Guest Gogs

• Replies 44
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest ScooterNik

Surely no one is actually considering playing this out are they? :thumbup: Or are they already?

Original 7" vinyl...... sounds like the marketing division are on the ball at EMI or wherever?

Social source share

I'm not judgin' it but it got played on Friday at Denton and filled the floor :unsure:

i bought a copy but thought i might wait 10 years or so to play it out, may just change my mind :huh:

Social source share

Guest edsuede

have you seen this :unsure:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUFFY-mercy-7-Vinyl-...1QQcmdZViewItem

there are at least 3 buy it now copies on at £1.75

:huh: Wonder why the bidders didn't just order it from their local record shop like I did - £2.99 and came in on the day of release. Perhaps the bidders don't have a local record shop that can get vinyl - certainly (in my experience anyway) alot of the national chains like HMV won't even order vinyl for you now!

When I collected my copy last week I did get a buzz buying a brand new chart 45 in the 21st century! Never expected to be doing that! :lol:

Social source share

Guest Rob Glover

I'm not judgin' it but it got played on Friday at Denton and filled the floor :wicked:

We've have been playing it @ The Buzz for the past 2 months (got a nice promo 7" sent us) and it fills the floor everytime.

Still the average age of the crowd is somewhat younger than most events I admit.

Don't knock it just because it's new and not recorded in a chicken shack back in 67'

n661203572_665973_9406.jpg

The Buzz Feb 2008

Social source share

have you seen this :wicked:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUFFY-mercy-7-Vinyl-...1QQcmdZViewItem

there are at least 3 buy it now copies on at £1.75

There's a huge business in supplying stuff that some of us can easily get to others who cannot get stuff quite so easily. Plenty of people now live in towns with no record shops and many shops no longer stock vinyl so it seems like a good idea to me.

Also, we're now living in an age when it costs more to go to the shops with petrol, parking, queues, traffic violations, parking enforcement plus the time, so for many people it makes more sense to just stay at home and get the stuff delivered to their door. Less stress all round.

Best,

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Guest Rob Glover

There's a huge business in supplying stuff that some of us can easily get to others who cannot get stuff quite so easily. Plenty of people now live in towns with no record shops and many shops no longer stock vinyl so it seems like a good idea to me.

Also, we're now living in an age when it costs more to go to the shops with petrol, parking, queues, traffic violations, parking enforcement plus the time, so for many people it makes more sense to just stay at home and get the stuff delivered to their door. Less stress all round.

Best,

Ian D :lol:

Absolutly righ there Ian, plus the demise of the independant/second hand record shop.

Gone are the days of browsing and picking up something you werent expecting and finding that something extra special :wicked:

Social source share

Best,

Ian D :wicked:

totally agree with you but the point i was trying to make was why pay £10.50 when other sellers had it a lot cheaper or are the days of "shopping around" a thing of the past.

Social source share

Was told over the weekend that it also got a play at a Notts 1 or 2 weeks back ohmy.gif ....

Some people :lol: ....

But apart from the buyers what about these "players" :thumbup:laugh.gif ....

maybe we should name and shame laugh.gif

Social source share

wasnt there but understand from a mate it filled the floor at a night in northampton too...

as for ebay buyers being thick often see new bootlegs going for more than dealers are selling them....also samantha jones pic sleeve was 20 odd last week when jm has it for about 15 i think...

Social source share

Don't knock it just because it's new and not recorded in a chicken shack back in 67'

The Buzz Feb 2008

because it's not new and recorded in a chicken shack is why I got into Soul and Northern Soul not records that are number one in the pop charts....two or three venues on here I won't be going to in the near future :thumbsup:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

because it's not new and recorded in a chicken shack is why I got into Soul and Northern Soul not records that are number one in the pop charts....two or three venues on here I won't be going to in the near future :thumbsup:

It was new when I first heard it in 1966 and it got to number one in the pop charts and it's probably why I got into soul?

Four Tops - Reach out I'll be there

but I'm still not judgin'

I'm gone, man, solid gone."

Social source share

Was told over the weekend that it also got a play at a Notts 1 or 2 weeks back :) ....

Some people no.gif ....

But apart from the buyers what about these "players" :thumbsup::lol: ....

thank god we were not on ,1 or 2 weeks back Mark biggrin.gif .You should know Notts is the hotbed for hotboxing,and i thought Notts would get the blame for something,not been blamed for at least........oooh...3 weeks :) .

See you soon MARK,BUT WON'T BE BRINGING DUFFY.(IS AMY OK THO'? :ohmy: )

Social source share

Guest woznotwos
:ohmy: ......theres another good tune out aswell, bit harder to get hands on but check out gabriella cilmi , sweet about me..........i prefer this one to the duffy track :thumbsup: .........................i'll get mi coat
Social source share

It was new when I first heard it in 1966 and it got to number one in the pop charts and it's probably why I got into soul?

I'm gone, man, solid gone." couldent agree more mate i first heard aretha franklin back in 69 or somthing like that with loads more top soul singers that charted they where new then or new to me aniway, if a record sounds good on its own merits i couldent give a monkeys that its not been discoverd by some tw,, trying to make a fortune out of it put it this way if amy winehouse had been around in 1967 making exactly the same records as she is now every bugger would be dancing to them now on this scene

Social source share

I'm gone, man, solid gone."

If I wanted to hear pop records like D*ffy I'd go to local night club. If I wanted to hear Reach Out I'll Be There (again middle of the road pop) I'd listen to radio 2!!!

There are 100's of great real soul and northern soul records from the 60's to the present day that many ignore for the likes of pop crap like Duffy :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I have a copy but won't play it out and if you have to pay more on ebay for one why if you know your local store can get it cheaper.

HMV here in Peterborough stock all new releases on vinyl usually £1.99 and have some back stock copies of older songs ie 6 months old etc. Not sure how it is for ordering vinyl though

Social source share

If I wanted to hear pop records like D*ffy I'd go to local night club. If I wanted to hear Reach Out I'll Be There (again middle of the road pop) I'd listen to radio 2!!!

There are 100's of great real soul and northern soul records from the 60's to the present day that many ignore for the likes of pop crap like Duffy :thumbsup:

what do yer do if yer want to see them dig um up ?? the other guy was around in the 60s and so was i mate , i seen james brown in 74 he was never out of the charts back then suppose he aint er? real soul in your book? soul music covers hell of a lot of music a lot of it charted as it dose now, tons of it didant but people started to like it twenty years later, your mising the point mate, i also seen jackie wilson j walker edwin star and about twenty others who all charted back then so what are they then pop singers or soul singers ? give me a brake :thumbup: i would bet you a box of records that if that duffy track had been made back in 1975 ther is a good chance it would be being played at more well known venues now , all i got to say is( spencer davis) do i need to say more ,ther is tons of music played at northern soul venues that aint but fits in

Edited by mepaul50
Social source share

what do yer do if yer want to see them dig um up ?? the other guy was around in the 60s and so was i mate , i seen james brown in 74 he was never out of the charts back then suppose he aint er? real soul in your book? soul music covers hell of a lot of music a lot of it charted as it dose now, tons of it didant but people started to like it twenty years later, your mising the point mate, i also seen jackie wilson j walker edwin star and about twenty others who all charted back then so what are they then pop singers or soul singers ? give me a brake :thumbsup: i would bet you a box of records that if that duffy track had been made back in 1975 ther is a good chance it would be being played at more well known venues now , all i got to say is( spencer davis) do i need to say more ,ther is tons of music played at northern soul venues that aint but fits in

I don't think I am missing the point, not my point anyway you and others are IMHO by resorting to chart records that have absolutely sod all to do with northern soul apart from the use of dancers and a dj to warm thew crowds up when there are loads of good recortds totally ignored from the 60's to the present day that should be played instead of resorting to chart dross.

Very few James B records I listen to and I don't know when Spencer Davis was last played at a Northern venue and to be honest it shouldn't be, it's not what I want to hear anyway.

And Duffy wasn't recorded in 1975 so it's all hypothetical really. Said what I want to say, this is just going round in circles.

Social source share

what do yer do if yer want to see them dig um up ?? the other guy was around in the 60s and so was i mate , i seen james brown in 74 he was never out of the charts back then suppose he aint er? real soul in your book? soul music covers hell of a lot of music a lot of it charted as it dose now, tons of it didant but people started to like it twenty years later, your mising the point mate, i also seen jackie wilson j walker edwin star and about twenty others who all charted back then so what are they then pop singers or soul singers ? give me a brake :lol: i would bet you a box of records that if that duffy track had been made back in 1975 ther is a good chance it would be being played at more well known venues now , all i got to say is( spencer davis) do i need to say more ,ther is tons of music played at northern soul venues that aint but fits in

Are you really trying to compare Duffy with James Brown, Jr. Walker, Edwin Starr and Jackie Wilson ?...Get real. :P:D

Duffy is a good Lulu sound-alike with a nice enough soul tinged pop track - but that's all - let's get things in perspective.

Social source share

on a serious note there are some great new records that are played out.

One is - Tuomo , Dont take it to hard. Came out last year but absolutely brilliant.

If your basing it on that its in the chartsd then we shouldnt play most motown records or Landslide or many others including b-sides of major hits :P

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

There is no connection to Shakin Stevens with Duffy. it's rumours. maybe they are friends or has some connection she goes out with a family member but they are not related.

Duffy is pop music and why should we put her in the same line as someone like James Brown, Jackie Wilson and so on who are soul singers. It not matter weather if they have had charted hits before and sometimes appeal to a mass audience they are still soul singers

Social source share

I don't think I am missing the point, not my point anyway you and others are IMHO by resorting to chart records that have absolutely sod all to do with northern soul apart from the use of dancers and a dj to warm thew crowds up when there are loads of good recortds totally ignored from the 60's to the present day that should be played instead of resorting to chart dross.

Very few James B records I listen to and I don't know when Spencer Davis was last played at a Northern venue and to be honest it shouldn't be, it's not what I want to hear anyway.

And Duffy wasn't recorded in 1975 so it's all hypothetical really. Said what I want to say, this is just going round in circles.

Chalky i was sure it was you i seen dancing to Duffy ? [dont tell me theres two of you about ] :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert