Eddie Rey "i've Got Something Of Value" Vs. Z.z. Hill "don't Make Promises You Can't Keep"

Weingarden

• Replies 25
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

are there any other pairs of records with the same backing track where the arguably better one (better lead vocal, at any rate) sells for such a tiny fraction of the price of the other one?

Off the top of my head at the mo, the only one I can think of is the Joe Anderson and Ed Summers offerings - and last time I noted, there was no great disparity in price between the two.

Another thing, is Eddie Rey the same Eddie Ray as on Prix???

Social source share

Another thing, is Eddie Rey the same Eddie Ray as on Prix???

Somebody somewhere needs you and Go for yourself Larry Laster, seem to recall they probably have the same backing track, though I'd need to check that one....as my mind might be playing tricks.

Believe Eddie Ray might be Eddie Horan :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

are there any other pairs of records with the same backing track where the arguably better one (better lead vocal, at any rate) sells for such a tiny fraction of the price of the other one?

Tina Turner "Somebody Somewhere Needs You" - IMO - is better than any of the more expensive records which use that rhythm.

L.J. Reynolds & Chocolate Syrup "What's A Matter Baby" p*sses all over Phil Lowman's crappy "Rock Me Till I want No More"

...it's somebody else's turn now...

Social source share

Believe Eddie Ray might be Eddie Horan :rolleyes:

Chrs. You learn something new everyday.

Another two from the same backing track is Lorraine Chandlers 'Tell me your mine' and the Hesitations 'She won't come back'. I think. :D But again, not a massive price disparity between the two.

Social source share

Has anyone got the green re-issue of ER for sale? PM if you have..

Thanks

BazM

Social source share

for price difference there's also the fabulous apollos on valtone vs. the andre williams on ric-tic, but in that case the expensive one is the better record, i'd say.

Doesn't Tim "My side of the tracks" on Celtex share the same backing track as a much more expensive record? Is it Lee Shot Williams "Love now pay later" on Gamma? Or am I thinking of something else?

Greg

Social source share

Guest Revilot1957

i can remember that eddie ray - 'value' coming out on pale lime green True Soul around '77 ???

At the same time as another few songs, one sticking out like a sore thumb in my memory bank being Len Jewell - good lovin'

One minute there's a handfull of copies in the world and a week later some British dealer had found ten copies of each, available at £80 each.

A week later and he'd found another 100 copies of each, available at £20 each.

A week later bla, bla have you got it yet ????

A far bigger sin than the mass pressing of big tunes from the early '70s to '76.

At least you knew what you were getting with them.

Social source share

i can remember that eddie ray - 'value' coming out on pale lime green True Soul around '77 ???

At the same time as another few songs, one sticking out like a sore thumb in my memory bank being Len Jewell - good lovin'

One minute there's a handfull of copies in the world and a week later some British dealer had found ten copies of each, available at £80 each.

A week later and he'd found another 100 copies of each, available at £20 each.

A week later bla, bla have you got it yet ????

A far bigger sin than the mass pressing of big tunes from the early '70s to '76.

At least you knew what you were getting with them.

Think the orig is a yellowy / limey green with a red surround on True Soul. :D Well that's what mines like anyway and I picked it up from Uncle Pat in Leeds back in the early 90s.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Doesn't Tim "My side of the tracks" on Celtex share the same backing track as a much more expensive record? Is it Lee Shot Williams "Love now pay later" on Gamma? Or am I thinking of something else?

Greg

Yes Greg..Tim on Celtex & Lee Shot Williams same backing track..both great tracks.

ZZ Hill/Eddie Rey..tuff,both good..ill go for the cheaper to buy ZZ Hill as ive got a copy!

Agree with Ged,prefer Denise LaSelle/Nolan Chance.

Off the top of my balding head..others that share same backing..

Jimmy Conwell/Len Jewell..OV Wright/Lee Rogers..Four Voices/Chuck Holiday..Soulful Twins/Magnetics..Johnnie Mae Matthews/Platters..Lovemasters/Bobbie Brown..El Anthony/Tomorrows Men..Eddie Parker/Hesitations.

Edited by nick hackett
Social source share

• 4 months later...

Have to agree ZZ far better IMHO Ken

There's also a female version of Don't Make Promises by Susan Taylor on Yorkville (Canadian) different backing to ZZ though

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Chrs. You learn something new everyday.

Another two from the same backing track is Lorraine Chandlers 'Tell me your mine' and the Hesitations 'She won't come back'. I think. :yes: But again, not a massive price disparity between the two.

The cheap version by Four Sonics + 1 on Sepia is great as well .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

The cheap version by Four Sonics + 1 on Sepia is great as well .Best ,Eddie

I used to play Four Sonics+1 early doors at the Legion summer74.

Played Lorraine Chandler 2 years later at the Band Club.

We all played Eddie Ray (me, Ginger, Andy&Phil) at the Band Club.

they all turned out to be Simon,s boots :yes: .

Social source share

Tina Turner "Somebody Somewhere Needs You" - IMO - is better than any of the more expensive records which use that rhythm.

L.J. Reynolds & Chocolate Syrup "What's A Matter Baby" p*sses all over Phil Lowman's crappy "Rock Me Till I want No More"

...it's somebody else's turn now...

Agree Tony, as does Love Foundation-Spot Records. Most exspensive come a poor third place

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert