Duffy's Dancers

Barry

i grew up in chernobyl and soul music was my only escape. i know where you are coming from gemma although my other half has just spewed up a big green pile of nuclear waste after reading your post.

on a serious note i have just received a text from young paul b. he tells me that a fatty will be ceremoniously slaughtered at the next event.

shane

And his wide pants set on fire and stamped out by all the gang, just like some of them Muslims do to the American flag on channle four news.. :lol:

:ohmy::lol:

Time to put this to bed... As i said before hundreds of nights to choose from, go where you want...

I have promoted nights of this type since 1988 in Manchester and its a nice change to the regular scene, its good to have something different with a fresh feel and that works in the big city...

Like every topic on here you get a different take on what is right and wrong, never gonna get all the folk on one side, no never,thats what makes the forum what it is sometimes.. Just like forums on trains/football/ comic mags etc etc.. people will have a passion for something that others think is naff, the thats the way of the world..

I don't give a foooooooooooooook if some folk don't like what i love, i just gather the people around me who feel the same way...

mOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE ON INDEED...

Social source share

• Replies 114
  • Views 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

You only have to do a bit of surfing on myspace or even look in the Guardian guide to see that there are loads of nights all over the place playing 60's, soul, ska, funk, R&B, etc that are outside the radar of the 'northern soul set'. There are plenty of younger people interested in this music (as well as dance, house, electro etc) and they do know their tunes.

I DJd at a friend's wedding last summer and found myself behind the decks with Carl Barratt of Dirty Pretty Things (they are a modern group popular with the young folks) and he had a jolly good rummage through my tunes and came up with some cracking choices (he's a big Jackie Wilson fan).

My daughter and her friends who are in their 20's know this music because they have grown up with it. Of course they have their own scene as well. We should think ourselves lucky because we have grown up with a massive choice of fantastic music from 50's to now.

Good luck to Paul and Liam and all the other promoters who are keeping this music out there and giving people a choice.

Edited by kathdj
Social source share

goodluck tonight liam live on german tele cologne i think dancing for duffy have a grossen bier bitte for me top class 100% soul boy

Social source share

Guest Carrie Mehome

No way Bernadette! You do not look 45 no way! smile.gif

couldn't agree more...totally amuses me all the people sitting around at various dos...half expect the dominos to come out :shades: and i'm no spring chick at 45 and been on this wonderful scene of ours since the 70s...some of us older ones still have a spring in our step and shouldn't be written off :ohmy:
Social source share

Alright Barry,

I was the lad mentioning the baggy pants and that. It was just an off the wall comment really. The point i was trying to make was that for the music to go forward and attract a younger crowd then they need to have their own club to listen to the music that is filled with people their own age.

Everytime northern soul is mentioned on tv then straight away its cue footage of fat man with baggy pants on. I was just saying that there's more to the music and the scene than that. And really I was trying to get accross the fact that there's big potential to get a cool night going with good music and nicely dressed young folk. But one of the problems in this country is that northern soul is thought of as an old persons scene and young people won't really give it a chance in its current format, ie in some working mens club with people their Dads age dancing about. I personally have no problem with these nights but it would put others off.

Hiya Paul, for yrs now lve been saying that if we dont get more young blood onto the scene then its gonna die out with us old dedicated soul music lovers. I aint no spring chicken m8, but l love wot l know, and know wot l love, it`s been a long time since lve used the term"Northern Soul" mainly because l believe soul music is soul music and its a shame to catogarise( cant spell soz) it.

Oldies, 70`s 80`s , crossover , modern ???????????, if its got a soulful beat and it stirs the emotions then its good soul music and should be played, unfortuneately there are many D.J.`s/ soul fans stuck well and truely in the past and refuse to progress forward, 70`s and 80`s got slated way back in my old wigan days, why? god only knows , Because many of the soulies who hated them back then are now dancing to em in "oldies rooms" E.g. Benny Troy/ l wanna give you tomorrow. I loved it the very 1st time l heard it and still do today. but the mojority hated "Newies" as they were called. Thank god l moved on with the times as regards the soul scene, because l have a wealth of knowledge about not just the music but also the artists, promoters, and all kinds of people that make up this soulful family, l know l can go to any soul venue in the country and know at least one person,Not many people can say that.

l and my B/F Paul (Harpo) are now being offered spots at various venues because we play something a bit different than the tired old records we hear venue in venue out, If you`d like to know more about what we play and the venues we are playing at, please feel free to E-mail us.

l desparately want to see more young un`s on the scene in both oldies and modern rooms, dont let age put you off, if you like the music and you have the passion for it keep coming, eventually this will encourage more young people along..

l for one hope to see at a venue we attend, please seek us out and introduce yourself and your friends to me and paul, promise we dont bite( Harpo`s got no teeth :shades: , just joking).

Just ask any1 who Harpo & Sandi are, you`ll find us l .

Take care Sandi xxxxx

Social source share

Coincidentally and perhaps ironically, the aforementioned Dirty Pretty chaps, Carl and Didz are DJing next Friday at Northern Lights night in Wigan - we are promised a night of soul, rock and indie. Unfortunately I can't attend as I'm off to the Shed to scrutinise the DJ's records . . . sorry, to enjoy myself dancing to some top tunes.

Social source share

Why do people post on thread's that dont interest them?....

If every thread that touched on a subject that had been debated before was stopped and put back to bed because it had been done before then nothing would be left to discuss on here.

Its a genre of music, part of a social life to most, there is only so much that can be said but if different people join in and discuss what they want and maybe approach a subject from a different angle then why not. Of course some stuff will be re-posted and gone over a bit too much but who says a thread can't take on a different spin at some point..

posting up that the thread's boring, tired,etc is surely a waste of the individual's time..

just a thought. :thumbsup:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

And his wide pants set on fire and stamped out by all the gang, just like some of them Muslims do to the American flag on channle four news.. :thumbup:

:thumbsup::)

Time to put this to bed... As i said before hundreds of nights to choose from, go where you want...

I have promoted nights of this type since 1988 in Manchester and its a nice change to the regular scene, its good to have something different with a fresh feel and that works in the big city...

Like every topic on here you get a different take on what is right and wrong, never gonna get all the folk on one side, no never,thats what makes the forum what it is sometimes.. Just like forums on trains/football/ comic mags etc etc.. people will have a passion for something that others think is naff, the thats the way of the world..

I don't give a foooooooooooooook if some folk don't like what i love, i just gather the people around me who feel the same way...

mOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE ON INDEED...

Cant believe this thread is still going actually :thumbup:

Like Stevie says if you dont like it dont go. No one on the Northern scene has a monopoly on how Soul music is listened to, danced to or packaged. Personally, I like the underground vibe of the scene but I think non-scene nights like the lads are running are good for spreading the wonderful message that is Soul music. Keep it goin lads and all the best with it.

Social source share

Alright Barry,

I was the lad mentioning the baggy pants and that. It was just an off the wall comment really. The point i was trying to make was that for the music to go forward and attract a younger crowd then they need to have their own club to listen to the music that is filled with people their own age.

Everytime northern soul is mentioned on tv then straight away its cue footage of fat man with baggy pants on. I was just saying that there's more to the music and the scene than that. And really I was trying to get accross the fact that there's big potential to get a cool night going with good music and nicely dressed young folk. But one of the problems in this country is that northern soul is thought of as an old persons scene and young people won't really give it a chance in its current format, ie in some working mens club with people their Dads age dancing about. I personally have no problem with these nights but it would put others off.

I agree with everything you say Paul about how the NS scene is portrayed, when it is, within the media (but it is always going to be portrayed given the nature of the scene).

And I know how a single throw away comment's like yours can be stripped and dissected on boards like this.

All I was attempting to get across was the fact that there are scenes that accomodate people who have grown up with, still buy, and love Northern - it's just a shame that they tend not to be dedicated Northern Soul events.

The fact that Northern do's are attended by an older crowd isn't a problem either - the older attendee's get, the more beautiful and true to it's roots the scene proves itself to be.

I've re-read my post and I possibly could have worded it a tad better, my apologies if I came across in a poor manner, it wasn't intended.

Social source share

am i the only person who's fed up with hearing about this "manufactured" pop artist?

I have found this thread to be quite an informative and amusing expose myself.

what's it got to do with soul music? nothing

A very valid personal view but not a fact.

the decision to use northern soul dancers on the video isn't part of a creative or artisitic process - it's just a marketing decision

Correct - in the same way that 60's & 70's US label owners named their labels maybe?

I think Berry Gordy may have been a tad good at the old marketing game too.

I think every person who has had an interest in the release of music has had to incorporate marketing to some degree.

it's about trying to a perception (or image) of "cool" to shift units - such decisions are made by middle aged marketing professionals at a brainstorming session in an office - they know or care little about art or music, that's not their job - they are presented with "product" by their employers, and it is their job to maximise sales - they don't create anything new, they latch-onto and imitate currently successful trends - in this case they were obviously trying to ride on the coat-tails of (more talented) successful artists such as amy winehouse and others whose appeal lies partially in a perception that they are part of, or their "style" is sourced from, some nostalgic "underground" music/dancing scene

I suggest you go through your record collection.

Do you think there would have been a Northern Soul scene if yesterdays producers hadn't done exactly that?

i remember when spandau ballet did a record with the brass section from light of the world when the new romantic scene was dead on it's arse - that didn't revitalise the jazz funk scene with an influx of young recruits, and the record wasn't accepted at jazz funk events....it was just a pop record marketed with references to a music scene which at the time was perceived as "cool"

I don't think they ever intended it to (be).

fair play to the people who danced on the video - well done for doing a good job, and perhaps some young people might see the video and think that it looks like fun and want to find out more about the allnighter scene....

......but it's just a manufactured pop song

...in the way every production is - it was all about the Yankee Dollar then, and about Pounds Sterling these days.

btw, i am however planning to pour petrol on FUDGE'S shoes and set them on fire when he dances in the world championship northern soul dancing competition at cleethorpes this year - i think that it's gonna give him an edge over the other competitors......that trophy is in the bag mate

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

i've only been on the northern scene for 6 or so years, im 28. and never have i had a problem being in a club with people alot older than me, mainly becuase my love for this music goes far deeper than that. i now socailise with people alot older than me and its not an issue. However there is an attitude of people who have been involved since the 70s that younger people's (under 35?) experinces are not as vaild as there own. i would of loved to discoverd this music when i was 16/17 and been in venues with thousnads of people my own age all of a similar mindset. sadly that was not the case. I think when anyone questions the motives of younger people on the scene they should consider how lucky they actualy are.

Social source share

i've only been on the northern scene for 6 or so years, im 28. and never have i had a problem being in a club with people alot older than me, mainly becuase my love for this music goes far deeper than that. i now socailise with people alot older than me and its not an issue. However there is an attitude of people who have been involved since the 70s that younger people's (under 35?) experinces are not as vaild as there own. i would of loved to discoverd this music when i was 16/17 and been in venues with thousnads of people my own age all of a similar mindset. sadly that was not the case. I think when anyone questions the motives of younger people on the scene they should consider how lucky they actualy are.

Well said Ollie, you can't buy experience, no, but you've gotta love a lad with common sense and passion.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert