Opinions, Opinions

Jaco

There just that, aren't they?

It seems that every day on here, somebody gets upset about somebody's view about some aspect of the scene, whether it be a particular sound, a live performance, a book written about the scene etc, etc.

Why is it that if somebody doesn't like what you like, it's taken as if it's a personal criticism of you.

I personally don't give a toss if I like something and somebody comes on telling me I'm wrong, or that the thing I like is a pile of sh*t.

What difference does it make and why should I believe that somebody's alternative opinion is somehow counter productive.

Those that advocate the "if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say it" policy shouldn't post topics or take part within the general rules of the forum if they are upset about alternative views.

Personal attacks are obviously unacceptable, in the majority of cases, but I relish a bit of good humoured banter and honest opinions, it's what makes this forum, in particular, tick.

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

:thumbup::thumbup::D:D:D:yes::no:

It seems that every day on here, somebody gets upset about somebody's view about some aspect of the scene, whether it be a particular sound, a live performance, a book written about the scene etc, etc.

Why is it that if somebody doesn't like what you like, it's taken as if it's a personal criticism of you.

I personally don't give a toss if I like something and somebody comes on telling me I'm wrong, or that the thing I like is a pile of sh*t.

What difference does it make and why should I believe that somebody's alternative opinion is somehow counter productive.

Those that advocate the "if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say it" policy shouldn't post topics or take part within the general rules of the forum if they are upset about alternative views.

Personal attacks are obviously unacceptable, in the majority of cases, but I relish a bit of good humoured banter and honest opinions, it's what makes this forum, in particular, tick.

Social source share

Spot on Jaco! :thumbup:

Social source share

Thats just your opinion Jock :thumbup:

Salmon

Social source share

Hi Jaco,

Maybe some folks get a bit 'narky' on here during the week due to years and years of constant sleep devrivation at weekends!. :thumbup::thumbup:

This week might feel worse for it because if other people feel anything like I do, they'll still be getting over the weekender. :D

Jayne.x. (lightweight)

Social source share

Hi Jaco,

Maybe some folks get a bit 'narky' on here during the week due to years and years of constant sleep devrivation at weekends!. :D:thumbup:

This week might feel worse for it because if other people feel anything like I do, they'll still be getting over the weekender. :D

Jayne.x. (lightweight)

y'see - I can't even spell deprivation! :thumbup:

Jayne.ZZZzzzzzz

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Funny aint it but my first post on this forum was a negative review of a nite I attended and I couldn't believe the back lash I got from it.

I thought this forum was full of sycophants and back slappers and so many people told me "if you aint got anyfin nice to say don't say nuffink at all"

Ok in hindsight my post was not very constructive and a bit sarcastic but I still stand by the sentiment.

Refreshingly I have noticed that there are more balanced reviews popping their heads above the parapet these days and people seem to be able to give both negative and positive feed back.

Like someone said in another thread, we can only make an informed judgement if we hear differing point of views.

The personal insults get a bit much sometimes and I do think people would not be so 'brave' if having face 2 face conversations. But in general I think that honest articulate and constructive feedback can only be a good thing.

One thing that really gets my goat is when people slag off do's they do not attend or just hate certain venues or promoters out of principle.

I will say and have always said that some people can get away with more on here than others and the swearing has got a bit much....not that it offends me at all but in the past year the 'rules' on swearing have seemed to become more relaxed imo.

We are all passionate about our friends our music and our politics so its hard to hear negative things about them without jumping to their defence but if we can keep it nice where possible I think differing opinions open our minds, make us think and make the world go round.

Where it gets a bit messy is when people post things in order to sabotage rival do's etc but hopefully these can be picked up and stamped out quickly.

All the above is just my opinion of course............

Helen

XXXX

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

BTW modern IS disco sh**e ....and thats a FACT not an Opinion!!!!!

lololol

:thumbup:

only a joke so don't start..........

Social source share

lololol

:D

Disco is over 30 years old. Modern means recent. Be more specific, dont generalise, and keep your opinions to yourself.............Just my opinion and its a good job everybody has one in my opinion, but hey thats just my opinion again. Its never ending this noinipo malarky.

Ed

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

lololol

:D:lol:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

todays society is all about conformity and opinions are only allowed if you conform to the "in vogue" views of the day and if you differ from that you get criticised from the yoghurt knitters .

you're told what car to drive , what causes to support , what food to eat (or more importantly not to eat) and in this sanitised western world the most important thing you have is your independant opinion so for god's sake express it , good or bad and never be afraid of upsetting people as you can't be responsible for their weaknesses

Social source share

Guest Carrie Mehome

Must admit I had some negative feedback about a do recently BUT I really couldn't be bothered to post anything about it. It depends how I feel at the time I guess, as long as it's constructive criticism and light-hearted banter and not too close to the bone then an opinion is a valid opinion.

Funny aint it but my first post on this forum was a negative review of a nite I attended and I couldn't believe the back lash I got from it.

Helen

XXXX

Social source share

todays society is all about conformity and opinions are only allowed if you conform to the "in vogue" views of the day and if you differ from that you get criticised from the yoghurt knitters .

you're told what car to drive , what causes to support , what food to eat (or more importantly not to eat) and in this sanitised western world the most important thing you have is your independant opinion so for god's sake express it , good or bad and never be afraid of upsetting people as you can't be responsible for their weaknesses

:D - Totally agree!.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

I thought this forum was full of sycophants and back slappers and so many people told me "if you aint got anyfin nice to say don't say nuffink at all"

Ok in hindsight my post was not very constructive and a bit sarcastic but I still stand by the sentiment.

Refreshingly I have noticed that there are more balanced reviews popping their heads above the parapet these days and people seem to be able to give both negative and positive feed back.

Like someone said in another thread, we can only make an informed judgement if we hear differing point of views.

The personal insults get a bit much sometimes and I do think people would not be so 'brave' if having face 2 face conversations. But in general I think that honest articulate and constructive feedback can only be a good thing.

One thing that really gets my goat is when people slag off do's they do not attend or just hate certain venues or promoters out of principle.

I will say and have always said that some people can get away with more on here than others and the swearing has got a bit much....not that it offends me at all but in the past year the 'rules' on swearing have seemed to become more relaxed imo.

We are all passionate about our friends our music and our politics so its hard to hear negative things about them without jumping to their defence but if we can keep it nice where possible I think differing opinions open our minds, make us think and make the world go round.

Where it gets a bit messy is when people post things in order to sabotage rival do's etc but hopefully these can be picked up and stamped out quickly.

All the above is just my opinion of course............

Helen

XXXX

got to agree as a punter who travels to various venues,an pays good money to attend said venues ,sometimes feel that we are of no importance.a good deal of this site is taken up by djs and promoters,who use it to further there interests. maybe they should be stopped from using this forum .well thats my opinion n opinions are like ar*soles ,everybodies got one. :thumbsup:

Edited by barney
Social source share

Guest Trevski

got to agree as a punter who travels to various venues,an pays good money to attend said venues ,sometimes feel that we are of no importance.a good deal of this site is taken up by djs and promoters,who use it to further there interests. maybe they should be stopped from using this forum .well thats my opinion n opinions are like ar*soles ,everybodies got one. :ohmy:

From someone who has been a member of this site for a few months,talking about members who have been on here for years, I think this is a rather extreme comment, to say the least. Just my opinion, of course! :D

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

got to agree as a punter who travels to various venues,an pays good money to attend said venues ,sometimes feel that we are of no importance.a good deal of this site is taken up by djs and promoters,who use it to further there interests. maybe they should be stopped from using this forum .well thats my opinion n opinions are like ar*soles ,everybodies got one. :thumbup:

I dont think thats wot i sed....

I love the banter between the DJs n promoters in the events talk threads and surely for the most part the promoters and dj's interests are the same as the punters to give ppl a good nite out so they come back n tell their friends.

i would like to see more honest feedback from punters in the lookbacks thread, constructive comments on their experiences of the nite and i think playlists also help ppl decide if the nite is for them in the future.

I wouldnt like to see any true soul fans baned from this site, freedom of speech within the realms of decency should apply.

Estate agent speak will always exist and the words 'Across the board' used to fill me with dread but i have attended nites then read the lookbacks and wondered if i was at the same do!!

All comment generates discussion and discussion generates thought so no ones opinion can be a bad thing in the end

Helen

XXXX

Social source share

ok the rant about dj,s n promoters was tongue in cheek hence the smilie,..bin waitin for the bin on here for years , how dare you., reply .look mate only just gone online. should make no difference a member is a member , no matter when they joined.imho.

Edited by barney
Social source share

got to agree as a punter who travels to various venues,an pays good money to attend said venues ,sometimes feel that we are of no importance.a good deal of this site is taken up by djs and promoters,who use it to further there interests. maybe they should be stopped from using this forum .well thats my opinion n opinions are like ar*soles ,everybodies got one. biggrin.gif

I dont think thats wot i sed....

I love the banter between the DJs n promoters in the events talk threads and surely for the most part the promoters and dj's interests are the same as the punters to give ppl a good nite out so they come back n tell their friends.

i would like to see more honest feedback from punters in the lookbacks thread, constructive comments on their experiences of the nite and i think playlists also help ppl decide if the nite is for them in the future.

I wouldnt like to see any true soul fans baned from this site, freedom of speech within the realms of decency should apply.

Estate agent speak will always exist and the words 'Across the board' used to fill me with dread but i have attended nites then read the lookbacks and wondered if i was at the same do!!

All comment generates discussion and discussion generates thought so no ones opinion can be a bad thing in the end

Helen

XXXX

[color="#0000ff"]I wouldnt like to see any true soul fans baned from this site, freedom of speech within the realms of decency should apply.[/color]

strange statement to come out with, but take it your happy on that point

as have never banned anyone,

do and have closed accounts as per the terms of use

but thats normally when the persons actions have left us no choice

of course there's some who go around saying they been banned , but hey thats free speech for you

Social source share

Very true young man. Most of the ones that do write these vindictive posts tend to

be people who really haven't "done much" on the soul scene. When you've been there, done

it, smoked the tee shirt, all in a MK I Cortina to boot, well it just ins't worth it. Soul fans who've

stuck their necks out will, unfortunately, get them hacked off, usually by the "Only Three

Known Copies" crowd. Live and let live.

:shades:

Chris L

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert