Keep My Woman Home Vs Give In

Dean

I'll start with the usual apology, sorry if this has been discussed and I've missed it, or if it's so obvious I should be flogged for asking the question..........But ........

Is there a link between Danny White - Keep My Woman Home (Hayes-Porter) and The Webs - Give In (Robert Bateman - Lou Courtney). Both NYC recordings, Atlas and Popside. Too similar to be coincidence??

Sorry unable to post sound, but if anyone can help .......... Just curious. Dean

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

i thought danny white was a west coast artist? or at least atlas a west coast label?

No, he was from New Orleans and many of his 45s are on New Orleans/Louisiana labels.

Atlas was a New York label.

Check out the Danny White CD on Kent for the full story.

I have a very strong feeling that the original label for "Keep My Woman Home" was ATTERU and not ATLAS, but the liner notes to that CD tells a different story so perhaps Jeff Hannusch or Tony Rounce knows something that I don't. The sound quality on the Atteru release is much clearer than either the Atlas, Sue UK or Unity issues.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

i thought danny white was a west coast artist? or at least atlas a west coast label?

anyway, apart from that the only connection i see between both tracks is that danny sings "give in, give in" just before he sings "keep my woman home"...

Don't you think the backing sounds very similar too, sounds like you could sing one over the other? I'll get my ears syringed I think

Social source share

soundfile for the webs track anyone? i guess i got it all wrong, the song i was thinking about was probably something else.

and of course, danny white wasn't west coast. i got confused by his releases on frisco which i thought was a san francisco label. of course it's new orleans frusty2.gif

Social source share

Guest mel brat

... The sound quality on the Atteru release is much clearer than either the Atlas, Sue UK or Unity issues.

...but it's coolest on SUE!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

The Atteru release looks like it was pressed by Atlantic. That would make some degree of sense given the involvement of prominent Stax figures in the writing and production of the record. The ballad side I'm Dedicating My Life is one of my favourite Stax productions. Interesting that the sound quality on the Atteru release is better than any of the other issues. I'll have to get one...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

That's an interesting conjecture - but Atlantic didn't actually own a pressing plant of their own, they simply used the same ones that many others did in various parts of the USA. It's probably just a coincidence that the Atteru record looks like an "Atlantic pressing" -there's nothing on the label to indicate that there was any kind of distribution connection between the two labels.

Danny White was just an 'oustide job' for Stax staffers Isaac Hayes and David Porter. None of the other recordings they made with him were done at Stax (they were actually done at Royal Studios, like Danny's Decca 45s) and I guess that these were done there out of convenience as much as anything else.

However you take your southern soul, this is a fantastic double sider, in any event...

Social source share

If anyone has an Atteru release it would be really helpful if they would be kind enough to post the matrices and pressing marks in the run-out. Fascinating to find out that it was made at Royal Studios, Tony. I called it a Stax production because of the Hayes-Porter connection. I wonder what the personnel on the session was? Dated around 1965 this would have been some years before Royal had developed its patented studio sound as immortalised on the classic Hi records of the company's 'soul' period. My guess is some conglomeration of the Stax house band and some of the musicians who went on to be the American Studios band.

Social source share

And I am sure Tony and Ady are just being modest by not mentioning the fantastic Kent CD on Danny White called Natural Soul Brother, a quite outstanding collection of this guys work, which contains both sides, and as I seem to remember sleeve notes saying, presenting fantastic singer that seems under the radar much of the time.

Cmon guys,even for vinyl only guys buy this for the sleevenotes, remember it keeps Ady and Tony off the streets and doing their agressive begging double act, and also, slightly more importantly, puts money back into deserving pockets (artists familys that is not Ady or Tony!)

Social source share

If anyone has an Atteru release it would be really helpful if they would be kind enough to post the matrices and pressing marks in the run-out.

I don't have a copy of the Atteru 45 at the moment, but I have seen 3 different label variations of it. The one posted above (which looks kind of "Atlantic"), and then I've seen a styrene pressing (which looked very "west coast") and then one white demo copy which looks very much like a Vee Jay / Constellation / etc. 45 (if that makes sense) which also has got the words "Distributed by Joda Records, NY" written on it.

Check it out: (I'll see if I can come up with a scan of the styrene 45 as well)

post-1392-1203511053_thumb.jpg post-1392-1203511062_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

And I am sure Tony and Ady are just being modest by not mentioning the fantastic Kent CD on Danny White called Natural Soul Brother, a quite outstanding collection of this guys work, which contains both sides, and as I seem to remember sleeve notes saying, presenting fantastic singer that seems under the radar much of the time.

Cmon guys,even for vinyl only guys buy this for the sleevenotes, remember it keeps Ady and Tony off the streets and doing their agressive begging double act, and also, slightly more importantly, puts money back into deserving pockets (artists familys that is not Ady or Tony!)

The only begging we ever did was for the UK Atlantic Vala Regan, pinned to a record shop ceiling, luckily Tone was a bit lighter in those days.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

If anyone has an Atteru release it would be really helpful if they would be kind enough to post the matrices and pressing marks in the run-out. Fascinating to find out that it was made at Royal Studios, Tony. I called it a Stax production because of the Hayes-Porter connection. I wonder what the personnel on the session was? Dated around 1965 this would have been some years before Royal had developed its patented studio sound as immortalised on the classic Hi records of the company's 'soul' period. My guess is some conglomeration of the Stax house band and some of the musicians who went on to be the American Studios band.

Sorry, Gareth, I didn't mean to mislead - "Keep" and "Dedicating" were indeed cut at Stax, the other Hayes-Porter productions on Frisco were cut at Royal, with the nucleus of what became the Hi Rhythm section. Stax was the "there" I was referring to when i said they were done 'there out of convenience' - the convenience being that Isaac and David were Stax' 'A-Team' by the time of that session, whereas they were only just coming into the picture at the time of the Frisco sessions.

If you collect Stax productions that were not released on Stax, there's a very good website run by a French Stax obsessive - whose name shamefully escapes me for the moment, it's something like Philip Woo - that lists all the known ones. There are several releases on Sound Stage 7 (Bobby King, Lattimore Brown etc) which are all excellent examples of the Stax sound at its most eminent and identifiable.

Trouble is, I stumbled upon the site by accident one day, and I forgot to bookmark it, so I can't give you a URL. D'oh.....

Social source share

Sorry, Gareth, I didn't mean to mislead - "Keep" and "Dedicating" were indeed cut at Stax, the other Hayes-Porter productions on Frisco were cut at Royal, with the nucleus of what became the Hi Rhythm section. Stax was the "there" I was referring to when i said they were done 'there out of convenience' - the convenience being that Isaac and David were Stax' 'A-Team' by the time of that session, whereas they were only just coming into the picture at the time of the Frisco sessions.

If you collect Stax productions that were not released on Stax, there's a very good website run by a French Stax obsessive - whose name shamefully escapes me for the moment, it's something like Philip Woo - that lists all the known ones. There are several releases on Sound Stage 7 (Bobby King, Lattimore Brown etc) which are all excellent examples of the Stax sound at its most eminent and identifiable.

Trouble is, I stumbled upon the site by accident one day, and I forgot to bookmark it, so I can't give you a URL. D'oh.....

My apologies Tony: reading your post again it's obvious now. The French site sounds interesting: I will check it out and hopefully provide a link. On a semi-related note I would be interested in finding out about more Royal Studios soul releases not on Hi, as the Decca releases of The Rayons, Tony Ashley and Danny White are among my favourite Memphis sides of the era.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

My apologies Tony: reading your post again it's obvious now. The French site sounds interesting: I will check it out and hopefully provide a link. On a semi-related note I would be interested in finding out about more Royal Studios soul releases not on Hi, as the Decca releases of The Rayons, Tony Ashley and Danny White are among my favourite Memphis sides of the era.

Found the site! Start here:

https://staxrecords.free.fr/index.htm

and enjoy!

Royal was being used for quite a bit of Memphis "outside session work" between 1964 and 1968. Most of the records that were cut there have a very identifiable 'early Hi' sound. Besides those you mention on Decca I can think offhand of Carol Fran on Roulette (the storming "Roll With The Punches" and other goodies that were mostly unissued at the time of recording), Slim Harpo on Excello (Slim's version of "Mohair Sam" is a Hi record in all but label) and, er not a lot else for the minute, but I'll get back to you!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert