Velvets - Lovin' On Borrowed Time

AlanB

Could anyone tell me if the Velvets - Lovin' on Borrowed Time on Number One has ever been counterfeited.

I don't think it has ever been booted as a Northern side, but want to check in case it has ever been booted for any other scene.

thanks

Alan

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Could anyone tell me if the Velvets - Lovin' on Borrowed Time on Number One has ever been counterfeited.

I don't think it has ever been booted as a Northern side, but want to check in case it has ever been booted for any other scene.

thanks

Alan

---

no it hasnt

one 45 i foolishly let go last year :thumbsup:

need to get a copy back

gr8 tune

Social source share

It's a long time for me too but I think he did as he wrote quite a few things in his time.

A reasonably odd story about the Velvets 45 and one other. I got into a guy's basement on my first trip to Chicago in '79 to find that Anderson had just been there.

The guy had his 45s well arranged and there was a divider with "Velvets" written on it but nothing in the gap. But in the next division [forget what] there was one misfiled Velvets. Then I found elsewhere a couple of James Fountain's [not the big deal it is today but still OK]. So I thought to myself Mr. Anderson you're not the big 45 finder you thought you were. I've come after you and found these 45s you shoulda taken. Pretty pleased with myself.

12 years later I hook up with same guy and go down the basement. Lots of new discoveries since 79 and of course change in style and tempo so gotta be worth a visit.

Nothing great but a lot of £5-10 45s which back in '79 were nowt and the odd "newie" like "Thinkin'about you" but then misfiled I found another copy of James Fountain that I'd missed first time around.

ROD

Social source share

rod didnt phil orsi write it ...its quite some time since i had the record i thought it was a different version to the velvets....? could be wrong ohmy.gif

could some nice chap post both mp3 clips maybe for comparison i remember mr brown jumping for joy when i sold it. :D

I'm pretty sure it's phil orsi singing lead on the velvets 45. I don't have the wise world 45 so i can't compare and I don't know which one came first. The flip "love is slipping away" has the same backing track as Billy McGregor "mr shy". The same recording got released as Phil Orsi on Sonic. There is an alternate version (with still Phil singing lead) as happiness-is on Banner. I think that alternate version also got released on blue soul. I think there's one more label too that I can't remember... confusing...

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Last time I listened to the Wise World I thought that they were similar and not totally the same, a difference in the mix.

Velvets is more of a group singing as one, while Phil Orsi has a distinctive lead voice over the backing vocals. Phil Orsi version is also 'brighter' sounding while the Velvets is more muted. Might just be different mixes.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert