Worst Northern Track Ever

Simsy

Been some talk of late about this record and that being ear damage, but with thanks to the mighty members of Soul Source we are now able to hear possibly the worst Northern track ever!

First saw this in a Pat Brady list circa 1990 - The Four Chaps - True Lovers/Will You Or Wont You. Therfore a legit Northern track I'd say.

Plug side is really not bad, but the flip can't be the same group? As a mate of mine said, it sounds like a bunch of East End barrow boys mucking about...

See what you think, but I defy anyone to come up with anything worse than this!

Plug Side (not bad)

f4fd_2.JPG

MP3 clip of b side 'Will You Or Wont You (very very bad).

The_Four_Chaps___will_you_or_wont_you.mp3

Social source share

• Replies 51
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just because one side is Northern Soul it does NOT follow that the other side is!!

Will You Or Won't You is NOT NORTHERN SOUL.

When these records where made, often they would try to appeal to different listeners by putting different styles of music on the respective sides for maximum sales potential.

This negative kind of post usually starts a slagging match, because it does not take long until someones favorite record is rubished!

Social source share

Just because one side is Northern Soul it does NOT follow that the other side is!!

When these records where made, often they would try to appeal to different listeners by putting different styles of music on the respective sides for maximum sales potential.

This negative kind of post usually starts a slagging match, because it does not take long until someones favorite record is rubished!

Spot on,loads a shite flips all over the show :rolleyes: is true lovers same as Vogues if so like Vogues better,better try the flip might be worser than above biggrin.gif

Social source share

As someone who deals in all genres of Soul, I try and see the positive in all tunes, from all eras, but this is bad, even if we judge it as a "spoof". I cannot believe that this has ever been played in any type of Northern event and cannot believe that anyone would class this as "Northern" in any shape or form!

Des Parker

Social source share

It's not even soulful. Or anywhere near soulful.

What I really need is for Pete Smith to admit this is (in his opinion) a worse record than the Carstairs, because this IS the worst record ever!!!

Never gonna happen. Such a record does not exist.

But on this one, True Lovers is the Northern side, never even heard mention of the other side to be honest

Social source share

nice topic :rolleyes: ........for me the worst northern soul track ever is Phil Flowers & The Underdogs "Discontented" and can be found on Goldmine´s "For Milllionaires Only 4". I have no idea why Tim Brown put this on a Northern Soul CD ...this is definitely not SOUL it´s crap ! (IMO)

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Worst Northern? I still haven't heard anything as bad as Joey Delorenzo. The search continues... sad.gif

Ironically you have IMO one of the best songs ever as your avatar Ian :rolleyes:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

As already stated both sides listed in Pat Brady sales list.

With respect it is not you or I that decides what is Northern. That is down to the DJ and the dancers. Not that anyone would ever dream of playing this out, but it's there all the same. If you want to split hairs you could say it's the B side of a Northern track.

Wouldn't worry yourself too much about this being anyones's fave record, most of our members have better taste than that. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

if you like the side you bought it for and was doing a spot and got distracted and played this flip could you imagine the horror on the faces of those dancers :rolleyes: its got to be worth a play just to see their reaction laugh.gif

fooking terrible tune or whatever its classed as sad.gif

Social source share

I think you should play this out next time you djing Simhead then it it can be official!! :rolleyes:

Chaps yes? Not City Lights.. Two on Ebay at the moment.. Fookin tempted I tell thee.

Was said above WYOWY may indeed be by another group?

Just nice to have some recognition of it's awfulness after all these years of suffering... biggrin.gif

Social source share

halos are for angels blanch carter ...HATE IT closely followed by PANIC reperata & delrons a youth club fave!! :rolleyes:

Spot on with Blanche Carter...but how can anyone not like Panic? Gives me the shivers if I haven't heard it for a long time, reminds me of the very first time I heard it, someone had come back from Wigan and taped the night (this is a few months before I went) and I heard it on there, complete with clapping...fantastic times

Social source share

Spot on with Blanche Carter...but how can anyone not like Panic? Gives me the shivers if I haven't heard it for a long time, reminds me of the very first time I heard it, someone had come back from Wigan and taped the night (this is a few months before I went) and I heard it on there, complete with clapping...fantastic times

Pete for my "15 minutes of fame" (so to speak as a perspective "record dealer") I actually found 7 copies of Reparata and the Delrons- Panic on UK Bell (if my memory serves me right) in the back of a toy shop called Hurleys in Pontypridd,back in the 70's amongst other things......looking back I wish I'd bought the toys.... whistling

Social source share

There are dozens of bad Northern records too many to mention one or two that do spring to mind are Ben Zine - Village Of Tears, The Present - Many's The Slip etc. etc. but the one that stands head and shoulders above the rest for me is the totally naff Blanch Carter - Halos Are For Angels, aweful record.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Been some talk of late about this record and that being ear damage, but with thanks to the mighty members of Soul Source we are now able to hear possibly the worst Northern track ever!

First saw this in a Pat Brady list circa 1990 - The Four Chaps - True Lovers/Will You Or Wont You. Therfore a legit Northern track I'd say.

Plug side is really not bad, but the flip can't be the same group? As a mate of mine said, it sounds like a bunch of East End barrow boys mucking about...

Plug Side (not bad)

f4fd_2.JPG

lady in green - gives me the shivers just mentioning it.

Social source share

As already stated both sides listed in Pat Brady sales list.

With respect it is not you or I that decides what is Northern. That is down to the DJ and the dancers. Not that anyone would ever dream of playing this out, but it's there all the same. If you want to split hairs you could say it's the B side of a Northern track.

Wouldn't worry yourself too much about this being anyones's fave record, most of our members have better taste than that. :rolleyes:

POPPYCOCK.

"not down to you or I that decides what is Northern" - What a load of twaddle. I don't care who has it listed.

I'm gonna play Scaffold - Lilly The Pink, and guess what - if one person dances to it, hey presto it's Northern!

True Lovers, now there's a nice tune - Northern too.

-Kev

Social source share

SORRY MR.SIMS! You are wrong.Four Chaps -"true lovers" is a reallly nice tune,good dancer for the midtempo crew(imho).

The other side should never be played and therefore your membership to the Soul Police will be revoked with immediate effect!!!.(PUT IT DOWN TO "POST EDUARDO SYNDROME")>

PANIC-R & TD'S,is a classic.

3 records are tying for "worst ever"...

SIDNEY BARNES-STANDING ON SOLIDSH*T

DJ GENESIS-TRIBUTE TO SOMEBODY OR OTHER

and the worst till last.....KEN (SAFESTYLE)BARLOW-FOURTH WINDOW FROM THE LEFT.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Agree wid ya comments 100% Ivan :rolleyes:

(Blimey! me an you agreeing! dont tell the Bothy Boys on sunday nite! :unsure: )

steve

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Worst Northern track ever in my opinion is:

MOONLIGHT MUSIC AND YOU- LAURA GREENE.

I'd rather drink from a bucket of vomit than have to sit through the entirety of this track.

Social source share

Plug Side (not bad)

f4fd_2.JPG

Ian... True Lovers is a great record - this is the B side, and just cos it is listed on a site does not mean it is up for that side;' and not any where near what 'we' want - unless 'we' like Hermins Hermits which is what it sounds like...there are many bad 'other' side to good norther records. many of them...

but to highlight a B side is unfair...

I agree with others, lets stick to the sides which are supposed to be northern...

Blance Carter is truely the worst record played on the NS scene and it makes me want to puke

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

NO NO NO NO NO NO.........The above is deffo pants BUT will someone plz put up an mp3 of the worst ever no matter what comes and goes::::::: JULIE HARRIS - The PLAYGROUND there never has been and never will be anything so unsoulful yet labelled as NS!!!!!!

Rick

Social source share

NO NO NO NO NO NO.........The above is deffo pants BUT will someone plz put up an mp3 of the worst ever no matter what comes and goes::::::: JULIE HARRIS - The PLAYGROUND there never has been and never will be anything so unsoulful yet labelled as NS!!!!!!

Rick

Anita Harris............doh!!

Edited by ken
Social source share

Ian... True Lovers is a great record - this is the B side, and just cos it is listed on a site does not mean it is up for that side;' and not any where near what 'we' want - unless 'we' like Hermins Hermits which is what it sounds like...there are many bad 'other' side to good norther records. many of them...

but to highlight a B side is unfair...

I agree with others, lets stick to the sides which are supposed to be northern...

Blance Carter is truely the worst record played on the NS scene and it makes me want to puke

I hear what you say Dave, I do. But I've needed to vent on this for some time. This record is out there, it does exist, it is the b side of a half way not too bad northern track. Because of it's Dick Van Dykeness, it needed to be outed. It has been, so how ever many posts we are in now, as far as I'm concerned at least, it's job done! :lol:

Social source share

I hear what you say Dave, I do. But I've needed to vent on this for some time. This record is out there, it does exist, it is the b side of a half way not too bad northern track. Because of it's Dick Van Dykeness, it needed to be outed. It has been, so how ever many posts we are in now, as far as I'm concerned at least, it's job done! :lol:

What you on,should pack it in Simsy...........If ya want Dicky van dykes,bugger orf to Dicksource tell you what i`ll post the flips of Wigans chosen few or something stupid like that.

Social source share

What you on,should pack it in Simsy...........If ya want Dicky van dykes,bugger orf to Dicksource tell you what i`ll post the flips of Wigans chosen few or something stupid like that.

What are you on about?

You've got the wrong end of the stick. Unless this is another needless wind up post. Again.

Sigh.

Social source share