Proffesor Of Soul

arnie j

• Replies 72
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Baz Atkinson never ceases to amaze me with his knowledge.

Chalky

Pete Smith

Tony Rounce

to name a few that on here seem to always giving out info of some kind

Me i know fook all :ohmy:

Social source share

Dave Molloy ... and big Mel from Ormskirk... both never cease to amaze me with their knowledge.

Pete Lawson and Frank Jackson are up there too... sadly no longer with us though.

Got to agree with dave molloy joan, and of course the sadly missed mr lawson, havn`t seen dave for years now is he still out n about? spent many hours talking to ron pedley and mr tony colby they are both up there for me,don`t know baz atkinson that well but looking at the crossover friday section a wealth of knowledge, also ian ohara ex york now in new zealand, there are so many really it would be hard to find one that stands alone, also gary fields these people have been very influential to me :lol:

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

I'll add Roger Banks to the list. :D

A sides B sides, demos, issues, labels, year, pressed on, matrix stamps, pressing plants, town record was recorded in, group members, ex group members, unissued 45's, LP's it's on, realistic values, when, where, why, who, what.....arghhhh I'm confused :lol:

What did you have for your tea Roger yesterday ? Forgot ?? tut tut :lol:

Social source share

Got to agree with dave molloy joan, and of course the sadly missed mr lawson, havn`t seen dave for years now is he still out n about? spent many hours talking to ron pedley and mr tony colby they are both up there for me,don`t know baz atkinson that well but looking at the crossover friday section a wealth of knowledge, also ian ohara ex york now in new zealand, there are so many really it would be hard to find one that stands alone, also gary fields these people have been very influential to me :lol:

Dave got married again last year to a great girl called Julie... he's all loved up bless him!

Was a fantastic day.

He was our Best Man you know... :lol:

Social source share

My Harry is a wealth ov knowledge he's forgotton more than i'll ever know, and i know quite a bit, he never ceases to amaze me with the most unreal information (sometimes at the most inoppertune times :lol: ) haha but hes my hero and anyone who knows him will agree he's got a photographic memory i'm sure a very clever man :lol: luv DI xxxxx

and ov course the living icon that is CHALKY :D xx

Social source share

Pete Smith, Robbo, Bob, Dave Rimmer are my first ports of call when I wrie an article.

Thanks Simon, but I'm well down the list :lol: I sometimes feel that my memory is failing because I can listen to a record, sing along to all the words, and then can't remember what it is ! When I do remember I then realise I've got a copy, which makes it worse.

What I am good at, is not remembering information itself, but remembering where the information is, so I can go and look it up. I'm also a pretty good researcher, so can find information and link odd bits together to form the whole picture.

In terms of remembering record information Johnny Weston, or Woody are the guys I tend to ask because as I've already said I'm hopeless at that sort of thing (Mind you, I could probably tell you all sorts of trivia when someone had indentified the record for me :lol::D )

Social source share

i nominate.

1 John Anderson.

2 Dave Welding.

3 John Manship.

4 Garry Cape.

5 Steve Guanori.

6 Mick smith.

7 Pete Smith.

8 Chalky.

9 Pete Widdison.

10 Taffy/Pete Hulat.

All in no particular order,but a whole lot of knowledge among them all,if ones not sure the others are bound to know.

an addition..

Woody (if youre looking for a tune among 1000's & cant be botherd to look hes the man, a photographic memory of whats in the racks/boxes and in what order a valuable assett for the record hunter.

Toby.

Social source share

Dave got married again last year to a great girl called Julie... he's all loved up bless him!

Was a fantastic day.

He was our Best Man you know... yes.gif

Only just read this thread, and before i started i wondered how many posts before Mr Molloy got a mention, amazing font of knowledge,

Also great to hear he is doing ok, not seen him for too long, :wicked:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Never mind about nominating me (although it's much apprecaited, of course), here's a small list of some people that I know personally, who really do know a lot about all kinds of soul music:

Rob Hughes

Derek Howe

Bill Millar

Billy Vera

Andy Rix

Colin Dilnot

John Marriott

Steve Guarnori

I would be honoured to sit on the same quiz team as any of them, any day of the week.

Social source share

I'm humbled to receive so many mentions, I really am. I'm always left in awe by the knowledge of many people on here. And also, my memory is going, previously if you'd ask me what year a particular record came out I'd tell you within 2 seconds, now I'm having to pause and think, and that doesn't bode well for the future.

Now where did I put my slippers..

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I'm humbled to receive so many mentions, I really am. I'm always left in awe by the knowledge of many people on here. And also, my memory is going, previously if you'd ask me what year a particular record came out I'd tell you within 2 seconds, now I'm having to pause and think, and that doesn't bode well for the future.

Now where did I put my slippers..

They're behind the sofa, next to your copy of "The Enema Bandit"... laugh.gif

Social source share

i nominate.

1 John Anderson.

2 Dave Welding.

3 John Manship.

4 Garry Cape.

5 Steve Guanori.

6 Mick smith.

7 Pete Smith.

8 Chalky.

9 Pete Widdison.

10 Taffy/Pete Hulat.

All in no particular order,but a whole lot of knowledge among them all,if ones not sure the others are bound to know.

an addition..

Woody (if youre looking for a tune among 1000's & cant be botherd to look hes the man, a photographic memory of whats in the racks/boxes and in what order a valuable assett for the record hunter.

Toby.

UR WELL OUT TOBY ADY N KEV

Social source share

lots and lots from my neck of the woods(thats my back covered) but one who knows his stuff is a fine chap called STEVE DAVISON

CHRIS :wicked:

Too right there chris, top lad i was just saying to him at gateshead i remeber when me n you used to talk about ric-tic he`s come on leaps n bounds over the last couple of years, then as you say chris the wealth of knowledge in the north east is phenominal, top place for class music n people thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tim Browns gotta be up there

Cheers Paul

I agree wholeheartedly - unlike some dealers (and believe me, I am not directing this at anyone in particular or, for that matter, at anyone at all!) Brownie is personally all about enjoying the music and is as enthusiastically knowledgeable about the ten quid sounds as he is about the ten grand ones...

Social source share

I must agree with a few comments that if you want to know anything, its very likely that the answer will be found on here.

being

The most amazing question I have ever got an answer to was the details of a cover up played at CWG by Poke, that all I could remember was the line ding ding ding...........................ding ding ding ding ding ding, and a few days later someone posted a sound clip of the tune. AMAZZZZZING.

So I dont know about individuals being brilliant, but the members of this forum, deffo are as a group.

Ed

Social source share

Been thinking about this one and i suppose its all down to the people who youve associated with over the years, we all began with little or no knowledge, and until the age of the computer it was down to wether or not you were dedicated enough to actually sit and listen to your peers, who passed on the knowledge that had been passed on to them possibly in the same way, ive allways found all members of the rare soul scene very accesable to enquiries and have allways been more than happy to pass on there knowledge, so really in that respect for me the answer would have to be the soul scene as a whole and not really one person :D

Social source share

Been thinking about this one and i suppose its all down to the people who youve associated with over the years, we all began with little or no knowledge, and until the age of the computer it was down to wether or not you were dedicated enough to actually sit and listen to your peers,

Agree.

Talk records to my mate John Benson.

It's like sitting in front of a computer :D .

He's managed to store Title, Artist, and Label detail of every record he's ever heard or read about in the past 40 years... between his ears.

Unparalleled in my experience.

Sean

Social source share

Joan you couldnt have picked a better guy . Another few to add to the list is Dave Holt. Brian Rae. Keith Brady. Chico, Mark Speakman. Steve Thomas. God the list is endless

Steve

I'll second that and add..........Pat Brady,Ginger Taylor,Ritchie Andrew,Carl and Maria W,Dave Cawley,Ste Gaskell, to name a few :D

Social source share

apologies if done before but who has the PHD in SOULOLOGY ? the person with that computer brain of all things rare soul,john manship has to be up there doesnt he ? wat u think ?,

Guy Hennigan knew loads of records most people had never heard of in his hayday!

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people who have collected for years who never say anything unless you happen to ask them something at the right time/place!

Some people on "Look In Your Box" really know there stuff.

John Manship is good, because he knows a lot about Northern/Rare Soul, but also he shares his knowledge with the fraternity.

The bootleg/original guide is really valuable because it puts down in PRINT, facts and info that could be lost forever!

Social source share

apologies if done before but who has the PHD in SOULOLOGY ? the person with that computer brain of all things rare soul,john manship has to be up there doesnt he ? wat u think ?,

Too many to name individually ......

I bow down to them , and salute , their respective knowledge on this wonderful music of ours ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

here in melbourne we got vince peach, frank driscoll, & john smoltj :thumbup:

Vee x

Social source share

Rimmer???

You`re having a laugh......!!

I was in a pub quiz last week..."what was the first Motown number one in the UK" came the question......

All my mates look at me, "Baby love" says I...but I`ll send a sneaky text to my mate Dave, he knows everything....

Comes the answer "The four tops- Reach out"!!!!

Luckily i went for my own answer...amoungst a load of texted excuses from the "Encyclapedia of soul"!!!

Chris.

Social source share

Rimmer???

You`re having a laugh......!!

I was in a pub quiz last week..."what was the first Motown number one in the UK" came the question......

All my mates look at me, "Baby love" says I...but I`ll send a sneaky text to my mate Dave, he knows everything....

Comes the answer "The four tops- Reach out"!!!!

Luckily i went for my own answer...amoungst a load of texted excuses from the "Encyclapedia of soul"!!!

Chris.

Except for one small point.....'Baby Love' was on STATESIDE, not Motown, which is why I said The Four Tops.

If you'd asked the right question, you'd have got the right answer, ie which Motown ARTIST had the first number 1 in the UK, not what was the first Motown number 1 in the UK, because Baby Love

WASN'T ON MOTOWN

You muppet

Social source share

WASN'T ON MOTOWN

You muppet

Dave, Strangely Wikepedia or whateve its called gives this information about the first motown record to get to number one in the uk....

"The Tears of a Clown" is a 1967 song by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles for the Tamla (Motown) label, originally released on the 1967 album Make It Happen. The song was re-released in the United Kingdom as a single in September 1970, where it became a number-one hit on the UK singles chart. It was the first Motown hit ever to reach # 1 in Britain. Subsequently, Motown released "The Tears of a Clown" as a single in the United States as well, where it quickly became a number-one hit on the Billboard Hot 100 and Black Singles Chart. This song is an international multi-million seller and a 2002 Grammy Hall of Fame inductee. The single's success caused Miracles lead singer/producer/songwriter Smokey Robinson, who had announced plans to leave the act, to stay with the group until 1972."

Cant all be right can we mate!?

Chris.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

WASN'T ON MOTOWN

You muppet

Dave, Strangely Wikepedia or whateve its called gives this information about the first motown record to get to number one in the uk....

"The Tears of a Clown" is a 1967 song by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles for the Tamla (Motown) label, originally released on the 1967 album Make It Happen. The song was re-released in the United Kingdom as a single in September 1970, where it became a number-one hit on the UK singles chart. It was the first Motown hit ever to reach # 1 in Britain. Subsequently, Motown released "The Tears of a Clown" as a single in the United States as well, where it quickly became a number-one hit on the Billboard Hot 100 and Black Singles Chart. This song is an international multi-million seller and a 2002 Grammy Hall of Fame inductee. The single's success caused Miracles lead singer/producer/songwriter Smokey Robinson, who had announced plans to leave the act, to stay with the group until 1972."

Chris.

Especially whoever wrote this for Wikipedia - I'm sure that there had also been a few other UK Motown # 1's besides "Reach Out", by the time that TOAC added to the tally.

Wikipedia is, I'm afraid, a never ending source of lies and inaccuracies occasionally punctuated by the truth....

Social source share

WASN'T ON MOTOWN

You muppet

Chris.

Hi Guys,

Completely inaccurate. Wikepedia at it's worst.

Supremes reached #1 with Baby Love on Stateside 19 Nov 1964

Four Tops reached #1 with Reach Out on Tamla Motown 27 Sep 1966

Smokey and the Miracles reached #1 with TOAC on Tamla Motown on 12 Sep 1970

Mr Rimmer got it right. First time the name of Motown was on a label that reached #1 was The Four Tops. wink.gif:thumbup:

Social source share

Eddie Hubbard always does the anorak bit when i need it :thumbup:

On here its Chalky & Pete Smith, i`m amazed at the stuff they know & this site would be a lot poorer without there contributions.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert