Ian Levine Remake Of Ritz Classic

At the risk of starting World War 3 can I just say that having heard Ian Levine's remake of Evelyn Thomas "My Heads In The Stars" it's pretty damn good.

The new version is by Gee Morris who was in Innocence.

I am always confused as to why the Evelyn Thomas original is never mentioned when people talk about classics from the Manchester Ritz All-Dayers.

"My Head's In The Stars" was one of those 70's floaters that mixed in great next to Billy Woods, Herb Ward Jimmy Burns, Idle Few, Bobby Hutton etc on Sunday afternons at The Ritz.

LJ Johnson's version of "24 Hours A Day" is another one that seems to have been overlooked. I played at that Ritz revival all-dayer-nighter 5 or so years ago and was surprised how many people came up to ask which version it was. It definitely got its fair share of plays on AVI 12" at the All-dayers.

Social source share

• Replies 40
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

At the risk of starting World War 3 can I just say that having heard Ian Levine's remake of Evelyn Thomas "My Heads In The Stars" it's pretty damn good.

The new version is by Gee Morris who was in Innocence.

I am always confused as to why the Evelyn Thomas original is never mentioned when people talk about classics from the Manchester Ritz All-Dayers.

"My Head's In The Stars" was one of those 70's floaters that mixed in great next to Billy Woods, Herb Ward Jimmy Burns, Idle Few, Bobby Hutton etc on Sunday afternons at The Ritz.

LJ Johnson's version of "24 Hours A Day" is another one that seems to have been overlooked. I played at that Ritz revival all-dayer-nighter 5 or so years ago and was surprised how many people came up to ask which version it was. It definitely got its fair share of plays on AVI 12" at the All-dayers.

Ian does some wonderful stuff looking forward to working with him on some new things.

Social source share

I noticed a few weeks ago a review of the "Northern Soul" cd he was ranting about a while ago , appears to have been renamed "Disco 2008".

Derek

This is completely wrong , they was two different albums one called Northern soul 2007 and the other Disco 2008 and in two weeks Ian as a new CD release out called " Yesterday and Tomorrow "

">
Social source share

Yer avvin a tin baff, aincha?

Just watched the trailer you posted..... 9 minutes of my life i'll never get back wasted. angry.gif

It was only 9 minutes ?

It seemed like a lifetime .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

If you like that sort of Soul less computerised music, fair enough but personally I find it an insult to the fine artists

who deserve a better backing than that.

Would it significantly cut down the profits to employ humans to play actual instruments

Great soul singers and good songs spoilt by Metal Mickey!!

wink.gif

Social source share

Guest Glynn Jones

Where was Rick Astley & Sonia, then???

Only watched a couple a mins & sounds just like S.A.W. KAK!

Edited by Glynn Jones
Social source share

If you like that sort of Soul less computerised music, fair enough but personally I find it an insult to the fine artists

Would it significantly cut down the profits to employ humans to play actual instruments

wink.gif

What has "My Head's In The Stars" got to do with computerised music?.

It's got the live instruments - played by top session players (ie humans) - from the seventies master tape from the sound of it?

And you're not saying "24 Hours A Day" by Barbara Pennington or LJ Johnson are computerised are you? There's a massive strings section on them both - played by human beings, arranged by human beings.

I thought "Standing On Solid Ground" was spoilt by the backing track and could have done, as you say, with some live players.

But when you look at for instance "Baby I'm Still The Same Man" - James Wells, there's virtually a whole orchestra on that and it's got nothing to do with computers.

Danny Leake and Paul Wilson, who Ian worked with in the seventies on lots of stuff, were brilliant arrangers of music played live, they were competing with the likes of Vince Montana at Salsoul so they had to be.

All the Best,

Neil

Social source share

It's got the live instruments - played by top session players (ie humans) - from the seventies master tape from the sound of it?

And you're not saying "24 Hours A Day" by Barbara Pennington or LJ Johnson are computerised are you? There's a massive strings section on them both - played by human beings, arranged by human beings.

I thought "Standing On Solid Ground" was spoilt by the backing track and could have done, as you say, with some live players.

But when you look at for instance "Baby I'm Still The Same Man" - James Wells, there's virtually a whole orchestra on that and it's got nothing to do with computers.

Danny Leake and Paul Wilson, who Ian worked with in the seventies on lots of stuff, were brilliant arrangers of music played live, they were competing with the likes of Vince Montana at Salsoul so they had to be.

All the Best,

Neil

The thread has turned into a predictable Levine Good / Crap. All I want to hear right now is the "My head in the stars" track. Soundclip pleeeeeezzz, thks

Social source share

:unsure:

Listen again Steve. Those are real strings, real brass and real keyboards. The stuff he did in the 70's featured the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and players like Patrick Adams and Stan Lucas - long before synths came into play. You may not like the songs but these are all real instruments unless my ears are deceiving me............

Best,

Ian D smile.gif

Social source share

I for one will be buying it.

Doris Jones - No way out has always been one of my alll time favourites.

For those of us lucky enough to see them live at the Ritz in the 70s Levine was far ahead of his timeand very few complained about LJ Johnstons - Your magic put aspell on me (even if it did sound like Living for the city speeded up) the oldies crew loved it just as much as the newies crew!

Social source share

This is completely wrong , they was two different albums one called Northern soul 2007 and the other Disco 2008 and in two weeks Ian as a new CD release out called " Yesterday and Tomorrow "

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

On a cold dark night some years ago in a swanky flat in North London we see our hero Ian talking to Fingers the Scroat;

Fingers - Honest Ian, it's the dog bollox! With this new cam corder thing ya can do absolutely every thing!

Ian- Every thing?

Fingers - Honest guv, any thing!

Ian- Wott ya mean you can add the swirly stuff behind the singer?

Fingers - It's only got a fookin button on the side called swirly stuff adder!!

Ian- wott about spirally shiny effects, it won't have them will it?

Fingers - spirally shiny effects, spirally shiny effects it's got a special focus lens especially for spirally shiny effects.

Ian- Well wott if I want to say do a recording of a singer with loads of different swirls, sparkles, stars, water drips, mirrors, spirals, rainbows and zooming in and out stuff/

Fingers - easy peasy Japanesey Mr Ian, just turn the dial named tacky, the more ya turn the tackier it gets.

Ian- Brilliant Fingers, just what I wanted, now were did I put that drum machine? Judy da ya remember the words to Weekspot?

Social source share

Guest mel brat

All the Best,

Neil

Wish someone would (legally!) issue the Ron Chaney Experience "Come On Experience" acetate! Best I've heard from Ian. Fabulous Mecca style Jazz/Funk tune.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest Glynn Jones

On a cold dark night some years ago in a swanky flat in North London we see our hero Ian talking to Fingers the Scroat;

Fingers - Honest Ian, it's the dog bollox! With this new cam corder thing ya can do absolutely every thing!

Ian- Every thing?

Fingers - spirally shiny effects, spirally shiny effects it's got a special focus lens especially for spirally shiny effects.

Ian- Well wott if I want to say do a recording of a singer with loads of different swirls, sparkles, stars, water drips, mirrors, spirals, rainbows and zooming in and out stuff/

Fingers - easy peasy Japanesey Mr Ian, just turn the dial named tacky, the more ya turn the tackier it gets.

Ian- Brilliant Fingers, just what I wanted, now were did I put that drum machine? Judy da ya remember the words to Weekspot?

:P:D:shades:

rofpmsl

Social source share

Wish someone would (legally!) issue the Ron Chaney Experience "Come On Experience" acetate! Best I've heard from Ian. Fabulous Mecca style Jazz/Funk tune.

I've got that acetate, got it in thre 70's. and hung on to it, got it from Ian but it's not his producion is it, think it is Danny Leake production?.

Social source share

No matter what IL did would ever be accepted on this scene now, by a large amount of its members.

It must be his life long ambition to actually make a tune that would be accepted by all, but I cant see it happening.

If anything his output is going backwards. Some of the tunes mentioned went down well with young kids fresh to the scene back in the 70s like me, but the Northern Soul 2007 experience is just awful.

Yet Duffy and Amy W seem to be nearer the mark, so maybe IL just he needs the right support.

At the end of the day, there is enough material coming out naturally or still yet to be discoverd without trying to produce ready made Northern Soul in my opinion.

IL should just accept his place on the scene as a former icon, and not spoil it by putting out this stuff targetted at a scene that does not want it.

Ed

Social source share

I didnt have the time nor the patience to sit and listen to 9 minutes of what at 1st I thought was nothing better than Europap! and after a 2nd "sitting"....giving it my full nine minutes of attention ive come to the conclution that I would rather eat my own Man-Vegetables than insult my eardrums with this PWL wannabe!

Neil.....no offence mate, this thread is about opinions and if we all agreed about every record the scene would be boring.

"What has "My Head's In The Stars" got to do with computerised music?"

Its called a "Drum Machine" and this stick of Blackpool Rock has it written all the way through it!

Ian......Real strings and keyboards maybe but the point is they are mostly ruined by that stupid bloke at the front with his finger up his "Beat Box"

They can employ a String and Brass section but the Drummer missed the bus?

Or maybe im too much of a traditionalist?

Pikey got it spot on!

I have to add that I realise this forum is called Soul Source and not "Northern"Soul Source

Im just telling it like it feels in my case....I respect others opinions and I hope the same principle works for all!

:thumbsup:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Just woke up this morning and I have Gee Morris - My Head's In The Stars playing in a loop!! I love it!!! Not too keen on the video but it's a lot better than the one I did last time me n Missus Imber were in Majorca. This is a good record and I want to dance to it.

Listen to it again, you may get yer toes tapping. I think it ace!!

Social source share

Guest posstot

wink.gif

Metal Mickey...PML :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: .

I have never been able to understand Mr?Levine......Whilst i can appreciate all the very hard work he has put into finding artists and recording them....And importantly these artists receiving some royalties(at least I f**king hope so) from whatever sales may have filterred back as profit?? It has always seemed to me, that however good his intentions are, publicly...the music he "re-makes", "ON COMPUTER", is not about a love affair...It's about striving to be a modern day Berry Gordy, and portray yourself as that....to be considered important in the music industry...ON THE BACKS OF OTHERS!!!

If that wasn't the case...you'd have thought he'd have either bought a new computer with a more authentic sound..or used properly trained musicians....or would that take away the "levine" sound....he seems to think works.

It may work to a load of pop wallies, and he may gain commercial success with it...yet as regarding a true Soulful Music............He's havin' a tin bath Ain't he.

alledgidly...alegedly...alledgadbly..............SO CALLED!

Congratulations on all the hard work....When do you retire!!

( I'm very sorry, i don't wish to upset anyone with my opinions..but his, so called, opinion of "soul music"?? has been upsetting me for years....so p*ss off)

Social source share

Remember when Berry Gordy was in full tilt the musicians artists composers and performers where getting paid next to fook all. If first rate talented sessions musicians where readily available now the music industry would sound less contrived as it does now but the fact remain that computerised compositions are done for a number of reasons, some do it coz they want that sound others because they have to.

To the less travelled soul fan, most Motown sounds the same, because most Motown does sound the same. I'm sure berry Gordy would have used the new technology if it was available as a cheaper viable option?

Social source share

well I just watched the full 9 minutes of that .... :lol:

and I saw

x2 Diana Ross lookalikes

x1 weathergirls lookalikes

x1 Stevie wonder lookalike

x1 look at the lovely boyz in their y fronts backdrop

x1 Shaun mcgowen lookalike ( he must have fallen out of the ugly tree and hit every branch)

x1 resembling Michael Ball lookalike.

x1 Pepsi and Shirley lookalike.

oh and of course a cd aimed at those in the 'general' market who like to dance around thier handbags in high heels whatever the gender.

Social source share

Ian- Every thing?

Quality! :lol: Though get it factually correct please, the flat would be in WEST London, don't you know nowt about IL? :lol:

The updated version of 'On A Crowded Street' is bloody good though, as are a few of the other tracks imho.

Edited by Soulsorts
Social source share

well I just watched the full 9 minutes of that .... :lol:

and I saw

x2 Diana Ross lookalikes

x1 Shaun mcgowen lookalike ( he must have fallen out of the ugly tree and hit every branch)

oh and of course a cd aimed at those in the 'general' market who like to dance around thier handbags in high heels whatever the gender.

:lol:

Social source share

well I just watched the full 9 minutes of that .... :thumbsup:

and I saw

x2 Diana Ross lookalikes

Some nice chests displayed on the trailer - and I do not mean one of them being on that chap ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest mel brat

I've checked and it's nothing to do with Danny Leake , it's a Paul Wilson production done before he worked with Ian.

Neil

Right. Wonder if there's a 12" mix out there?? Get on the blower to Paul Wilson right now Neil, and get him to release it, just for me!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert