Duffy's Dancers

Barry

hi jayne

i found your post really interesting because, after me spending over 20 years thinking that modern rooms would always be secondary and on the outskirts of northern-soul events, this year at prestatyn i really got a sense that it had become part of the "northern mainstream" and i don't think you can say it's separate anymore (maybe largely because the music in the main room was so predictable for a lot of the time - definitely need more young-blood in there imo)

....but i wouldn't want my own kids going to a niter :thumbsup:

lol....no, nor mine.. :lol: ... nice post, not sure I agree with the first part though... I (of course) am seeing it totally different. I think the gap between the two has gone wider and now I'm seeing it as more seperate than ever. Most of the modern rooms in the NW that were attached to northern venue's have pretty much died away. Modern rooms that are attached to northern rooms seem to be on the way out.. (except Blackburn which is a totally different thing anyway).. Maybe it's a bit different at the weekenders, I too saw more 'northern' fans in the modern room but never notice it at monthly nights...

Anyway, apologies I can see I've gone way off the thread there....

Jayne.x.

Social source share

• Replies 114
  • Views 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Did anyone who has jumped to this guy's defence actually read what he said and wrote. It was ageist stereotyping twaddle, and I am amazed that he's been given such an easy ride. Next time all those who've agreed with him are out and they see some big guy in baggies why not have a word in his ear that he's too old and fat and by his very presence putting young people off attending regular venues.

Of course as Little Stevie said it's bollocks. Age does not come into it, and Im pretty proud to say that on this scene neither does race,class or creed.

I have no idea how committed to the music Paul is but as I know Mark well I will accept his view on Liam and conclude that Paul is much the same but his words were very ill-chosen.

As for younger dj's being booked to attract a younger crowd I don't think it really works like that. If we put aside the "you do mine and I'll do yours" crowd then it's down to earned reputation and playlist. As has been said the music is the most important factor not the demographic.

If you've got the records you can get a spot. Sean Livesey is only young but he is a regular at Bury and he is no different to any of the other regular dj's on there. If he has been passed over elsewhere as Jayne maintains then I doubt it's anything to do with his age and more to do with the preference of the promoter.

Paul admits he himself has no problem with attending regular venues and Im sure that he has made friends there as this scene is welcoming, and many a night you can make ten new extremely talkative best friends who are extremely difficult to get rid of when you've had enough.

If he is OK with it all then why this spurious explanation for the lack of other young people in the clubs. It may be that unlike Paul they're not into it but they may go to a disco in the student buildings.

Finally I have no view either way about younger people attending. If they're interested why shouldn't they? As for "etiquette" there isn't any is there. I think the "drink on the dancefloor" is more to do with whom the drink is attached to and that's usually some pissed up local who could be young or old.

ROD

Rod, you have left me speechless. I just can't see where this outlandish attack has come from. Its the sort of reaction I'd expect from someone if I shit on their front step and then pleasantly knocked on the door to inform them of what I'd done.

I'm sort of getting the impression that you have taken a real dislike to me!!??

The fat guy in baggies comment was tounge in cheek. I have no problem with fat people or baggy pants. Some of my best friends are fat. Really fat. I would hate to think that I'm being tagged as fattist.

I can almost picture you waving your pitch fork in the air fueled with rage at the thought of a youngster having the cheek to simply state facts about the northern soul scene. I'd put my life on the fact that most young soul fans would much rather attend a night in a city centre venue with other young people than in a typical northern venue with a northern crowd.

What is it exactly that you have a problem with. If its the comment about fat people and baggy pants then I apologise for my comments. I didn't realise you were such a sensitive soul.

Social source share

Rod, you have left me speechless. I just can't see where this outlandish attack has come from. Its the sort of reaction I'd expect from someone if I shit on their front step and then pleasantly knocked on the door to inform them of what I'd done.

I'm sort of getting the impression that you have taken a real dislike to me!!??

The fat guy in baggies comment was tounge in cheek. I have no problem with fat people or baggy pants. Some of my best friends are fat. Really fat. I would hate to think that I'm being tagged as fattist.

I can almost picture you waving your pitch fork in the air fueled with rage at the thought of a youngster having the cheek to simply state facts about the northern soul scene. I'd put my life on the fact that most young soul fans would much rather attend a night in a city centre venue with other young people than in a typical northern venue with a northern crowd.

What is it exactly that you have a problem with. If its the comment about fat people and baggy pants then I apologise for my comments. I didn't realise you were such a sensitive soul.

Firstly Paul I'm fat and old but I don't wear baggies they just look silly on me and they don't fit anymore anyway....lol on a serious note Rod is a very good friend of mine and although I'm not going to defend him here as he's very capable of doing that himself, however Rod does not have a bad bone in his body he simply has a deep rooted passion for the music and as with many of us he defends that, you talk of new blood on the scene but you seem to want to do your own thing in terms of the City Centre venue comment full of young people, is this not as bad as all old school in one venue and perhaps simply creating a sub scene? should it not be as one young and old together? or do you like the idea of being a moover and shaker on this sub scene? not having a go at you just curious to know why we can't all work together on this, are you going to restrict your audience to being entertained by shall we say some of the more mature DJ's? if this is the case then musically you are going to be restricted in time if you don't embrace the contribution of some of the older set, it's fantastic that you are trying to introduce Rare Soul music to a new younger audience but you have to consider the roots of the scene, it's ethics and ideals otherwise you are just going to create your own retro version of it.

If your audience love the music then does it matter how old the DJ's are playing it to them? young or old we all have the common connection here of loving the music, age, size lol etc. should not come into it, personally I would rather we kept all our eggs in one basket, perhaps the older members of the scene need to embrace and welcome the younger crowd with open arms otherwise if we shut the door on this then it's only a matter of time when the 50 and 60 year old's will no longer have the passion or desire to attend venues and then it will simply end.

Good luck with everything you do, keep it real and go for it, we need your commitment and contribution.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Paul I'm just hoping you don't mean me when you're talking about your really fat friends.... :thumbsup:

Anyway, just to add my twopennys worth....I think that Paul's comments have been taken out of context and some people are confusing what it is Paul and co are trying to do with their night. This is a City Centre (mainly) student night - it has more similarities with somewhere like Funkademia or Move on Up than Lifeline. I started off on the Northern Soul scene with similar events back in the 80s at places like the Berlin club and Cloud 9 in Manchester. It's not about talking about catalogue numbers and shifting through boxes of records...it's about going out, having a few beers and having a dance to good music with like minded young people. I'm sure that Paul will concur that their night isn't supposed to be part of the "scene" even though they as the organisers are. And if some of the young people decide they want to go to other places I'm sure they will point them in the right direction like friends of mine did when I started out in the 80s.

I for one should know more than most about Paul's opinions and ambitions as I've spent a lot of time with him and Matty (another one of the lads who run the night) over the years going to various rum places (where I wouldn't dream of letting my own kids go) and they have always behaved impeccably, treated older people with respect and always looked after me.

Reggie

Edited by reg
Social source share

Paul I'm just hoping you don't mean me when you're talking about your really fat friends.... :thumbsup:

Anyway, just to add my twopennys worth....I think that Paul's comments have been taken out of context and some people are confusing what it is Paul and co are trying to do with their night. This is a City Centre (mainly) student night - it has more similarities with somewhere like Funkademia or Move on Up than Lifeline. I started off on the Northern Soul scene with similar events back in the 80s at places like the Berlin club and Cloud 9 in Manchester. It's not about talking about catalogue numbers and shifting through boxes of records...it's about going out, having a few beers and having a dance to good music with like minded young people. I'm sure that Paul will concur that their night isn't supposed to be part of the "scene" even though they as the organisers are. And if some of the young people decide they want to go to other places I'm sure they will point them in the right direction like friends of mine did when I started out in the 80s.

I for one should know more than most about Paul's opinions and ambitions as I've spent a lot of time with him and Matty (another one of the lads who run the night) over the years and various rum places where I wouldn't dream of letting my own kids go and they have always behaved impeccably, treated older people with respect and always looked after me.

Reggie

Fair play Reg old girl...lol totally understand the type of event the lad's are involved with a little like 'Brighton Beach' night's in London, Leeds, Leicester etc. a huge event, Student's, Mod's, Soul folk all under one roof playing allsorts of music.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I for one should know more than most about Paul's opinions and ambitions as I've spent a lot of time with him and Matty (another one of the lads who run the night) over the years going to various rum places (where I wouldn't dream of letting my own kids go) and they have always behaved impeccably, treated older people with respect and always looked after me.

Reggie

Totally agree Reg. Their night is, from what ive seen, a student night, with b'boys, mods, students etc attrending. Nothing to do with the scene, except that it plays a few Northern soul tunes in amongst the rest. An eclectic night of soul and funk!

Other venues have tried and done it over the years in Manchester. These nights are usually quite ephemeral, in that they rely on the fad-like revival of 60s music (which occurs about every 5 to 10 years in some form or other!), this revival is fuelled by the manufactured sound of 'Duffy'. If you have read any biogs on her, she did not find the sound on her own, her manager thought it would suit her. So, good luck to them...make a few bob out of it while you can. Unfortunately these nights usually drift away when the fickle student crowd move on to the next trend. :lol:

Social source share

Totally agree Reg. Their night is, from what ive seen, a student night, with b'boys, mods, students etc attrending. Nothing to do with the scene, except that it plays a few Northern soul tunes in amongst the rest. An eclectic night of soul and funk!

Other venues have tried and done it over the years in Manchester. These nights are usually quite ephemeral, in that they rely on the fad-like revival of 60s music (which occurs about every 5 to 10 years in some form or other!), this revival is fuelled by the manufactured sound of 'Duffy'. If you have read any biogs on her, she did not find the sound on her own, her manager thought it would suit her. So, good luck to them...make a few bob out of it while you can. Unfortunately these nights usually drift away when the fickle student crowd move on to the next trend. :thumbsup:

I think they started the night before the Duffy phenomenon but I can see that she may have helped a few more through the door :lol:

Social source share

Interesting thread. When I first attended all-nighters at the age of 15, most of the older guys were probably no older than 25, at the very most. Had we been surrounded by people our parents' age, we simply wouldn't have gone, would we?

The vast majority of people attending UK venues are approaching 50, some approaching retirement age or over, in some cases. I visited the 100 Club two years ago with two Spanish friends who are my youngest nephew's age 26.

The first question they asked was 'why are all these people sitting down?' What are the tables for?'

Record dealers, I replied somewhat unconvincingly. Two thirds of the crowd were sitting down, unthinkable at a Sp nish gig. Over here, I'm in a clear minority & I feel my bloody age, surrounded by folk aged 25-35.

I would hardly consider 30 something to be middle aged either, unless life expectancy in Brown's Britain has taken a tumble.

I understand these guys' concerns a 100% & say go ahead on, create those venues & take it to river.

Social source share

But then on some of the marketing it advertises..."The Guys From The Duffy Video"?

He he....it does you're right but it didn't originally when they started the night. Why not get a bit of publicity and a few more bums on seats-I imagine they have to build the night up to keep it going at a venue like MMU where they could always just get Clint Boon in playing Madchester Indie and fill it up quite easily :thumbsup:

Social source share

You mean feets on floors Reg :-)

Tables & chairs should be banned. No rest for the wicked etc;

M

or bodies at the bar possibly..... :thumbsup::lol:

I agree, too many tables and chairs and it's the local British Legion :lol: or a hotel bar in Benalmadena :lol:

Edited by reg
Social source share

Guest Bernadette

or bodies at the bar possibly..... :thumbsup::ohmy:

I agree, too many tables and chairs and it's the local British Legion :D or a hotel bar in Benalmadena :P

couldn't agree more...totally amuses me all the people sitting around at various dos...half expect the dominos to come out :huh: and i'm no spring chick at 45 and been on this wonderful scene of ours since the 70s...some of us older ones still have a spring in our step and shouldn't be written off :D

Edited by Bernadette
Social source share

couldn't agree more...totally amuses me all the people sitting around at various dos...half expect the dominos to come out :D and i'm no spring chick at 45 and been on this wonderful scene of ours since the 70s...some of us older ones still have a spring in our step and shouldn't be written off :P

Beats me how they can just sit around :huh: you can,t keep me off the dancefloor :thumbsup: and i too am no spring chick at 44........but i certainly got a spring in me step and no way should we be written off!! :D ....... i can keep up with the best of em!! No probs!! :ohmy:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

Beats me how they can just sit around :P you can,t keep me off the dancefloor :thumbsup: and i too am no spring chick at 44........but i certainly got a spring in me step and no way should we be written off!! :lol: ....... i can keep up with the best of em!! No probs!! :boxing:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Right, I will try to explain once more what we are doing. We are trying to get a night going that plays a mixture of soul music for a varied crowd. Other nights have done this before such as Brighton Beach, move on up, funkademia, etc but we are doing it a bit different in the sense that we aren't playing crowd pleasers such as obvious motown and obvious northern. We aren't playing tracks that most people wont be familiar with. We are trying to get people into rare soul music. We want to do this with a younger crowd. We have nothing against the soul crowd but we feel that we need to do this seperate to the soul scene.

We AREN'T getting a room full of students or people after a cheap beer. If you ask anybody thats been they will tell you that most of the people there were into the music on some level. Maybe they are new to the mod scene or have heard a few tracks off the tv and thought 'this isn't bad' so they've turned up. But most were genuine soul fans that were young and really embraced the fact that this night was going. We've had 'proper' young soul fans from newcastle, leeds, sheffield, liverpool all travelling for our night. And a lot of them collect records and want to play at our night. And we will get every one of them on!!!

There are loads of nights like ours over Europe where the average age is 20-30. So why can't we do the same over here, especially in a city thats got such strong musical foundations. Why does everyone think that this can't be done and its going to be filled with a fickle crowd only here till the next thing comes along. Thats total bollocks. There's loads of young people into this music but where can they go to hear it???? Nowhere bloody plays it.

We don't want a room full of people in their 40's and 50's. Now I'm sorry if that upsets some of you but its the truth. That scene already exists and is done a lot better than we could ever do. We don't want the politics. We don't want the face pulling when a certain record is played. We are trying to give our night a fresh approach and do something new!!!!!!

You won't see any big name dj's at our night. Whats the point?? They play at every night going. What you will see is us giving people a chance and letting them play despite the fact that they don't have loads of expensive records. There's nothing better than seeing someone put a really nice set together from a very modest box. But you can see how much those tunes mean to them. There's no skill in having 1000's of records to choose from and playing 30 from the top 500!!!

I love the northern soul scene. The music has made me the person I am. But we feel that something has to be done to keep the music alive. Young people will not join the northern soul scene. That is a fact. Its an already established scene that is suited to an older crowd. No matter how much you moan about my comments its the truth.

I could go on forever trying to explain myself but I just cant be arsed. And if you don't like it then fine. It really doesn't bother me. The people on here aren't important to our night. The impotant thing is that there's thre of us promoting it and we really care about the music. So much so that we slog our guts out to get other young people into it so that the music lives on.

The one thing that really pisses me off and insults me also is the view that its a fad. If its such a fad then why are you lot still listening to the music 30 years later.

Edited by PaulB
Social source share

Half the people on here think they own this music. Well you don't. And guess what? Three young lads feel that their time has come and they're going to put thier spin on 'northern soul' and see what happens.

If anyone doesn't like that then you can shove whatever negative comments you have up your arse cos we don't care and WE DON'T NEED YOU!!!!!!!!

Signing out..........

Social source share

Well done and well said Paul!!

Trouble with some people (a LOT of people) on the scene and on THIS forum is they have their OLD BALD heads shoved permanently up their

FAT OLD arses!! and think the music just belongs to them and their age group :lol::thumbsup: .....lets face it THEY know everything there is to know :boxing: and dont feel the need to share it with cheeky young whippersnappers who should be listening to Blink 185 or whatever theyre called :wicked:

Its fantastic to see younger people on the scene seriously getting into the music and we should be proud the scene will never die out. :P

beer.gif

:sleep3:

:shades: ........ it's Blink 182 .... my son plays them .. YUK !

Social source share

Right, I will try to explain once more what we are doing. We are trying to get a night going that plays a mixture of soul music for a varied crowd. Other nights have done this before such as Brighton Beach, move on up, funkademia, etc but we are doing it a bit different in the sense that we aren't playing crowd pleasers such as obvious motown and obvious northern. We aren't playing tracks that most people wont be familiar with. We are trying to get people into rare soul music. We want to do this with a younger crowd. We have nothing against the soul crowd but we feel that we need to do this seperate to the soul scene.

We AREN'T getting a room full of students or people after a cheap beer. If you ask anybody thats been they will tell you that most of the people there were into the music on some level. Maybe they are new to the mod scene or have heard a few tracks off the tv and thought 'this isn't bad' so they've turned up. But most were genuine soul fans that were young and really embraced the fact that this night was going. We've had 'proper' young soul fans from newcastle, leeds, sheffield, liverpool all travelling for our night. And a lot of them collect records and want to play at our night. And we will get every one of them on!!!

There are loads of nights like ours over Europe where the average age is 20-30. So why can't we do the same over here, especially in a city thats got such strong musical foundations. Why does everyone think that this can't be done and its going to be filled with a fickle crowd only here till the next thing comes along. Thats total bollocks. There's loads of young people into this music but where can they go to hear it???? Nowhere bloody plays it.

We don't want a room full of people in their 40's and 50's. Now I'm sorry if that upsets some of you but its the truth. That scene already exists and is done a lot better than we could ever do. We don't want the politics. We don't want the face pulling when a certain record is played. We are trying to give our night a fresh approach and do something new!!!!!!

You won't see any big name dj's at our night. Whats the point?? They play at every night going. What you will see is us giving people a chance and letting them play despite the fact that they don't have loads of expensive records. There's nothing better than seeing someone put a really nice set together from a very modest box. But you can see how much those tunes mean to them. There's no skill in having 1000's of records to choose from and playing 30 from the top 500!!!

I love the northern soul scene. The music has made me the person I am. But we feel that something has to be done to keep the music alive. Young people will not join the northern soul scene. That is a fact. Its an already established scene that is suited to an older crowd. No matter how much you moan about my comments its the truth.

I could go on forever trying to explain myself but I just cant be arsed. And if you don't like it then fine. It really doesn't bother me. The people on here aren't important to our night. The impotant thing is that there's thre of us promoting it and we really care about the music. So much so that we slog our guts out to get other young people into it so that the music lives on.

The one thing that really pisses me off and insults me also is the view that its a fad. If its such a fad then why are you lot still listening to the music 30 years later.

Hmm!! :wicked: I can,t understand why you replied to my post, i,m not having a go at anyone no.gif i think you,ve misinterpreted what i,m saying :P good luck with what your doing :thumbsup: i think its great!! :boxing: Oh and by the way my Son (25) & Daughter (22) come out with with me & my hubby on a regular basis.......infact my Daughter Gemma danced in the Blackpool comp with Liam :lol:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

hope you pull it off .... good luck :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Take ourselves back 35 - 40 years ago and isn't this where we were?

People with 'modest' boxes learning the ropes of Djing; other people who had heard a few of the tunes and wanted to know more (some of whom are now main movers and shakers in the scene) and came to the youth club/village hall/working men's club soul nights to find out more; started to get interested in the records, in the labels, in the artists, in the rarity etc. They started to learn to dance NS-style, the backdrops, spins and splits (guess 'baggy' certainly helped in the trousers department for these!!).

If we had stumbled into a soul scene in the late 60s and early 70s which our parents and grandparents frequented and dominated we would have been out of there in a flash (definitely would not have been 'cool' then!!) and the NS scene would never have evolved.

To me what Paul and his friends are doing mirrors much of what we did but with a 21st century spin on it. If this continues to flourish and takes the music on towards 2050 (about the length of time that we've been going) then we should be supporting and encouraging him. It may not look precisely the same then as it does now - actually it doesn't much look now what it looked like in 1970 - but as none of us are likely to be around then, it doesn't really matter.

So unless we have someone to take this music on, when they screw the lid down on the last of us, will we go contented that the music had died with us - so f*ck it.

Keep it going Paul.

Brian :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Half the people on here think they own this music. Well you don't. And guess what? Three young lads feel that their time has come and they're going to put thier spin on 'northern soul' and see what happens.

If anyone doesn't like that then you can shove whatever negative comments you have up your arse cos we don't care and WE DON'T NEED YOU!!!!!!!!

Signing out..........

Paul, take a deep breath mate & go back & read through this thread again. In reality you can count the moaning minnies on the two fingers you have just stuck up at the rest of us on here ! :lol:

Majority are behind you so keep up the good work :lol:

Take ourselves back 35 - 40 years ago and isn't this where we were?

People with 'modest' boxes learning the ropes of Djing; other people who had heard a few of the tunes and wanted to know more (some of whom are now main movers and shakers in the scene) and came to the youth club/village hall/working men's club soul nights to find out more; started to get interested in the records, in the labels, in the artists, in the rarity etc. They started to learn to dance NS-style, the backdrops, spins and splits (guess 'baggy' certainly helped in the trousers department for these!!).

If we had stumbled into a soul scene in the late 60s and early 70s which our parents and grandparents frequented and dominated we would have been out of there in a flash (definitely would not have been 'cool' then!!) and the NS scene would never have evolved.

To me what Paul and his friends are doing mirrors much of what we did but with a 21st century spin on it. If this continues to flourish and takes the music on towards 2050 (about the length of time that we've been going) then we should be supporting and encouraging him. It may not look precisely the same then as it does now - actually it doesn't much look now what it looked like in 1970 - but as none of us are likely to be around then, it doesn't really matter.

So unless we have someone to take this music on, when they screw the lid down on the last of us, will we go contented that the music had died with us - so f*ck it.

Keep it going Paul.

Brian :D

Great post Brian :lol: & Little Stevie's earlier :lol:

I know we hate to admit it, but we are older now & you can't blame the younger element from wanting a venue aimed at their age group. Just as Brian said above, we would have run a mile if places had been full of people our parents age whether we liked the music or not !

Duffy track ? Tips it's hat better than most recent attempts at the 60's Nsoul sound, & better than others that have received less criticism IMO .

Social source share

blood on the scene but you seem to want to do your own thing in terms of the City Centre venue comment full of young people, is this not as bad as all old school in one venue and perhaps simply creating a sub scene? should it not be as one young and old together? or do you like the idea of being a moover and shaker on this sub scene? not having a go at you just curious to know why we can't all work together on this, are you going to restrict your audience to being entertained by shall we say some of the more mature DJ's? if this is the case then musically you are going to be restricted in time if you don't embrace the contribution of some of the older set, it's fantastic that you are trying to introduce Rare Soul music to a new younger audience but you have to consider the roots of the scene, it's ethics and ideals otherwise you are just going to create your own retro version of it.

If your audience love the music then does it matter how old the DJ's are playing it to them? young or old we all have the common connection here of loving the music, age, size lol etc. should not come into it, personally I would rather we kept all our eggs in one basket, perhaps the older members of the scene need to embrace and welcome the younger crowd with open arms otherwise if we shut the door on this then it's only a matter of time when the 50 and 60 year old's will no longer have the passion or desire to attend venues and then it will simply end.

Good luck with everything you do, keep it real and go for it, we need your commitment and contribution.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Helloooo

very good post Mark.

Now I'm not saying that I agree with this or that it's the way it should be but I do believe that it's the way it is... Whilst trying to give the opportunity to younger people to embrace the music, I dont believe it can be done old and young together. Until the audience love the music, I believe it does matter how old the DJ's are that are playing it. Not just the age but the image associated with them. I wonder if young mods would have found what is now 'northern' if the DJ's were dressed as rockers?.. anyway, I digress..

If this is what it takes to give a proper opportunity for young and new people to experience a night out with northern soul then maybe they've got the right idea?... Maybe the music and the scene is a bit like a drug - once their hooked on the music and want to hear it out weekly - when Beat Boutique isn't running they may look for it elsewhere and progress to other nights on the established scene and slowly integrate with soulies of all ages.. once the bug of the music takes hold that is...

Initially I totally agreed with your thoughts about reaching a stage where musically it could be restictive but then I thought again....and wonder if these DJ's are as hungry for the tunes as older Dj's, would they be able to keep ahead of the game?... (thoughts of Richard at wigan spring to mind...)

sorry I highlighted some of your post to remind me what I was looking at.

Jayne.x. :lol:

p.s. - you're not old.. chatting with you is no different to chatting with a lad of 20..except you're more interesting and you know more about records. LOL.. :D

Social source share

He he....it does you're right but it didn't originally when they started the night. Why not get a bit of publicity and a few more bums on seats-I imagine they have to build the night up to keep it going at a venue like MMU where they could always just get Clint Boon in playing Madchester Indie and fill it up quite easily :D

yeuk imagine!... :lol: .

Didn't the lads get MMU because the fools gold nights died on their arse?... a million times better imo..

Jayne.x.

Social source share

I'd like to know what the the continental lot think about this. They seem to welcome the old duffer brigade & they still hire the odd 'mature' British deejay for their well established events. The Euroyeye Gij³n, Soul For Real Bilbao, S.O.U.L Weekender Gij³n, Magic Soul Weekender Madrid & SS member Albert Petit's Valencia All-Nighters in Spain all spring to mind.

Edited by macca
Social source share

Paul why are you so bothered about negative comments? People on here will always say bad things about anything that is slightly different to the norm. I remember a smiliar debate going on when Steve first started Soul or Nothing at Lloyd Street and that night is still going on now even without a regular venue! It's brilliant that there's a regular night in Manchester again and that you're helping young folk get interested in this fantastic music.

Like somebody else said there's only been a couple of negative comments and we all love the Duffy video thing really cos we can show off to our friends at work and say we know you :lol:

The only thing I'm worried about is that I'm too old to come.... ph34r.gif

Edited by reg
Social source share

Guest Roddy

I hate to add my tuppence worth... but i feel a rant coming on,

re Duffy;If it gets some kids into northern via the video then great if it dosent then its a big so what !

re; The video I am sure i saw Keb and trickster in it hardly new blood on the scene and i aint heard anyone slagging them off.

re;Mod revivals I was part of the last one and still remember hostillity from the old soul crowd at wigan when my chosen form of dress changed overnight.

re;Drinks on the dance floor what else are kids ment to do for the last ten years there has been a constant campaign in clubs and pubs not to leave your drinks unattended due to the sad incidence of spiking. I personally hate drinks on the dance floor but I usually find that a quiet word about the ettiquite sorts that out.

re;Youth the more kids on the scene the better its our job to welcome befriend and cherish as we were by our elders. I personally have been priviledges to travel a lot over the last couple of years and have found the excitment and passion of the younsters coming through refreshing and invigorating for an older (46) mod. highlights have been Hamburg,Paris,Crossfire,Brighton mod weekender and the RnB room in Middleton.

re; Club nights cattering to a different crowd back in the early eighties I with a few others ran successful mod/soul nights in Edinburgh mixing origanal sixties beat/revival/ska/sixties soul and Northern, the plan was to ween the crowd off the other stuff and get them into soul. I remember getting slagged off by some of the older soul crowd both for the way we dressed and the fact that we didnt play only Northern. i am pleased to say a lot of the kids who went to those nights we ran are still into northern and regularly attend nights/nighters.

The only constant in life is change lets embrace it and stop this endless bickering Soul is a broad church and the stronger for it !

These debates are nothing new you just have to look at some of the old Fanzines like Northern Noise 1979 to see that.

Everyone should enjoy themselves because life is too short and its later than you think.

Phew glad i got all that off my chest.

Social source share

Guest Bernadette

Hmm!! :D I can,t understand why you replied to my post, i,m not having a go at anyone :D i think you,ve misinterpreted what i,m saying :D good luck with what your doing thumbsup.gif i think its great!! :P Oh and by the way my Son (25) & Daughter (22) come out with with me & my hubby on a regular basis.......infact my Daughter Gemma danced in the Blackpool comp with Liam :D

JB xxxKTFxxx

I think you were responding to my comments Jellybean and if anything we were laughing at the old farts at traditional dos who sit around :D not at all slagging off what the boys are trying to do...good luck with it...hope it goes well :lol:

Social source share

I think you were responding to my comments Jellybean and if anything we were laughing at the old farts at traditional dos who sit around :lol: not at all slagging off what the boys are trying to do...good luck with it...hope it goes well :yes:

Yes Bernadette i was responding to you actually..... :huh::ohmy::yes:

Social source share

Hello soulies its Gemma here forgot my username so im using my moms. Anyway I thought i'd better have a say on this matter. I understand exactly what you guys are trying to achieve here, in one way I think it's fantastic what you are doing. It does scare me though to think that the people of my generation are moving onto the scene, however It is the only way to keep the flame burning for us young soulies.. First of all I attend Northern Soul venues for the pure love of it, blessed I am to be apart of the scene. The older generation on the scene have certainley made me feel 100% apart of it from the start. I have met many of my soul brothers and sisters from all over the country and I find that its the older soulies that have made me so passionate about the music I love. It is very important to keep everybody together as one on the soulscene and in my eyes, dividing us could be a threat. Wether your young, old, fat, black, white, short, gay etc it dosent matter. Thats what makes the scene so special, everybody has their own individual reasons as to why they attend soul venues.

I cannot remember the last time I went to a club or bar with friends of my own age, sadly many of our generation are brainwashed and driven towards the stereotypical social life of a young person 2day. Becoming a souly dosent happen over night, I think its important that if the younger generation are introduced to the scene they should be taught about the history of the scene, Where it began, Why. Working class kids from poor families embraced Northern mainly, a desire to escape the depression of reality at that time. Also knowing that alot of these artists that gave us the music never got recognised for it, this makes me even more passionate about the scene. Growing up we didnt have as much as others, yet I have more in my life than a lot of the kids back in the day ever did. I appreciate everything I have in my life, and I do think that you need to have a background that relates to the history of Northern in some way to fully appreciate it. I feel the music, the tunes I love most I relate to, the only time I feel my best is on that floor. I love the atmosphere that is created at a Northern venue, you can almost feel the love. The music is so meaningful and getting the biggest adrenalin rush ever beats any other feeling. And in 3 years I havnt seen a single fight or glass thrown, what other scene gives you that ay? I am still learning names of artists, tracks, history, dance moves etc and ive been on the scene for 3 years. Its not that long I know but I feel that its gonna take more than the music to really involve the younger generations. NEVER EVER FORGET THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE MAINTAINED THIS SCENE. THIS IS THE OLDER GENERATION AND I PERSONALLY WANT TO THANK ANYONE WITH ANY INVOLVEMENT WHATSOEVER IN PRESERVING THE SCENE. YOU HAVE KEPT THE MUSIC ALIVE AND I AM SOOOOOO THANKFUL THAT I AM APART OF IT. Keep on keeping on, remember we are one big soul family!

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

Hello soulies its Gemma here forgot my username so im using my moms. Anyway I thought i'd better have a say on this matter. I understand exactly what you guys are trying to achieve here, in one way I think it's fantastic what you are doing. It does scare me though to think that the people of my generation are moving onto the scene, however It is the only way to keep the flame burning for us young soulies.. First of all I attend Northern Soul venues for the pure love of it, blessed I am to be apart of the scene. The older generation on the scene have certainley made me feel 100% apart of it from the start. I have met many of my soul brothers and sisters from all over the country and I find that its the older soulies that have made me so passionate about the music I love. It is very important to keep everybody together as one on the soulscene and in my eyes, dividing us could be a threat. Wether your young, old, fat, black, white, short, gay etc it dosent matter. Thats what makes the scene so special, everybody has their own individual reasons as to why they attend soul venues.

I cannot remember the last time I went to a club or bar with friends of my own age, sadly many of our generation are brainwashed and driven towards the stereotypical social life of a young person 2day. Becoming a souly dosent happen over night, I think its important that if the younger generation are introduced to the scene they should be taught about the history of the scene, Where it began, Why. Working class kids from poor families embraced Northern mainly, a desire to escape the depression of reality at that time. Also knowing that alot of these artists that gave us the music never got recognised for it, this makes me even more passionate about the scene. Growing up we didnt have as much as others, yet I have more in my life than a lot of the kids back in the day ever did. I appreciate everything I have in my life, and I do think that you need to have a background that relates to the history of Northern in some way to fully appreciate it. I feel the music, the tunes I love most I relate to, the only time I feel my best is on that floor. I love the atmosphere that is created at a Northern venue, you can almost feel the love. The music is so meaningful and getting the biggest adrenalin rush ever beats any other feeling. And in 3 years I havnt seen a single fight or glass thrown, what other scene gives you that ay? I am still learning names of artists, tracks, history, dance moves etc and ive been on the scene for 3 years. Its not that long I know but I feel that its gonna take more than the music to really involve the younger generations. NEVER EVER FORGET THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE MAINTAINED THIS SCENE. THIS IS THE OLDER GENERATION AND I PERSONALLY WANT TO THANK ANYONE WITH ANY INVOLVEMENT WHATSOEVER IN PRESERVING THE SCENE. YOU HAVE KEPT THE MUSIC ALIVE AND I AM SOOOOOO THANKFUL THAT I AM APART OF IT. Keep on keeping on, remember we are one big soul family!

Thats my girl :)

Social source share

A few months back I invited Liam over to my house for a bite to eat and a couple of hours playing tunes, there was no age barrier, no agenda just two blokes upstairs playing a few tunes, talking tunes and sharing yes sharing a passion for rare soul, I could see it in Liams eye's when I played the records that he has a genuine deep rooted love of the music and desire to learn, share and embrace the music, what he was wearing and how old he is really had nothing to do with the fact that he is without question a soul fan, he also came with a box of records and we shared the deck, he reminded me of a record I missed a few years go by 'The Magnificent Seven' on Dial resulting me contacting JM the next day to secure a copy and I thank Liam for that, it's all about repeating myself sorry passion for the music and everything good about the scene, recently I've lost my way a little with DJ'ing etc, due to lack of interest, other commitments and some of the bullshit that goes along with this scene, what never goes away is the desire to collect, play and adore the music that has played such an important part of my life for some 32 years.

Liam and some of the younger crowd on the scene are the future in terms of keeping it going at club level for the future and should be allowed to do their own thing if they wish, age should not be an issue but it seems it is for some.

The only best interest we should have here is the scene's nothing more, as it's already been stated on this thread the music is king and not the ego's of a select few older people who think they own it, you be maverick's Liam and Co. I say the scene needs a good kick up the backside sometimes and shame on those people for having a pop at the young guns on the scene, age has bugger all to do with it, a half decent box of records does however and the desire to contribute rather than shout loudly and say or contribute nothing which is often the case on this scene.

As for Duffy and her record, video etc. I personally have no real comment on this apart from she sounds like Brenda Lee rather than Bettye Lavette or Etta James and has made a half decent retro pop record which I have not had the desire to buy or play as it has nothing to do with what I'm about musically but that simply is about choice rather than the fact it's nothing more than pop music, pop as in popular, number one, sold bucket loads? that kind of thing, makes no difference what I think about it's musical appeal or authenticity of being a soul record because it's not plain and simple.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

well said mark

just because some young un's ave decided to give this scene a kick up the arse and makeus sit up and take notice they get slagged off they aint the first to do it and wont be the last , this scene needs young blood wheather the more mature contingent of the scene likes it or not you go for it guy's this scene needs you and many more like you :)thumbup.gif

Social source share

what a lovely post, hope to say Hi somewhere Gemma.. :)

It's a shame that more young people haven't been brought up with Northern Soul around them and possibly grown up with access to the music and knowledge about the scene and then got to appreciate it. The scene would be a much bigger and healthier scene. Sadly, I dont think all young people are as open minded as Gemma in accepting all the various components that make up today's scene..

Jayne.x. (Yes I know I can't leave this alone.... can you tell I'm putting off the hoovering).

Social source share

Guest nubes

what a lovely post, hope to say Hi somewhere Gemma.. :)

It's a shame that more young people haven't been brought up with Northern Soul around them and possibly grown up with access to the music and knowledge about the scene and then got to appreciate it. The scene would be a much bigger and healthier scene. Sadly, I dont think all young people are as open minded as Gemma in accepting all the various components that make up today's scene..

Jayne.x. (Yes I know I can't leave this alone.... can you tell I'm putting off the hoovering).

Gemma is a lovely young lady...who is an absolute credit to Helen and Martin....she was a very delightful roomie...when we went to the Blackpool weekender last Autumn....she is very confident ...knows her own mind..and loves soul with pure passion......Delxxxx

Social source share

Nice posting, saw u at blackpool, and stoke last week, u dance with so much energy, and passion, in other words ur just to dam soulful in a nice way.

Billy

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

SAW THE CLIP ....YEP LOVED THEIR ENTHUSIASM.....not all venues are full of baggie trouser types,wouldn't go to one if ya paid me the dress code seems to go with a certain mind set (musically) and it don't do for me. Will pull you up on one point though,whilst we all have a laugh at baggie pants ect! ect!.you guys are dressed in the modernist style of the sixties,when I might add most of you wern't born and the fellas who are older 40's/50's who are dressed in this style,it might be said of them that they look equally daft. Dress how you like lads,go where you want.....just do one thing ave a great time ....after all said and done IT'S JUST A NIGHT OUT all the bestest

tezzle

Social source share

Also knowing that alot of these artists that gave us the music never got recognised for it, this makes me even more passionate about the scene. I feel the music, the tunes I love most I relate to, the only time I feel my best is on that floor. I love the atmosphere that is created at a Northern venue, you can almost feel the love. The music is so meaningful and getting the biggest adrenalin rush ever beats any other feeling. And in 3 years I havnt seen a single fight or glass thrown, what other scene gives you that ay?

Gemma,

Great reply.

Paul B is my son, and I back him 100% on his stance. He can be single minded and bloody stubborn, (you want to see us having a friendly family chat about the forthcoming wedding!!!) but I believe him and the others, and people like you, may just keep our scene alive, and even freshen it up a bit for the rest of us. I sincerely believe it needs this.

I have edited your post above, because we all need to read this bit again.

This is exactly why, and how, we got into Northern, and why we still are.

Nothing else. Just what you have written.

The reason Paul has got so frustrated on here is that he forecast quite correctly, the comments he would receive from some.

For me, the encouraging part is how much genuine support he has received.

Thanks,

Brian B

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Working class kids from poor families embraced Northern mainly, a desire to escape the depression of reality at that time..JELLY BEAN Quote; POST *86 (look above for the post)

Manalive, this has to be the worst thread i have ever read on soul source, Paul B, do whatever you want kid, i am working class, and i still am, i've been in the building trade for nearly 30 years, i never got into the rare soul scene because i felt depressed by my situation, my family were brilliant, and i'm proud of my roots, i got into this music because of the sound.....it has never left me.

Jesus so much pent up nonsense, one fellow puts a night on and plays music to a crowd that would probably never hear it, what the hell is wrong with that.

Brett Franklin........overweight, no hair and a few decent vinyl records.

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

This thread has got me between a rock and a hard place. It's clear that whilst the vast majority on here really supportive of the new venture, there are a few who have posted detrimental comments, strong enough to cause some sharp responses.

I'm only 29 (until the end of the month at least) so I guess I would be classed as one of the newer generation. I've known NS from day one really, have been brought up on it and consider myself very lucky to be part of a scene that is on the whole very hush hush... there is a level of exclusivity about it and everyone who is part of that no doubt relishes it.

With the exception of one event in London I have always felt very welcome wherever I have gone and I love the scene for what it is.

Having said that, the lads from up north are looking to re-generate a scene that will one day die out if everyone simply sits back and does nothing. It is not just a good thing if they are offering something to a younger crowd, but essential if there is to be a crowd dancing to sweet soul music thirty years from now.

Perhaps some people are worried the secrecy aspect is lost for a while if us youngsters are getting into the scene but even if that does happen for a while, yes, it will be a fad for some people now, just as it was in "your" day. There is every chance that this new event will recruit and hone a new "hardcore" element and that HAS to be a good thing for the scene.

Everyone is precious about what they hold dear to them - on this site, that happens to be NS. You are never going to please everyone so you have to just to what you believe in and hope for the best. Be respectful to the views of others when they do not share yours and most of all, Keep the faith.

Keep going lads, it's a great idea and I'll be up north for it as soon as I can get there!!

Marcus

Social source share

This thread has got me between a rock and a hard place. It's clear that whilst the vast majority on here really supportive of the new venture, there are a few who have posted detrimental comments, strong enough to cause some sharp responses.

I'm only 29 (until the end of the month at least) so I guess I would be classed as one of the newer generation. I've known NS from day one really, have been brought up on it and consider myself very lucky to be part of a scene that is on the whole very hush hush... there is a level of exclusivity about it and everyone who is part of that no doubt relishes it.

With the exception of one event in London I have always felt very welcome wherever I have gone and I love the scene for what it is.

Having said that, the lads from up north are looking to re-generate a scene that will one day die out if everyone simply sits back and does nothing. It is not just a good thing if they are offering something to a younger crowd, but essential if there is to be a crowd dancing to sweet soul music thirty years from now.

Perhaps some people are worried the secrecy aspect is lost for a while if us youngsters are getting into the scene but even if that does happen for a while, yes, it will be a fad for some people now, just as it was in "your" day. There is every chance that this new event will recruit and hone a new "hardcore" element and that HAS to be a good thing for the scene.

Everyone is precious about what they hold dear to them - on this site, that happens to be NS. You are never going to please everyone so you have to just to what you believe in and hope for the best. Be respectful to the views of others when they do not share yours and most of all, Keep the faith.

Keep going lads, it's a great idea and I'll be up north for it as soon as I can get there!!

Marcus

I completely agree with this. The traditional clubs are going to gradually fade away over the next 10, 20 years. Bringing the music to younger people in town-centre type clubs is best hope for keeping the scene going. For some it might be a fad but others will stick with it.

Alan

Social source share

:lol::)sleep3.gif:lol: :lol:

its time to make up, and move on chaps

does it really matter where, when, and who we listen to the music with :yes: . as long as were with friends and enjoying ourselves :lol:

"it's what's in the groove that counts"

i'll get my coat

alan

Social source share

Marcus

yeh! that's what I meant.. LOL. :) ..right I'm off to the disco!.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Working class kids from poor families embraced Northern mainly, a desire to escape the depression of reality at that time..JELLY BEAN Quote; POST *86 (look above for the post)

Manalive, this has to be the worst thread i have ever read on soul source, Paul B, do whatever you want kid, i am working class, and i still am, i've been in the building trade for nearly 30 years, i never got into the rare soul scene because i felt depressed by my situation, my family were brilliant, and i'm proud of my roots, i got into this music because of the sound.....it has never left me.

Jesus so much pent up nonsense, one fellow puts a night on and plays music to a crowd that would probably never hear it, what the hell is wrong with that.

Brett Franklin........overweight, no hair and a few decent vinyl records.

i grew up in chernobyl and soul music was my only escape. i know where you are coming from gemma although my other half has just spewed up a big green pile of nuclear waste after reading your post.

on a serious note i have just received a text from young paul b. he tells me that a fatty will be ceremoniously slaughtered at the next event.

shane

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert