Oddities On Respected Soul Labels

Just for a bit of fun.

How many crap or unexpected releases were issued on respected soul labels.

Here one from me...

Lena Zavaroni - Ma (He's Making Eyes At Me)

post-4493-1204372412_thumb.jpg

Go on don't be shy, show what dark secrets lurk in your collections....

John

Johnny

Good idea for a topic

Is this in your collection for completist purposes only ?

Pat

Social source share

Got a few Richard Harris 45s and 33s on Motown,and a few Meatloafs on Tamla and Rare earth.

Oh and Lena`s Stax LP.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest nusha

Got a few Richard Harris 45s and 33s on Motown,and a few Meatloafs on Tamla and Rare earth.

Oh and Lena`s Stax LP.

Plenty of crap on Motown...Albert finny.Soupy sales.Charlene.Sam Harris.

Elmer Dantrys release on DIRECTION is a shocker...

Social source share

Plenty of crap on Motown...Albert finny.Soupy sales.Charlene.Sam Harris.

Elmer Dantrys release on DIRECTION is a shocker...

Yeah, the 45 is a bag of shite...but check his album out, some great 'Northern' type dancers on it. 'Come To Baby Do' & 'Teach Your Baby How To Dance' are 2 which spring to mind!

Social source share

Just for a bit of fun.

How many crap or unexpected releases were issued on respected soul labels.

Here one from me...

Lena Zavaroni - Ma (He's Making Eyes At Me)

post-4493-1204372412_thumb.jpg

Go on don't be shy, show what dark secrets lurk in your collections....

John

Not in my collection , but have seen release on labels that have given us NS dancefloor fodder .......

Mohawk - Robin & The Merry Men " Santa , Bring Me A Doll " ( Mohawk # 130 )

Musicor - Eddie Siwicki & His Golden Bells " Popeye Polka " ( Musicor # 1110 )

Liberty - Canned Heat with The Chipmunks " The Chipmunk Song " ( Liberty # 56079 )

The last one - CH with TC - I would love to hear : surreal does not come into it ..........

Malc Burton

Social source share

What about actor Albert Finney's LP on Motown (Albert Finney's Album). Would have loved to have been in the planning meeting when that was discussed. There's also an album of traditional Irish/Rebel songs called "We're Off To Dublin In The Green" by the Abbey Tavern Singers on VIP.

post-812-1204537761_thumb.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What about actor Albert Finney's LP on Motown (Albert Finney's Album). Would have loved to have been in the planning meeting when that was discussed. There's also an album of traditional Irish/Rebel songs called "We're Off To Dublin In The Green" by the Abbey Tavern Singers on VIP.

post-812-1204537761_thumb.jpg

Yup, Abbey Tavern Singers got an Lp on VIP and The Velvelettes didnt!!! :P

steve

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Liberty - Canned Heat with The Chipmunks " The Chipmunk Song " ( Liberty # 56079 )

The last one - CH with TC - I would love to hear : surreal does not come into it ..........

Malc Burton

Now, who on here do you think might actually own a copy, Mr. B?

Yes, you guessed it:

...as a fan of both Alvin the Chipmunk and Bob "The Bear" (Hite) you would know that this is tailor made for me.

It's actually one of my favourite Christmas records, not to mention the fact that it's possibly the most relentless boogie track that Canned Heat ever cut.

What a pity for you that I don't have a USB turntable and thus can't do a Refosoul...

TONE

Social source share

Now, who on here do you think might actually own a copy, Mr. B?

Yes, you guessed it:

...as a fan of both Alvin the Chipmunk and Bob "The Bear" (Hite) you would know that this is tailor made for me.

It's actually one of my favourite Christmas records, not to mention the fact that it's possibly the most relentless boogie track that Canned Heat ever cut.

What a pity for you that I don't have a USB turntable and thus can't do a Refosoul...

TONE

Tony , once again , you are the man :P ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...
Guest mel brat

Not in my collection , but have seen release on labels that have given us NS dancefloor fodder .......

Malc Burton

I think combining the Polka with "the Popeye" takes some beating for sheer chutzpah! - Can't help wondering what Johann Strauss would make of it...! :thumbsup:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

They obviously felt very guilty releasing this, so tried to make amends with Bessie Banks

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

how about the first and only uk reggae record (i think!!!) to come out on mr gordys usa tamla label in the early 70s,bob+marcia,young gifted and black,tamla-54197 a chart hit in the uk in the early 70s on trojan or harryj label????, was emi the link?, :lol::D

Social source share

• 5 years later...

How many Motown collectors are lucky enough to have this in their collection, truely aweful;

Irene 'Granny' Ryan-No time at all-Motown M 1221 F-1972. What were the thinking!!!!!! biggrin.png

Oh Errr just received a copy of this as packing with a 45, anybody want it to complete their motown 45's !

post-8842-0-49275600-1384946575_thumb.jp

Best

Spook  :lol:

Social source share

Elmer Gantrys Velvet Opera - but Direction wasn't a dedicated soul label, it was about 60% soul - the Mickey Finn single on Direction is one of the best records of the 60's

EGVO had started out as a soul band (beat group ?) that toured the UK extensively. When mainstream UK clubs started moving over to a less soul dominated playlist around 67/68, the outfit changed its name & became more progressive / syc rock (or whatever name that genre goes under). As the 'new' EGVO they soon had a big club following and so no doubt were signed to an album deal by CBS and placed on Direction.

It's likely their LP tracks were cut quickly (I don't actually know if this is true or not) and so they could easily have used songs that they had performed in their soul days (did they, I don't know their LP tracks). I do know they were a popular live draw at clubs like the 100 Club and Marquee back in those times.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Not particularly 'respected' but I bought a copy of a full-on heavy rock track by 'Scarab' on a British Inferno demo (ie Neil Rushden's label) from a junk shop when I was at college in Hull.

Motown CW (for those that don't know 'CW' DOES stand for what it shouldn't) throws up some stinkers - there's also a Motown album of a ventiloquist and his dummy - Chester? (not sure how that works), I've also seen one of the British guitar blues rockers (Jimmy Page? - I forget) on Excello - which I believe did good business doing what were effectively vanity recordings of wannabe 'serious' white bluesmen in the mid-late 60s.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Fair enough - was evidently misinformed by the boss - anyway googling Soupy Sales I see he managed to bag outings on ABC Paramount, Reprise and Capitol - a respectable label line up for a proper soul artist.

Dx

His record "The Mouse" on ABC is supposed to have been played in the 60's, I doubt it though, it's terrible

Social source share

I know this is a five year old post, but why are Musicor and Liberty records mentioned? They are not 'soul' labels. The Chipmunks helped put Liberty on the map, they were one of the labels biggest money makers.

Malc Burton

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Stax made a big and completely failed attempt to become a full range record label in the early 70s. Most famously for Big Star and the Ardent label. They also put out records by the British band Skin Alley. I remember Lena Zavaroni, seeing her perform on US TV shows back then, Stax invested a lot of marketing money behind her.

The first original Stax releases (as Satellite) were rockabilly and country.

Edited by George G
Social source share

I will throw in Spice of Life..... "I hear a melody" on Reforee.

My god it's that bad I haven't played it since winning it on a Moerer auction about 20+ years ago, it was bloody awful considering the quality and variation of styles on that beloved label.

Heaven knows what they were thinking......was there a "worst release on the label" prize from the music industry at that time?

Can't even remember what it's like.....my memory has wiped it from my recall.... Will have to dig it out it may be a rare pshyco funk/garage/house style dancer. Ummmmmm!

Dave

Social source share

I will throw in Spice of Life..... "I hear a melody" on Reforee.

My god it's that bad I haven't played it since winning it on a Moerer auction about 20+ years ago, it was bloody awful considering the quality and variation of styles on that beloved label.

Heaven knows what they were thinking......was there a "worst release on the label" prize from the music industry at that time?

Can't even remember what it's like.....my memory has wiped it from my recall.... Will have to dig it out it may be a rare pshyco funk/garage/house style dancer. Ummmmmm!

Dave

spice of life "I hear a melody" is a killer sweet soul record. sorry that you can't dance to it like a paul anka 45. here is a youtube clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGaKjL-jEDU

the chipmunks were more common and made more money for liberty than any soul 45. i wouldn't consider liberty a soul label.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

spice of life "I hear a melody" is a killer sweet soul record. sorry that you can't dance to it like a paul anka 45. here is a youtube clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGaKjL-jEDU

the chipmunks were more common and made more money for liberty than any soul 45. i wouldn't consider liberty a soul label.

Killer in thats what you want to do to yourself after hearing it going by that clip

Social source share

Killer in thats what you want to do to yourself after hearing it going by that clip

how can you like rocksteady and not even have the slightest appreciation for an excellent sweet soul record with that sound? why don't you ask a jamaican reggae dude which reforee cut he would prefer and see what he says.

Social source share

how can you like rocksteady and not even have the slightest appreciation for an excellent sweet soul record with that sound? why don't you ask a jamaican reggae dude which reforee cut he would prefer and see what he says.

They're like chalk and cheese.  Rocksteady is from the mid 60's.  All the sweet soul I've heard is just like the things that used to make the charts in the mid 70's, pop soul music, disposable stuff.  I don't know any Jamaican reggae dudes.

Social source share

They're like chalk and cheese.  Rocksteady is from the mid 60's.  All the sweet soul I've heard is just like the things that used to make the charts in the mid 70's, pop soul music, disposable stuff.  I don't know any Jamaican reggae dudes.

I'm not going to argue with you about taste, it's not going to go anywhere, both you and i are stubborn.

But now I have a question -- are you saying you like rocksteady but aren't friends with actual Jamaican rocksteady fans? Just wondering.

Social source share

I'm not going to argue with you about taste, it's not going to go anywhere, both you and i are stubborn.

But now I have a question -- are you saying you like rocksteady but aren't friends with actual Jamaican rocksteady fans? Just wondering.

Yeah I ploughed a lone furrow since the age of 11.  Never been to a reggae event, dance, record fair.  Never had any friends into reggae, apart from ones made on the internet post-96.  Read everything I could (which wasn't much until a few years ago), bought records whenever I could find or afford them.  I got into soul after I got into reggae, it's usually the other way round but I thought most soul records sounded the same  :lol:  (this is around 1972-73)

Social source share

His record "The Mouse" on ABC is supposed to have been played in the 60's, I doubt it though, it's terrible

"The Mouse" was a BIG HIT!  EVERYBODY watched Soupy's TV show, and danced "The Mouse".  That was the "in" thing to do.  Even university graduate students watched it.  Soupy's sketches were full of double entendres.  The comedy was on 2 levels.  1 little kids, the other "mature adult".  i'm really surprised so much got by the censors.  I, myself, was one of the few people my age that did NOT buy "The Mouse".  Had its music been written by Stevenson and Hunter, and the instrumental tracks played by The Funk Brothers, I'd have bought it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!