Tainted Love Inst

Ian Dewhirst

I was just going through some 12"'s to answer a question on another forum and I came across a promo-only 1982 remix of the original "Tainted Love" - Gloria Jones (A.V.I.-PRO-12-338-D) which has a straight instrumental of the original version on the B side. I've never heard it before even though it's been on my shelves 25 years!

Is it generally known?

Ian D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I was just going through some 12"'s to answer a question on another forum and I came across a promo-only 1982 remix of the original "Tainted Love" - Gloria Jones (A.V.I.-PRO-12-338-D) which has a straight instrumental of the original version on the B side. I've never heard it before even though it's been on my shelves 25 years!

Is it generally known?

Ian D

Remixes of " TL " c/w " My Bad Boy's Coming Home " were released as both a U.S. 45 ( AVI # 338 ) , and a U.S. 12" ( AVI # 340 ) .......

The 12" you have - AVI PRO 12 338 D - is not listed on any of the AVI discographies I have , and If I recall , the U.S. release for the disc , as with several others on AVI around the same time , had something to do with Ian Levine .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Remixes of " TL " c/w " My Bad Boy's Coming Home " were released as both a U.S. 45 ( AVI # 338 ) , and a U.S. 12" ( AVI # 340 ) .......

The 12" you have - AVI PRO 12 338 D - is not listed on any of the AVI discographies I have , and If I recall , the U.S. release for the disc , as with several others on AVI around the same time , had something to do with Ian Levine .......

Malc Burton

Hi Malc,

No, this one's nout to do with the rotund one. The only connection would be Rick Gianatos who mixed most of Levine's stuff at the time. It looks like this came out in '82 and was obviously promoed because of the success of the Soft Cell version.

The A side is simply an extended version of "Tainted Love" (4:44) with the bass and drums brought up but the surprise is the instrumental which weighs in @ 3:15 and sounds like the straight instrumental version of the original.

I've not seen another one anywhere - it's in a white sleeve with red lettering with the A.V.I. logo and address on it. Weird ay?

Ian D

Social source share

Hi Malc,

No, this one's nout to do with the rotund one. The only connection would be Rick Gianatos who mixed most of Levine's stuff at the time. It looks like this came out in '82 and was obviously promoed because of the success of the Soft Cell version.

The A side is simply an extended version of "Tainted Love" (4:44) with the bass and drums brought up but the surprise is the instrumental which weighs in @ 3:15 and sounds like the straight instrumental version of the original.

I've not seen another one anywhere - it's in a white sleeve with red lettering with the A.V.I. logo and address on it. Weird ay?

Ian D

The only AVI promo 12" I have come across , were El Coco " Cocomotion " ( AVI # 294 ) , and David Benoit " Life Is Like A Samba " ( AVI # 284 ) ........

Unlike your GJ , these were in plain white sleeves without any logo or other information .......

The odd - ball release on AVI was " Bachelor Girls " / The Floral Dance " by The Brighouse & Rastrick Band ( sans

" Brass " in their name ) , on AVI # 234 ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

The only AVI promo 12" I have come across , were El Coco " Cocomotion " ( AVI # 294 ) , and David Benoit " Life Is Like A Samba " ( AVI # 284 ) ........

Unlike your GJ , these were in plain white sleeves without any logo or other information .......

The odd - ball release on AVI was " Bachelor Girls " / The Floral Dance " by The Brighouse & Rastrick Band ( sans

Malc Burton

Wow. Could be big in Brighouse LOL.

The leader of the The Brighouse & Rastrick Band was one Roy Newsome who used to be my Music Teacher @ Mirfield Grammar.

How's that for six degrees of separation?

Ian D :D

Social source share

Wow. Could be big in Brighouse LOL.

The leader of the The Brighouse & Rastrick Band was one Roy Newsome who used to be my Music Teacher @ Mirfield Grammar.

How's that for six degrees of separation?

Ian D :rolleyes:

Obviously Mr Newsome succeeded in teaching you well , young Foggy , helping you make it in the music business - as

a DJ * .......

( * Despite JM stating otherwise ) .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Malc Burton

"24 Hours Of Day" - LJ Johnson is on AVI Promo 12"..

The instrumetnal of "Come Go With Me" is better than the inst of "Tainted Love".

AVI got paid a nice royalty from me for the sales we did of "Tainted Love" on Inferno 12" and 45 after the Soft Cell hit.

Neil

Social source share

The instrumetnal of "Come Go With Me" is better than the inst of "Tainted Love".

AVI got paid a nice royalty from me for the sales we did of "Tainted Love" on Inferno 12" and 45 after the Soft Cell hit.

Hmm - wonder how much they got from the remix of Kelly Rowland "Stolen" which borrowed the Tainted Love backing track?

Social source share

Is it generally known?

Ian D

There was a CD going around a couple of years ago with remixes of tained love, come go, plus the instrumentals, but I don't know if they were the same length, mix etc of your 12"

Social source share

Neil

Hi Neil ......

What I should have put was " the only AVI 12" I have seen " : I know there will be other 12" promos on AVI ; apologies for the confusion .....

I have not heard the instrumental to TL , so I cannot comment on it , but the instrumental of CGWM is VG .......

Why did you have to pay AVI royalties for TL ? Did they own the rights to Champion ? ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert