Where Are They

Guest gordon russell

Guest gordon russell

I would like to ask a question. Before I do however,I would ask that any promoters venues mentioned,that they don't get offended please.

We all are familliar with the term CHIN STROKER we know what it means and what it conjurs up,half filled venues with trainspotty types sat around talking about records and labels and who sung this or wrote that ect ect.The dance floors at these events being empty. I myself have no time for the term,some folk no nothing about the music,some folk do,thats the way of things and it matters not a jot. I have recently been accused in a roundabout way of attending such events,by a fella from liecs,that it absolutely fine and dandy......water off a ducks back to me.

My question is to all you nice people out there is......where are these places and why do you think they are chin stroking venues. I will post up my thoughts a bit later. please try and not be personal on this one ....just where and why :D

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I would like to ask a question. Before I do however,I would ask that any promoters venues mentioned,that they don't get offended please.

We all are familliar with the term CHIN STROKER we know what it means and what it conjurs up,half filled venues with trainspotty types sat around talking about records and labels and who sung this or wrote that ect ect.The dance floors at these events being empty. I myself have no time for the term,some folk no nothing about the music,some folk do,thats the way of things and it matters not a jot. I have recently been accused in a roundabout way of attending such events,by a fella from liecs,that it absolutely fine and dandy......water off a ducks back to me.

My question is to all you nice people out there is......where are these places and why do you think they are chin stroking venues. I will post up my thoughts a bit later. please try and not be personal on this one ....just where and why :D

CUBICLE 2, MENS TOILET, SATURDAY NIGHT, LIFELINE WEEKENDER, BUT IT'S TECHICALLY CHIN WIPING RATHER THAN STROKING..... :ohmy::lol:

Edited by hootenannie
Social source share

your'e right Terry,matters not a jot.

Don't think you can ACCUSE anyone of attending a soul nite tho', be it chin stroker or top 500 nite.

btw,chinstroker venues are a state of mind,a particular moment in time known only to the 'stroker.Get worried when they start stroking each others chins.

Social source share

I think I know where the comment was made recently, and it seems to me that the enlightened message was that if a record's not Top 500 then it's for chin strokers, so that would apply to everyone that's been to any venue with a decent music policy since Wigan closed..... :lol::D:(:lol: ...there's a lot of us out there :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

your'e right Terry,matters not a jot.

Don't think you can ACCUSE anyone of attending a soul nite tho', be it chin stroker or top 500 nite.

btw,chinstroker venues are a state of mind,a particular moment in time known only to the 'stroker.Get worried when they start stroking each others chins.

:ohmy: lol ...just wanted to know where the chin strokers are going too .....thanks for the record mate ..first class :D

Social source share

I think I know where the comment was made recently, and it seems to me that the enlightened message was that if a record's not Top 500 then it's for chin strokers, so that would apply to everyone that's been to any venue with a decent music policy since Wigan closed..... :ohmy::lol::D:( ...there's a lot of us out there :D

Count me in then Cliff :lol::D:(

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

has someone got a arsestroke emoticon my farmer giles are all over the place today.

Dkof is a chin stoking venue, isn't it? :D

no it's not .....just looks like the people have had a stroke lots of laughs just joking

Social source share

My question is to all you nice people out there is......where are these places and why do you think they are chin stroking venues. I will post up my thoughts a bit later. please try and not be personal on this one ....just where and why :unsure:

:Dfrom leic , same as me then, tell me is name , and ill tell him off for you....... Which events do you attend then mate.. and are the floors FULL ?? um.......... martyn

Social source share

There's a club I attend in Tokyo, which runs every other month...it is the ultimate chin-strokers / anoraks / collectors meet up point, with NO dancefloor, naturally!

The decks have a camera directed at them, so we can then look at the big flat-screen TV above the bar and feverishly scratch our chins as we pass comment on the disc being played (yes someone redirects the camera from deck to deck!). If you get bored looking at that, you can always look at the autographed James Carr LP framed up on the wall, for he got to said event once upon a time too (he is a BIG hero over these parts.)

There is also a Vestex portable on one of the tables, for the use of disc sales'n'swaps...and yes someone will have a well-thumbed price guide with them for our amusement too!

Tunes played are right across the board from early 6Ts through to 80's Soul...with an emphasis on male vocal stuff too. One minute you'll hear Mellow Madeness, the next Buddy Smith, all received well with the occasional round of applause from the deck-spotters, who have been known to later dance around the venue in various styles as the alcohol takes effect!

The chairs are soft and comfortable, there is ample light, cheap beer and seldom a female in sight...almost like a gentlemen's club (without any snotty waiters though, mind!). May I also point out that there is also curry and pizza on the menu, and the entrance fee includes your first drink...and you can smoke in the venue too!

Sigh...I believe I have achieved nirvana.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

There's a club I :yes: attend in Tokyo, which runs every other month...it is the ultimate chin-strokers / anoraks / collectors meet up point, ...... smile.gif You will aways get people of all types, inc.. the above mentioned, + the ones who want to have a dance, where its whats in the grooves that count.... unsure.gif Each to is own really.... But i feel you need people up on the floor to have a good nite out... not just chillin out ? Unless like above they have no Dancefloor.... Room for both.. But for people to traval a fair way , etc. a dancing event is needed.... :D for me defo ... as iv always loved the DANCING , = FEELIN ONE GETS FROM THE MUSIC, WHILE ON THE FLOOR, + MEETING PEOPLE , AT the same time.... etc. you can always chin stroke it , when the old knees give in, ha. Not that long for me to go then.. ha. cheers all . martyn

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

There's a club I attend in Tokyo, which runs every other month...it is the ultimate chin-strokers / anoraks / collectors meet up point, with NO dancefloor, naturally!

The decks have a camera directed at them, so we can then look at the big flat-screen TV above the bar and feverishly scratch our chins as we pass comment on the disc being played (yes someone redirects the camera from deck to deck!). If you get bored looking at that, you can always look at the autographed James Carr LP framed up on the wall, for he got to said event once upon a time too (he is a BIG hero over these parts.)

There is also a Vestex portable on one of the tables, for the use of disc sales'n'swaps...and yes someone will have a well-thumbed price guide with them for our amusement too!

Tunes played are right across the board from early 6Ts through to 80's Soul...with an emphasis on male vocal stuff too. One minute you'll hear Mellow Madeness, the next Buddy Smith, all received well with the occasional round of applause from the deck-spotters, who have been known to later dance around the venue in various styles as the alcohol takes effect!

The chairs are soft and comfortable, there is ample light, cheap beer and seldom a female in sight...almost like a gentlemen's club (without any snotty waiters though, mind!). May I also point out that there is also curry and pizza on the menu, and the entrance fee includes your first drink...and you can smoke in the venue too!

Sigh...I believe I have achieved nirvana.

:yes:

Can I come and join you..... :lol:

Sounds like 'These Old Getas'......ideal :shades:

geta0.gif

Social source share

There did seem to be a large contingent of knowledgeable people ( chin strokers) at the Lifeline All-niter , Skegness Upfront weekender and the sadly missed Without Boundaries Burton All-dayers

:lol::(

Simon your always stroking your chin ,more so with that beard (grooming it) :lol:

Bum Scratcher Toby.

Social source share

There did seem to be a large contingent of knowledgeable people ( chin strokers) at the Lifeline All-niter , Skegness Upfront weekender and the sadly missed Without Boundaries Burton All-dayers

:thumbup::thumbup:

smile.gifsimon, shame they had to move from the Hardings arms , in the 1st place , much better floor , than burton .... cheers mate. im no chin stroker , he. too much time on the dance floor, cu

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert