Records You Hate

Guest Bearsy

. If I went to hear what I wanted, I might as well stay at home and bore myself to death.

Paul ,please don't put yourself down ,you have some wonderful records and a great taste in music :shades:

Amazing how something you write can be taken outta context isn't it :D

I sold a record to a dj once ,someone asked him what he'd bought ,he replied ..

" I DON'T EVEN LIKE IT ,BUT IT GET'S EM UP DOES'NT IT" :thumbsup:

So that blows the theory of not buying records you don't like , outta the water .

I was speaking to a local dj a couple of years back and talking as he was about to follow me on the decks and his record sleeves were was colour coded and i mentioned thats a bit organised and then he went through why and a small section was of records he DONT like but knows they fill the dance floor yes.gif i did laugh :thumbup:

Social source share

• Replies 117
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Bearsy

It has never happened to me but i do know promoters who tell there guests what to play, you have made a very good point here :thumbup:

then the dj should tell the promoter to book some other robot instead then :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yes i am a dancer......i absolutely love dancing so yes i play records that hopefully fills the floor wink.gif

But i do not own or play records that i hate or that are over played!! Ok i admit i own one record i hate ie....The Snake :shades: but this was bought years ago when i did enjoy it,and i,ll keep hold of it just incase someone requested it. I also own records that are over played but would not play them unless they were requested. My thing is to play something thats not heard out that often and also something different. If i believe in a certain toon then i,m not too scared to play it like some DJ,s are.

And i do go to venues where i know i,m gonna dance me arse off wicked.gif the reason i go to venues that play the same old,is purely to support friends that DJ there........and no my friends do not play same old :no:

I enjoy dancing equally as much as DJing :P my DJing stemmed from doing an all girl DJ line up and the proceeds ended up going to our chosen charity :thumbsup: .......since then ~ The Sunshine Girls ~ evolved and we put on another charity night for ~ Birminghams childrens hospital ~ and we have another charity night coming up on the 27th June for the same cause. Because now we are registered and will continue raising funds for ~ BCH ~ :thumbup: In between the charity events i have been asked to DJ at various venues......i have NEVER asked for a spot and i NEVER would. :no:

Right have i made myself a bit clearer now Nev? :D Probably not!! LOL :P

JB xxx

THINK THAT REALLY DOES SUM YOU UP JELLYBEAN!!

AS A RESIDENT AT SOME VENUES, I THINK THAT YOU ARE REGARDED AS THE BACKBONE OF THAT PARTICULAR CLUB, I DON'T TURN UP WITH A LITTLE BOX, BUT A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF RECORDS TO HOPEFULLY SATISFY ANY REQUESTS,THE WAY I SEE IT IS IF A CUSTOMER ASKS FOR A TUNE & I HAVE IT, THEN I WILL PLAY IT,AFTER ALL THE PERSON HAS PAID GOOD MONEY TO BE ENTERTAINED & SURELY HAS A RIGHT TO EXPECT TO HEAR HIS REQUEST, I TOO HAVE THE SNAKE IN ONE OF MY BOX'S!

IF I CAN'T SATISFY THE PERSONS NEEDS I WOULD SAY NO CAN DO,ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO HEAR!! NOT PLAYING REQUESTS CAN LEAD TO LOSING CUSTOMERS WHO WILL FIND SOMEWHERE THAT WILL PLAY THERE REQUEST!! YOU'RE ONLY AS GOOD AS THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE YOU ATTRACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAX...

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

it wasnt me either Donna :thumbup:

i am djing at a scooter rally this weekend and there is no way i will be playing the snake not even for a dare no.gif i just say politely that the next Dj is desperate to play it so will leave it to Mischief :thumbsup:

Anyway, if i dont like a tune i wouldnt play it even if i had it cos i loved the flip of it and bought it for that,

How's he gonna have time to play the snake Bearsy when he has to fit in Do i Love u, The night, Red Light, Fortune teller..............

XXX

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

How's he gonna have time to play the snake Bearsy when he has to fit in Do i Love u, The night, Red Light, Fortune teller..............

XXX

somehow he normally manages it Helen :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yes i am a dancer......i absolutely love dancing so yes i play records that hopefully fills the floor wink.gif

But i do not own or play records that i hate or that are over played!! Ok i admit i own one record i hate ie....The Snake , but this was bought years ago when i did enjoy it,and i,ll keep hold of it just incase someone requested it. I also own records that are over played but would not play them unless they were requested. Cos i likes to please the PAYING PUNTERS!!! My thing is to play something thats not heard out that often and also something different. If i believe in a certain toon then i,m not too scared to play it like some DJ,s are.

And i do go to venues where i know i,m gonna dance me arse off :D the reason i go to venues that play the same old,is purely to support friends that DJ there........and no my friends do not play same old :no:

I enjoy dancing equally as much as DJing :P my DJing stemmed from doing an all girl DJ line up and the proceeds ended up going to our chosen charity :thumbsup: .......since then ~ The Sunshine Girls ~ evolved and we put on another charity night for ~ Birminghams childrens hospital ~ and we have another charity night coming up on the 27th June for the same cause. Because now we are registered and will continue raising funds for ~ BCH ~ :thumbup: In between the charity events i have been asked to DJ at various venues......i have NEVER asked for a spot and i NEVER would. :no:

Right have i made myself a bit clearer now Nev? :shades: Probably not!! LOL :P

JB xxx

READING YOU LOUD AND CLEAR JB

THANKS FOR THE CLARITY AND VERY WELL PUT INDEED.

OH AND WELL DONE WITH THE CHARITY WORK ,GOOD LUCK FOR THE FUTURE!

NEV thumbup.gif

Social source share

The Four Tracks thread got me thinking...

Would you play a record you hate if someone requested you for it?

I would love to own a copy of the Four Tracks... cos I think 'Voo Doo Man' is a cracker of a record.

I can't stand 'Like My Love For You'... but seeings as you can't have one without the other.. it's in your play box.

Would you stick it on if you were asked... even though you hate it?

I haven't got a clue what I'd do... so maybe I'm gonna pass on getting one... just so's I don't have to decide! :P

Social source share

The Four Tracks thread got me thinking...

Would you play a record you hate if someone requested you for it?

I would love to own a copy of the Four Tracks... cos I think 'Voo Doo Man' is a cracker of a record.

I can't stand 'Like My Love For You'... but seeings as you can't have one without the other.. it's in your play box.

Would you stick it on if you were asked... even though you hate it?

I haven't got a clue what I'd do... so maybe I'm gonna pass on getting one... just so's I don't have to decide! :P

Well I've read most of the information regarding records we don't like, and I think that every Dj keeps his record box only to what he would play at a venue,

So if some one asked me for a record and they know I have it in my box liking it or not I must play it. But if it's that bad it would be at the end of my spot then I've made some one very happy both the Dj that follows me and the said person that requested the record :D

den

Edited by Dendog
Social source share

If you dont play what the punters want at an event, isnt that playing records for yourself ? Bit of a "I WILL ONLY PLAY WHAT I LIKE" scenario.

Does'nt that defeat the object of Djing?

........Suprised if promoters let you do this........ where do you play where no one comes and asks you for a record in your spot ?

Totally agree with "Dukesy", you play for yourself at home surely & not at a venue?? Also if you dislike the record so much you wouldn't have it in the box to start with, unless it was a flip, of course. As for the Dj, well there are those that will & those that never would, play requests that is, you ask Mr Dobson for a request & he'll most likely make his own request to you, if you know what I mean. Also when promotors book Dj's they know what type of music they'll play & wether they'll do requests, so surely us, the paying public knows also,don't we?? :huh: What bugs the life out of me (besides her indoors) is when Butch or Mick H or somebody are booked & then asked to play standard Oldies,what a waste. :thumbsup:

Take care, be safe & "If you don't ask, you don't get", :yes:

Spot. :D

Social source share

What bugs the life out of me (besides her indoors) is when Butch or Mick H or somebody are booked & then asked to play standard Oldies,what a waste. :thumbsup:

Take care, be safe & "If you don't ask, you don't get", :yes:

Spot. :D

I am with you 100% on this one Spot.

I know that I am probably the only person on the planet who was disappointed with Butch's two visits to Burnley.

I wanted him to play something that I didn't know that would blow me away to such an extent that my life would never be the same again.

It's not as if he couldn't do it... I bet he could have spent his whole two hour spot doing it.

But he chose not to.

To have the records and not play them is something I just don't understand.

Is it because we are not deemed worthy enough to hear them... or just not worth it full stop?

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i am sure we may have a record we hate due to a b side but like if your a mobile dj you buy records well cd's mostly now on a basis of to cater for a wide audience. not saying you need everything but you need some and that is how i see it for Northern soul. if i can have or me and dad can have a big collection including some we may hate then if we dj we can play your song if we have it in box on night

more records means we can't take them all out for 1 night doing a spot but you can always alternate tracks and anything you feel is popular or plays more keep in the box. so you hope to please people everytime

Social source share

Totally agree with "Dukesy", you play for yourself at home surely & not at a venue?? Also if you dislike the record so much you wouldn't have it in the box to start with, unless it was a flip, of course. As for the Dj, well there are those that will & those that never would, play requests that is, you ask Mr Dobson for a request & he'll most likely make his own request to you, if you know what I mean. Also when promotors book Dj's they know what type of music they'll play & wether they'll do requests, so surely us, the paying public knows also,don't we?? :lol: What bugs the life out of me (besides her indoors) is when Butch or Mick H or somebody are booked & then asked to play standard Oldies,what a waste. :thumbup:

Take care, be safe & "If you don't ask, you don't get", whistling.gif

Spot. :lol:

Oi You! Have a bit of respect for yer other half!

Ian D biggrin.gif:D:D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert