Rex Garvin

Guest andyrattigan

Guest andyrattigan

I am after Rex Garvin's- "You dont need no help". Anyone know how much it goes for?

Also I recently bought a copy of "I gotta go now- up on the floor" on Like for £20. However there are two different label designs on this Like release. Does anyone know if there were boots of this track. Am pretty sure I've got an original but I always get a bit worried if I see a different label design after I've bought a supposed original.

The label I have is dark green with Like printed at 12 o clock on the label. Ive seen other releases with "distributed by Atlantic records..." directly under the Like logo, where as on my record this is in small print on the bottom of the label.

Are these just different label designs as is sometimes common or are there boots of "I gotta go now"?

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I am after Rex Garvin's- "You dont need no help". Anyone know how much it goes for?

Not many original copies of this 45 comes up for sale these days.

Have seen it sell for £40-£60, but can easily sell for more as it is very in-demand.

The bootleg is pressed on styrene and the original is pressed on vinyl.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Seen it up as high as £75 on ebay though that was a while back. From memory the boots are styrene and sound absolutely sh*te so be careful!

Social source share

Have seen it sell for £40-£60, but can easily sell for more as it is very in-demand.

And there was hundreds back then, another one thats dissapeared into collections methinks :D

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Would agree with our learned colleague,s and settle on about £50--£75(if you can find one for sale)

T.C. the Tiger.

Social source share

Anyone know if "I gotta go now" was booted and how to spot one?

I'm not 100% sure, but I seriously don't think so. It must've sold pretty good at the time of release and there are many different label variations of it on both styrene and vinyl. Plus it got a UK Atlantic release.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Don`t think its been booted infact pretty sure it hasn`t, probably wrong though :D

Thanks Harry! Its not that often you get such clear info on here :D:lol:

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Never Booted, Andy.

Never been popular enough.

Great Flipside... Believe It Or Not!

Cant believe its never been that popular. Its an absolute classy stomper!

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Seen it up as high as £75 on ebay though that was a while back. From memory the boots are styrene and sound absolutely sh*te so be careful!

Would agree with our learned colleague,s and settle on about £50--£75(if you can find one for sale)

T.C. the Tiger.

:lol: Bloomin eck ! When did this get popular again then ? Ok like but i thought it was a £5 - £10 cheapie !

Social source share

Cant believe its never been that popular. Its an absolute classy stomper!

It had a UK Red Atlantic release, Andy, but was never popular.

I picked up my UK copy early 70's and always liked both sides, but it was really a 'collectors' obscurity rather than a popular club tune.

Sean

Social source share

It had a UK Red Atlantic release, Andy, but was never popular.

I picked up my UK copy early 70's and always liked both sides, but it was really a 'collectors' obscurity rather than a popular club tune.

Sean

Yeah we tried to get it going again in Kent in the late 70's - it bombed, no one liked it.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Yeah we tried to get it going again in Kent in the late 70's - it bombed, no one liked it.

I reckon given the right floor and crowd and it could go big. When I bought this tune in a shop in London I asked to play it on the souns system to hear the quality. The whole shop were tapping away to it and lots of folk were up asking about it.

IMO its very overlooked as is the wonderful Sugar Pie deSanto's- GO GO POWER that I just got off Mark Bicknell. A track I've been after for a long time. A perfect blend of pounding 6ts R&B and Uptempo Soul.

So much overlooked Soul out there from all genres.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Russ Smith

It's 'discovery' by a younger set of collectors, totally unaware of it's history no doubt sparked it off.

Great 45, sounds spot on for todays scene with its latin over tones..

Got a few spins at Keb Darge's Deep Funk nights a while back.

Also check the modern version by the Dynamos "You can do it by yourself" which also had plays..

Rex Garvins' "Strange happenings" also worth a listen...... Its bonkers barmy !

Social source share

Great 45, sounds spot on for todays scene with its latin over tones..

Got a few spins at Keb Darge's Deep Funk nights a while back.

Also check the modern version by the Dynamos "You can do it by yourself" which also had plays..

Rex Garvins' "Strange happenings" also worth a listen...... Its bonkers barmy !

Actually played the Dynamo's version at our recent Modernism 70's night & it seemed to generate quite a bit of interest (unusual for ow't I play :lol: ).

Will post it up in a bit.

Social source share

Guest Demotron

Hi Sebastian and Jason! How do you figure that the styrene pressing is a bootleg and not just a second pressing? When was it made? Is it a US or UK boot? Why would anyone make a bootleg on that crap material anyway? I thought that styrene disappeared all together sometime in the early 80's. Also, I had the idea that there are no UK made styrene recods.

I bought the styrene from this site a few years ago. I have to admit it sounds a bit crap, but on a good system it's playable. I've been playing it anyways now and then, but I would just like to hear a clarification about the bootleg thing. Thanks!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert