Top 5 Soul Records Of All Time

Having read lots of posts this weekend there were lots of reminders thatmade me realise why this music we all means so much to me which prompted me into thinking that if I had to rescue 5 records from my collection before they all went up in smoke which would they be.

1. Belita Woods - I just love you - Epic (soul perfection, this track has every quality that makes me realise why this music means so much to me, if it were a £1000 instead £15 I would saving up now).

2. Marvin Gaye - What's going on - Tamla Motown (my green & white demo is probably my most prized demo in my collection next to my Stateside red & white demo of The 4 Tops of Baby I need your loving).

3. Junior Walker & The All Stars - What does it take (to win your love) - Tamla Motown (the Carlsberg version again another lovely green & white demo).

4. Betty Willis - Take my heart - Rendevous (very early haunting crossover soul music, thanks to Pat Brady for putting me onto this many years ago).

5. Tower Of Power - So very hard to go - Warner Brothers (just truly awesome, from my early days as a collector).

What are the 5 records you would rescue ????

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Guest moggy

The Drifter: Ray Pollard (no relation was he)

She"ll come running back : Mel Britt

Way Back Home: Junior Walker

I need you : Andrea Henry

Change gonna come : Sam Cooke

:lol: They all make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up even after all these years :wicked:

Social source share

You Know what, I got back into Spellbinders - Help Me in a big way in the last month or so...it was Adey C playing it at the last 100 club I went to really, but what a track, STILL sounds Brilliant, unlike things like Idle Few which sound old and limp top my ears...IMO of course

Jaibi - What Good am I

Dells - make Sure

Troy Dodds - Try my Love

Think it must also be the beautiful Looking Issue on this one,That El-Camino Mountain range and the time when guys like June Jackson and Troy Dodds were making records on the Coast hold something of a mystical calling for me Laughs, I just love that whole coastline up to Seattle and beyond...Magical music...

Mal.C.

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Id rescue Bessie Banks......I cant make it without you......Verve.

Marvellos....Somethings Burnin.......Loma

Doni Burdick and the wonderful Bari Track. This disc is the ultimate NORTHERN inst. Everyone should be made to listen to this when they are starting out on the scene.

Jackie Wilson...Ive lost you. another one newcomers should be made to listen to.

Eric Mercury..Lonely Girl. (If I had a copy that is)

And tons more!!!!!!

Social source share

I'd have to rescue ,

Jerry Williams - If you ask me [ my fave Northern side , Great vocals , strings , lyrics , this one has the lot ]

Arthur Alexander - I need you baby [ the ultimate beat ballad ]

Jimmy Holiday -The turning point [ UK Liberty demo ] bought this off Pete Widd at Stafford for £2 , couldn't live without it now ]

James Carr -Dark end of the street [ UK Stateside demo ] The perfect Soul record.

Patrice Holloway -Love and desire [uK Capitol demo ] Have to save this for both sides .

Great thread Alan ,Best ,Eddie

Social source share

I'd have to rescue ,

Jerry Williams - If you ask me [ my fave Northern side , Great vocals , strings , lyrics , this one has the lot ]

Jimmy Holiday -The turning point [ UK Liberty demo ] bought this off Pete Widd at Stafford for £2 , couldn't live without it now ]

James Carr -Dark end of the street [ UK Stateside demo ] The perfect Soul record.

Patrice Holloway -Love and desire [uK Capitol demo ] Have to save this for both sides .

Eddie, you forgot Robert Parker !! :D

Great to hear it in your set at Banbury last Saturday :ohmy:

Social source share

5. Tower Of Power - So very hard to go - Warner Brothers (just truly awesome, from my early days as a collector).

In my opinion the above record is the best record mentioned in this thread so far. Although I would probably pick some ultra-obscure records given that I'm a collector, I would think that the truly best soul records of all time would probably also have to be records that were so good that they were huge national hits. For example, I think that the best soul record of the 70s, hands down, is the Spinners "I'll be around". If I had to pick my favorite sweet soul record of all time (since I collect sweet soul), I would have to go with an obscure one, though -- the Young Mods "I can't hurt you back."

Social source share

mel brit - she"ll coming running back

chaumonts - now yourve gone (instrumental that just cant get enough off gets me every time)

tommy navarro - i cried my life away

herbert hunter - i was born to love you (classssssic)

pat thomas - long long night (sublime)

filling up just thinking about em :ohmy:

russ

Social source share

Guest Simon

Bluejays - Point of view @ Jay

Gloria Jones - Tainted love @ Champion

Yvonne Baker - You didn't say a word @ Parkway

Martha & the Vandellas - In my lonely room @ Stateside

Four Tops - Bernadette @ Tamla Motown

5 phenomonal records imo that get better every time i listen to them!

Simon

Social source share

suspicion - originals briliant tune ( will have to be a cd as never issued )

soulmate - ray pollard

becasue i love him - patti williams unknown but brilliant

since you've been gone - 4 tops best 20p i ever spent but didnt know i had this tune till i flipped it.

follow the sun - chico holiday

they would be the ones id rescue , agree with the earlier poster about james carr dark end of the street id rescue this if i had it but not yet got a good copy.

Social source share

What a question....lol so many that mean so much to me, guess we are talking Northern here? still a bugger of a question but here goes.

George Blackwell - Can't Lose My Head - Smoke - Said it before and will say it again simply perfection, has it all, possibly the finest example of Northern Soul ever, certainly sounds as good now as it did the first time I heard it thirty odd years ago, took me forever to find an original and although we buy, sell, swap, trade this ain't going anywhere.

The Poets - She Blew A Good Thing - Symbol DJ - As above stunning record, timeless and one of my treasured white demos.

The Intentions - Don't Forget That I Love You - Philips DJ - Takes me to another place, awesome record.

Jimmy Gilford - Heartbreaker - Solid Hit DJ - Hairs back of the kneck, shiver down the backbone if you get my drift, Detroit, down tempo just does me up like a kipper everytime I play it.

Bettye Lavette - Let Me Down Easy - Calla - Passion, pain, voice, emotion this record is the full package for me.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

House on fire, only time to grab 5 45s! For me:

Enchanters - I Paid For The Party - Loma W/Demo

Jackie Beavers - Bring Me All Of Your Heartaches - Grandland

Jackie Wilson - Beautiful Day - Brunwick W/Demo

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On - Tamla W/Demo

Deena Johnson - The Breaking Point - Wild Duece W/Demo

All five of them inevitably end up on the Technics at home when enjoying a few scoops with Mates, sure sign of quality.

5 LPs next?

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

All five of them inevitably end up on the Technics at home when enjoying a few scoops with Mates, sure sign of quality.

5 LPs next?

TOP Quality :rolleyes: if i did' not get this out of the fire i'd be at breaking point.

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

"Jackie Beavers - Bring Me All Of Your Heartaches - Grandland"

I'm glad it's not just me that thinks this is awesome :ohmy:

5 Records to save from my collection? I would probably go up in smoke trying to decide but at first guess:

Jock Mitchell - Not A Chance in A million - cos that's the likelihood I have of ever replacing it :thumbsup:

Jimmy Soul Clark - I'll Be your Champion - has me in tears

Joe Mathews - She's My Beauty Queen - feel good detroit

The Arabians - Please, Take A chance On Me - the perfect tune

The Constellations - I Don't Know About You - ultimate uplifting record

Actually I feel ill at the thought of everything going up in smoke :)

Social source share

heres my personal five that always crop up inthe internal memory banks...make me smile/induce palpitations etc. :lol:

LOU PRIDE I.M COMIN HOME INTHE AFTERNOON!! :lol:

TOWENDA BARNES YOU DIDNT MEAN IT..killed me when i was 11 still does now..proof that rarity dont mean a thing..unless its :yes::lol: :lol:

BOBBY ADAMS THATS THE KIND OF MAN I AM deadly northern funk attack..SUPER RARE TOO.!!

BESSIE BANKS TRY TO LEAVE ME IF YOU CAN super deep vocals with passion & meaning.

STEVIE WONDER TOO HIGH local disco break dancing stomping memories...snogging & drinking!!

Social source share

heres my personal five that always crop up inthe internal memory banks...make me smile/induce palpitations etc. :lol:

LOU PRIDE I.M COMIN HOME INTHE AFTERNOON!! :D

TOWENDA BARNES YOU DIDNT MEAN IT..killed me when i was 11 still does now..proof that rarity dont mean a thing..unless its :lol: :lol: :lol:

:yes: BOBBY ADAMS THATS THE KIND OF MAN I AM deadly northern funk attack..SUPER RARE TOO.!!

BESSIE BANKS TRY TO LEAVE ME IF YOU CAN super deep vocals with passion & meaning.

STEVIE WONDER TOO HIGH local disco break dancing stomping memories...snogging & drinking!!

Edited by souljazera
Social source share

LOU PRIDE I.M COMIN HOME INTHE AFTERNOON!! :D

TOWENDA BARNES YOU DIDNT MEAN IT..killed me when i was 11 still does now..proof that rarity dont mean a thing..unless its :lol::lol::lol:

:yes: BOBBY ADAMS THATS THE KIND OF MAN I AM deadly northern funk attack..SUPER RARE TOO.!!

are you attractive Tony? If so we could hook up as one of my saves would also be Bessie (its one of my funeral records too)

I would also have to save Sy Hightower - I Know You're Leaving Me (and another thats getting played as I go into the flames)

Then it'd be Softouch - After You Give Your All - I have so many memories linked with this mostly involving Gaz Kellett and leaping around like loonies...

The others are really hard to choose. Would you plump for something that you're very unlikely to find another copy of, or something that had a lot of sentiment attached? Personally I'd scrap the idea of just 5, and grab the top box which is full of nipple throbbing, damp knicker inducing tunes that give me so much pleasure when I hear them. While I'm grabbing this I'll send Michael into the cellar to haul out my big box of photos.. as I'd be as devestated to lose those as I would my vinyl.

Off to check the smoke alarm now...

Social source share

Doni Burdick and the wonderful Bari Track. This disc is the ultimate NORTHERN inst. Everyone should be made to listen to this when they are starting out on the scene.

I agree, an unbelievable record. Don't let Chalky read this though, he says instrumentals can't be soul records :yes:

Social source share

= 5th

Willie Hutch - Love Runs Out

No Other Way - the cautions

4th shing a ling - the cooperettes

3rd Heat of Stone - The Magnetics

2nd I need my Baby - Jacky Beavers

and the greatest Nortern Soul record of all time

Can't do without you - Lee Andrews and you can still purchase them for under a score.

Social source share

5 LPs next?

Great choice with the Jackey Beavers track Dave reminds me very much of the first Hitsville Weekender in Orlando.

5 LP's to save from the flames, not so easy but here goes,

1) What's going on - Marvin Gaye - Tamla Motown.

2) Extensions of a man - Donny Hathaway - Atco.

3) The show must go on - Sam Dees - Atlantic.

4) California Sunset - The Originals - Tamla Motown.

5) American Gypsy - American Gypsy - BTM.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

I'd have to rescue ,

Hi Eddie, hope you well mate,

Looks like I'd better get my fire extinguisher and get back in there to rescue Little Jerry on that lovely Spanish Picture Sleeve, top tune, always been one of faves and I totally forgot about in my original list,

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Evening Al,

5 LPs? mmmmm.....another toughie...if I HAD to grab 5 the it would be...

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On - Tamla (Always makes me smile this album, even with the nature of much of the material. It's that good).

Hesitations - Soul Superman - (Pied Pier at their height).

Spyder Turner - Stand By Me - MGM Demo - (Terra Shirma brilliance by an underated vocalist. Had he 'made' Motown he'd have been huge).

Tempests - Would You Believe - Smash - (Not a bad track on either side. Complete proof that real soul music is color blind).

Rhetta Highes - Relight My Fire - Tetragrammaton (Mike Terry's done a lot of wonderful work as we both appreciate, but for me this is his finest hour. Slick, sublime, clean arrangement, simple and that's the beauty of it).

Had to make it 6 as I realised I'd no "Best Of..." So....Chartbusters #5 :thumbsup::yes:

Social source share

for me it´s......

unbeatable on one.......JIMMY SOUL CLARK - I`LL BE YOUR CHAMPION :thumbsup:

2. JIMMY BO HORN - I CAN`T SPEAK

3. BOBBY KLINE - SAY SOMETHING NICE TO ME

4. MONTCLAIRS - HEY YOU!

5. CORNELIUS BROS & SISTER ROSE - TOO LATE TO TURN BACK NOW

(still missing one of them, but the time will come...

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

QUOTE (Alan Pollard @ Mar 9 08, 11:47 PM) post_snapback.gif5. Tower Of Power - So very hard to go - Warner Brothers (just truly awesome, from my early days as a collector).

Boba said....

In my opinion the above record is the best record mentioned in this thread so far.

Damn, you beat me to it..........what a sensational record. Bought this first time round - the trumpet solo still gives me goose bumps. Closely followed by Eddie's choice of 'I need you baby' - Arthur Alexander....and Malc's 'Make Sure'....I'll have to go away and think hard - 5 is a tough call :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

QUOTE (Alan Pollard @ Mar 9 08, 11:47 PM) post_snapback.gif5. Tower Of Power - So very hard to go - Warner Brothers (just truly awesome, from my early days as a collector).

Boba said....

In my opinion the above record is the best record mentioned in this thread so far.

Damn, you beat me to it..........what a sensational record. Bought this first time round - the trumpet solo still gives me goose bumps.

Yes Jo it really is that good.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Having read lots of posts this weekend there were lots of reminders thatmade me realise why this music we all means so much to me which prompted me into thinking that if I had to rescue 5 records from my collection before they all went up in smoke which would they be.

1. Belita Woods - I just love you - Epic (soul perfection, this track has every quality that makes me realise why this music means so much to me, if it were a £1000 instead £15 I would saving up now).

2. Marvin Gaye - What's going on - Tamla Motown (my green & white demo is probably my most prized demo in my collection next to my Stateside red & white demo of The 4 Tops of Baby I need your loving).

3. Junior Walker & The All Stars - What does it take (to win your love) - Tamla Motown (the Carlsberg version again another lovely green & white demo).

4. Betty Willis - Take my heart - Rendevous (very early haunting crossover soul music, thanks to Pat Brady for putting me onto this many years ago).

Regards

Alan

George Pepp

Social source share

Guest Bogue

You Know what, I got back into Spellbinders - Help Me in a big way in the last month or so...it was Adey C playing it at the last 100 club I went to really, but what a track, STILL sounds Brilliant, unlike things like Idle Few which sound old and limp top my ears...IMO of course

Jaibi - What Good am I

Dells - make Sure

Troy Dodds - Try my Love

Think it must also be the beautiful Looking Issue on this one,That El-Camino Mountain range and the time when guys like June Jackson and Troy Dodds were making records on the Coast hold something of a mystical calling for me Laughs, I just love that whole coastline up to Seattle and beyond...Magical music...

Mal.C.

:g: One record i could never tire of listening too no matter how many times you played it !! The start is absolutly top notch, possibly the alltime best ever intro !

'Marie Knight - That's no way to treat a girl' is another i never tire of & is my all time favourite !

Usually the beat ballads that make the neck tingle though & so the other three would be (in no particular order)

'Ray Pollard - It's A Sad Thing'

'Kenny Carter - I've Got To Find Her'

& one already mentioned, 'The Intentions - Don't Forget That I Love You'

:no: Oh & , 'The Falcons - (i'm a fool) I Must Love You'

& 'Dee Dee Warwick - When Love Slips Away'

& 'Al Kent - The Way You Been Acting Lately'

:g: & 'Tommy Tate - I'm Taking On Pain'

& 'Garnet Mimms - It Was easier To Hurt her'

& 'Marlena Shaw - Looking through The Eyes Of Love'

& another real neck tingler, 'Willie Wade - Come Into My World', that one gets me every time !!!!

Just 5 is impossible !!!!!!!

Social source share

Frederick Hymes III "time ain't gonna do me no favour" fab vegas...so many memory on my last love story :no:(

Janice Christian "just a bad thing" swann soul perfection

T.s.u Tornadoes "got to get through to you" atlantic

Lee "shot" Williams "it ain't me" united artist

Manhattans "I can't stand for you to leave me" Deluxe

lp

Martha Reeves & the Vandellas "easily persuaded"

The Hesitations "soul superman"

Joe Lucien "Rashida"

Gil scott Heron "winter in america"

Della Reese "I Gotta Be Me ... This Trip Out"

Social source share

are you attractive Tony? If so we could hook up as one of my saves would also be Bessie (its one of my funeral records too)

I would also have to save Sy Hightower - I Know You're Leaving Me (and another thats getting played as I go into the flames)

i think so!!! i also believe you questioned me about matching shoes and jacket at thorne in october/november last year...or i could be mistaken....

with you on the sy hightower too..flip side also good wild love..ohherr missus :(

Social source share

i think so!!! i also believe you questioned me about matching shoes and jacket at thorne in october/november last year...or i could be mistaken....

with you on the sy hightower too..flip side also good wild love..ohherr missus :thumbsup:

is that you...

no-one with any sense ever tells me there name laugh.gif

I will add you to my list of men whose record collections, I mean men that are really rather handsome that I want to run off with :thumbup:

see you soon....

Social source share

This really is a tough call to name your top five spine-tinglers but here goes.

1 IF YOU MUST GO - Eddie Parker

2 AFTER ALL - Sam Dees

3 YOU'VE BEEN CHEATIN' - The Impressions

4 NEVER LET A DAY GO BY - Tessie Hill

5 EPITOME OF SOUND - You Don't Love Me

Would be hard pressed to list my all time favourites at any given time but ones above I never tire of hearing so they would by essential if only got five to pick, but as I said soooooooooooooo many to choose. Also got to agree with Chalky instrumentals aint soul. Unless you have a vocal on the track then it just don't do it for me.

best fraser

fdsoul6345789

Social source share

I said: "Girl, I love you", "Please take a chance on me" she said:"Baby, Baby", "that´s alright", but you´re just "The Drifter" so leave me alone!!

1. sinceres

2.arabians

3.crampton sisters

4.ed crook

5.ray pollard

so good these tunes, when i have the sunday-blues, i just need to listen to these and life is good again!

cheers and amen

Social source share

Not easy:

Homer Banks - Sweetie Pie (Genie)

Chances - A Better Day Is Coming (Finch) (I know, it`s more Gospel then Soul and the Chances /Five Chances can`t play or sing...but this record makes my day more than once)

Ben Monroe - Broken Home (Dakar)

Emmitt Long - Call Me (Donoyia)

And Job Opening or Soul Searcher...I don`t know

Social source share

I would rescue :

Gwen owens-wanted and needed

Frank Beverley-because of my heart

Harvey and the jokers-soul sound

Venitia wilson-this time i'm loving you

Gene mcdaniels-walk with a winner

Hairs on my neck,goosebumps etc every time :D:ohmy: xxxxxxx

Social source share

All mid tempo things mine ...

Monique - if you love me (Maurci)

Imperial Cs - someone tell her (Phil La)

Betty Turner - tell yourself a lie (Crescent)

Ty Karim - all at once (Senator)

Bootleggers - don't count on tomorrow (Discovery)

Oh aye, Clyde Mcphatter and Marvin 'what's going on' LPs

Great thread btw :wicked:

Phil

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Bettye Lavette - Let Me Down Easy - Calla - Passion, pain, voice, emotion this record is the full package for me.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Agree on that Mark. She was singing 'Let me down easy' when I took this photo thumbup.gif

CIMG2084.jpg

Social source share

depending on my mood this could change ,but for now...the slow stuff...

EDDIE PARKER - CRYING CLOWN -GOOGA MOOGA

MARVIN GAYE - WHATS GOING ON - TAMLA M DJ

MINNIE RIPERTON - LOVING YOU - EPIC

EMOTIONS - LOVE OF A GIRL - VARDAN

INTENTIONS - DON'T FORGET THAT I LOVE YOU - PHILLIPS.

Social source share

I'd have to rescue ,

You never let me down mate, as always top choices. Picked up the Jimmy holiday for a fiver recently.

The album is great as well. You know how much i love James Carr, lucky to see him live twice.

Arthur Alexander played at Randy Couzens funeral,took what was already an amazing record to another level.

Hope to see you soon mate

Mark

Social source share

Guest shaun evans

You never let me down mate, as always top choices. Picked up the Jimmy holiday for a fiver recently.

The album is great as well. You know how much i love James Carr, lucky to see him live twice.

Arthur Alexander played at Randy Couzens funeral,took what was already an amazing record to another level.

Hope to see you soon mate

Mark

THE DELLS BRING BACK THE LOVE

TRUTH COME BACK HOME (ouch) super deep soul

CHAREN COTTON A LITTLE BIT MORE LOVE (so sweet on the ear)

LEW KIRTON COME ON WITH IT

THE FOUR TRACKS "CHARADE" (just pure class)

Social source share

1. Belita Woods - I just love you

2. Marvin Gaye - What's going on

3. Junior Walker & The All Stars - What does it take (to win your love)

4. Betty Willis - Take my heart - Rendevous

5. Tower Of Power - So very hard to go - Warner Brothers

Regards

Alan

Buy this is one of those very tough questions. But he goes :

1. Christine Cooper - heartaches away my boy - Parkway

2. Bobby Reed - I'll find a way - Loma

3. Spellbinders - Help me - Columbia

4. Elgins - Heaven must have sent you - VIP

5. Velvelettes - Lonely, lonely girl am I - VIP

I've probably forgotten about 200 more or so but having this gun put to my head

these are ones I'd run thru a fire to get. wink.gif

Chris L

Social source share

Buy this is one of those very tough questions. But he goes :

1. Christine Cooper - heartaches away my boy - Parkway

2. Bobby Reed - I'll find a way - Loma

3. Spellbinders - Help me - Columbia

4. Elgins - Heaven must have sent you - VIP

5. Velvelettes - Lonely, lonely girl am I - VIP

I've probably forgotten about 200 more or so but having this gun put to my head

these are ones I'd run thru a fire to get. wink.gif

Chris L

Now if you'd asked "top 5 intros" that make your dildo start vibrating they would be (of course excluding Billy Butler - Right Track there's probably no better intro anywhere in the whole wide world)

Shirley & Shirelles - Look what you've done to my heart

James Bounty - Prove yourself a lady

The Magnificents - My heart is calling

Sweet Things - I'm in a world of trouble

Sam & Kitty - I've got something good.

Or 5 best instrumental breaks

Chalfontes - He loves me

Junior walker - Road runner

Velvelettes - Lonely, lonely girl am I

George Carrow - Angel baby

Enchanters - I'm in love with your daughter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:P They all make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up even after all these years :lol:

my

Social source share

:P They all make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up even after all these years :lol:

my favourite five northern soul records of all time are:

this gets to me-pookie hudson

i'm in love-len barry

i can't take no more-ted wilson

do what i want-cavaliers

baby what i mean-the drifters

KEEP THE FAITH SOULIES

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!