The Delfonics "you'll Get Enough" - Another Under-rated Gem?

I'm in the middle of a collection audit, so I'm re-visiting lots of previously forgotten stuff (like the Johnny Johnson from last week) so every time I bump into something of interest I like posting it.

This is a perfect example. Where was this when we needed it!!!

Prime-time Philadelphia perfection and I reckon they must have heard "If That's What You Wanted" - Frank Beverly 'cos the BV's at the beginning are very similar.

But how come this didn't surface till the 90's? I reckon this would have been huge virtually everywhere if we'd had it in the 70's. Also a rare uptempo workout from the group known for their tear-jerking ballads and the soundtrack of "Jackie Brown" LOL....

I'd love to hear this out and played LOUD! Would sound spectacular. I have permission to post this from the owner.......

Enjoy!

Ian D

09_You_ll_Get_Enough.mp3

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Am I right in thinking this wasnt issued in the 60s?

I've got it on a Philly Groove reissue with The Crusaders - You Pay For Love on the b side.

Your right Ian, great tune which needs playing out wink.gif

Yeah, it's 60's recording. I got about 20 CD's from Reid Whitelaw who administrates the Philly Groove catalogue and this was buried away in 'em. I think Goldmine did a custom pressing of it which is probably out of stock now. Some great stuff tucked away on those plus I've got all the instrumentals too, so good listening!

I'm having great fun digging around this gear again 'cos you just never know what you're going to find. I'd play the Delfonics and Johnny Johnson out anytime 'cos neither have really been played before - y'know, mix 'em in with a few rarities and bob's yer uncle.

Talking of which, did you ever hear this? Check file below - I'm sure Glen @ Joe Boy won't mind - I rang him yesterday raving about about this LOL..........

Best,

Ian biggrin.gif

06_Agent_for_love.mp3

Social source share

Agree this needs to be played , i ain't a dj in the sense but occasionally get a chance to spin a few early at local soul nights , late spots are always taken !!!....played this twice last year

but no reaction , in the north east anyway....no doubt if it was spun at say middleton it would be well received......just needs a mainliner to give it a go.

Social source share

Agree this needs to be played , i ain't a dj in the sense but occasionally get a chance to spin a few early at local soul nights , late spots are always taken !!!....played this twice last year

but no reaction , in the north east anyway....no doubt if it was spun at say middleton it would be well received......just needs a mainliner to give it a go.

I think it's one of those that fell between the gaps - there's loads of 'em out there. Unfortunate that it didn't get found 'til the 90's and that it never came out originally. But what a tune - I like it more than a lot of stuff in the Top 500 LOL......

Ian D

Social source share

Yeah, it's 60's recording. I got about 20 CD's from Reid Whitelaw who administrates the Philly Groove catalogue and this was buried away in 'em. I think Goldmine did a custom pressing of it which is probably out of stock now. Some great stuff tucked away on those plus I've got all the instrumentals too, so good listening!

I'm having great fun digging around this gear again 'cos you just never know what you're going to find. I'd play the Delfonics and Johnny Johnson out anytime 'cos neither have really been played before - y'know, mix 'em in with a few rarities and bob's yer uncle.

Talking of which, did you ever hear this? Check file below - I'm sure Glen @ Joe Boy won't mind - I rang him yesterday raving about about this LOL..........

Best,

Ian :D

Hello Ian ,I first heard the Delfonics via a Kent CD of unissued and obscure sides ." Agent for love " has an interesting story , being the vocal of course to Guys from Uncle " The Spy " .In the 70's fanzine editor Dave McCadden [RIP ] ,wrote a made up story asking if anyone had a copy of the vocal to The Spy , titled " Agent for love " .It of course didn't exist , though years later people were claiming to have heard it at Cleethorpes !! The folks at Joe Boy decided to make this in the 90's , recorded in B'ham I think .You probably know this story anyway :thumbup: ,the strange world of Northern Soul eh ? Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Hello Ian ,I first heard the Delfonics via a Kent CD of unissued and obscure sides ." Agent for love " has an interesting story , being the vocal of course to Guys from Uncle " The Spy " .In the 70's fanzine editor Dave McCadden [RIP ] ,wrote a made up story asking if anyone had a copy of the vocal to The Spy , titled " Agent for love " .It of course didn't exist , though years later people were claiming to have heard it at Cleethorpes !! The folks at Joe Boy decided to make this in the 90's , recorded in B'ham I think .You probably know this story anyway :D ,the strange world of Northern Soul eh ? Best ,Eddie

Yeah, but I only heard the song this week and then caught up with the story afterwards. I don't usually like these added vocals - I also listened to a few of the Soussan vocal dubs and they haven't aged well at all - but "Agent For Love" sounds great and pretty authentic to these ears. Also the lyrics have every cliche going - namechecking Agent Double-O Soul and borrowing heavily from Len Jewell's "Bettin' On Love" but I still love it LOL....whoever the vocalist is, she's great!

Also it's funny how things repeat themselves isn't it e.g. Soussan listing a fictitious Bob Relf track called "Reaching For The Best" and then Levine nicking the title for the Exciters track?

And yep, the Northern Soul scene is strange - probably the strangest scene on the planet LOL......

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

Yeah, but I only heard the song this week and then caught up with the story afterwards. I don't usually like these added vocals - I also listened to a few of the Soussan vocal dubs and they haven't aged well at all - but "Agent For Love" sounds great and pretty authentic to these ears. Also the lyrics have every cliche going - namechecking Agent Double-O Soul and borrowing heavily from Len Jewell's "Bettin' On Love" but I still love it LOL....whoever the vocalist is, she's great!

Also it's funny how things repeat themselves isn't it e.g. Soussan listing a fictitious Bob Relf track called "Reaching For The Best" and then Levine nicking the title for the Exciters track?

And yep, the Northern Soul scene is strange - probably the strangest scene on the planet LOL......

Ian D biggrin.gif

You're right Ian , it is a goodie , if there was only 2 copies and one was cracked , it'd probably be massive !! Best ,Eddie

Social source share

I'm in the middle of a collection audit, so I'm re-visiting lots of previously forgotten stuff (like the Johnny Johnson from last week) so every time I bump into something of interest I like posting it.

This is a perfect example. Where was this when we needed it!!!

Prime-time Philadelphia perfection and I reckon they must have heard "If That's What You Wanted" - Frank Beverly 'cos the BV's at the beginning are very similar.

But how come this didn't surface till the 90's? I reckon this would have been huge virtually everywhere if we'd had it in the 70's. Also a rare uptempo workout from the group known for their tear-jerking ballads and the soundtrack of "Jackie Brown" LOL....

I'd love to hear this out and played LOUD! Would sound spectacular. I have permission to post this from the owner.......

Enjoy!

Ian D

thanks for reminding me of this. a fantastic track for sure ! . Been playin Down is up up is down lately by Delf. out. Sounds fantastic loud and available and cheap as well thumbup.gif . sounds a bit like the one above I think

Social source share

thanks for reminding me of this. a fantastic track for sure ! . Been playin Down is up up is down lately by Delf. out. Sounds fantastic loud and available and cheap as well :wicked: . sounds a bit like the one above I think

Now you're talking, I like YGE but Down Is Up is brilliant and I've never heard it played out. £2 record as it sold a million, perhaps that's why; shame on us (well at least me)!

Social source share

Now you're talking, I like YGE but Down Is Up is brilliant and I've never heard it played out. £2 record as it sold a million, perhaps that's why; shame on us (well at least me)!

And I don't even have it! Plus not on any of my Delfonics comps either. Blast. Was never too keen on the syrupy slow stuff back then so looks like I'll have to invest £2 on a single LOL....

Ian D :wicked:

Social source share

Best,

Ian :thumbsup:

Ian

The vocalist on "Agent For Love" is Jackie Deane, she was vocalist on the vocal to "Strings Of Life" which Defected had a hit with some years ago.

The record was made in Alcester, near Stratford-Upon-Avon, very much a tongue-in-cheek kind of thing.

I gave first ever play to "Agent For Love" at Ritz all-nighter some years back and Guy Hennigan came running up thinking it was real...if it was good enough for Guy...

Neil

Social source share

Guest Simon

Good call Ady, 'Down is up' is superb, flip to 'Didn't i blow your mind'.

I've played it out before but not at an NS do, more yer sort of across the board kinda night.

Love 'You'll get enough' also!

Simon :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ian

The vocalist on "Agent For Love" is Jackie Deane, she was vocalist on the vocal to "Strings Of Life" which Defected had a hit with some years ago.

The record was made in Alcester, near Stratford-Upon-Avon, very much a tongue-in-cheek kind of thing.

I gave first ever play to "Agent For Love" at Ritz all-nighter some years back and Guy Hennigan came running up thinking it was real...if it was good enough for Guy...

Neil

Wow. She's great. Plus sounds really authentic too. Also, I got put onto it by a major collector who rates it very highly. Don't blame him. I actually played it on the radio show yesterday (along with the Delfonics) with a full introduction on it, so if you wanna have a listen go to:-

https://www.sixmillionsteps.com/6MS-2008-03-16-Starpoint.mp3

It's just over halfway through:-

1st Hour

Darlene McCoy - Unity

Deniece Williams - Slip Away

Kenix & Bobby Youngblood - There's Never Been (No One Like You)

Stan Lucas - It's Not The Same

Taste Of Honey - We've Got The Groove

Fonzi Thornton - Beverly

The Live Band - A Chance For Hope

Ron & Candy - Lovely Weekend

The Supremes - Bad Weather

June Evans - If You Want My Loving

Dottie Pearson - Bring It Over Baby

Gloria Scott - What Am I Gonna Do

2nd Hour

The Delfonics - You'll Get Enough

Aldora Britton - Do It With Soul

The Girls From U.N.C.L.E. - Agent For Love

Bobby Hebb - Love Love Love

Arnold Blair - Trying To Get Next To You

Choice Four - Hook It Up

Van McCoy - Soul Improvisations Pts 1 & 2

Jae Mason - Cloud Of Sunshine

Sharon McMahon - Get Out Of My Life

Charles McCormick - I Want You For Myself

The Malemen - Baby Doll

The Isley Brothers - Spill The Wine

Omari - After Loving You

Best,

Ian D :thumbsup:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Simon

Good call Ady, 'Down is up' is superb, flip to 'Didn't i blow your mind'.

x :D not my fault Abba won in Brighton Simon

Don't apologise, i like ABBA!

Simon :lol:

Social source share

Best,

Ian :)

Cant you post propper clips,refosoul jobs like the rest of us :P cause i dont wanna`left click save then mess about getting it to play.

Social source share

Cant you post propper clips,refosoul jobs like the rest of us :P cause i dont wanna`left click save then mess about getting it to play.

Apologies Ken. I did try and go the Refosoul route on these but I'm a technological buffoon who still can't manage to work it all out.

I'm going to have another crack in the next day or so hopefully I'll get 'em up there unless some other good soul can oblige.......

Best,

Ian D :)

Social source share

I think it's a stomper, not crossover at all. And Ian it was the Stylistics who were syrupy, the Delfonics were pure class. (though Point Of No Return by the Stylistics is a great dancer)

Sorry Ady, I meant to say 'treacley'. My excuse but we weren't allowed to like soppy class back then round our way LOL. Anything less than 80mph was considered heresy........

Ian D :P

Social source share

Good thread Ian :unsure:

It's funny, I'd dug the 45 out this week for a spin at The Orwell this Saturday!

Another uptempo side of theirs that's currently getting spins in the 70's & Crossover clubs is 'I told you so' - that's brill as well!

Cheers

Steve

Cheers Steve. Even if I had a boxful of ultra-rares I'd still play it. It's been a fave of mine since the first time I heard it and it elates me every time I hear it and not many records do that these days. It's almost as if Stan Watson went into the studio one day and said, "OK fellas, enough of this soppy shit, let's give those Motown guys a run for their money and put a Delfonics typa spin on it!".

Also weird that there's no strings on it! There's horns on there but no string section which is unheard of on a Delfonics record. I reckon it was probably a demo which never got 'sweetened' or the string section had a day off LOL....

Oh and good luck with The Orwell on Saturday. Give my regards to Sam and Pete Haigh. I'll get up there one day, promise.....

And here's "I Told You So" whilst we're on a Delfonics vibe.......

Best,

Ian D :(

03_I_told_you_so.mp3

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert