Duffy's Dancers

Barry

I watched with interest the piece on the young lads that danced on the Duffy vid on ITV last week - and I kinda could see were they were coming from, they were trying to put a positive spin on Northern, stating that it isn't all about 'old men, patches and baggy trousers' - fair do's, fair comment, it isn't - but their views are obviously borne of being surrounded at their chosen venues by the aforementioned 'owd, patched up baggies'.

If you are reading this lads, there are still non patched up, owd looking baggies out there - perhaps you should broaden your horizons a little.

That aside, it was refreshing to see young fella's feeling Northern appropriately.

Next time though, I think you should note that you were dressed in more stereo-typical Northern Soul garb than anyone I've seen for years, so maybe take it easy on your predecessors next time ay?

You looked sharp though, I'll give you.

Well in. :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 114
  • Views 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I watched with interest the piece on the young lads that danced on the Duffy vid on ITV last week - and I kinda could see were they were coming from, they were trying to put a positive spin on Northern, stating that it isn't all about 'old men, patches and baggy trousers' - fair do's, fair comment, it isn't - but their views are obviously borne of being surrounded at their chosen venues by the aforementioned 'owd, patched up baggies'.

If you are reading this lads, there are still non patched up, owd looking baggies out there - perhaps you should broaden your horizons a little.

That aside, it was refreshing to see young fella's feeling Northern appropriately.

Next time though, I think you should note that you were dressed in more stereo-typical Northern Soul garb than anyone I've seen for years, so maybe take it easy on your predecessors next time ay?

Well in. :lol:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Bbc-Nor...html&hl=bbc

Thread with clip and interview

QoFxx

Social source share

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Bbc-Nor...html&hl=bbc

Thread with clip and interview

QoFxx

If the lads have the staying power required on this scene (I think they have), they may live to regret their comments - hopefully though ay Chrissie?

I'm sure in their latter years they would rather be the baggie arsed, patched up Soulie that scares them so much than some 'Umbrella'/R&B loving reprobate. :lol:

Social source share

Well in. :thumbsup:

Alright Barry,

I was the lad mentioning the baggy pants and that. It was just an off the wall comment really. The point i was trying to make was that for the music to go forward and attract a younger crowd then they need to have their own club to listen to the music that is filled with people their own age.

Everytime northern soul is mentioned on tv then straight away its cue footage of fat man with baggy pants on. I was just saying that there's more to the music and the scene than that. And really I was trying to get accross the fact that there's big potential to get a cool night going with good music and nicely dressed young folk. But one of the problems in this country is that northern soul is thought of as an old persons scene and young people won't really give it a chance in its current format, ie in some working mens club with people their Dads age dancing about. I personally have no problem with these nights but it would put others off.

Social source share

Alright Barry,

I was the lad mentioning the baggy pants and that. It was just an off the wall comment really. The point i was trying to make was that for the music to go forward and attract a younger crowd then they need to have their own club to listen to the music that is filled with people their own age.

Everytime northern soul is mentioned on tv then straight away its cue footage of fat man with baggy pants on. I was just saying that there's more to the music and the scene than that. And really I was trying to get accross the fact that there's big potential to get a cool night going with good music and nicely dressed young folk. But one of the problems in this country is that northern soul is thought of as an old persons scene and young people won't really give it a chance in its current format, ie in some working mens club with people their Dads age dancing about. I personally have no problem with these nights but it would put others off.

The kids got a point tho'.

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Alright Barry,

Good on ya paul i agree with with what you are saying, ive just watched the clip and i know them both and what a refreshing change to see two smart young people talking about the scene instead of two old bald fookers........ :thumbsup:

Social source share

Alright Barry,

You've an uphill struggle there Paul, but fair dos for giving it a shot Matey. Watching 20-25 year olds dressed as 40 year old mods is just as comical for some of us though! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

am i the only person who's fed up with hearing about this "manufactured" pop artist?

what's it got to do with soul music? nothing

the decision to use northern soul dancers on the video isn't part of a creative or artisitic process - it's just a marketing decision

it's about trying to a perception (or image) of "cool" to shift units - such decisions are made by middle aged marketing professionals at a brainstorming session in an office - they know or care little about art or music, that's not their job - they are presented with "product" by their employers, and it is their job to maximise sales - they don't create anything new, they latch-onto and imitate currently successful trends - in this case they were obviously trying to ride on the coat-tails of (more talented) successful artists such as amy winehouse and others whose appeal lies partially in a perception that they are part of, or their "style" is sourced from, some nostalgic "underground" music/dancing scene

i remember when spandau ballet did a record with the brass section from light of the world when the new romantic scene was dead on it's arse - that didn't revitalise the jazz funk scene with an influx of young recruits, and the record wasn't accepted at jazz funk events....it was just a pop record marketed with references to a music scene which at the time was perceived as "cool"

fair play to the people who danced on the video - well done for doing a good job, and perhaps some young people might see the video and think that it looks like fun and want to find out more about the allnighter scene....

......but it's just a manufactured pop song

btw, i am however planning to pour petrol on FUDGE'S shoes and set them on fire when he dances in the world championship northern soul dancing competition at cleethorpes this year - i think that it's gonna give him an edge over the other competitors......that trophy is in the bag mate

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

They have a point, purpose, know what they want and are doing something about it with integrity and passion. They don't deserve any criticism.

Social source share

They have a point, purpose, know what they want and are doing something about it with integrity and passion. They don't deserve any criticism.

That's cleared that up then. And here's me thinking they'd just appropriated the things that appealed to them about the scene but without the fat old people who have kept it going down through the years.

Trouble with things that are described as "cool" is that they can just as quickly become "uncool".

ROD

Social source share

Alright Barry,

All very true...must admit I went to the Northern Nationals in Melbourne a couple of years ago and it was really refreshing to see people in their 20's and early 30's (only a very young 43 myself I might add!) dancing to what is a (relatively) new refreshing scene down under and considered quite fashionable and happening and not just full of old gits like us!

Social source share

That's cleared that up then. And here's me thinking they'd just appropriated the things that appealed to them about the scene but without the fat old people who have kept it going down through the years.

Trouble with things that are described as "cool" is that they can just as quickly become "uncool".

ROD

Look, we are trying to keep the music going which is more than most are doing. I've not once slagged anything about the scene just stressing that there needs to be a fresh approach in order to encourage a younger crowd. We don't want to be the 'cool' kids of the week. We want to gat a sucessful club going filled with soul music lovers.

I admire the old guys for keeping their scene going all these years. It shows a real passion and commitment and I'll always love going to nighters. But it will always belong to an older audience because if we're being truthful, noone wants an influx of young people. Noone wants to take the time needed to show them what the craic is. Noone wants to tolerate a few drinks on the dance floor. So we're just trying to put on our own night and hope that we get a nice monthly crowd of people who appreciate what we're trying to do and stick by us.

Why do people on here feel the need to knock anything that the younger soul crowd try to do. If they dance in a video then its shit. If they put a night on then the only reason they're doing it is to be 'cool' and its never going to work.

There's a lot more young people into this music than people realise and there's definitely enough to keep a few good nights going throughout the country. Just because they don't attend the nights you lot attend it doesn't mean they don't exist.

We just want to do our own thing with people our own age in an environment that suits us a bit more. Is that so wrong. Knowing people on here the answer is probably yes.

Edited by PaulB
Social source share

hey i wear baggies but im not fat i might be 50 but i not done with um yet i also i brought duffy and i played it at a couple off venues and it filled the floor so if it works why not and it was not just townies that danced to it

serious ?

Social source share

Look, we are trying to keep the music going which is more than most are doing. I've not once slagged anything about the scene just stressing that there needs to be a fresh approach in order to encourage a younger crowd. We don't want to be the 'cool' kids of the week. We want to gat a sucessful club going filled with soul music lovers.

I admire the old guys for keeping their scene going all these years. It shows a real passion and commitment and I'll always love going to nighters. But it will always belong to an older audience because if we're being truthful, noone wants an influx of young people. Noone wants to take the time needed to show them what the craic is. Noone wants to tolerate a few drinks on the dance floor. So we're just trying to put on our own night and hope that we get a nice monthly crowd of people who appreciate what we're trying to do and stick by us.

Why do people on here feel the need to knock anything that the younger soul crowd try to do. If they dance in a video then its shit. If they put a night on then the only reason they're doing it is to be 'cool' and its never going to work.

There's a lot more young people into this music than people realise and there's definitely enough to keep a few good nights going throughout the country. Just because they don't attend the nights you lot attend it doesn't mean they don't exist.

We just want to do our own thing with people our own age in an environment that suits us a bit more. Is that so wrong. Knowing people on here the answer is probably yes.

Paul,

You are absolutely spot on. F'k 'em!..dont waste you're time trying to keep people happy and explain your point, it's perfectly clear and makes sense. I've a lot of respect for those who have created and turned this scene into what it is now but everything has to move on. If you lot get slated for what you're doing, this scene is going to die a premature death.

I'm not ageist and enjoy the company of friends of all ages but have to admit that it was a weird sight at your last night seeing the dancefloor and place full of younger folks who are generally as inexperienced and keen to learn about the music as I am.

See you in two weeks!...if I'm not too old to get in.. tongue.gif

Jayne.x.

p.s. - Is it 20 year olds dressing like 40yr old mods or are 40yr old mods dressing like they did as 20yr old mods?... not that it matters anyway I guess. :g:

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Paul

I think you make some excellent points, well argued and rationally explained.

I DJ'd a couple of weeks ago with Paul Walker (also one of the Duffy dancers); he did a great spot and we had a chat a little later on about one of the records I played (The Dynells - Call On Me). Paul was genuinely interested in the record and what I had to say about it.

I think it's terrific that there are young people wanting to take this scene on. More power to your elbow mate.

Brian :g:

PS - I still think the Duffy track is just a pop record and not for any soul scene - old gits or young whippersnappers!!

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Good luck with it mate. :g:thumbsup.gif

This scene is very fickle. Fair play to yourself and Liam for trying to do something positive. Like I said on one of the many Duffy threads going at the moment, I have mixed feelings about the scene getting any commercial recognition. It's a mixed blessing. We will get a few genuine people developing a love for the music and they will become a part of the scene and that's good and fair play to lads like yourself and Liam for trying to encourage that.

However, unfortunately, and it will probably only be for a short while, some soul clubs will get an influx of people who dont respect the etiquette of the scene and that can be annoying if you are a genuine soul fan out for a dance, who has perhaps travelled a fair distance.

Anyway, I hope yourself and Liam make a success of your venture.

Good luck with it! :(

Social source share

Well said Paul, Jayne, and Brian.

Well Paul, everything you said to me before your first do has happened exactly as you said it would. You could have written the replies for the dissenters on here 6 weeks ago.

I take my hat off to you for your foresight, and also for all the hard work you, Paul, Liam and Matty have put in to try to keep "our" music going.

If you have an open mind, go to Beat Boutique, you might just enjoy it.

If you want to sit back and crticise because they played a 60ts beat record or something a bit different, don't go.

If you just like a cheap drink you could also go, cos the prices are unbelievable!

Social source share

Go for it Paul, you keep the music alive, enjoy every minute of it :g: luv Di xx

Social source share

Well done and well said Paul!!

Trouble with some people (a LOT of people) on the scene and on THIS forum is they have their OLD BALD heads shoved permanently up their

FAT OLD arses!! and think the music just belongs to them and their age group :no::g: .....lets face it THEY know everything there is to know rolleyes.gif and dont feel the need to share it with cheeky young whippersnappers who should be listening to Blink 185 or whatever theyre called :g:

Its fantastic to see younger people on the scene seriously getting into the music and we should be proud the scene will never die out. :(

:D

:P

Social source share

Well said Paul, Jayne, and Brian.

Well Paul, everything you said to me before your first do has happened exactly as you said it would. You could have written the replies for the dissenters on here 6 weeks ago.

I take my hat off to you for your foresight, and also for all the hard work you, Paul, Liam and Matty have put in to try to keep "our" music going.

If you have an open mind, go to Beat Boutique, you might just enjoy it.

If you want to sit back and crticise because they played a 60ts beat record or something a bit different, don't go.

If you just like a cheap drink you could also go, cos the prices are unbelievable!

Dad knows best!! :g:

Social source share

Meaning?

:g:

Meaning, I choose not to go to venues where there is the chance of Duffy being played

After all you pay your money you make your choice

Social source share

Trouble with some people (a LOT of people) on the scene and on THIS forum is they have their OLD BALD heads shoved permanently up their

FAT OLD arses!! and think the music just belongs to them and their age group :D:g: .....lets face it THEY know everything there is to know rolleyes.gif and dont feel the need to share it with cheeky young whippersnappers who should be listening to Blink 185 or whatever theyre called :P

Its fantastic to see younger people on the scene seriously getting into the music and we should be proud the scene will never die out. :no:

:g:

LOL... Steve!. You're terrible.. :(:D

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

ummmm........who said that? have i missed something?

i think you'll find most people said fair play to you for doing well on the video, and your events haven't been criticised by anyone

it's that awful (imo) duffy song that's being knocked

btw, i would challenge your assertion that there is a younger (or older) crowd - for a start off some of the people who might like to describe themselves as young are in their thirties (ie: middle aged), and secondly most of the people i know socialise with people from teenagers up to retired people without any discrimination about what age group they belong to

at the end of the day people will go to events where there are djs playing the music they like with skill and passion - no one i know cares about how old the djs are - proof of this is the fact that jamie taylor (aged 21 i believe?) was clearly the big hit at prestatyn this year - most of the people i saw dancing to his (fabulous) sets weren't young, and i didn't see any older people leaving because they felt that what he was doing was only for the younger crowd or knocking him for successfully bringing something fresh to mass-appeal on the northern scene

when i was very young i went to the casino and the older people were mostly welcoming - when we started putting on modern-only events we were welcoming to the older people who liked what we were doing - we have enormously more in common than what separates us, and i don't know many people who see age as of any significance

in summary: i sincerely wish you good luck to you with what you're doing, but i think that duffy record is p*ss poor and i'm entitled to express my opinion (for the last time, this is getting tedious now!)

cheers :g:

Social source share

LOL... Steve!. You're terrible.. thumbsup.gif:g:

Jayne.x.

Lol....I love sitting on the fence Jayne :g:

Weve always needed young blood on the scene........apart from Youngblood Smith who couldnt carry a tune in a bucket! :no:

Thanx for clearing that up Longy :(

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

FAT OLD arses!! and think the music just belongs to them and their age group :P:g: .....lets face it THEY know everything there is to know rolleyes.gif and dont feel the need to share it with cheeky young whippersnappers who should be listening to Blink 185 or whatever theyre called :D

Its fantastic to see younger people on the scene seriously getting into the music and we should be proud the scene will never die out. :g:

wink.gif

Spot on! :(:no::D

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

FAT OLD arses!! and think the music just belongs to them and their age group :lamsey::thumbsup: .....lets face it THEY know everything there is to know :rolleyes: and dont feel the need to share it with cheeky young whippersnappers who should be listening to Blink 185 or whatever theyre called :lol:

are you serious?

most people on the northern scene are very nice people who couldn't be more hospitable to newcomers who have a passion for the music - whatever their age

methinks you must be on a wind up?

Social source share

"..there's big potential to get a cool night going with good music and nicely dressed young folk".

That's the quote followed by some rather disparaging remarks about fat men in baggies and old people dancing in working men's clubs which puts the youngsters off.

Perhaps Steve,Brian or Jayne could explain how that translates into an inclusive manifesto to take the scene "forward". Forward? How and where?

ROD

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

"..there's big potential to get a cool night going with good music and nicely dressed young folk".

That's the quote followed by some rather disparaging remarks about fat men in baggies and old people dancing in working men's clubs which puts the youngsters off.

Perhaps Steve,Brian or Jayne could explain how that translates into an inclusive manifesto to take the scene "forward". Forward? How and where?

ROD

Rod

Surely it's all about the music. So younger people might not be keen on what some older people are wearing or on some of the premises that are being used. What's so wrong for them to want to take things forward in a slightly different direction. My god, we've managed to carve ourselves to pieces over the years (Wigan vs The Mecca, the never ending oldies/modern/jazz funk/r'n'b/crossover bickering and arguments that still reverberate through the scene) What Paul seems to be saying is so inoffensive in comparison to some of the crap that's threatened to divide and cleave open the scene in the past. But despite all our in-fighting, the music still remains the constant.

And if Paul and his friends can take things forward with the music still the beacon, does it really matter what they are wearing or which premises they are using to listen to/dance to the music that is so special to all of us.

And when they are in their prime I guess there won't be too many of us original members of the northern soul club around to attend their functions, sit at the back, stroke our chins and tell them 'when I was a lad.......'

Brian :thumbsup:

Social source share

well put james as you know young brett goes to niters etc with us but it must be a little of putting to be out with your parents every week even though you like the same music , the scene needs youngster's and if this is the way forward then great :thumbsup:

Social source share

Rod

Surely it's all about the music. So younger people might not be keen on what some older people are wearing or on some of the premises that are being used. What's so wrong for them to want to take things forward in a slightly different direction. My god, we've managed to carve ourselves to pieces over the years (Wigan vs The Mecca, the never ending oldies/modern/jazz funk/r'n'b/crossover bickering and arguments that still reverberate through the scene) What Paul seems to be saying is so inoffensive in comparison to some of the crap that's threatened to divide and cleave open the scene in the past. But despite all our in-fighting, the music still remains the constant.

And if Paul and his friends can take things forward with the music still the beacon, does it really matter what they are wearing or which premises they are using to listen to/dance to the music that is so special to all of us.

And when they are in their prime I guess there won't be too many of us original members of the northern soul club around to attend their functions, sit at the back, stroke our chins and tell them 'when I was a lad.......'

Brian :thumbsup:

Yes Brian.. well put. :rolleyes:

I think some folks on the scene, who've been doing this for 30 / 40 years can't imagine what it's like to new on the scene with more than just the odd like minded person and with the majority of people much more knowledgeable and established within the scene. A lot of people do come across somewhat patronising to younger people getting into it and it's offputting. I find it difficult to say what I mean here because I desperately dont want to offend and I'm a firm believer that age shouldn't come into it but it can be off putting for many to spend the majority of the time at northern soul events with people who are of a different generation. It shouldn't be and if the music's right that you're hearing it should be enough but it isn't.

I wonder if the Wheel and all the original clubs would have taken off if they hadn't evolved in the way they did... If you'd had a mixture of generations, to the extent we have now - would it all have happened.... (just thinking out loud)..

Jayne.x.

Social source share

ummmm........who said that? have i missed something?

i think you'll find most people said fair play to you for doing well on the video, and your events haven't been criticised by anyone

it's that awful (imo) duffy song that's being knocked

btw, i would challenge your assertion that there is a younger (or older) crowd - for a start off some of the people who might like to describe themselves as young are in their thirties (ie: middle aged), and secondly most of the people i know socialise with people from teenagers up to retired people without any discrimination about what age group they belong to

at the end of the day people will go to events where there are djs playing the music they like with skill and passion - no one i know cares about how old the djs are - proof of this is the fact that jamie taylor (aged 21 i believe?) was clearly the big hit at prestatyn this year - most of the people i saw dancing to his (fabulous) sets weren't young, and i didn't see any older people leaving because they felt that what he was doing was only for the younger crowd or knocking him for successfully bringing something fresh to mass-appeal on the northern scene

when i was very young i went to the casino and the older people were mostly welcoming - when we started putting on modern-only events we were welcoming to the older people who liked what we were doing - we have enormously more in common than what separates us, and i don't know many people who see age as of any significance

in summary: i sincerely wish you good luck to you with what you're doing, but i think that duffy record is p*ss poor and i'm entitled to express my opinion (for the last time, this is getting tedious now!)

cheers :thumbsup:

A nicely worded post and I wish I agreed with you - i really wish I did because nothing would make me happier. But I just dont see it like that. I dont think you can use Jamie as an example in this, Jamie is part of the modern scene he's not a northern DJ. (slightly, as I'm sure its fair to say he's doing well in other fields too) the modern scene is more tolerant of younger DJ's. The northern scene certainly isn't. Sure there are the odd example of young DJ's or young soulies but its' nothing more than the odd example that keeps being thrown up. I'm sure people wouldn't clear the floor, although saying that I've known Sean Livesey and Neil Jones to play the same record in the same venue and get a different response Because of who's played it. I've known young DJ's be passed over for spots because of their age (and I dont just mean Sean).

Jayne.x.

Social source share

ROD

Rod are you for real? You just seem to be picking at anything you can now.

Woolie Mark, I was refering to various negative comments I have come across on this site regarding young soul fans and their various achievments which have been met with often negative criticism.

Jayne, I think you make a good point about younger dj's being overlooked for the big nights. I think that promoters should give them a chance because this will encourage more young people to turn up to these events if they can see others involved.

Maybe thats for another thread though.

Social source share

Its just a vocal minority as ever on here.. Most people i know don't give a flying f"ck what age a person is and i aint ever had younger frinds put off events because its a much older crowd who don't want them there... I don't think about age at all, its all about folk having a good time together with a common interest.. 9,000 members or more on here and we listen to the views of just a few and take that as the policy????????????? :rolleyes::lamsey: ..

Duffy aint the issue here because of one record, just like Banarama and many others who made a northern soul style track,they are not gonna become soul icons and just move on to the next tune depending on what the manager thinks will sell the most...... I hope her next tune is far removed from soul or this thread could put Levine or Mr Roberts on the back shelf :thumbsup:

Like i said before,hundreds of choices of event now from city center joints to the woking mens clubs out in the sticks.. You just go where you wanna go...

Social source share

Rod are you for real? You just seem to be picking at anything you can now.

Woolie Mark, I was refering to various negative comments I have come across on this site regarding young soul fans and their various achievments which have been met with often negative criticism.

Jayne, I think you make a good point about younger dj's being overlooked for the big nights. I think that promoters should give them a chance because this will encourage more young people to turn up to these events if they can see others involved.

Maybe thats for another thread though.

Your best bet Paul, is not to read anything on here and just do your own thing regardless. No one can stop you, whatever their opinions, experience, record collection, yada, yada, and at the end of the day, you don't need anyone's permission either. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well i am hearing "champion" on tv right now..........its nutty,i turn the tv on to escape my northern soul world. :thumbsup: and sign on to source to escape Duffy.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest kevnewry

My 2 Bobs worth!!!! I know one of these YOUNG CADS as do many of you very well and i know for a fact that he has nothing but geniune love for this music. If they make a few quid en route more power to em.Promotion for DARE I EVEN CALL IT NORTHERN SOUL anymore by younger people can only be a positive thing. LIAM ALLTHE BEST BROTHER.... SELL OUT??NAH you keep doing what you're doing!!! And enjoy it :thumbsup:

Social source share

are you serious?

most people on the northern scene are very nice people who couldn't be more hospitable to newcomers who have a passion for the music - whatever their age

methinks you must be on a wind up?

Mark we don't often disagree but I think we do on this one. Hospitable to newcomers? How often do you see "soulies" scowling and growling at folk dancing with a bottle in their hand, rather than offering a quiet word of advice? How often do you hear comments about any style of dancing that appears different to the "norm"? How much sour grapes and bullshit about "time served" do you hear about any younger DJ who tries to stamp his own style on the set he plays?

Hospitable? Amongst ourselves, yes.. but less so to newcomers unfortunately!

You're surely not suggesting those descriptions are inaccurate? :unsure:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul, you know very well that I wish you all the best with your night mate. Don't take any notice of doubters on here...remember that while some of us were having a great time at Prestatyn, many were giving their analysis of the event on SS without feeling the need to leave their own keyboards. Say's a lot, I reckon!

Social source share

A few months back I invited Liam over to my house for a bite to eat and a couple of hours playing tunes, there was no age barrier, no agenda just two blokes upstairs playing a few tunes, talking tunes and sharing yes sharing a passion for rare soul, I could see it in Liams eye's when I played the records that he has a genuine deep rooted love of the music and desire to learn, share and embrace the music, what he was wearing and how old he is really had nothing to do with the fact that he is without question a soul fan, he also came with a box of records and we shared the deck, he reminded me of a record I missed a few years go by 'The Magnificent Seven' on Dial resulting me contacting JM the next day to secure a copy and I thank Liam for that, it's all about repeating myself sorry passion for the music and everything good about the scene, recently I've lost my way a little with DJ'ing etc, due to lack of interest, other commitments and some of the bullshit that goes along with this scene, what never goes away is the desire to collect, play and adore the music that has played such an important part of my life for some 32 years.

Liam and some of the younger crowd on the scene are the future in terms of keeping it going at club level for the future and should be allowed to do their own thing if they wish, age should not be an issue but it seems it is for some.

The only best interest we should have here is the scene's nothing more, as it's already been stated on this thread the music is king and not the ego's of a select few older people who think they own it, you be maverick's Liam and Co. I say the scene needs a good kick up the backside sometimes and shame on those people for having a pop at the young guns on the scene, age has bugger all to do with it, a half decent box of records does however and the desire to contribute rather than shout loudly and say or contribute nothing which is often the case on this scene.

As for Duffy and her record, video etc. I personally have no real comment on this apart from she sounds like Brenda Lee rather than Bettye Lavette or Etta James and has made a half decent retro pop record which I have not had the desire to buy or play as it has nothing to do with what I'm about musically but that simply is about choice rather than the fact it's nothing more than pop music, pop as in popular, number one, sold bucket loads? that kind of thing, makes no difference what I think about it's musical appeal or authenticity of being a soul record because it's not plain and simple.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

A few months back I invited Liam over to my house for a bite to eat and a couple of hours playing tunes, there was no age barrier, no agenda just two blokes upstairs playing a few tunes, talking tunes and sharing yes sharing a passion for rare soul, I could see it in Liams eye's when I played the records that he has a genuine deep rooted love of the music and desire to learn, share and embrace the music, what he was wearing and how old he is really had nothing to do with the fact that he is without question a soul fan, he also came with a box of records and we shared the deck, he reminded me of a record I missed a few years go by 'The Magnificent Seven' on Dial resulting me contacting JM the next day to secure a copy and I thank Liam for that, it's all about repeating myself sorry passion for the music and everything good about the scene, recently I've lost my way a little with DJ'ing etc, due to lack of interest, other commitments and some of the bullshit that goes along with this scene, what never goes away is the desire to collect, play and adore the music that has played such an important part of my life for some 32 years.

Liam and some of the younger crowd on the scene are the future in terms of keeping it going at club level for the future and should be allowed to do their own thing if they wish, age should not be an issue but it seems it is for some.

The only best interest we should have here is the scene's nothing more, as it's already been stated on this thread the music is king and not the ego's of a select few older people who think they own it, you be maverick's Liam and Co. I say the scene needs a good kick up the backside sometimes and shame on those people for having a pop at the young guns on the scene, age has bugger all to do with it, a half decent box of records does however and the desire to contribute rather than shout loudly and say or contribute nothing which is often the case on this scene.

As for Duffy and her record, video etc. I personally have no real comment on this apart from she sounds like Brenda Lee rather than Bettye Lavette or Etta James and has made a half decent retro pop record which I have not had the desire to buy or play as it has nothing to do with what I'm about musically but that simply is about choice rather than the fact it's nothing more than pop music, pop as in popular, number one, sold bucket loads? that kind of thing, makes no difference what I think about it's musical appeal or authenticity of being a soul record because it's not plain and simple.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Cracking read Mark m8 ,down to earth and no shit ,top man :unsure:

Social source share

Did anyone who has jumped to this guy's defence actually read what he said and wrote. It was ageist stereotyping twaddle, and I am amazed that he's been given such an easy ride. Next time all those who've agreed with him are out and they see some big guy in baggies why not have a word in his ear that he's too old and fat and by his very presence putting young people off attending regular venues.

Of course as Little Stevie said it's bollocks. Age does not come into it, and Im pretty proud to say that on this scene neither does race,class or creed.

I have no idea how committed to the music Paul is but as I know Mark well I will accept his view on Liam and conclude that Paul is much the same but his words were very ill-chosen.

As for younger dj's being booked to attract a younger crowd I don't think it really works like that. If we put aside the "you do mine and I'll do yours" crowd then it's down to earned reputation and playlist. As has been said the music is the most important factor not the demographic.

If you've got the records you can get a spot. Sean Livesey is only young but he is a regular at Bury and he is no different to any of the other regular dj's on there. If he has been passed over elsewhere as Jayne maintains then I doubt it's anything to do with his age and more to do with the preference of the promoter.

Paul admits he himself has no problem with attending regular venues and Im sure that he has made friends there as this scene is welcoming, and many a night you can make ten new extremely talkative best friends who are extremely difficult to get rid of when you've had enough.

If he is OK with it all then why this spurious explanation for the lack of other young people in the clubs. It may be that unlike Paul they're not into it but they may go to a disco in the student buildings.

Finally I have no view either way about younger people attending. If they're interested why shouldn't they? As for "etiquette" there isn't any is there. I think the "drink on the dancefloor" is more to do with whom the drink is attached to and that's usually some pissed up local who could be young or old.

ROD

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

A nicely worded post and I wish I agreed with you - i really wish I did because nothing would make me happier. But I just dont see it like that. I dont think you can use Jamie as an example in this, Jamie is part of the modern scene he's not a northern DJ. (slightly, as I'm sure its fair to say he's doing well in other fields too) the modern scene is more tolerant of younger DJ's. The northern scene certainly isn't. Sure there are the odd example of young DJ's or young soulies but its' nothing more than the odd example that keeps being thrown up. I'm sure people wouldn't clear the floor, although saying that I've known Sean Livesey and Neil Jones to play the same record in the same venue and get a different response Because of who's played it. I've known young DJ's be passed over for spots because of their age (and I dont just mean Sean).

Jayne.x.

hi jayne

i found your post really interesting because, after me spending over 20 years thinking that modern rooms would always be secondary and on the outskirts of northern-soul events, this year at prestatyn i really got a sense that it had become part of the "northern mainstream" and i don't think you can say it's separate anymore (maybe largely because the music in the main room was so predictable for a lot of the time - definitely need more young-blood in there imo)

the reason i cited jamie as an example of a highly regarded young dj is that when i looked around the room when he was djing half of the faces i saw were people on the more progressive northern soul scene, ie: people who are regulars at events like the 100club or lifeline, and not just your usual modern crowd - and i've often been in a house room at 4 in the morning and i've never seen that many people before (that's because there aren't very many people on the northern-soul modern scene!)

one of the reasons i stopped regularly going to northern-soul events in the eighties was the hostility from older people towards modern - and it's funny now that most of the modern records from then are now regarded as oldies - but i think that people on the northern-soul scene have grown up a lot since 25 years ago and basically most are just really nice people

in the last few years i have, a couple of times, spoken to someone who was bearing down on some young people dancing who obviously weren't "soulies" and had only come in cos they wanted a late bar and who had maybe spilt a few drops of beers on the floor at the back (where nobody else was dancing anyway) but were obviously enjoying the music to gently say: let them be, they're just having fun and they're not harming anyone

anyway, maybe it's up to us to take young people under our wings, like some of the older guys looked after me when i was young, and bring it to promoters attention that some young djs have developed a following that would be new to their events

....but i wouldn't want my own kids going to a niter :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert