Spinners, Album Track Only?

• Replies 23
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hiya folks. I've searched the net for hours and can't find any evidence that this record came out on a 7" single. Does anyone know any better? or was it just an album track?

'The Spinners - What more could a boy ask for'

Yeah it was only discovered around 1979, and came out on a Motown LP of previously unissued stuff - great track though.....remember when the LP came out, most of it weas mediocre, but that track STOOD OUT.

Social source share

Yeah it was only discovered around 1979, and came out on a Motown LP of previously unissued stuff - great track though.....remember when the LP came out, most of it weas mediocre, but that track STOOD OUT.

Steve, personally the track on the LP that really stood out for me from a Northern Soul point of view was always the Miracles "Its Fantastic" ...

but then I could start another topic solely on the fact that, despite the Northern Scene's admiral reapparaisal of the Motown label over the last 25 years, Smokey and the Miracles seem to have been almost completely and inexplicably ignored ???

Where are all the Miracles acetates with great unreleased Northern tracks , or are there none ? Were Smokey and the group not as prolific in terms of volume of recording of tracks in the studio between 63 -68 , as other relatively minor leaguers such as the Velvelettes and the Contours ????

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Steve, I couldn't call any album with

The Monitors - Cry

The Supremes - Take Me Where You Go

Marvin Gaye - Sweeter As The days Go By

The Marvelettes - I Should Have Known Better

...plus the Miracles and Spinners tracks, "mediocre". Six killers out of 10 tracks is a better tally than many 'official' Motown albums!

Why haven't the Spinners been afforded their own 2CD 'anthology' by UK Motown, BTW. They're surely a bigger name than - and with the greatest respect to all three acts - Kim Weston, the Elgins or the Velvelettes and, given that they were with Motown for nearly 8 years, I can't believe that there aren't considerably more killers in the vaults than we've so far been privileged to hear. Their two albums and non-album singles would fill one CD on their own. C'mon, guys, get your finger out!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I have a test press LP somewhere,put it in another cover for save keepin`only i have forgot what cover i`ve used :unsure:

"John F. Kennedy and the Negro", perhaps, Ken?

Social source share

Steve, I couldn't call any album with

The Monitors - Cry

The Supremes - Take Me Where You Go

Marvin Gaye - Sweeter As The days Go By

The Marvelettes - I Should Have Known Better

...plus the Miracles and Spinners tracks, "mediocre". Six killers out of 10 tracks is a better tally than many 'official' Motown albums!

Yeah probably fair comments from you and Sunnysoul - I'll hold my hands up on that! :unsure:

Back in 79 (ish?) though it WAS The Spinners track that stood out on that LP for me. I remember Kim and myself both getting copies then playing it round his Gaff while we were waiting for our girlfriends to come round - the Spinners track knocked us over.

Social source share

Guest mobbsy

Hiya folks. I've searched the net for hours and can't find any evidence that this record came out on a 7" single. Does anyone know any better? or was it just an album track?

'The Spinners - What more could a boy ask for'

" From The Vaults " L.P. bought it when it came out , lent it to someone never got it back, had to pay £20 for another copy over 15 years back!!! How much is it worth now? Have seen two one sided Promos ,pressed in Germany.

Social source share

Just bought this for £2.50 on EBay, well chuffed and an absolute bargain. Brand new and still shrink wrapped too. Vinyl BTW, not CD.

vaults.jpg

What more could a boy ask for ph34r.gif

Social source share

I have a test press LP somewhere,put it in another cover for save keepin`only i have forgot what cover i`ve used :lol:

So that's why my Bay City Rollers LP I bought from you had that awful soul music album inside instead !! :lol: - Sorry mate!! ... and all this time I thought you were just trying to rip me off ! :lol: Oh, that crappy soul music thing?... I chucked it -'cos it didn't even have a proper label!! :lol::lol:whistling.gif

Social source share

Its been issued twice in States hasn't it, only the re-issue was on Motown or Tamla label, I thought the original was on something Resources?? Can anyone confirm, I have the 2nd issue but can't find the little blighter.

Social source share

Its been issued twice in States hasn't it, only the re-issue was on Motown or Tamla label, I thought the original was on something Resources?? Can anyone confirm, I have the 2nd issue but can't find the little blighter.
The one I have bought is on 'Motown Natural Resources Records', is that what you mean?
Social source share

I had a cd called This is Northern Soul - Motown Sound. It was on that cd and there was a picture of it on 7" single US Motown in the booklet that came with it, but I've never seen one although like the rest of you i've always been looking out for it.

I think the cd was part of a 2 part collection issued on debutant and put together by Chris King its since been released as a double cd and the artwork is different.

If anyone has the original cd have a look in the book and tell me i'm not goin mad.

Cheers Darren

Social source share

Just got the album through today and and definately the best £2.50 I've ever spent. I rate 3 of the tracks as monsters, The spinners, Marvelettes and Smokey Robinson. Mint condition too. Here are some scans of the album cover and one of the label. Maybe someone knows if some of the tracks on the album were eventually released on to 7" single? Hope you like the scans. The first image is of the full back cover. The second and third are 2 images of the back cover a bit closer in so that you can see the details a bit clearer. 4th is the label.

bk_cover.jpg

bk_cover1.jpg

bk_cover2.jpg

label.jpg

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!