When Were These Recorded?

Geoff

A few weeks ago at Letchworth I was sitting with Warren of Boogaloo and Margie Hendrix's One Room Paradise was played. We both wondered when it was recorded. Also got the same question on another play there, the Matadors' Say Yes Baby.

Can anyone help please?

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

A few weeks ago at Letchworth I was sitting with Warren of Boogaloo and Margie Hendrix's One Room Paradise was played. We both wondered when it was recorded. Also got the same question on another play there, the Matadors' Say Yes Baby.

Can anyone help please?

dunno about the matadors but margie hendrix was 1967 and must fetch a few hundred now, i personally love the raelets version on tangerine which is somewhat cheaper.

kev

Social source share

Thanks for the date on Margie Hendrix. The reason I asked about it was that Warren and I were discussing how the arrangement reminded us of other records. In my case I thought the arranger had been listening to In The Midnight Hour by Wilson Pickett; and Warren reckoned he saw a similarity to Sam & Dave's Soul Man. Does anyone else see what we were getting at?

On the subject of the Matadors' date of recording Say Yes Baby, to me it sounds a fairly early track. Warren wasn't so sure. I know there was a group on the Sue label who recorded Vengeance Is Mine, a nice doowop meets soul song. Were they the same group?

I do find it fascinating to hear a record in a club and notice the resemblance to one that was a chart success. I heard one some time ago where it was obvious that the arranger had been listening to Reach Out I"ll Be There, plenty of others bear resemblance to hits in one way or the other.

Social source share

dunno about the matadors but margie hendrix was 1967 and must fetch a few hundred now, i personally love the raelets version on tangerine which is somewhat cheaper.

kev

Margie Hendrix a few hundred, you got to be kidding. Seen it for around and just over a ton but few hundred, no way!!! Raeletts no way near as good in my opinion (each to their own as they say)and shouldn't be played at a northern venue IMHO :thumbsup:

Social source share

Can anyone help please?

type into google the matadors chavis records it has a sound file too and yes it was 1963

Social source share

Matadors is at least 1965, so is the Empires on Candi, I'd like to see proof they are as early as '63.

I'd like to see proof of it being '65 :thumbsup::rolleyes:

Just checked R&B Indies and it lsits the Candi label as being 1961-1963 and the Chavis label as 1962. Soul Harmony lists the Matadors as 1963 and the Empires on Candi as '62 and '63 and on Chavis as '62. They could be wrong of course.

Social source share

I'd like to see proof of it being '65 :thumbsup::rolleyes:

Just checked R&B Indies and it lsits the Candi label as being 1961-1963 and the Chavis label as 1962. Soul Harmony lists the Matadors as 1963 and the Empires on Candi as '62 and '63 and on Chavis as '62. They could be wrong of course.

Well Chalks, far be it from me to disagree with R'n'B indies, but on style & recording I can't believe it, I'm sure I had a Spiedels stamped with a '66 date, also my Empires had a "Chips" sticker on it, I've never seen one on anything as early as 62-63 ??

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert