Working On The Door

Pudsoul

There are dancers, collectors, watchers, talkers, drinkers and imbibers on the soul scene - and then there those who take the money on the door.

Rosemary takes the money on the door at The Harold in Bradford, she worked the door at Cleckheaton last week. Kirsty (McGaun) works the door just about everywhere she goes? Working the door at the 100 club was something of an honour I believe. My mate Brock even travelled all the way from York to Rugby to do the door!

But what possesses a person to want sit in the cold with often only a cash box for company until 10.30pm/4.30am (soul night/nighter) when everyone else is in there dancing/chatting etc?

I've only done it once myself, at a nighter in Cheetham Hill Manchester for Tony 'a-keef-ly' Smith.

Anyone else a regular doorer?

Pudsoul

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

There are dancers, collectors, watchers, talkers, drinkers and imbibers on the soul scene - and then there those who take the money on the door.

Rosemary takes the money on the door at The Harold in Bradford, she worked the door at Cleckheaton last week. Kirsty (McGaun) works the door just about everywhere she goes? Working the door at the 100 club was something of an honour I believe. My mate Brock even travelled all the way from York to Rugby to do the door!

But what possesses a person to want sit in the cold with often only a cash box for company until 10.30pm/4.30am (soul night/nighter) when everyone else is in there dancing/chatting etc?

I've only done it once myself, at a nighter in Cheetham Hill Manchester for Tony 'a-keef-ly' Smith.

Pudsoul

Not taking the entry tax but i,ve worked as a doorman at nighters a few times. I now seem to spend most of my time outside nighters these days. smoking not working . My other half Lou collects the door tax at Winsford and loves been sat ther all night

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

Yep: regularly there every third Saturday at Pilsley. 99.99% of the time people are pleasant and raring to go! I sit inside the main room so don`t miss out on too much; just occasionally though it can be frustrating when theres something played that I`d love to dance to but can`t as theres a crowd of people waiting to pay!

Sharon

Social source share

Working the door at the 100 club was something of an honour I believe. My mate Brock even travelled all the way from York to Rugby to do the door!

Pudsoul

But what Jo forgot to mention is, she doesn't get a choice... laugh.gif

Seriously tho, we only use the door as a base...near to loo's, dance floor, bar etc and we just escape when we feel like it...

Plus we get to meet everyone as they walk in, brilliant I say... :wicked:

Social source share

Guest rosemary

Pudsoul

Hi Dave, I love working on the door meeting and greeting people......... eventhough at the Harold Club it can be cold, enjoyed working the door more at Cleckheaton because I was inside the venue so could hear the excellent music and be able to chat with friends biggrin.gif

Rosemary

Social source share

Hi Dave, I love working on the door meeting and greeting people......... eventhough at the Harold Club it can be cold, enjoyed working the door more at Cleckheaton because I was inside the venue so could hear the excellent music and be able to chat with friends :D

Rosemary

I'm guilty too!.. :thumbup: . A habitual 'door hanger' lol.

I often end up stood on the door chatting to promotors / door people at venue's other than Bury too.

Habit I think!.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

But what Jo forgot to mention is, she doesn't get a choice... :thumbup:

Seriously tho, we only use the door as a base...near to loo's, dance floor, bar etc and we just escape when we feel like it...

Plus we get to meet everyone as they walk in, brilliant I say... :D

I totally agree...in fact i luv my door duties at Rugby....plus eating as much sweets as i can cram into my gob !!!!...do you require my presence on the doors at the next nighter Sian..???...Delxxx

Social source share

I love doing the door at Bidds

Getting paid for hanging around the foyer chatting to folk and having a laugh...

Its what I do at most nighters anyway.

Mace is a little duck to work for too...Treats me good and always thanks me.

Social source share

Hang on a minute!: I`m missing out on something here! Wot ; No spondoolers!!e_1_44.gif

Pay

pay

pay

opened a can of bluddy worms and stuff here

Linda at Sweetsoul does it for the love and a lift home afterwards

also she puts out the flyers

lifts the gear (sound rig) and sometimes does a warm up spot.

and fetches the drinks(pays for em too) and meet and greet all the lovely people who come in.

and all for love

pay.

poisonous word

Social source share

Pudsoul

Quite simple David why I like doing the door, you get to see the nice looking blokes first :thumbup:

Also like Di said you get lots of drinks bought for you. You also get to meet lots of people, well everyone who walks through the door. I dont like doing it for more than a few hours though.

Kx

Social source share

Paid... :D

Del, Jo, Ganche, Cariad, any of you lovely ladies that help, don't start getting ideas, the sweets are plenty payment... :thumbup:

And I am more than satisfied with the sweets and party bags... :D ..Delxxx

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

i actually think working the door or having someone 'front of house' is one of the most important jobs that a promoter should ensure is in place, rather than being the 'short straw' job.

If done properly you gain important information about the night, a friendly assistance always goes down well with punters. Essential in my view.

Social source share

Doing the door was all part of putting the night on, so back home for many years I was a "door bitch" :D for an hour or so at every one of our events. I never minded it early as it gave me a chance to relax with a drink after the running round before doors opened and stress over "will they come" away from the others. Each person through the door, helped aleviate my concern and I smiled more and more.

Hardest thing was that if we weren't on the door or decks - we used to dance every single spare moment, so after a while - sitting on the door while your feed are tapping and your body twitching becomes quite unbearable.

We had a friend volunteer his services (great muscles) and one of my stunning non-soulie friends helped him sometimes because she "loved checking out the spunky guys" and having an excuse to flirt with them :D

On to the UK ...and a short term little mid-week night in London - but it was never a problem in Walthamstow, coz that was free entry. Audra ran around meeting everyone anyway.

On the first night that Karen and I started Boomerang early last year, she kept saying that she was fine to continue on the door as she was having so much fun and talking to so many people. This has continued and it was like a dream come true for me!

She now thinks she's got the fun bit (door & face promo) but I know I've got the fun bit (bookings & web bits). It's like a match made in soul heaven. I sit with her on the door just to hang out now, but she scoots me away after a bit so I don't scare away the punters :thumbup: .

I think the door person must love people and have a very happy disposition (it's no wonder that most are women) - and look like they WANT to be there. They are often the face of the soul night, more so than the dj's or the/other promoters and are an important part of the event.

A nice thread!

Social source share

Doing the door was all part of putting the night on, so back home for many years I was a "door bitch" :shhh: for an hour or so at every one of our events. I never minded it early as it gave me a chance to relax with a drink after the running round before doors opened and stress over "will they come" away from the others. Each person through the door, helped aleviate my concern and I smiled more and more.

Hardest thing was that if we weren't on the door or decks - we used to dance every single spare moment, so after a while - sitting on the door while your feed are tapping and your body twitching becomes quite unbearable.

We had a friend volunteer his services (great muscles) and one of my stunning non-soulie friends helped him sometimes because she "loved checking out the spunky guys" and having an excuse to flirt with them :D

On to the UK ...and a short term little mid-week night in London - but it was never a problem in Walthamstow, coz that was free entry. Audra ran around meeting everyone anyway.

On the first night that Karen and I started Boomerang early last year, she kept saying that she was fine to continue on the door as she was having so much fun and talking to so many people. This has continued and it was like a dream come true for me!

She now thinks she's got the fun bit (door & face promo) but I know I've got the fun bit (bookings & web bits). It's like a match made in soul heaven. I sit with her on the door just to hang out now, but she scoots me away after a bit so I don't scare away the punters :thumbup: .

I think the door person must love people and have a very happy disposition (it's no wonder that most are women) - and look like they WANT to be there. They are often the face of the soul night, more so than the dj's or the/other promoters and are an important part of the event.

A nice thread!

Totally agree and I love your term 'door bitch' lol biggrin.gif

Most of the time when you're on the door you're trying to take money, give change, count how many people are actually coming in (how many are trying to hide behind others and sneak in without paying), have 6 conversations at once and now we have the smoking ban, it's even harder because you've got more people in and out of the building and you're trying to keep tabs on who's paid and who hasn't!... multi tasking on a scale beyond most men me thinks... :D

Jayne.x. :D

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

Totally agree and I love your term 'door bitch' lol :D

Most of the time when you're on the door you're trying to take money, give change, count how many people are actually coming in (how many are trying to hide behind others and sneak in without paying), have 6 conversations at once and now we have the smoking ban, it's even harder because you've got more people in and out of the building and you're trying to keep tabs on who's paid and who hasn't!... multi tasking on a scale beyond most men me thinks... :D Jayne.x. :thumbup:

Absolutely Jayne....,Delxxx

Social source share

When Randy was alive, I did the door once at the 100 club, it was great to be able to say hi to everyone who came in, but frustrated when playing something I wanted to dance too!

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Totally agree and I love your term 'door bitch' lol biggrin.gif

Most of the time when you're on the door you're trying to take money, give change, count how many people are actually coming in (how many are trying to hide behind others and sneak in without paying), have 6 conversations at once and now we have the smoking ban, it's even harder because you've got more people in and out of the building and you're trying to keep tabs on who's paid and who hasn't!... multi tasking on a scale beyond most men me thinks... tongue.gif

Jayne.x. :thumbup:

I was the 'door whore' at These Old Shoes - I also think that having a laydee on the door helps diffuse any potential situations. A smile and a courteous 'members only mate' usually did the trick....if not, I had BIG ROGER as my trusty sidekick in case of leary booted and suited City types. After door duties, I nipped off the door when the top doors were shut to the outside world and I had the last half hour on the decks....so best of both worlds biggrin.gif Jo

Social source share

I was the 'door whore' at These Old Shoes - I also think that having a laydee on the door helps diffuse any potential situations. A smile and a courteous 'members only mate' usually did the trick....if not, I had BIG ROGER as my trusty sidekick in case of leary booted and suited City types. After door duties, I nipped off the door when the top doors were shut to the outside world and I had the last half hour on the decks....so best of both worlds :thumbup: Jo

Agree with you there Jo, I do the door at United Sound of Soul in Holmes Chapel and on our 1st nite we had a couple of locals come in, I let them in as you never know who has been into northern in the past but as is usual they started making a nuisance of themselves that bad that a couple we know said they wouldn't come back again but never mentioned it to us on night when we could have rectified the situation, when I found out I was furious so 2nd nite came and later on they turned up again but I spotted them coming towards the door, I just darted from the otherside of the table and told them straight there was no chance of them getting in obviously they argued for a while but I just pushed them out of the door and shut it behind me, Kev & Martyn just stood back and watched just in case of any trouble but they just left, I think if it had of been a couple of lads on the door they would have argued more and possibly started more trouble. Our first anniversary is in March and they've never been back since.

I sit inside the room so I dont miss out on anything and when I need to dance I leave both my Daughters to take the money, see kids do come in handy sometimes, and personally I enjoy meeting everyone as they come in so I really dont mind sitting on the door all nite.

Sharon

Social source share

i work the door at the hibs supporters club all-dayers in edinburgh but i sit inside the hall to collect the cash so i don't miss any of the sounds. i also do a dj spot so normally someone will take over from me for an hour, but this can mean when i go back to the door after my spot somebody that came in while i was on the decks, and had been out for a smoke will be asked by me for cash then i've got to check with whomever had taken over from me. fortunately didn't have this problem last night as i did the last spot. but we had about 130 people in last night and i reckon over 50% of them smoked and others went out for some fresh air or a chat so it was quite hard trying to remember who had already been in. anybody know where i can get a photographic memory :lol:

Social source share

We used to take it in turns to do the door at Soul in the City at both Nylon and Vivo's. As the numbers dropped at Vivo it became a bit of a chore as they insisted we had the door at ground level effectively 2 floors above where the night took place. Having said that it was great to meet and have an early chat with the patrons.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert