Proffesor Of Soul

arnie j

Eddie Hubbard always does the anorak bit when i need it :rolleyes:

On here its Chalky & Pete Smith, i`m amazed at the stuff they know & this site would be a lot poorer without there contributions.

That's very kind of you Garv :D , got to say John Ridley is the man when it comes to Deep Soul , I'd have to include Tim Brown as well for all types of Soul , always enjoyed his guest spots on Richards show ,a fountain of knowledge .Rob Moss is very knowledgeable when it comes to Detroit , John Anderson must be up there , along with Garry Cape , if only by the sheer number of records they've found .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

• Replies 72
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

apologies if done before but who has the PHD in SOULOLOGY ? the person with that computer brain of all things rare soul,john manship has to be up there doesnt he ? wat u think ?,
Paul Mooney, a man with impeccable taste in REAL soul music and a wealth of knowledge on the subject.

Regards

Kev

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Theres a few who really know their stuff but i always go to the likes of Mr Rimmer, Woody, John Weston, Fudge & Steve C. Mrs Soul is proving very handy recently aswell! :lol:

Social source share

Hi Guys,

Completely inaccurate. Wikepedia at it's worst.

Supremes reached #1 with Baby Love on Stateside 19 Nov 1964

Four Tops reached #1 with Reach Out on Tamla Motown 27 Sep 1966

Smokey and the Miracles reached #1 with TOAC on Tamla Motown on 12 Sep 1970

Mr Rimmer got it right. First time the name of Motown was on a label that reached #1 was The Four Tops. wink.gif:lol:

Are you reading this Chris laugh.gif:ohmy::D:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

top of the class mr rimmer!! it is a quiz question that often pops up!!

usually the question is what was the first motown label no 1

max

Then the answer to that particular question would be:

Mary Wells - My Guy - Motown - 1964

Although I suspect that The Miracles - Shop Around was the first #1 Berry Gordy enjoyed, (1960), but of course that was on the Tamla imprint.

Social source share

Are you reading this Chris :huh::D:D:Dlaugh.giflaugh.gif:P

Max, I texted Dave and he was telling me it was 4 tops and so i texted Dave Lucas who looked on wikepidea thing and said it was Smokey...and as soon as the question was asked i said "Baby love"!

Luckily i went with my own answer......

My Rimmers answer was open to translation but the Wikepedia thng is just plain wrong!

Chris

Social source share

Hi Guys,

Completely inaccurate. Wikepedia at it's worst.

Supremes reached #1 with Baby Love on Stateside 19 Nov 1964

Four Tops reached #1 with Reach Out on Tamla Motown 27 Sep 1966

Smokey and the Miracles reached #1 with TOAC on Tamla Motown on 12 Sep 1970

Mr Rimmer got it right. First time the name of Motown was on a label that reached #1 was The Four Tops. :D:huh:

YES THAT'S RIGHT!!

MOTOWN HAD NO DEAL WITH A UK COMPANY BACK IN THOSE DAYS SO SUPREMES WAS LICENSED

TO STATESIDE LABEL WHO HAD A DEAL WITH E.M.I. RECORDS

MAX

Social source share

Are you reading this Chris :huh::D:D

Max, I texted Dave and he was telling me it was 4 tops and so i texted Dave Lucas who looked on wikepidea thing and said it was Smokey...and as soon as the question was asked i said "Baby love"!

Luckily i went with my own answer......

My Rimmers answer was open to translation but the Wikepedia thng is just plain wrong!

Chris

My answer was not open to translation at all. The Four Tops was the first UK #1 record on a Motown label. There is no doubt about the veracity of that statement. It's true, it's a fact. End of story !

Your attempts to extract yourself from the huge pile of brown sticky stuff you dumped yourself in by attempting to ridicule my answer does not become you. Accept it. You were wrong. You are a muppet ! You will remain a muppet in my estimation until you have made fair and honest reparation.

That's a pint you owe me :D

Muppet laugh.giflaugh.gif

Oh yes, did I mention that you texted me back to inform me that I was wrong and it was Smokey, or had you conveniently forgotten that bit.

Muppet :P

Social source share

I'm humbled to receive so many mentions, I really am. I'm always left in awe by the knowledge of many people on here. And also, my memory is going, previously if you'd ask me what year a particular record came out I'd tell you within 2 seconds, now I'm having to pause and think, and that doesn't bode well for the future.

Now where did I put my slippers..

I can only repeat what Pete says and that I'm humbled to even get a mention. I wish I knew half of some of those mentioned, still a pupil as far as I'm concerned never mind a professor!!! Lots to learn still. blush.gif

Social source share

Thanks Simon, but I'm well down the list laugh.gif I sometimes feel that my memory is failing because I can listen to a record, sing along to all the words, and then can't remember what it is ! When I do remember I then realise I've got a copy, which makes it worse.

DAVE THATS ME TOO, EVEN WORSE WHEN LOOKING THROUGH RECORD BOXES< BUY THE RECORD GET IT HOME AND YOU HAVE ONE ALREADY..........

What I am good at, is not remembering information itself, but remembering where the information is, so I can go and look it up. I'm also a pretty good researcher, so can find information and link odd bits together to form the whole picture.

In terms of remembering record information Johnny Weston, or Woody are the guys I tend to ask because as I've already said I'm hopeless at that sort of thing (Mind you, I could probably tell you all sorts of trivia when someone had indentified the record for me :yes::D )

Social source share

Professer Rimmer, My text to you read "What was the first Motown number one in the UK"?

No mention of labels or such like.

I said it was Smokey because thats what Wiepedia said but my answer on the sheet in the quiz was "baby love" and it was right so who is the muppet now?!

Anyway what you been playing the Richie Adams for, not been shedding out another load of cash for a played out oldie have we!?

I always buy you a pint anyway...have done for 20 odd years...and still waiting for one back!

See you soon..

I`m not playing this any more...

Chris.

Social source share

Professer Rimmer, My text to you read "What was the first Motown number one in the UK"?

No mention of labels or such like.

I said it was Smokey because thats what Wiepedia said but my answer on the sheet in the quiz was "baby love" and it was right so who is the muppet now?!

Anyway what you been playing the Richie Adams for, not been shedding out another load of cash for a played out oldie have we!?

I always buy you a pint anyway...have done for 20 odd years...and still waiting for one back!

See you soon..

I`m not playing this any more...

Chris.

So Motown isn't a label now ??????

Errr, I haven't. I haven't got a copy of Richie Adams

Social source share

I can only repeat what Pete says and that I'm humbled to even get a mention. I wish I knew half of some of those mentioned, still a pupil as far as I'm concerned never mind a professor!!! Lots to learn still. :D

Don't thinks there's been an occasion in three years you've not come back with an answer or a soundfile request mate and thanks for that. :thumbsup: And you're younger than me! How's that work then? Must be a northern thing.. :ohmy:

Pete also and as already mentioned Kev, Ady & Tim..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert