Any Signs Of A Youth Invasion

Listen to the opening of this Go Team track and 1' 48" in:

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p_LoSqyNmeo

It may be commercial, but to see kids like this using some traditional instruments and a xylophone is terrific. Plus, those hand claps at the end. Great stuff. And somewhere along the line there is a Philly producer involved (which I need to clarify exactly how). So by supporting this trend it is likely to encourage the following of more retro soul phenomena's which can't be bad news!

I went to a Go Team concert last year in Sydney, they were great and the place was packed 3,000 plus.

With their samples of shirley ellis ( soul time ) and their instrumental versions similar to 'The horse ' . the place was rocking, Will see them again soon when they return.

They are massive in Germany as well ( apparantly) And Japan.

well recommended night out

pete morgan

Social source share

• Replies 91
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Bogue

It may be commercial, but to see kids like this using some traditional instruments and a xylophone is terrific. Plus, those hand claps at the end. Great stuff. And somewhere along the line there is a Philly producer involved (which I need to clarify exactly how). So by supporting this trend it is likely to encourage the following of more retro soul phenomena's which can't be bad news!

I went to a Go Team concert last year in Sydney, they were great and the place was packed 3,000 plus.

With their samples of shirley ellis ( soul time ) and their instrumental versions similar to 'The horse ' . the place was rocking, Will see them again soon when they return.

pete morgan

'Can't be still' was the template for that one i reckon Pete. :P As you say, a bit commercial, but i would rather hear that sort of stuff in the charts as opposed to the winner & 20 runner ups of the latest non talent show on tv !!

& i'm sure it will lead to a good few youngsters delving a bit deeper, just like the 'dreaded' Footse era did all those years ago !

Social source share

If you want to see young people having a whale of a time dancing to 60ts soul, Northern and Motown get down to Paul Bs, Liam Qs, Paul W and Mattys nite at the Manc Metropolitan Uni on the 2nd Friday of the month.

Its like going to the wheel 40 years ago, with a knowledgeable young crowd, who by the way, can dance!

Social source share

Dead Right we should be encouraging them, Ganche... , Embracing them, even! Doing anything and everything within our means to fuel their enthusiasm soon as it walks thru the door!! (I, for one, would gladly offer up -free of any fees, of course, all of my free time to any of the 'new' young ladies that need encouragement at it's most extreme - and provide them with the benefit of my experience :lol::Plaugh.gif ) :D:no:

Fingers.. :yes:

:lol: Youre just too generous!!

We had a few young lads turn up at Rugby and (as its what they're used to) walk on the dancefloor with their drinks. Sian had a quiet little word about etiquette and told them their drinks would be safe - no-one would spike them or nick them. They went on to stay for the whole evening and danced all night. If we make them feel welcome I'm sure we can get em in. They did however think Sian was coming on to them!! :lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

:D Youre just too generous!!

We had a few young lads turn up at Rugby and (as its what they're used to) walk on the dancefloor with their drinks. Sian had a quiet little word about etiquette and told them their drinks would be safe - no-one would spike them or nick them. They went on to stay for the whole evening and danced all night. If we make them feel welcome I'm sure we can get em in. They did however think Sian was coming on to them!! :lol::yes:

laugh.gif:lol:

Was she not coming on to them then? :P:lol:

Social source share

Some great opinions expressed to a potential revival, which will happen in some way as there is no 'new scene' for kids at the moment.

Of course it starts with curiosity, and some will not get bitten by the Northern Soul - way of life bug, but others will and join for the long term.

Once you get a few dozen small groups around the country who meet up at venues and discover how great it is to have mates far and wide, with virtually no trouble, enjoying spine tingling soul influenced dance music, it will be.

For the same reasons as we got hooked.

Ed

Social source share

Sorry, mate, but that argument doesn't work for me. For the Isleys, TOHOM was not an isolated one off - it was a record that reflected the then-current sounds of popular American black music (or, at least one of its many strands). Their next few records were in a similar vein, as you well know. They were not an attempt to rekindle the sound of the past, like the Duffy record purports to be - and although TOHOM probably was a jumping off point for many future Northern collectors, it did not start the movement towards NS on its own.

I really don't think that Keb, Liam et al dancing in a video of a fairly mediocre, uptempo pop record is going to provide the impetus for the influx of hundreds of future northern collectors in the way that Motown did. Maybe a handful of people will hear it and go, "oh yes it sounds like one of those old Northern Soul Records", maybe a handful of that handful will be intrigued enough to buy a NS compilation, and maybe a handful of that handful will want to take their interest a bit further, and attend a few dances.

But I really do think that a "handful of a handful of a handful" is all we're talking here - not enough to - not enough to guarantee that NS is going to live on in perpetuity after we've all met our maker. And the gap between Duffy and the Velvet Satins is of Grand Canyonesque proportions (and getting wider) as far as I'm concerned....

Yeah but I'm a romanticist Tony!

And you're right, it was a stretch to compare the Isleys to Duffy LOL but I honestly think that the conditions for spreading Northern Soul to a new audience are better now that almost any time in the past 20 years. The general public's affinity seems to be spreading to 60's retro big productions with songs of torture and pain and they're buying it droves via Amy and Duffy. Pastiches they may be but to me they're opening up new audiences for the possible appreciation of Northern Soul to a wider market. Also when I see the sheer size of the Northern Soul section in the Oxford St Zavvi in the centre of London, it tells me that they must be stocking it for a reason.

And this is just so much better than the Wigan's Ovation period in the 70's. At least these are bonafide artists with original songs who are making 60's type productions hip again. If Amy did a cover of "Nothing Can Compare To You" that'd sure shorten the canyon LOL...

Ian D :P

Social source share

pete morgan

LOVE the GO TEAM! They have been quite influenced by soul. One track has a Frankie Crocker riff on first album :P

Social source share

The Go Team sampled "Cindy Gibson - I'll Always Love You - General American" and PAID Frank Bendinelli (producer of CG) to do so, top marks!!

Des Parker

P.S. Frank loves it, but there again he's more interested in Music than the value of a bit of plastic (poor deluded fool, or is he?)

Social source share

And the gap between Duffy and the Velvet Satins is of Grand Canyonesque proportions (and getting wider) as far as I'm concerned....

Rod

I must be missing something i'd rather listen to Duffy that the Velvet f*cking Satins anyday whistling.gif

Derek

Social source share

[b]LOVE the GO TEAM! They have been quite influenced by soul. One track has a Frankie Crocker riff on first album yes.gif

Love both those tracks posted on this thread. Great energy!!

Regarding the new blood, there is another possible scenario. Rather than waiting for the young people to join us (and why should they?) the likes of Liam's Beat Boutique, Brighton Beach, The Buzz and other similar clubs will absorb those with a leaning towards soul, without all the "parents" and rules. When in say 10-15 years the majority of people on the soul scene will be too old and knackered to go out, those that are left will have to join the youth movement. Just a thought!

Social source share

The current sound of Sharon Jones at Daptone is more related to our scene than Duffy and co. and if there is to be any spin off with regards the music then that's the likely avenue, the more success daptone gets then the more likely hood is that you'll get the wanna be's which is just what happened in the 60's and 70's, some will be successful others won't and they'll all be aiming at the young american market, the successful ones will hit over here, and eventually we come full circle with kids here checking out the american failures.

Social source share

Hola, half way through the tour and its going well though very tired! getting to play Northern (as well as funk, 6ts R&cool.gif to a full house every night of the week has been great and also daunting when the crowd arent there to dance and a gig crowd are very different to a soul crowd..there all crammed together trying to get a good spot near the front.. soo basically i just take the opportunity to play em a nice mix of some classics and rarer bits also some things i think are more automatically pleasing to the ear on first listen and that'll get the heads nodding before Duffy comes on... I've had soo many people coming up asking for cd's, talking about Northern and how they love it and others who never came across the tunes and just wanted to know where they could get some etc etc. there is definitely more and more younger people getting into the music..most arent interested in the rarity of records and who's got what and the politics mainly.. they just want to listen to tunes and dance!.. hopefully our club night in Manchester will really take off after the success of the first night, im gutted i cannot go to other nights i regularly attend but the oppertunity to help be apart of creating a new and fresh soul scene like what they have in so many european cities now couldnt be missed and is BADLY needed in the Uk... Im totally missing going to nights at the minute and havent been to one in over a month! as im on tour sad.gif ... .will try and make up for it v soon...

Hope your all well

In Soul

Liam

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I must be missing something, i'd rather listen to Duffy that the Velvet f*cking Satins anyday whistling.gif

Derek

...Your hearing aid, maybe? :lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Go Team - Doing It Right - first few seconds intro sounds like a mix of Major Lance- Monkey Time and Patti Young - Head & Shoulders. hypo.gif

Social source share

The only way that you will get young people into the music is if you give them their own club with people their own age.

We run a monthly night, Beat Boutique in Manchester, and the first one was rammed with young people who like soul music. If we were to take these people to an all nighter then they probably wouldn't enjoy it because a) its too intimidating, cool.gif the age of the people there would probably put them off. You will only get the obsessive types turning out every week who go for the love of the music rather than a night out with their mates. These people are few and far between unforunately.

We hope to take all the positives from the soul scene and take them to a younger audience that will appreciate it.

Ckeck out the pictures of our first night by clicking the link below. You will see that there is hope yet!!!

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1916...1311&ref=mf

Social source share

Hola, half way through the tour and its going well though very tired! getting to play Northern (as well as funk, 6ts R&cool.gif to a full house every night of the week has been great and also daunting when the crowd arent there to dance and a gig crowd are very different to a soul crowd..there all crammed together trying to get a good spot near the front.. soo basically i just take the opportunity to play em a nice mix of some classics and rarer bits also some things i think are more automatically pleasing to the ear on first listen and that'll get the heads nodding before Duffy comes on... I've had soo many people coming up asking for cd's, talking about Northern and how they love it and others who never came across the tunes and just wanted to know where they could get some etc etc. there is definitely more and more younger people getting into the music..most arent interested in the rarity of records and who's got what and the politics mainly.. they just want to listen to tunes and dance!.. hopefully our club night in Manchester will really take off after the success of the first night, im gutted i cannot go to other nights i regularly attend but the oppertunity to help be apart of creating a new and fresh soul scene like what they have in so many european cities now couldnt be missed and is BADLY needed in the Uk... Im totally missing going to nights at the minute and havent been to one in over a month! as im on tour :( ... .will try and make up for it v soon...

Hope your all well

In Soul

Liam

What a refreshing comment :thumbsup: Nice to hear . Sometimes age/knowledge/experience has disadvantages and can serve to blur what the scene is about. Younger people can get invovled with no preconcieved ideas and make judgements for themselves without any outside influences such as the politics and history of the scene (that will come in time like it did to the rest of us :lol: )

I am the wrong side of 50 but can stiill remember just 'listening to the tunes and dance' when I was younger. F**king what a buzz that was. Tell yer what i'm jealous of the b***ards now :lol::lol::D:D:D

Social source share

What a refreshing comment :thumbsup: Nice to hear . Sometimes age/knowledge/experience has disadvantages and can serve to blur what the scene is about. Younger people can get invovled with no preconcieved ideas and make judgements for themselves without any outside influences such as the politics and history of the scene (that will come in time like it did to the rest of us :lol: )

I am the wrong side of 50 but can stiill remember just 'listening to the tunes and dance' when I was younger. F**king what a buzz that was. Tell yer what i'm jealous of the b***ards now :lol::lol::D:D:D

I'm coming up to 50 but in terms of the scene, I'm young (only been on it 6-7 years). That's all I want to do, is listen and dance to great tunes, whether they be R&B , newies, oldies rare, worth five bob or five million. Not interested in collecting, even if I could afford it, I'm happy to own on CD, MP3 or whatever, the tunes I love. When I'm on my death bed I know I won't look back and wished I'd danced more and had more fun cos the last 6 years have been the best of my life. So maybe it's not so much age as attitude! :(

Edited by Maark
Social source share

Guest edsuede

Well come on theyve got the basic Northern beat, theyve got the basic Northern Dancers, theyve got to find a new direction. Duffy/Amy W etc.

Are we going to have/have already lots of curious young uns coming to venues to get more of this 'brand new scene' being invented (again).

Its got to be encouraged, and hopefully they will discover the real deal and not the manufactured stuff in the charts.

Just like in the 70s with Weakspot/Sharonnettes/Footsee etc, it got us interested and then we moved on, so dont knock em back when they turn up.

Ed

:thumbup: The one key element that everyone has missed on this thread is ...the Lambrini girls!!! According to the 'style bible' that is the Scarborough Evening News (last nights edition), Lambrini has launched a new campaign - "Do the Lambrini" to get, and i quote "girls all over the country slipping on their dancing shoes and boogying the night away". There's even a competition to win packs containing glittery tights, a coupon for Lambrini and a cd of "the northern soul classic, The Snake, by Al Wilson"!!!!!

Get ready for the onslaught of pissed, glittery tight and dancing shoe clad young women at your local soul night soon - you have been warned :thumbup: !!!!!!

Social source share

The only way that you will get young people into the music is if you give them their own club with people their own age.

We run a monthly night, Beat Boutique in Manchester, and the first one was rammed with young people who like soul music. If we were to take these people to an all nighter then they probably wouldn't enjoy it because a) its too intimidating, cool.gif the age of the people there would probably put them off. You will only get the obsessive types turning out every week who go for the love of the music rather than a night out with their mates. These people are few and far between unforunately.

We hope to take all the positives from the soul scene and take them to a younger audience that will appreciate it.

Ckeck out the pictures of our first night by clicking the link below. You will see that there is hope yet!!!

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1916...1311&ref=mf

hi Paul,

young good looking people enjoying themselves, it won't catch on :thumbup:

looks great, wish i was young :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest posstot

My daughter is seven.....I have been playing 60's soul in the car since she was a wee baby, and she still isn't sick of it.

Just the opposite..i judge if a record will be liked "out" by how much she likes it...I am just testing the theory out now, and so far it's working!!! :lol::lol:

Infact she has better taste than a lot of "Northern Soul" so called d.j's.....And better Knowledge!! :lol:

DOES SEVEN COUNT AS FRESH NEW BLOOD ON THE SCENE!!! :lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

My daughter is seven.....I have been playing 60's soul in the car since she was a wee baby, and she still isn't sick of it.

Just the opposite..i judge if a record will be liked "out" by how much she likes it...I am just testing the theory out now, and so far it's working!!! :lol::lol:

Infact she has better taste than a lot of "Northern Soul" so called d.j's.....And better Knowledge!! :lol:

DOES SEVEN COUNT AS FRESH NEW BLOOD ON THE SCENE!!! :lol::lol:

It brings up an interesting point though ! obviously not with one so young :lol:

But maybe this emergence of the Duffy & Amy Winehouse etc sound is down to the fact that todays youth in a lot of cases have heard their parents playing the music & do indeed have a soft spot for it like the lad i spoke to at our do explained. Just as our affinity to 60's music perhaps in a lot of cases came to us from hearing our parents playing it ? Certainly ties up with the age of our kids in most cases.

So the second wave could be just around the corner !! (or should that be 3rd wave :lol: )

(forgive me if this point has already been mooted, haven't got time to read through all posts again)

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

ill just be brief here, but in the states, the crowds that turn out to rare soul nights are all young, and many have a good grasp of the music or a keen interest to learn more. we occassionally make cds to give away at the door and they are always very well received.

lines at our night recently have been out the door from the moment that we open.

the duffy track hasnt really caught on here in the states yet, but i bet when it does, turn out will be even larger.

Social source share

And the gap between Duffy and the Velvet Satins is of Grand Canyonesque proportions (and getting wider) as far as I'm concerned....

Rod

I must be missing something i'd rather listen to Duffy that the Velvet f*cking Satins anyday :lol:

Derek

It wasn't me Derek who introduced the relative merits of the Velvet Satins. However I always thought it was a great girl group 45 until I realised it was a bunch of white guys but it's still infinitely preferrable to Duffy,IMO anyway.

To my ears Duffy just sounds wrong. A pastiche, a gimmick, style but no substance.

Bingo though with bongos playing rhythmically yet unobtrusively in the background would appeal to all ages,

ROD

Social source share

Hola, half way through the tour and its going well though very tired! getting to play Northern (as well as funk, 6ts R&cool.gif to a full house every night of the week has been great and also daunting when the crowd arent there to dance and a gig crowd are very different to a soul crowd..there all crammed together trying to get a good spot near the front.. soo basically i just take the opportunity to play em a nice mix of some classics and rarer bits also some things i think are more automatically pleasing to the ear on first listen and that'll get the heads nodding before Duffy comes on... I've had soo many people coming up asking for cd's, talking about Northern and how they love it and others who never came across the tunes and just wanted to know where they could get some etc etc. there is definitely more and more younger people getting into the music..most arent interested in the rarity of records and who's got what and the politics mainly.. they just want to listen to tunes and dance!.. hopefully our club night in Manchester will really take off after the success of the first night, im gutted i cannot go to other nights i regularly attend but the oppertunity to help be apart of creating a new and fresh soul scene like what they have in so many european cities now couldnt be missed and is BADLY needed in the Uk... Im totally missing going to nights at the minute and havent been to one in over a month! as im on tour :lol: ... .will try and make up for it v soon...

Hope your all well

In Soul

Liam

Helooooooo Liam,

As Liam has embraced our scene I thought it was only fair that we learnt a bit more about his so he taught us a few moves............

https://www.jibjab.com/sendables/preview/dx...Z8lMqp3lqTPLnTh

:ohmy:

Edited by Ganche
Social source share

Guest Rob Glover

Well come on theyve got the basic Northern beat, theyve got the basic Northern Dancers, theyve got to find a new direction. Duffy/Amy W etc.

Are we going to have/have already lots of curious young uns coming to venues to get more of this 'brand new scene' being invented (again).

Its got to be encouraged, and hopefully they will discover the real deal and not the manufactured stuff in the charts.

Just like in the 70s with Weakspot/Sharonnettes/Footsee etc, it got us interested and then we moved on, so dont knock em back when they turn up.

Ed

The Youth are there they just need encouraging a bit.

Since I started The Buzz back in 1995 we have been playing Northern Soul, Ska, Boogaloo, R&B, Latin and Popcorn and mixing it up with new indie and stuff like The Dap-Kings and Nicole Willis. To see a 300 strong crowd of under 25's getting on down to "Alone with no love" - Rock Candy or "Stick by me baby" - The Salvador's makes your heart leap. The number of youths that come up and ask for amazing things (yes they have it on a CD at home, but the fact that they know it is overwhelming).

When I ask them about going to a Northern Soul night most feel a little intimidated about attending, thinking it is some strange world they wont fit in to. We need to blast this fear out of the water now before it is too late.

One question I have always asked is why are there fewer young DJ's?

Now, ok most couldn't afford to buy the big sounds but does that mean they can't string a set together?

On the contrary, I've learnt from running events and venues for the last 20 years that just because you have a great collection doesn't always mean you are a decent DJ.

If each soul night or all-nighter in the country makes it a priority to get at least 1 young (Local) dj involved the scene would change dramatically in a few short years.

Hence why we have decided to encourage younger DJ's to work along side the older spinners at our new soul night in Northampton.

Yum Yum - The Northampton Lost Soul night.

It's going to be sweet and sticky!

Cheers,

Rob

Social source share

The Youth are there they just need encouraging a bit.

Since I started The Buzz back in 1995 we have been playing Northern Soul, Ska, Boogaloo, R&B, Latin and Popcorn and mixing it up with new indie and stuff like The Dap-Kings and Nicole Willis. To see a 300 strong crowd of under 25's getting on down to "Alone with no love" - Rock Candy or "Stick by me baby" - The Salvador's makes your heart leap. The number of youths that come up and ask for amazing things (yes they have it on a CD at home, but the fact that they know it is overwhelming).

When I ask them about going to a Northern Soul night most feel a little intimidated about attending, thinking it is some strange world they wont fit in to. We need to blast this fear out of the water now before it is too late.

One question I have always asked is why are there fewer young DJ's?

Now, ok most couldn't afford to buy the big sounds but does that mean they can't string a set together?

On the contrary, I've learnt from running events and venues for the last 20 years that just because you have a great collection doesn't always mean you are a decent DJ.

If each soul night or all-nighter in the country makes it a priority to get at least 1 young (Local) dj involved the scene would change dramatically in a few short years.

Hence why we have decided to encourage younger DJ's to work along side the older spinners at our new soul night in Northampton.

Yum Yum - The Northampton Lost Soul night.

It's going to be sweet and sticky!

Cheers,

Rob

Now THAT is exactly the right attitude!

More power to ya Rob. Sounds like fun - I'll try and get along one night.....

Ian D

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Well i don't see connections apart from dancers and sometimes a song has a Northern beat.

But why is it when they talk about it's influenced by Northen they bring up the most obvious or artists and songs and Motown too. like oh yeah Arthur Conley - Sweet Soul Music, Tainted Love or an artist like Marvin Gaye with his songs Ain't No Mountain High enough.

You never hear them say anything about the more obscure artists or songs not exactly chart hits. Even it be good if they covered some of these sort of songs or for a new artist to come along and say i wanted it to be like Northern i am influenced by Moses Smith, The Valentinos, Barbara Acklin and so on. or if talking Motown they say it's about songs like Jimmy Ruffin - He Who Picks a Rose, Chris Clarke - Something's Wrong, Isley Brothers - My Love Is Your Love and so on.

Social source share

Well i don't see connections apart from dancers and sometimes a song has a Northern beat.

But why is it when they talk about it's influenced by Northen they bring up the most obvious or artists and songs and Motown too. like oh yeah Arthur Conley - Sweet Soul Music, Tainted Love or an artist like Marvin Gaye with his songs Ain't No Mountain High enough.

You never hear them say anything about the more obscure artists or songs not exactly chart hits. Even it be good if they covered some of these sort of songs or for a new artist to come along and say i wanted it to be like Northern i am influenced by Moses Smith, The Valentinos, Barbara Acklin and so on. or if talking Motown they say it's about songs like Jimmy Ruffin - He Who Picks a Rose, Chris Clarke - Something's Wrong, Isley Brothers - My Love Is Your Love and so on.

Gloria Jone's "Tainted Love" or Judy Street's "What" weren't obvious by any means when Soft Cell covered 'em. They were Northern Soul oldies by then, but they certainly weren't known to the general public and had only been released either on bootleg or Northern reissue labels like Inferno and Grapevine and certainly weren't ever conceived by anyone to be pop hits. Apart from Soft Cell who loved both the original records and had graced Northern Soul clubs in their youth. David Ball from Soft Cell is still a participating soul fan and has actually deejayed out @ a couple of Motown type nights just lately.......

Best,

Ian D

Social source share

Gloria Jone's "Tainted Love" or Judy Street's "What" weren't obvious by any means when Soft Cell covered 'em. They were Northern Soul oldies by then, but they certainly weren't known to the general public and had only been released either on bootleg or Northern reissue labels like Inferno and Grapevine and certainly weren't ever conceived by anyone to be pop hits. Apart from Soft Cell who loved both the original records and had graced Northern Soul clubs in their youth. David Ball from Soft Cell is still a participating soul fan and has actually deejayed out @ a couple of Motown type nights just lately.......

Best,

Ian D

We went to watch Liam spin a few tunes to open the Duffy show last night. He definately turned a few heads and saw a fella come and ask about Timebox - beggin. I was really surprised at the age of the crowd though. I expected young girlies but have to say most of the audience were middle-aged. Duffy has an awesome voice and didnt hit a note wrong - was pleasantly surprised.

heres a few pics.....

post-2934-1205329142_thumb.jpg

post-2934-1205329192_thumb.jpg

post-2934-1205329289_thumb.jpg

post-2934-1205329661_thumb.jpg

post-2934-1205329777_thumb.jpg

oh and of course Duffy,

post-2934-1205329909_thumb.jpg

post-2934-1205329964_thumb.jpg

post-2934-1205330010_thumb.jpg

post-2934-1205330082_thumb.jpg

Social source share

We went to watch Liam spin a few tunes to open the Duffy show last night. He definately turned a few heads and saw a fella come and ask about Timebox - beggin. I was really surprised at the age of the crowd though. I expected young girlies but have to say most of the audience were middle-aged. Duffy has an awesome voice and didnt hit a note wrong - was pleasantly surprised.

heres a few pics.....

oh and of course Duffy,

Yep. Good for all of 'em! Nout up with Liam or Duffy IMO. Duffy's done more in 4 weeks to entice more people into investigating the scene then anything else this year. And you could say Amy did the same thing last year. The general public LIKE the Northern Soul 'sound' when they get exposed to it at this level. There's already compilations being lined-up to further educate 'em as we speak......

Shock horror....Northern Soul is sexy again!

Ian D

Social source share

ill just be brief here, but in the states, the crowds that turn out to rare soul nights are all young, and many have a good grasp of the music or a keen interest to learn more. we occassionally make cds to give away at the door and they are always very well received.

lines at our night recently have been out the door from the moment that we open.

the duffy track hasnt really caught on here in the states yet, but i bet when it does, turn out will be even larger.

I'm sorry but this is the last thing we want. The next thing you know they'll be buying records which will mean the records won't get over here for us grumpy old men. Stop this right now. :(

Social source share

Guest Rob Glover

Now THAT is exactly the right attitude!

More power to ya Rob. Sounds like fun - I'll try and get along one night.....

Ian D

Cheers Ian, it only takes a small like-minded minority to create waves of change.

I was also reading somewhere on here about the young DJ's being in to the music more than the rare records.

Where is the difference in that and all the youngsters in the 70's collecting bootlegs?

None! There is no difference.

Besides in another 20 years time all the ultra rare stuff will be gobbled up by corporate companies as investments.

Don't laugh; I've seen it happen in Japan on my last trip out there recently.

:(

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert