Magnetics - Lady In Green

Guest Spinning Vinyl

Guest Spinning Vinyl

See that theres one on Manships auction at the moment.

Just a bit of fun realy .....

How much do you recon the finishing price will be???? Thought Id start this now as its still on a quid .....

Ill go for £6706

remember seeing this on Soul Bowl for £150 once ...... gone are those days eh!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

top tune ....rumoured to be the vloumes moonlighting?...don't know about that , but in the words of troy tempest....anything can happen in the next half hour.

my guess £3980......remember two class tunes for the price of a semi detached house in the 70's

tezzie

Social source share

dont know about moonlighting but the vocalist is the same as magnetics count the days and

the volumes same old feeling and am i losing you ,the flip of aint gonna give you up.

dave

Really ??????

Lady In Green Magnetics are from Detroit, and Count The Days Magnetics are from Chicago. If it's the same lead singer he must have done a lot of commuting. And it's a still unconfirmed rumour that The Magnetics are the same group as The Volumes.

Social source share

:unsure:

That's the day's when, with only three 'known' copies, all resided within a 50 mile radius of each other in East Anglia.. mine, Kev Draper's and, of course, John Anderson's !!

I feel East Anglia has alway's been hard done buy when it comes to recognition for their (ongoing, even) contribution(s) to our wonderous Soul Scene. (Look at the stuff Glen Bellamy, for example, has 'unearthed'.. where the DJ's he's sold them to have gone on to make them 'Classics' and attain the associated recognition of 'breaking' them). :ohmy:

Fingers.. shades.gif

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

That's the day's when, with only three 'known' copies, all resided within a 50 mile radius of each other in East Anglia.. mine, Kev Draper's and, of course, John Anderson's !!

I feel East Anglia has alway's been hard done buy when it comes to recognition for their (ongoing, even) contribution(s) to our wonderous Soul Scene. (Look at the stuff Glen Bellamy, for example, has 'unearthed'.. where the DJ's he's sold them to have gone on to make them 'Classics' and attain the associated recognition of 'breaking' them). :lol:

Fingers.. :thumbsup:

Sorry Fingers... 'Eastern Soul' scene....

...not quite got the same ring to it mate!

:thumbup:

:D

Social source share

Chicago Magnetics is Lee McKinley singing.

But it dose sound a bit like The Volumes on Impact - Same Old Feeling??

It's Johnny Mckinney, not "lee mckinley", he also went by 'lee' (he's Johnny Lemac on Brewtown and Chess) but not "mckinley". He was living in Chicago and Milwaukee at different times in the 60s and 70s but the rest of the magnetics are from the south side of Chicago.

Social source share

Guest Spinning Vinyl

well its 22 days to go and at £2364 :lol: I know im probably well out but wtf always am haha

love the description .... A quest for every Northern Soul collector must be to own this staggering 45 at sometime during their lives. Make sure to die happy..

I know I wouldnt die happy owning this but me bank manager would die unhappy :lol:

Social source share

well its 22 days to go and at £2364 :lol: I know im probably well out but wtf always am haha

love the description .... A quest for every Northern Soul collector must be to own this staggering 45 at sometime during their lives. Make sure to die happy..

I know I wouldnt die happy owning this but me bank manager would die unhappy :lol:

kin ell ive just been tryin to kill that fly on my screen for the last 10mins :lol:

Social source share

Guest Spinning Vinyl

kin ell ive just been tryin to kill that fly on my screen for the last 10mins :lol:

haha always gets someone :lol:

Social source share

Guest moggy

5K I reckon cos theres always some bas***d who can afford it :lol:

Just a quick note, remember the Tim Brown thread a couple of weeks ago regarding Holy Grails a sly dig at JM I believe

well most on auction now are Northern Anthems

and theres not a grail in sight :lol:

JMs Auction that is.

Edited by moggy
Social source share

It's Johnny Mckinney, not "lee mckinley", he also went by 'lee' (he's Johnny Lemac on Brewtown and Chess) but not "mckinley". He was living in Chicago and Milwaukee at different times in the 60s and 70s but the rest of the magnetics are from the south side of Chicago.

Hi Boba,

Are you confirming that the Magnetics on Bonnie are the same group as the Chicago based one? Can you link the groups together? The Magnetics on Bonnie is one of the last great mysteries of Duke Browner's work. It would be great to finally work out exactly who they were. The only link to the Volumes rumour is Duke Browner and the fact that they are both group harmony soul songs. Bit scant on info reference the Bonnie Magnetics. Any help appreciated.

Social source share

150 :D . I born later...looool

How much do you recon the finishing price will be???? Thought Id start this now as its still on a quid .....

Ill go for £6706

biggrin.gif

Social source share

Hi Boba,

Are you confirming that the Magnetics on Bonnie are the same group as the Chicago based one? Can you link the groups together? The Magnetics on Bonnie is one of the last great mysteries of Duke Browner's work. It would be great to finally work out exactly who they were. The only link to the Volumes rumour is Duke Browner and the fact that they are both group harmony soul songs. Bit scant on info reference the Bonnie Magnetics. Any help appreciated.

Do you know the dates of the Volumes releases? The Magnetics is around November 1965, perhaps they changed their names to the Volumes as there was a girl group on Motown called the Magnetics around that time.

Social source share

Hi Boba,

I'm pretty sure the magnetics on bonnie are not the chicago group. Johnny McKinney remembered the 6 sides I know of and didn't mention the bonnie 45. I was talking about the magnetics on sable / J-V. Johnny McKinney cut records as a solo artist on MAD, Clock, and then as Johnny Lemac on Chess / Brewtown. I can look at a bonnie label scan to see if I recognize the names of any of the other members also, though, I will try to dig up a scan.

Social source share

I'm pretty sure the magnetics on bonnie are not the chicago group. Johnny McKinney remembered the 6 sides I know of and didn't mention the bonnie 45. I was talking about the magnetics on sable / J-V. Johnny McKinney cut records as a solo artist on MAD, Clock, and then as Johnny Lemac on Chess / Brewtown. I can look at a bonnie label scan to see if I recognize the names of any of the other members also, though, I will try to dig up a scan.

Also, this confuses the picture more, but Johnny did talk about auditioning for Berry Gordy (he even had a note from Berry). But I think that we before he met his group the magnetics. I'm trying to get in contact with the other members (who actually were 'the magnetics' before McKinney joined the group so I guess they could have done something before), when I do, I will have further confirmation that they are or are not the bonnie group.

Social source share

Thanks for the scan, given that it's just duke browner on that record, I won't know until I talk to the other members. I just met Johnny a couple of weeks ago and will get in contact with the other members soon, I will let you know what they say about their group before Johnny joined.

Social source share

Thanks for the scan, given that it's just duke browner on that record, I won't know until I talk to the other members. I just met Johnny a couple of weeks ago and will get in contact with the other members soon, I will let you know what they say about their group before Johnny joined.

Hi Boba,

Excellent. Duke Browner's association with The Volumes goes back to the Big Top/Harry Balk days. I doubt that The Volumes are the Magnetics as it doesn't make sense to change names midstream whilst trying to establish a group. (Unless of course they were moonlighting from Harry Balk's Impact label maybe but Duke Browner would have no reason to do that as he and Harry were close. When I spoke to Harry last year he new nothing of a group called The Magnetics but new about The Volumes. Look forward to hearing what Johnny remembers about those days.

Social source share

Hi Boba,

Excellent. Duke Browner's association with The Volumes goes back to the Big Top/Harry Balk days. I doubt that The Volumes are the Magnetics as it doesn't make sense to change names midstream whilst trying to establish a group. (Unless of course they were moonlighting from Harry Balk's Impact label maybe but Duke Browner would have no reason to do that as he and Harry were close. When I spoke to Harry last year he new nothing of a group called The Magnetics but new about The Volumes. Look forward to hearing what Johnny remembers about those days.

He's probably just forgotten, check out # 7 of copyright document for LIG

Social source share

He's probably just forgotten, check out # 7 of copyright document for LIG

Hi Simon,

Excellent. Even got the date on. My reasoning is that if Harry remembered The Volumes but not them being renamed The Magnetics then it's still only a rumour about them being one and the same line up. Thanks for scanning the reg cert. Nice! If only Andy had got Mr Browner to open up eh?

Social source share

Ive just found them in the draw Theres a Lady in Green score complete with alterations, Crying over you score,Dena Barnes score Not a chance in a million score and Certificate, Publishers clearance form for Crying over you and a clearance form for lady in green. If i had all this lot Simon might have them as well if not i will post them tomorrow.

Social source share

Interesting Boba, I got mixed up with one of these records on Sable??.

The MagneticsRather a mish mash of a discography this one. There are at least five different groups using the name The Magnetics, so all are listed below.

The Magnetics (From Philadelphia)

Ra-Sel R7-104 - I Have A Girl / Love And Devotion - 1967

The Philadelphia Magnetics have as far as I know only the one release, although other releases on the

Ra Sel label exist. John Anderson at Soul Bowl is rumoured to have several unreleased acetates by the group.

The Magnetics (From Detroit)

Bonnie 107374 - Lady In Green / Heart You're Made Of Stone - 196?

The Detroit Magnetics are possibly the same group that recorded on Allrite (Because of the Detroit association of the label). However, according to Dennis Coffey (Who played on both group's sessions) are NOT The Volumes recording under a different name as was once thought.

The Magnetics (No idea where from although I would suspect Detroit, so it might even be the same group)

Allrite 620 - Where Are You / The Train - 1962

Hitsville Acetate - Father Time

Histville Acetate - Please Don't Go Away

The second Detroit Magnetics are definitely a white sounding girl group, which according to Andy Rix, are not particularly good, which would account for the tracks never gaining an actual release.

The Magnetics (From Chicago)

Sable 102 - When I'm With My Baby / Count The Days - 196?

J-V 2501 - Oh Love / Wasting Time - 1969

The Chicago Magnetics releases have Lee McKinney as the lead singer, so are all the same group.

Lee McKinney & The Magnetics (Same group from Chicago)

Sable 104 - I'll Keep Holding On / ? - 196?

The Magnetics (No idea where from, but definitely a different group)

Sound Trap 30391 - Let Me Comfort You / Good By My Love - ?

The group on Sound Trap are a complete mystery to me. Help anyone ?

Social source share

The sound trap group is from virginia and was a cheap record until some seller hyped it up recently and now it's expensive. Sort of cool and basement sounding.

The flip of the other sable title is something like "jackie baby" (but it has a longer title), I can see if I can dig it up.

Interesting Boba, I got mixed up with one of these records on Sable??.

The MagneticsRather a mish mash of a discography this one. There are at least five different groups using the name The Magnetics, so all are listed below.

The Magnetics (From Philadelphia)

The Philadelphia Magnetics have as far as I know only the one release, although other releases on the

Ra Sel label exist. John Anderson at Soul Bowl is rumoured to have several unreleased acetates by the group.

Bonnie 107374 - Lady In Green / Heart You're Made Of Stone - 196?

The Detroit Magnetics are possibly the same group that recorded on Allrite (Because of the Detroit association of the label). However, according to Dennis Coffey (Who played on both group's sessions) are NOT The Volumes recording under a different name as was once thought.

The Magnetics (No idea where from although I would suspect Detroit, so it might even be the same group)

The second Detroit Magnetics are definitely a white sounding girl group, which according to Andy Rix, are not particularly good, which would account for the tracks never gaining an actual release.

The Magnetics (From Chicago)

The Chicago Magnetics releases have Lee McKinney as the lead singer, so are all the same group.

Sable 104 - I'll Keep Holding On / ? - 196?

The Magnetics (No idea where from, but definitely a different group)

Sound Trap 30391 - Let Me Comfort You / Good By My Love - ?

The group on Sound Trap are a complete mystery to me. Help anyone ?

Social source share

• 3 years later...

I've read that The Magnetics on Bonnie were made up of a morphed version (personnel changes) of The Magnetics that had recorded for Allrite Records, with the Volumes' later lead singer (not falsetto lead Eddie Union-but their lead on the later Inferno releases). I seem to remember Ron Murphy mentioning this (possibly on Soulful Detroit Forum).

Social source share

Ill go for £6706

biggrin.gif

My copy is in the north sea, about 50 yards from cleethorpes pier mind u that was around 35 year ago silly billy

Social source share

Robb - Gerald Mathis who sang on the Impact release 'That Same Old Feeling' don't you think?

Cheers

Richard

Yes, Gerald Mathis. That's the guy.

J. (John) "SoulSmith" (Smith) interviewed former Volumes' member, Bobby Peterson (during a Prestatyn visit to UK), which can be found here:

https://jsoulsmith.blogspot.com/2009/06/magnetics-volumes.html

What he says that Peterson revealed jibes with the other story that was going around, that they were, indeed, actually the Volumes' lineup that existed after Eddie Union had left the group to pursue a solo career. Assuming this is true, I still am inclined to think that there is a connection to the Allrite label group (at least one member).

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Here we go again,this is how i understand it,when i went to Duke Browners house on Broadway,Detroit he told me that it was the Volumes in between contracts that recorded Lady in Green Now the lead vocal on that tune was Gerald Mathis same guy as Same Old Feeling(compare the voices for yourselves)Gerald comfirmed this when i spoke with him many years ago.Before this recording 65 a single on Allright came out The Train the main man in this line-up was Tony Johnson (of Tony and Tyrone)Please Operator Atlantic and he comfirmed that as he was a friend of myself and Andy Taylors.The other groups of the same name were as already stated.Chicago and PhillyOh by the way that early Detroit group recorded but without release for Motown,they later changed the group name to i think The Downbeats .....help me out here you Motown men

Social source share

Ill go for £6706

biggrin.gif

gone for sure ' happy days they were ' had many big records from J Anderson .

Social source share

Here we go again,this is how i understand it,when i went to Duke Browners house on Broadway,Detroit he told me that it was the Volumes in between contracts that recorded Lady in Green Now the lead vocal on that tune was Gerald Mathis same guy as Same Old Feeling(compare the voices for yourselves)Gerald comfirmed this when i spoke with him many years ago.Before this recording 65 a single on Allright came out The Train the main man in this line-up was Tony Johnson (of Tony and Tyrone)Please Operator Atlantic and he comfirmed that as he was a friend of myself and Andy Taylors.The other groups of the same name were as already stated.Chicago and PhillyOh by the way that early Detroit group recorded but without release for Motown,they later changed the group name to i think The Downbeats .....help me out here you Motown men

The Downbeats were led by Johnny Dawson. I remember having seen the names of the other three members, as well as all of the names of The Allrite Magnetics, and if I remember correctly, NONE of them matched. I'm almost positive that The Magnetics on Allrite did not have any connection to Motown's Downbeats.

Social source share

I think "that early Detroit group recorded but without release for Motown" he was referring to was not the Magnetics but the similar sounding Majestics who later changed their name to the Monitors.

I doubt it, as the Magnetics who recorded the two acetates at Motown were a white sounding girl group.

Social source share

As it says in my article the members of the Magnetics who cut "The Train" in 1962 for Allrite were Bobby Peterson, Sharon Peterson, Tony Johnson (lead singer), Jackie Perkins and Candi Bell.

The members of the Volumes / Magnetics who cut "Lady In Green" for Bonnie were Gerald Mathis (lead singer), Bobby Peterson, Elijah Davis, Ernest Newsome & William 'Pete' Crawford.

Finally the members of the Volumes were came over to sing at Prestatyn in 2009 were Eddie Union (ex 1960's Volume), Elijah Davis (ex 1960's Volume & 'Bonnie 'Magnetic), William (Pete) Crawford (ex 1960's Volume & 'Bonnie' Magnetic) and Bobby Peterson (ex 1960's Volume & 'Allrite' + 'Bonnie' 'Magnetic).

After his spell in the group, Tony Johnson (ex Allrite Magnetic) teamed with Tyrone Pickens as the duo Tony & Tyrone.

Ex 1960's Volume members Ernest Newsome and Gerald Mathis passed away prior to 2009 when the group came to the UK. Another of the Volume's ex lead singers Jimmy Burger had by 2000 become a minister and was no longer prepared to go back to performing secular music.

Thus the 4 guys that played Prestatyn in 2009 included the only 3 surviving members of the group that cut "Lady In Green".

All the above facts are as told to me by Elijah Davis, William (Pete) Crawford, Bobby Peterson and Eddie Union (though Eddie had no knowledge at all of the groups Magnetics period as he wasn't involved with the other guys at all during those times).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

I KNEW there was a link between the Allrite and Bonnie Magnetics. It was Bobby Peterson. After his Magnetics broke up, he joined The Volumes. When The Volumes (minus Eddie Union) wanted to use a different name, Peterson must have suggested his old group's name.

Social source share

Right, so having waded through all the posts, I've changed the discography on SKM to look like this

The Magnetics (From Detroit. Members: Bobby Peterson, Sharon Peterson, Tony Johnson (lead singer), Jackie Perkins and Candi Bell). When Tony Johnson left the group he teamed up with Tyrone Pickens to record as the duo Tony & Tyrone

The Magnetics (From Detroit. Members: Gerald Mathis (lead singer), Bobby Peterson (the same singer who was in the Magnetics on Allrite), Elijah Davis, Ernest Newsome & William 'Pete' Crawford) This group was in fact The Volumes who were at the time in between contracts.

Bonnie 107374 - Lady In Green / Heart You're Made Of Stone - 1965

The Magnetics (From Detroit. The third Detroit Magnetics are definitely a white sounding girl group, which according to Andy Rix, are not particularly good, which would account for the tracks never gaining an actual release.)

The Magnetics (From Philadelphia) (The Philadelphia Magnetics have as far as I know only the one release, although other releases on the Ra Sel label exist. John Anderson at Soul Bowl is rumoured to have several unreleased acetates by the group.)

The Magnetics (From Chicago The Chicago Magnetics releases have Lee McKinney as the lead singer, so are all the same group.)

Sable 104 - I'll Keep Holding On / Jackie Baby - 196?

(M.F.Williams) "featuring" THE MAGNETICS vocal with instrumental accompaniment BY: The Sounds Unlimited. (From Richmond)

Sound Trap 30391/2 - Let Me Comfort You / Good By My Love - ?

Can anyone add anything more, such as the Chicago lineup ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!