The Four Voices

Ste Henderson

I wasn't suggesting the grooves were different, I was suggesting that the outer edge and thickness and feel of the vinyl might be different.

Yeah, I see what Seb is going on about the bevelled edge too. He is on about the run in edge is he not?

Yup, it would be nice to know when these thing were pressed!

Will we ever really know?

Social source share

• Replies 70
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the stampers press molten vinyl beads together to form the record?

You are not wrong its pellets and its a gentle squeezing process, stampers come together pellets are heated and pumped in then it splits apart, trimmed up and labelled.

So it should be an idetical twin to the original so if they used say the master tapes then that's a different thing all together.

some other info about vinyl....

Usually pressed by Compression Moulding which allows the label to be an integral part of the pressing itself. This process also requires that there be extra material which spills out the sides of the press, therefore this extra material is routinely ground up and re-used. Because vinyl does not re-heat and re-cool to a smooth, glossy surface, the excessive use of re-grind mixed in with Virgin Vinyl can account for the inherently noisy surface of even unplayed Mint examples of the cheap pressings that some record companies used. Noise can be seen AND HEARD by looking at and/or playing the un-grooved surface of the lead-in and lead-out areas. If this area looks or sounds grainy, then the grooves will also have some of this grainy background sound. The stampers used for the compression moulding process will start to break down after only 1,000 pressings because they are forced to expand and contract when heated by steam at the start of the pressing cycle and then cooled to solidify the record. Some companies routinely overused their stampers.

The 90's is I think the first time I recall seeing one of the gold presses.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I wasn't suggesting the grooves were different, I was suggesting that the outer edge and thickness and feel of the vinyl might be different.

I don't think the original stampers were used, which would explain the bevelled edge and different look of the gold label one. I have never compared the two (three?) pressings side by side but the green original seems to have louder and better sound compared to the gold ones I have seen and heard.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I think the grooves are different too.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

This was a Re-issue and was sold in the US. The record had been indemand with US soul harmony collectors long before it was indemand over here. Many of the 60's/70's Doo Wop collectors over there started collecting soul harmony records as a natural progression. Guys like Jeff Beckman had major collection with many of the rarest northern tunes in, way back then and many the UK still hadn't discovered.

It always amazes me that people over here think we discovered everything first. Although they have a completely different scene over there, there have been many major collectors of rare soul in the states as long as there have been here. Infact many UK dealers as early as the 70's knew these guys and would visit them to find new tunes.

The thing I can't figure on this "legal re-issue" is if it was repressed for the group collectors then why didn't their other Voice release "Summer Kind Of Love" get a repress at the same time. SKOL is far more of a group harmony collector sound than YLIGS, and I would had said equally as tough to find.

I'm still with the sceptics on this, and am far more inclined to believe it was re-pressed more recently than the the late 70's, legal or not for the UK scene. If they were around since the early 70's then it's hard to believe that only turned up "recently" with our friend from Vegas.

Edited by Wrongcrowd
Social source share

The thing I can't figure on this "legal re-issue" is if it was repressed for the group collectors then why didn't their other Voice release "Summer Kind Of Love" get a repress at the same time. SKOL is far more of a group harmony collector sound than YLIGS, and I've had said equally as tough to find.

I'm still with the sceptics on this, and am far more inclined to believe it was re-pressed more recently than the the late 70's, legal or not for the UK scene. If they were around since the early 70's then it's hard to believe that only turned up "recently" with our friend from Vegas.

Cliff i`ve just dug out the "SKOL/WALITG" and noticed it has a "Archer" stamp rather than the "NM" stamp,i assume the Green copy of "YLIGS/WALH" has a "NM" stamp rather than the "Archer" stamp,also i think the Gold copys were pressed up in the mid to late 90s.

Dave f..........

Social source share

Cliff i`ve just dug out the "SKOL/WALITG" and noticed it has a "Archer" stamp rather than the "NM" stamp,i assume the Green copy of "YLIGS/WALH" has a "NM" stamp rather than the "Archer" stamp,also i think the Gold copys were pressed up in the mid to late 90s.

Dave f..........

Yep, you're right Dave Nashville Matrix on YLIGS, though publishing credits are the same, and the release numbers are consecutive (which is quite amazing for small labels :lol: )....not convinced mate... :lol:

Social source share

• 7 years later...

On 2/19/2008 at 15:15, Dave Thorley said:

This was a Re-issue and was sold in the US. The record had been in demand with US soul harmony collectors long before it was in demand over here. Many of the 60's/70's Doo Wop collectors over there started collecting soul harmony records as a natural progression. Guys like Jeff Beckman had major collection with many of the rarest northern tunes in, way back then and many the UK still hadn't discovered.

It always amazes me that people over here think we discovered everything first. Although they have a completely different scene over there, there have been many major collectors of rare soul in the states as long as there have been here. In fact many UK dealers as early as the 70's knew these guys and would visit them to find new tunes.

Yes. I'M one of those blokes.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert