Vibes On Classic Northern Tunes

Guest lotusland

Guest lotusland

Need a crash course in this. Which are the classic vibes-led numbers? Mostly I'd think of this as a Detroit signature, right?

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Need a crash course in this. Which are the classic vibes-led numbers? Mostly I'd think of this as a Detroit signature, right?

I don't know if xylophones count as "vibes" (aren't vibes electric?) but if so, I think of it as a mirwood (LA) signature sound, although very reminiscent of detroit.

Social source share

I don't know if xylophones count as "vibes" (aren't vibes electric?) but if so, I think of it as a mirwood (LA) signature sound, although very reminiscent of detroit.

it's vibraphones on Mirwood, Cal Tjader, etc stuff - metal bars. the electric motor is to open and close the resonator tubes, to give the tremolo effect (incorrectly called vibrato, hence the name)

marimbas and xylophones are wooden, they sound very different

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I am hoping to use real vibes on my session in Detroit this month. It seems the added expense of using them is the transport to and from the studio, which I had never thought about. Nobody understands why I want them over there, in this day of synths. I am trying to create proper music, played by proper musicians for proper people...well, that's the theory.

Didn't 'gotta have your love'/The Saphires have some nice vibes on? Also Abraham, Martin and John? What about 'Call me/Eddie Bishop'?

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Allthough a lot of Detroit recordings have vibes they are not exclusive to the Motor city. Other cities that recorded or produced good records vibe wise were:-

Los Angeles - Bobby Sheen - Doctor love.

New York - Topics - Hey Girl (where are you going) Billy Prophet - What can i do.

Philadelphia - The Rotations - Put a dime on D9.

Plus countless others. I beleive vibes were part of the (Mainly) 1960's soul Phenomenon. Most of my favourite tracks have vibes in them, and I recall Miles Grayson the L.A. record producer telling me that the "Vibes Guy" in L.A. was a postman, he used to turn up at the studio in a USPS van and uniform, play vibes on the recording then go back to work. Unfortunatly he couldn't remember his name. I think the main Detroit vibes man was Lionel Hampton. Good thread..........anymore Information of vibes led record listings out there?

Regards Ritchie. :unsure:

Social source share

Cigarette Ashes - Jimmy Conwell (Mirwood)

Never in a million years - Honey and the Bees (Garrison)

What - Judy Street (Strider) :unsure:

This thing called love - Johnny Wyatt (Bronco) :(

Tons of 'em, they were always my favourite 'Northern' tunes if they had vibes in.

Jordi

Social source share

Let's not forget forget the Philadelphia vibist/percussionist......Vince Montana....still recording today, must be in his 80s.....as I type I can hear the sound of the Volcanos Arctic sides running through my head......great stuff, vibes certainly add that little something I think.

Edited by DelTee
Social source share

" Save My Love For A Rainy Day " - The Van Dykes .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Did Roy Ayers do anyhthing remotely Northern...?

Dont think he did anything that could fit into the Northern genre. However, he is still an amazing 7ts Soul/Jazz Funk artist.

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Blimey - yes, Vince Montanta. I think he just turned 80 and he still plays. Philly is my next port of call for some songs!

Social source share

Dont think he did anything that could fit into the Northern genre. However, he is still an amazing 7ts Soul/Jazz Funk artist.

You're spot on about the latter. I may be wrong, but I'm sure some enterprising jocks tried to fit 'Running Away' into a main-room back in the day (could've been someone like Colin Curtis at Derby Tiffs :D:D ) Maybe barking totally up the wrong tree though.

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

I Need A Helping Hand - The Servicemen

geez tons of them ... played vibes in highschool orchestra. always makes me smile when i hear them used.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert