• Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

post-8974-1203454892_thumb.jpg

post-8974-1203454700_thumb.jpg

GIVE ME ANOTEHR CHANCE - PEARL JONES

Magical uptempo Detroit 60's Soul ...never before on vinyl - and a great crossover flip side.

Single coming out on revived Joe Boy/Inferno label in March.

If you want to reserve a copy just send me a PM.

Stock copy black vinyl.

Limited issue WDJ demo red vinyl.

Any chance of a sound snippet Neil.

Cheers

Tabs

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Stock copy - black vinyl - £10

WDJ - red vinyl limited edition - £20

Postage and packing free.

Available in approx 2 weeks. Copies will be shipped out as soon as they arrive.

Pay Pal - bitsnpieces@btinternet.com

If you want to pay by cheque please PM me for details.

Thanks,

Neil

Are we paying for the pressing for you then, mate :yes:

Seriously, "A Dream" is lovely. I'll be wandering over to PayPal sometime in the next 24 hours with your tenner.

Presume that this is the Pearl Jones who was in the original line up of the Glass House, yes?

Social source share

I love, 'Give me another chance' and used to hammer it at the CSC Dome nights back in 2000/2001.

Off on a tangent, here's a rare Sidra number for the collectors to scratch their chins over, not too many of these around at all.

:ohmy:

Been working on a Sidra compilation for Joe Boy/Inferno - and yes, that is one rare 45.

Neil

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

what a tune!!! were as this been hidin

big ste

Is it possible to, please, relay on here any 'known facts' about:

Confirmed existence of any actual original format(s) of these two sides?

I didn't get to the Dome (sorry Mr D etal) so unaware of whether Mr Flynn suggests he owned at some point any original acetate(s) in existence ??

Although Neil responds that 'royalties' are paid to a 'gentleman in Detroit', that is not the concern of my issues. Relevant, I know, but of no consequence whatsoever to my point.

Hootenannie - I'm afraid I'm not privelaged to have experienced the pleasure of any personal introduction and therefore remain unaware of the identity behind this particular SS username. Nonetheless I wonder if they would very kindly allow my impertenence - by clarifying or denying, for certain, the facts surrounding their posted comments & mentioning of acetates (and royalties) ??

Or was it perhaps just clever articulation on your part, and more a designed display of humorous musings particular to your preferences ?

Or, indeed, a 'tongue in cheek' reference as to the actual current residence of any original ,acetate format, disc(s) and ownership of the Title to the said acetate(s) ??

My ever increasing addiction to the drug of 'C-S' (or, Chin-Stroking) forces my cheeky attempt at a 'quick'(but totally satisfying) shortcut to satisfy my necessary 'Fix' , which itself was only induced by the postings (so far) of this thread.. Please Help Me!!

'Desperado' Fingers..

Social source share

post-8974-1207048059_thumb.jpgpost-8974-1207048059_thumb.jpg

I didn't get to the Dome (sorry Mr D etal) so unaware of whether Mr Flynn suggests he owned at some point any original acetate(s) in existence ??

Although Neil responds that 'royalties' are paid to a 'gentleman in Detroit', that is not the concern of my issues. Relevant, I know, but of no consequence whatsoever to my point.

Hootenannie - I'm afraid I'm not privelaged to have experienced the pleasure of any personal introduction and therefore remain unaware of the identity behind this particular SS username. Nonetheless I wonder if they would very kindly allow my impertenence - by clarifying or denying, for certain, the facts surrounding their posted comments & mentioning of acetates (and royalties) ??

Or was it perhaps just clever articulation on your part, and more a designed display of humorous musings particular to your preferences ?

Or, indeed, a 'tongue in cheek' reference as to the actual current residence of any original ,acetate format, disc(s) and ownership of the Title to the said acetate(s) ??

My ever increasing addiction to the drug of 'C-S' (or, Chin-Stroking) forces my cheeky attempt at a 'quick'(but totally satisfying) shortcut to satisfy my necessary 'Fix' , which itself was only induced by the postings (so far) of this thread.. Please Help Me!!

'Desperado' Fingers..

Both tracks are Sidra recordings. They first surfaced on an LP acetate cut in the 60's which (I think) Adey Pountain found some years ago.

Neither track was ever released in the USA.

For some time it was thought that Barbara Mercer was the vocalist. I love "Give Me Another Chance" so much from playing it @ Trentham Gardens all-nighters I had a pic disc vinyl slate cut with Barbara's photo on and I got her to sign it when she appeared at the Northampton Weekender ...but she warned me it wasn't her!

Getting up to date when we decided to revive Joe Boy/Inferno we decided to use our contacts with the owners of Sidra/Drew to kick off with releases on The Precisions and "Give Me Another Chance /"A Dream".

George McGregor was A&R director at Sidra (amongst many other things in Detroit) and kindly agreed to write a foreword for The Precisions album. He is actually married to Barbara Mercer and confirmed that she wasn't the vocalist but that is was Pearl Jones who was involved with Sidra as part of The Embracables.

I think you would find it hard to find a better combination of storming uptempo Detroit on one side and such a great X-over track on the flip.

Good news is that we have some more great unreleased stuff in the pipeline.

All the Best,

Neil

PS - The guys who owns the Sidra catalogue found a copy of "Why Girl" - The Precisions on green vinyl. He cannot remember how many were manufactured. Nobody I show it to you has ever seen another one, but does anyone out there know of other copies in existence?

Social source share

PS - The guys who owns the Sidra catalogue found a copy of "Why Girl" - The Precisions on green vinyl. He cannot remember how many were manufactured. Nobody I show it to you has ever seen another one, but does anyone out there know of other copies in existence?

I think Jim Wensiora had a copy of that in his collection, so it would have most likely come from John Manship or Dave Raistrick. Both on here so give us a shout .

Rob & Karen

Social source share

]

'Desperado' Fingers..

Both tracks are Sidra recordings. They first surfaced on an LP acetate cut in the 60's which (I think) Adey Pountain found some years ago.

For some time it was thought that Barbara Mercer was the vocalist. I love "Give Me Another Chance" so much from playing it @ Trentham Gardens all-nighters I had a pic disc vinyl slate cut with Barbara's photo on and I got her to sign it when she appeared at the Northampton Weekender ...but she warned me it wasn't her!

Getting up to date when we decided to revive Joe Boy/Inferno we decided to use our contacts with the owners of Sidra/Drew to kick off with releases on The Precisions and "Give Me Another Chance /"A Dream".

George McGregor was A&R director at Sidra (amongst many other things in Detroit) and kindly agreed to write a foreword for The Precisions album. He is actually married to Barbara Mercer and confirmed that she wasn't the vocalist but that is was Pearl Jones who was involved with Sidra as part of The Embracables.

I think you would find it hard to find a better combination of storming uptempo Detroit on one side and such a great X-over track on the flip.

Good news is that we have some more great unreleased stuff in the pipeline.

All the Best,

Neil

With regards to precisions neil, i heard about this some time ago and every time i mentioned it was just laughed off the planet, at last some verification, can`t wait to see a certain person :D

Social source share

At last a sound bite of both sides attached. The red vinyl promos are now in stock and available from our ebay shop, just follow the link

https://stores.ebay.co.uk/45stogo

The stock copies, on black vinyl, will be another couple of weeks.

Pearl_Jones_Mix.mp3

post-10325-1206109669_thumb.jpg

Couldn't find it on the site? Maybe I'm a thicko but I couldn't find a link to the Pearl Jones disc?

Social source share

I think you'll find it was Adey Pierce who found the LP

Regards

Paul

Social source share

I think you'll find it was Adey Pierce who found the LP

Regards

Paul

Apologies to Adey Pierce.

Neil

Social source share

Adey Pierce got the 12" Acetate off someone related to someone involved with "Sidra" (if you know what I mean) as well as at least 1 copy of the tough "Gwen Owens" on "Velgo". The Acetate has a prominent hiss throughout, and unless it's my system (I did have the acetate in my posession at one stage) it's pretty much unplayable, but it is a fantastic and historic piece of memorabilia, which I could not justify keeping, so off to E Bay it went. Unfortunately there seems to be a little confusion regarding acetates - If you own an acetate (even if it contains an unissued track) it doesn't follow that you legally own any rights to that piece of music, or does it - I think you just own "a disc", and nothing more, am I right?

Des Parker

Social source share

Adey Pierce got the 12" Acetate off someone related to someone involved with "Sidra" (if you know what I mean) as well as at least 1 copy of the tough "Gwen Owens" on "Velgo". The Acetate has a prominent hiss throughout, and unless it's my system (I did have the acetate in my posession at one stage) it's pretty much unplayable, but it is a fantastic and historic piece of memorabilia, which I could not justify keeping, so off to E Bay it went. Unfortunately there seems to be a little confusion regarding acetates - If you own an acetate (even if it contains an unissued track) it doesn't follow that you legally own any rights to that piece of music, or does it - I think you just own "a disc", and nothing more, am I right?

Des Parker

Hi Des,

I am only a novice, as many will know, but would think that it infers no rights to the song itself only the medium on which it is cut.In other words the acetate is yours to buy and sell but not reproduce without permission. Intellectual property laws, mean that the writer always owns the song unless they sold the rights to a third party (possibly a recording studio or publisher or record label). Even in many of those cases there can be a cut off period where it reverts to the original writer. The Presley estate was an example where the songs had a finite period of sole use and reprodcution by the Presley estate only or by contract to them I believe.

I am no expert but did do a little digging on it last year. I am positive there are many more enlighted than me that will correct any misconceptions I may have on the matter.

Mark.

Social source share

A UK (for instance) record collector who just owns an acetate of (in this case) 60's Detroit recordings would have abolutely no rights to the recordings on the acetate. Why would/should they? It's like saying if you have a rare Man U football programme with a picture of the stadium on it you own Old Trafford.

The writer of a song owns the copyright on the composition and normally assigns these rights to a music publisher who looks after those rights for the writer.Or the writer may choose to administer those rights themselves.

The writer of a song holds no rights to a master recording of his song unless the writer is also the recording artist or owns the master recording, but will earn from his or her song being recorded via mechanical (sales) and performance (broadcasts) rights.

On the acetate we are talking about George McGregor wrote The Precisions "I Do, Don't You" and produced the the track. In fact he still has the original multi-track of the recording. But as he did it for Sidra he has no ownership of the intellectual property rights to the master recording.

All the Best,

Neil

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert