The Crusaders - Put It Where You Want It - Blue Thumb

Was speaking to some old timers from the Torch & Mecca days and they say that, in the early 70's, this Crusaders instrumental was one of the biggest sounds around for a time.

This was a time, I guess, when the scene played quality instrumentals for their musical merit ... before things got silly a few years later.

Anyone with any thoughts or memories of this Crusaders track?

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Was speaking to some old timers from the Torch & Mecca days and they say that, in the early 70's, this Crusaders instrumental was one of the biggest sounds around for a time.

This was a time, I guess, when the scene played quality instrumentals for their musical merit ... before things got silly a few years later.

Anyone with any thoughts or memories of this Crusaders track?

Yep! bought it as an import back in the day.... Blue Thumb was the lable got a Uk release soon after ( always a bit of a bummer loss of exclusivity etc.) seem to remember Nino Tempo covered it.

As you rightly say things got a bit silly with the next big ABC instro being Cochise :unsure:

John

Social source share

Yep! bought it as an import back in the day.... Blue Thumb was the lable got a Uk release soon after ( always a bit of a bummer loss of exclusivity etc.) seem to remember Nino Tempo covered it.

As you rightly say things got a bit silly with the next big ABC instro being Cochise :unsure:

John

I guess other big instrumentals (before instrumental - mania became silly) were things like King Errison "Zola" and of course the greatest northern soul instrumental of all Young Holt's " California Montage " :ohmy:

Social source share

I guess other big instrumentals (before instrumental - mania became silly) were things like King Errison "Zola" and of course the greatest northern soul instrumental of all Young Holt's " California Montage " :unsure:

I always loved (and still do) Strings A Go Go - Bob Wilson (Soul Galore Pressing) - played it to death in my house :ohmy: P

(Sorry nothing to do with Crusaders track, sorry SS)) Got the UK Crusaders, yeh great.

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

I guess other big instrumentals (before instrumental - mania became silly) were things like King Errison "Zola" and of course the greatest northern soul instrumental of all Young Holt's " California Montage " :unsure:

I know it is all a matter of opinion, but to my ears California Montage is pure elevator music. I'm not criticising the pedigree of the musicians, but I don't get it as a soul, or Northern thing. I do love northern instrumentals though. Mike & Ike, Hank Jacobs, Fathers Angels, Checkerboards, Rat Race etc.

Wasn't the Nino Temple version of "Put It Where You Want It" a vocal?

Paul

Social source share

I know it is all a matter of opinion, but to my ears California Montage is pure elevator music. I'm not criticising the pedigree of the musicians, but I don't get it as a soul, or Northern thing. I do love northern instrumentals though. Mike & Ike, Hank Jacobs, Fathers Angels, Checkerboards, Rat Race etc.

Paul

Yes, with his sister April stevens, came out on UK A&M.

and very average it is too.

Tony

Social source share

Still love this track, was very popular at Yate as well. I have a few of them but it never sells, still a great track though.

Remember seeing them at Bristol's Colston Hall, Randy Crawford was with them, singing 'Street Life'. She wasn't billed, and did the intro from off stage and then to everyone suprise stepped on stage, she was great. For their encore they came on and said "for all you old jazz funkers here's a classic". Then played this, brought the house down.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Still love this track, was very popular at Yate as well. I have a few of them but it never sells, still a great track though.

Remember seeing them at Bristol's Colston Hall, Randy Crawford was with them, singing 'Street Life'. She wasn't billed, and did the intro from off stage and then to everyone suprise stepped on stage, she was great. For their encore they came on and said "for all you old jazz funkers here's a classic". Then played this, brought the house down.

And what a talented band of musicians they were (are) Wilton Felder,Stix Hooper,Wayne Henderson Joe Sample , I saw them with Airto at The Empire and Miss Crawford came out to sing with them in the same way.

Always liked the solo Joe Sample outing 'There are many stops along the way' This could have got northern plays if it had been shorter IMHO

:D

Social source share

Guest mel brat

This was a time, I guess, when the scene played quality instrumentals for their musical merit ... before things got silly a few years later....

Yes. Back in the days when the Northern scene was FAR more relaxed and experimental, and less obsessed with the "rarity" of a side for it's own sake!

Social source share

Paul

Re California Montage...Maybe its a " you had to be there" thing as I love it, everytime I hear it (which isnt often) I am immediatly transported back to the Mecca, they ended the nights with this, Levine/Curtis era and I can remember the feeling of "shit the nights finnished" and then trying to find a lift over to wigan. Great tune :thumbup:

Rob.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert