Ty Karim

I just spoke with Karime, Kent Harris and Ty's daughter, who told me that her mother passed away 25 years ago on February 16th.

Karime is hoping to get more involved in her parents' music, she is a soul/funk singer herself, resident in London. Her band the Killer Meters are gigging around, Greece this week! Her and her father would love to hear any thoughts on their mum's/wife's recordings.

Coincidentally I'm doing a project on Ty at the moment and could do with hearing some of the 45 mixes to see if they match up to the master tapes we have, so if anyone has the rarer ones I could do with some dubs, I've got the 60s and 70s Lighten Up and the Towana but could do with any others or more info on her. I think Clarkie did an article for Steve's New Backbeat mag in the early 80s.

The master tapes we have just serve to demonstrate what an incredible singer she was.

PM me if you prefer.

Ady

Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I just spoke with Karime, Kent Harris and Ty's daughter, who told me that her mother passed away 25 years ago on February 16th.

Karime is hoping to get more involved in her parents' music, she is a soul/funk singer herself, resident in London. Her band the Killer Meters are gigging around, Greece this week! Her and her father would love to hear any thoughts on their mum's/wife's recordings.

Coincidentally I'm doing a project on Ty at the moment and could do with hearing some of the 45 mixes to see if they match up to the master tapes we have, so if anyone has the rarer ones I could do with some dubs, I've got the 60s and 70s Lighten Up and the Towana but could do with any others or more info on her. I think Clarkie did an article for Steve's New Backbeat mag in the early 80s.

The master tapes we have just serve to demonstrate what an incredible singer she was.

PM me if you prefer.

Ady

Yes he did - Issue 4 I think, he listed all her records as Ty.

Steve

Social source share

PM me if you prefer.

Ady

Sent you an email mate

Dave

Social source share

Her and her father would love to hear any thoughts on their mum's/wife's recordings.

I remember me & Smudge put a request in to John Manship for seven or eight C90 sales tapes in about 1987. This was the only real way were going to get to listen to these tracks over and over in our own time. They were things like Tony Galla, John Bowie, Gene Toones, Doug Banks and also Ty Karim - You Really Made It Good to Me. This last track was most definitely one of the must have biggies on the list. Loved it then and have done ever since. Fantastic track! :hypo:

Ty would have only been gone about four years or so when we first got to hear her music.

Rest in peace Ty Karim.

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

That'd be great Mark, sound and scans please, then i can work out what versions to use. There are 3 completely different versions of Lighten Up Baby. Thanks very much.

Ian the master tape version of YRMIGTMB will be on the next Kent Northern CD.

Consider it done Ady, will do mini disc tomorrow Jac's in bed now lol PM me with which address you want me to send it to, Ace HQ I guess? Just took a couple of quick snaps of the label's hope it help's mate.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

post-1475-1203637876_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1203638207_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Thanks chaps it looks like Jerry Long might be the link there, he's on both of those records. I'd still love to hear the C&C and see the flip too, if anyone is obliging.

It's been on a couple of times, I think I saved the sound file somewhere(quite good I think) and flip label, I'll have a look tonight.

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

Ady I have an issue of the Roach one, do you need sound clips or scans of both sides of this? Think the other side is okay as well.

Good on Yer Jock, I'd love scans and sound files of both sides please. I'll sort you out a special Ace book as I now know you're an avid reader. Pm me your current address somewhere in Yoorp.

Social source share

Wonderful chaps, that's most things I need except the flip of You Just Don't Know, if we include what's arriving through the post.

Oh and i need both sides of the Larry Atkins on Romark just to complete the picture.

Thanks

Ady

Ady will email the scans rather than stick them here, not sure how to put them up so probably safer, will do so in next day or so as will probably be offline for nexr 24 hours or so while I try and set up new laptop!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert