Sean Levert - R & B Singer Found Dead

Guest Dr Bob Jones

Guest Dr Bob Jones

Just got this from friends in Chicago :-

'CLEVELAND -- Sean Levert, the younger brother of R&B singer Gerald Levert and son of Eddie Levert of the O'Jays, died late Sunday night.

Levert, 39, died at 11:57 p.m. at Lutheran Hospital after being transported to the facility from the Cuyahoga County Jail. Sean Levert had gone to the jail infirmary complaining he was sick. The baby brother of late singer Gerald Levert was sentenced to 22 months in jail for failing to pay child support.

It was in November that Sean Levert started singing again. He talked with News Channel 5 about finishing a project -- bringing the group back together -- that his brother started.

Gerald Levert died Nov. 10, 2006. He was found dead in his bed at his Newbury home.

"Sometimes I'll have my moments, but right now I think I'm in a happier stage thinking about the good times we had together," Sean Levert had said.

Gerald Levert started his career as the lead singer of the R&B trio Levert before pursuing a solo career.'

sad times for the family Levert

Dr Bob Jones :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

'CLEVELAND -- Sean Levert, the younger brother of R&B singer Gerald Levert and son of Eddie Levert of the O'Jays, died late Sunday night.

Levert, 39, died at 11:57 p.m. at Lutheran Hospital after being transported to the facility from the Cuyahoga County Jail. Sean Levert had gone to the jail infirmary complaining he was sick. The baby brother of late singer Gerald Levert was sentenced to 22 months in jail for failing to pay child support.

It was in November that Sean Levert started singing again. He talked with News Channel 5 about finishing a project -- bringing the group back together -- that his brother started.

Gerald Levert died Nov. 10, 2006. He was found dead in his bed at his Newbury home.

"Sometimes I'll have my moments, but right now I think I'm in a happier stage thinking about the good times we had together," Sean Levert had said.

Gerald Levert started his career as the lead singer of the R&B trio Levert before pursuing a solo career.'

Dr Bob Jones :yes:

Just heard this from a friend in Chicago, and then saw your post Bob. Unbelievable!!! Like you said, sad times for the Levert family. Poor Eddie. For a parent to bury two childern in such a short space of time is tragic. It's getting little or no coverage in the mainstream media, but is one of the main topics of conversation in the black community, according to my buddy in the US. I'll be spinning some Levert tracks (again) at home tonight......

Martin.

Social source share

Guest nubes

Dr Bob Jones :)

To bury one child ..is a parent's worst nightmare.....two???...cannot even begin or want to imagine that anguish....Delx

Social source share

To bury one child ..is a parent's worst nightmare.....two???...cannot even begin or want to imagine that anguish....Delx

No one should have to go thru' that nightmare.

Saw the O'Jays on a couple of occasions in the 70's.

Consummate professionals.

Deepest respect.

Social source share

Shocked and saddened to read this, Bob.

Always been a huge fan of the Levert clan.

Just found this text on the net:-

LeVert fans grieving the sudden death of Sean Levert can take comfort in a glimmer of good news: A revamped version of the R&B trio from Cleveland recently finished recording a new album, under the name LeVert II.

"It's a really good project," said group co-founder Marc Gordon, 43, of South Euclid.

The album is titled "Dedication." Gordon hopes to release the title track as a single in a few weeks, with the album due out by this summer.

Sean, 39, died Sunday night after becoming ill at the Cuyahoga County Jail. He was set to serve 22 months in state prison for failing to pay nearly $90,000 in child support for three of his children.

His older brother, Gerald, fronted the original LeVert. He died Nov. 10, 2006, of an accidental overdose of prescription and over-the-counter medications. He was 40.

Their father is Eddie Levert of the O'Jays.

Sean and Gordon resumed performing last year with various stand-in vocalists. They began work on the album in November, joined by new singer Roosevelt "Black Rose" Griffin of Youngstown.

They recorded 15 songs, including a collaboration with the O'Jays titled "What a Woman."

The new material is reminiscent of the classic LeVert sound, with one key difference, Gordon said Thursday during a phone interview.

"It's different because we don't have Gerald," he said. "I didn't want to try to duplicate that."

The Levert brothers and Gordon first crossed paths when they were in high school. LeVert released its debut, "I Get Hot," in 1985. The trio's string of hits included the Top 5 single "Casanova." Gerald went solo in 1991.

Losing Gerald and Sean in the span of 16 months has left Gordon reeling. "They were my brothers," he said.

Sean's autopsy was inconclusive, pending the results of toxicology tests. The county coroner found no obvious signs of foul play or trauma.

Sean's family has called for an FBI investigation of his death.

Sean phoned Gordon from jail Thursday, March 27, three days before he died. "He sounded normal," Gordon said.

Sean "was a good father," Gordon said. "He wasn't like people are trying to make him out to be.

"A lot of work hasn't been done since Gerald died. The kind of money people are looking for, Sean just didn't have it."

A private service for Sean was to be held Thursday. The public can sign a guest book between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. today at the E.F. Boyd & Sons Funeral Home, 2165 East 89th St., Cleveland.

R.I.P.

Social source share

Hard to believe this has happened. Both Levert brothers died so young. My thoughts go out to the rest of the family. Thinking about Eddie Levert who outlives both his sons, imagine how he must be feeling at this moment, it´s all so tragic.

Gerald & Sean were both such talented singers, songwriters and producers, also doing really nice things together with a number of other acts (Riff, Silk etc.).

Sean Levert recorded at least one solo album, is there anyone who can put up one of the best tracks in honour of Sean please?!?!

R.I.P. Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert