Records You Hate

I go to events to see hear dj's I respect and I WANT to hear what they want play. If I went to hear what I wanted, I might as well stay at home and bore myself to death. The whole point of going to an event, is to be suprised, inspired and excited. How can i do that within my own, limited and predjudiced confines? How will i discover new tunes? :lol: When I first went to nighters in 76, I didn't know anything and heard new stuff EVERY WEEK...thats why i went. Thats the POINT of hearing a dj and trusting him/her to play from the 'heart and soul'....not from a top 500. :D

I couldn't have put it better - too right mate :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 117
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

im confused :D ...."would you play a record you hate if requested "....if you hate it why have you bought it in the first place?...unless you liked it once i suppose but if you are passed being bored with it and actually HATE it why have you not sold it...and then it doesnt matter if you get requested for it....

not on the soul scene but i know of commercial djs,weddings etc who HAVE to buy (or download now) tunes they dont like...

Social source share

Guest rachel

im confused :D ...."would you play a record you hate if requested "....if you hate it why have you bought it in the first place?...unless you liked it once i suppose but if you are passed being bored with it and actually HATE it why have you not sold it...and then it doesnt matter if you get requested for it....

not on the soul scene but i know of commercial djs,weddings etc who HAVE to buy (or download now) tunes they dont like...

Erm.. try reading the first post again....

Social source share

If you dont play what the punters want at an event, isnt that playing records for yourself ? Bit of a "I WILL ONLY PLAY WHAT I LIKE" scenario.

Yes exactly, and that to me is exactly what every soul DJ should do. A discerning punter should know what a DJ is likely to play in style if not the records and therefore the best DJ's will be playing what the punters want, which for me is to be surprised by something never heard or rarely heard.

And that appears to be the main issue nowadays, suspect the punters you are meaning want to hear only what they know and know very well, Why bother with a DJ then, top 500 jukeboxes I believe are soon to be made available by GoldSoul.

Does'nt that defeat the object of Djing?

Only if you are more interested in being a DJ than the music you are playing, on reading this that seems to be the majority view, sad to say. Makes my gin sodden armchair seem welcoming and warm, again!!

Social source share

i try to play to the floor and if asked for a request if i have it i will play dispite weather i like it or not if im lucky enough to be asked to play a venue i believe that im there to entertain the punters if they happy and the promoters happy then im happy so happy all around id say after all we not there to play for ourselfs after all we can do that at home but i have only bin djing for a yr so i might have it all wrong ( not )

Social source share

i try to play to the floor and if asked for a request if i have it i will play dispite weather i like it or not if im lucky enough to be asked to play a venue i believe that im there to entertain the punters if they happy and the promoters happy then im happy so happy all around id say after all we not there to play for ourselfs after all we can do that at home but i have only bin djing for a yr so i might have it all wrong ( not )

sorry i forgot to say which record i hate its not a northern song but a motown record and its baby love diana ross :D

Social source share

I don't think you should play the record if you know it will clear the floor :lol: but then again it get done sometimes :D:lol:

Surely it depends on the venue, every record has to be introduced to the punters at some point and taking the risk of clearing the floor first time is surely an acceptable risk to get a record out there, a good DJ will get it back and maybe quieten the floor later with another risk (I suspect the sort of venues DJ's playing such new stuff will have enough people willing to dance to never quite empty the floor), that to me is a great DJ rather than a mediocre one, of which there seem to be 5,999,998 out there (mediocre not great!)

Also some venues don't have such an issue with the odd floor clearer, would suggest there are enough of these much feared and loathed chinstrokers out there that will dance next time, or maybe the next time!!

Social source share

PS: never ceases to amaze me how many people reply without reading the original post properly :D

I was just going to say that, now the majority after reading (or not should I say) will start the chinese whispers that will end up Joan only plays records she hates :lol: :lol:

Who said anything about buying records they hate?

Also... surely there isn't anybody who buys records they don't like.

Anybody out there buy records they don't like?

Sadly reading this Joan there are loads, all no doubt fuelled by the egotistical drive to be the best DJ in their 30 mile local soul night radius.

Would you not agree Joan that DJ'ing was something you were asked to do, after a significant period of being around records and the scene, rather than the mad rush everyone and their dog has to play records these days. It makes me laugh on here week after week to see people on here advertising their "yet another" new night playing something different which to me translates as to give themself a DJ spot and then they wonder why they get half a dozen people. Its not a scene I recognise, thankfully............

Its madness I say madness!

Social source share

Bingo, that's exactly the point - most of us got into the soul scene to get away from that Sh*t. Sadly nowadays there appears to be little difference between the commercial scenario above and the majority of soul nights out there! You pays your money and takes your choice has never been truer!!

Okay my BP is rising too fast, off for a lie down in a darkened room and some more Gin.

Social source share

If you dont play what the punters want at an event, isnt that playing records for yourself ? Bit of a "I WILL ONLY PLAY WHAT I LIKE" scenario.

Does'nt that defeat the object of Djing?

........Suprised if promoters let you do this........ where do you play where no one comes and asks you for a record in your spot ?

That's the HUGE difference between the venues that put punters through the Top 500 machine, and those that work hard to make this a progressive scene by adding new music. New music that will eventually find it's way to the less adventurous venues, when it's been tested for dance floor safety.

A DJ should be booked for what he plays, not for following instructions. Good DJs play the music they like, their musical taste is generally what makes them good.

An hour of predictable floor fillers doesn't make a good DJ :D

Social source share

i try to play to the floor and if asked for a request if i have it i will play dispite weather i like it or not

Surely if you have it, you like it? I only play what I like, otherwise i would be a performing monkey with no discernable soul. Its the enthusiasm and energy of the dj's that make a night. If you dont like the records you are playing, surely you lack enthusiasm and your soul is being hijacked by strangers? :D

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

My most hated record is Wade In The Water, be it Marlena Shaw, Little Sonny, Ramsey Lewis.....I don't have it, don't want it, I never dance to it & i would never play it if I did have it cos I f#*cking well detest it.

KTF

Baz

Social source share

Okikoki :lol: but it wasnt played for me the last time I went there can't remember who I asked for it but they looked at me real strange and said thats on a motown label I've not got it I told them it was on Carnival and they said no def a motown I left the stage feeling like I was a bit daft :D (nothing new)

but maybe see you at Rubgy LMS

I wasnt on,i love it!! :lol:

Social source share

That's the HUGE difference between the venues that put punters through the Top 500 machine, and those that work hard to make this a progressive scene by adding new music. New music that will eventually find it's way to the less adventurous venues, when it's been tested for dance floor safety.

A DJ should be booked for what he plays, not for following instructions. Good DJs play the music they like, their musical taste is generally what makes them good.

An hour of predictable floor fillers doesn't make a good DJ :lol:

It has never happened to me but i do know promoters who tell there guests what to play, you have made a very good point here :D

Social source share

why own a record that you hate , sell it and buy one you like.

simple realy

to true, I don't buy records i hate, can't see the point, besides if i did somebody would then come and say, play this for me and then i would feel obligated, that apart I hate that dreadful Interpaly and cringe whenever i hear it.

cris

Social source share

The Four Tracks thread got me thinking...

Would you play a record you hate if someone requested you for it?

I would love to own a copy of the Four Tracks... cos I think 'Voo Doo Man' is a cracker of a record.

I can't stand 'Like My Love For You'... but seeings as you can't have one without the other.. it's in your play box.

Would you stick it on if you were asked... even though you hate it?

I haven't got a clue what I'd do... so maybe I'm gonna pass on getting one... just so's I don't have to decide! :D

No, if you're a self-respecting DJ stick to what inspires you and will hopefully eventually inspire the audience. I very seldom bought records I didn't like in the first place. Occasionally, if things were a bit dry, I might pick up something in a swop deal and then occasionally regret it - the Jewells "We Got Togetherness" and August & Deneen "We Go Together" spring to mind - both solid Northern stompers but not really to my taste. But, by and large, I generally managed to avoid even having records I intensely disliked, so when asked for a request, I could genuinely say "sorry mate, haven't got it" or something along those lines. It worked like a dream back in the day.....

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

...and just how is that relevant to this thread ???

was just replying that there are times when someone may buy a tune cos they know it will be asked for whether they like it or not...maybe even some on this scene ?

if i had a tune i didnt like on the flip of something id played and i got requested to play it then i would do my best to work it into my set as i am there entertain and want people to dance and comeback again..part of the fun of playing to me is going from one style to another in the space of a few tunes ..without emptying the floor hopefully...

was asked to play at a soul night last week and told they like uptempo so didnt take much slower stuff and played what i did have earlier on...on my third and last spin on the dex after 4 stompers the floor started to thin a bit and i could see some of the "more mature" dancers on the sides puffin and panting so went from uptempo northern to uptempo rnb to slower rnb and got them all back...great fun

im not doing it for my ego....i dont wanna be the best just want people to get the same buzz out on the floor that i do when im behind the dex listening to REAL music whether it be soul or reggae

Social source share

Yes exactly, and that to me is exactly what every soul DJ should do. A discerning punter should know what a DJ is likely to play in style if not the records and therefore the best DJ's will be playing what the punters want, which for me is to be surprised by something never heard or rarely heard.

And that appears to be the main issue nowadays, suspect the punters you are meaning want to hear only what they know and know very well, Why bother with a DJ then, top 500 jukeboxes I believe are soon to be made available by GoldSoul.

Only if you are more interested in being a DJ than the music you are playing, on reading this that seems to be the majority view, sad to say.

You've hit the nail squarely on the head there Jock!!

There are dozens of soul nights where the DJ's only motivation is a desperation to be behind the decks and they just see records as a means to achieve this, irrespective of quality and personal taste.

I sometimes go to local nights and wonder why they bother to have four or five different DJ's on, as they all have the same records and it's just a matter of whose turn it is that night to play, say, "Because of You"!

Then I remember that if the "promoter" didn't give these DJ's an hour of autopilot on the decks, he wouldn't get asked to reciprocate the following weeks when those guests have their own nights. Sad, as you rightly say! :lol:

Just out of interest, somebody mentioned "Baby Love" as a record they dislike: So what? What's that got to do with northern/rare soul? :thumbsup::yes:

Social source share

I often buy records i dont like???? especially at 5 in the morning in the record bar very drunk and overcome with excitement :thumbsup: listen to something on a little portable record player (you all know what i'm talkin about :yes: ) thinking you've just found the next ROSE BATISTE then next day at home realising just how crap it is :lol::lol::lol: i do it quite often, anyone else dare own up?????? :lol::D xxx

Social source share

NOT READ THE WHOLE THREAD BUT HERE GOES ,MY 2P'S WORTH................

1/ never buy records you don't like.Altho' tastes change.

2/ don't panic if a request comes along and you ain't got it!.It's either not in yer box,you can't afford it,you don't like it or, IT DON'T FIT YOUR TASTE.( dont be ashamed to admit you don't like a track,DJ'S have feelings too :thumbsup: ).

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Well as a bog standard punter my two pennies worth is this.......

Unless i knew the DJ personally i would never make a request and even then i wouldnt do it on the night,

I think its a bit insulting, just my opinion.

I try to go to nites that have the music policy i like or to see the dj's that have the same taste as me

I like to get around to experience different dj's n venues too usually on recommendation or if ppl on here post they are going and i know i have similar taste to them.

Like ive sed before sometimes i like to be educated sometime i like the comfort of the top 500.

but speaking as a punter i would prefer to let the dj's to do their stuff rather than play a lot of requests which may make their sets disjointed.

Why not play ur fav's in the car on the way up like we do then you get the best of both worlds.

Helen

XXX

Social source share

I don't have records in the playbox that I don't personally like (perhaps some B sides)...I do have some on the shelves though I can't stand :thumbsup:

In the scenario of a double sider, only play it if you like it. I don't like the 4 Tracks A side much, but say a well known oldie like Jackey Beavers on Revilot would probably play either side if requested.

Would never play something I don't personally like or believe in. Happy to say no sometimes.

Funnily enough friday I got a request to play Foxie Lila, and without the request I wouldn't have played it even if I was on for 4 hours, because I didn't think it was right for the venue. Having it requested, I played it.

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

My most hated record is Wade In The Water, be it Marlena Shaw, Little Sonny, Ramsey Lewis.....I don't have it, don't want it, I never dance to it & i would never play it if I did have it cos I f#*cking well detest it.

KTF

Baz

great to know. but do you ever play it if requested due to you having it in your box because you play the other side? :no::g:

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

The Four Tracks thread got me thinking...

Would you play a record you hate if someone requested you for it?

I would love to own a copy of the Four Tracks... cos I think 'Voo Doo Man' is a cracker of a record.

I can't stand 'Like My Love For You'... but seeings as you can't have one without the other.. it's in your play box.

Would you stick it on if you were asked... even though you hate it?

I haven't got a clue what I'd do... so maybe I'm gonna pass on getting one... just so's I don't have to decide! :g:

Only play what you want to play!

I kept getting asked for this at the Scooter rallys...........I went out and bought it bacause of the requests.............now I play it after Ruby Andrews (But before the Snake)

:no:

So yeah baby.............

*edited - mp3 attachment removed*

Edited by rachel
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

If there is a song i hate and it's requested for then usually i will play it to please the person.

I just hate it when DJ's have a record you request but won't play it. and if it's a song that would fill a floor what is the problem

I usually ask for Sugar dumpling well my dad does and altought people might say not again it fills a floor so must be a good song

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

When I was DJing at last years Mersea Island Scooter rally I must have been asked for the snake about 30 times, every other person who came up to the booth asked for it. Eventually gave in and played it. Then I got people coming up to the booth asking, what was I playing this S*** for :g: You just can't win! I wouldn't dare approach a scooterist doo without it in my box though :no:

I've made a point of not carrying The Snake for at least three years now, and if it should slip in on a cd somewhere I refuse to play it. Its one of only two tracks that I won't play (the other is Bad Manners Skinhead Girl FTR) out of sheer "have you not heard this bloody record often enough?"ness. Never had a problem with that, usually offer to slip a less over played scooterist classic on - either last, or one before last, Huddersfield SC do I had this scenario and got as many people up to "I Don't Need No Doctor" as i would have to The Snake. There's always another tune to play and I hadn't heard that at a scooter do for maybe 15 or 20 years now.

As for early doors sets, because I take the view that I'm ALWAYS guesting and so play new/unknown stuff that I think will go down well with scooterists. I often ask for an early warm up spot to throw a few newies on, and then do a full set later on if possible. It helps that people have heard a tune previously sometimes.

Found out the hard way that people don't want a full hour of stuff they don't know the hard way though :g:

Social source share

I've made a point of not carrying The Snake for at least three years now, and if it should slip in on a cd somewhere I refuse to play it. Its one of only two tracks that I won't play (the other is Bad Manners Skinhead Girl FTR) out of sheer "have you not heard this bloody record often enough?"ness. Never had a problem with that, usually offer to slip a less over played scooterist classic on - either last, or one before last, Huddersfield SC do I had this scenario and got as many people up to "I Don't Need No Doctor" as i would have to The Snake. There's always another tune to play and I hadn't heard that at a scooter do for maybe 15 or 20 years now.

As for early doors sets, because I take the view that I'm ALWAYS guesting and so play new/unknown stuff that I think will go down well with scooterists. I often ask for an early warm up spot to throw a few newies on, and then do a full set later on if possible. It helps that people have heard a tune previously sometimes.

Found out the hard way that people don't want a full hour of stuff they don't know the hard way though :g:

Errrrrrrrrr I was only having a joke, I have never even owned a copy of the snake :no:

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

great to know. but do you ever play it if requested due to you having it in your box because you play the other side? :no::g:

As said Mik, I don't have it, I also can't stand the flip 'Showtime' either, so for me it's a double shite record, I will however concede that others may like it, even love it......like the old adage, you can't please all of the people all of the time, only some of the people some of the time.

KTF

Baz

Social source share

As said Mik, I don't have it, I also can't stand the flip 'Showtime' either, so for me it's a double shite record, I will however concede that others may like it, even love it......like the old adage, you can't please all of the people all of the time, only some of the people some of the time.

KTF

Baz

i fink ess talkin about Marlena Shaw wading in the water :no: great tune

Social source share

Well as a bog standard punter my two pennies worth is this.......

Unless i knew the DJ personally i would never make a request and even then i wouldnt do it on the night,

I think its a bit insulting, just my opinion.

I try to go to nites that have the music policy i like or to see the dj's that have the same taste as me

I like to get around to experience different dj's n venues too usually on recommendation or if ppl on here post they are going and i know i have similar taste to them.

Like ive sed before sometimes i like to be educated sometime i like the comfort of the top 500.

but speaking as a punter i would prefer to let the dj's to do their stuff rather than play a lot of requests which may make their sets disjointed.

Why not play ur fav's in the car on the way up like we do then you get the best of both worlds.

Helen

XXX

Very well put Helen!

Social source share

Why would you have it, if you hate it?

Perhaps because he likes the B side Paul... it could happen! :lol:

What has scared the beegeebees out of me is how many people carry the Snake around in their playbox!

Jesus christ on a bike... what's all that about? :ohmy:

I am proud to say I have NEVER owned a copy of the Snake... have never even had it on tape!

What I can't get my head around is when DJ's say.. "oh I really didn't want to play so and so but someone requested it.." Errm... if you really didn't want to play it... why have it in your play box?

The only valid excuse imo is if it's a double sider. Otherwise.. if it ain't in your box.... you can't play it!

So leave the Snake at home guys... that way you can't play it... no matter how many times your asked.

Problem solved... :(

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

Why would you have it, if you hate it?

You would have it even if you hated it to please PAYING punters that wanna hear it.........i,ve got 45,s that i would,nt say i hate, but that are overplayed and i myself are sick of hearing!! But if requested i would gladly play to please!! Even the snake and i do hate that :( its the only one i,ve got that i do hate though,and its in my collection cos i bought it when i did like it years ago :ohmy:

JB

So to come round to my original point you are more interested in being a DJ than the music you are playing?

Social source share

No i,m not more interested in being a DJ :lol: far from it actually.

Jelly Bean

I have no doubt you are probably a really nice person :(

But..........

you are imho digging a deep hole here.

Firstly you say you are a "dancer" and therefore play records for the floor i:e for dancers...yes?

But also admit to owning and actually playing records you dont really like ,even hate,are sick of overplayed choons etc etc.

I genuinely would love to know, what is your motivation ??

Why not just go to venue's ,and dance to the records that are guaranteed floorfillers and do what you enjoy most......... dancing :lol:

If you say you are just as sick others on here ,of hearing same old,same old records,are'nt you just contradicting yourself ??

Social source share

Jelly Bean

I have no doubt you are probably a really nice person

But..........

you are imho digging a deep hole here.

Firstly you say you are a "dancer" and therefore play records for the floor i:e for dancers...yes?

But also admit to owning and actually playing records you dont really like ,even hate,are sick of overplayed choons etc etc.

I genuinely would love to know, what is your motivation ??

Why not just go to venue's ,and dance to the records that are guaranteed floorfillers and do what you enjoy most......... dancing

If you say you are just as sick others on here ,of hearing same old,same old records,are'nt you just contradicting yourself ??

Yes i am a dancer......i absolutely love dancing so yes i play records that hopefully fills the floor wink.gif

But i do not own or play records that i hate or that are over played!! Ok i admit i own one record i hate ie....The Snake :shades: but this was bought years ago when i did enjoy it,and i,ll keep hold of it just incase someone requested it. I also own records that are over played but would not play them unless they were requested. Cos i likes to please the PAYING PUNTERS!!! My thing is to play something thats not heard out that often and also something different. If i believe in a certain toon then i,m not too scared to play it like some DJ,s are.

And i do go to venues where i know i,m gonna dance me arse off wicked.gif the reason i go to venues that play the same old,is purely to support friends that DJ there........and no my friends do not play same old :no:

I enjoy dancing equally as much as DJing :P my DJing stemmed from doing an all girl DJ line up and the proceeds ended up going to our chosen charity :thumbsup: .......since then ~ The Sunshine Girls ~ evolved and we put on another charity night for ~ Birminghams childrens hospital ~ and we have another charity night coming up on the 27th June for the same cause. Because now we are registered and will continue raising funds for ~ BCH ~ :thumbup: In between the charity events i have been asked to DJ at various venues......i have NEVER asked for a spot and i NEVER would. :no:

Right have i made myself a bit clearer now Nev? :D Probably not!! LOL :P

JB xxx

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

When I was DJing at last years Mersea Island Scooter rally I must have been asked for the snake about 30 times, every other person who came up to the booth asked for it. Eventually gave in and played it. Then I got people coming up to the booth asking, what was I playing this S*** for laugh.gif You just can't win! I wouldn't dare approach a scooterist doo without it in my box though :thumbup:

it wasnt me either Donna :D

i am djing at a scooter rally this weekend and there is no way i will be playing the snake not even for a dare :shades: i just say politely that the next Dj is desperate to play it so will leave it to Mischief :thumbsup:

Anyway, if i dont like a tune i wouldnt play it even if i had it cos i loved the flip of it and bought it for that,

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert