Best Junk Shop Finds

good angel

Forgot about this one, or 6 :lol: . In the Torch days, after going there the week before, I was looking through a record shop in Leeds (OK, not a junk shop I know) and found 6 copies of 'The Shakers - One wonderful moment' on US import for 50p each. Took them to the Torch that next week and sold them all for £30 each. It was an in demand tune then. Damn good return and £180 in those days was like £5000 now. PUKKA!!!!!

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Not Junk shops exactly but in the 8 years I have been in Canada I have found the following from Circle M - a flea market about 3 miles from home:

2 copies of Doug Banks - Kept On Dancing - 50c each

3, yes 3 copies of Mickie Champion - $1 each

Ray and Dave - Wrong Wrong Wrong - Mica - $1

add to this lots of Northern classics, Reggae, Motown 45's in the 10 - 50 - quid bracket and some pretty rare Garage and Psych stuff as well. It has dropped off recently as there has been an upswing in the amount of people I see there buying and looking for vinyl.

Just recently I picked up 65 UK Reggae 45's from 69-71 for $120, I sold the first couple and made $160 for them.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

her she comes .......the tymes uk issue super condition, had bought a us copy the week before for £30!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: found at gloucester car boot the bloke said " i know its rare,.......it will have to be a fiver" ........bastard :thumbup:

but i had it anyway. :thumbup: .......................swapped it after about 5 years for better by ruby winters, ezzie

Social source share

Found loads of UK Sue, Stax, Motown and other stuff in the early 80s when I was on the 'Rock n Roll' and had the time for hours of sifting through great piles of grubby 45s. I remember when 'Coming home Baby' by Mel Torme was being touted as this big mystery sound in the mod scene and I had to laugh as I had three of them, one of which I gave to a mate for nothing as I regarded it as quite a common record - what a show-off... Also quite a few LPs - Irma Thomas Take a Look, Impressions Keep on Pushing and so on. Also found a lot of stuff that i re-sold at a local 'alternative' record shop like Captain Beefheart demos, Rolling Stones and Who 45s especially. They sold the records no problem for what seemed to me like absurdly over-inflated prices (usually £10 in 1983 prices although the Beefheart went for £25) and kept 10% for themsleves. I always smile or wince when I think of the poor bugger who bought the copy of the Stones' 'Satisfaction' that had "I love Keith" written with ballpen into the actual grooves of the record...how do you grade something like that!

Social source share

Brighton 'Junk Shop Quarter' 1984 - 10p for a warped (but amazingly played flawlessly) 45 on King.................................Roosevelt Matthews 'You Got Me Digging You'!!! Sold for a pleasant £25 to Hert's soul nite promoter extrordinaire the Big 'O'...........................

So, if you're reading this Big ('O' dear i've told a porky) it just shows you shouldn't tell fibbys ! mmm, found it in Davids Bookshop for 50p years ago did we :wicked:

It's ok fingers, he had it in his sales box at Hitchin last year, an issue if I remember correctly, just a shame about the warp, but I did enjoy his little 'fantasy' about finding it for 50p :shades:

Social source share

About 10 years ago.....Timi Yuro - I'll Never etc 10p at a car boot......pretty knackered copy but I thought great as it was around the £100 - 125 mark at the time. About six weeks later picked up a MINT copy which I found in a batch of unplayed Liberty stuff in a second hand shop.....Brenton Wood, Creedance Cleerwater Revival etc then in the middle of this lot the Timi Yuro. All unplayed in original company sleeves. Cost me the equvalent of a quid! Traded the knackered copy and got a bit of cash for £45!! Kept the minter.

Also Midnight - Keep On Walking By, Albert Jones on Tri City and a few other things I can't recall titles of right now for around £1 each about 18mths ago

These are junk shop finds......maybe we could start a new thread with record shop finds!

Mind you be lucky to find a junk shop (not counting charity shops) or record shop these days....rarer than the vinyl!!!!!!!!

Edited by El Corol
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert