.com .

Again, please let me know if you are interested in them performing live.

post-12069-1213191003_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Hello. my name is Atlantis Price and my father's name is Jimmie Wilson. He heard from Carl Williams, who heard from Van, who heard from Dave Blake that their record has been getting play and wanted to get more details. On the record my father is baritone, Carl Williams is lead and Van is 2nd tenor. My father and Carl Williams are currently performing with a group in Springfield, MA called InTime. However, they would love to come if there is interest in the group performing the original Quotations material. My father is also involved with the Drums no guns organization and performs regularly with CeCe Calloway- the legendary Cab Calloway's daughter. I was asked to direct you to www.Drumsnoguns.org and www.thehidehoblog.com .

It would be great if you could post up a full discography, maybe with scans of all their records if you or your dad (or anyone) has copies? Sound clips would be better still.

Please pass on to your dad etc that I Don't Have To Worry is (to my ears) one of the best little-known soul records of all time.

cheers

Social source share

What a wonderful thing Internet is, eh?

I just love to see posts like these.

Apart from the vinyl scans, let's see some pics of live performances, studio shots, anything.

Yet another CD on my pre-order list. :wave:

M

p.s. Drums No Guns is a very honourable venture too.

American gun culture is one of the things we Europeans find most difficult to comprehend.

Social source share

Don & Ron - what a sound that is!

It is indeed Pete & a regular spin at Solid Hit Soul as is Harvey & Seven Sounds. Brilliant record tho a touch slow, not that I care I play it anyway :lol:

Will Don & Ron now get released thereby ensuring that you hear it everywhere from those who don't care about playing originals ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert