Makemvinyl

Is it or isnt it the Detroit Spinners

I recently purchased some tickets for a now cancelled tour

by the Detroit Spinners

turns out to be a covers??????????????? band

covers in the weirdest sense of the word

according to a source close to the band

they new nothing about such a tour

and would the person concerned pay for my cancelled hotel bill.

via Obodo who not only keep the fees but charge another 25 dollars cancellation fee.

Just pissed off about the above another Northern Soul ripping off of the fans.

there is Good News for Spinners fans but thats for someone else to pleasure you with.

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Is it or isnt it the Detroit Spinners

I recently purchased some tickets for a now cancelled tour

by the Detroit Spinners

turns out to be a covers??????????????? band

covers in the weirdest sense of the word

according to a source close to the band

they new nothing about such a tour

and would the person concerned pay for my cancelled hotel bill.

via Obodo who not only keep the fees but charge another 25 dollars cancellation fee.

Just pissed off about the above another Northern Soul ripping off of the fans.

there is Good News for Spinners fans but thats for someone else to pleasure you with.

A lot of these groups the line up has to changed that much over the years,because 1,the group broke up years ago,or 2, that most of the original line up have past away,so are these groups covers?

So you will never get a proper original line up,take the Drifters,last count was 58 people have been in the Drifters.

This is why I dont bother seeing live groups.

Kev :thumbup:

Social source share

A lot of these groups the line up has to changed that much over the years,because 1,the group broke up years ago,or 2, that most of the original line up have past away,so are these groups covers?

So you will never get a proper original line up,take the Drifters,last count was 58 people have been in the Drifters.

This is why I dont bother seeing live groups.

Kev :thumbup:

Detroit spinners do exist, just not the ones who were supposed to appear

it was a con to remove money from our pockets.

Social source share

Detroit spinners do exist, just not the ones who were supposed to appear

it was a con to remove money from our pockets.

This used to happen quite abit,with people bringing groups over here,I think it happend with a group calling them self one of the Motown groups I cant remember what happend,I think there was quite a stink over it.

KEV :lol:

Edited by good angel
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

This used to happen quite abit,with people bringing groups over here,I think it happend with a group calling them self one of the Motown groups I cant remember what happend,I think there was quite a stink over it.

KEV wicked.gif

Worth mentioning, Kev, if you're talking about those that toured in the late 60s, that none of the groups and solo acts you're talking about were aware that they were going to be expected to perform as "The Sensational Impressions", "The Fantastic Isley Brothers" or whatever, until they were told that's how they were going to go out on tour - if they wanted to get paid and get flown home again - by the notorious promotor, Roy Tempest.

I can't remember offhand exactly who did appear here as what, but a partial list of the real groups that were forced into touring under a "Sensational" or "Original"-type alias by Tempest would include the Invitations (Drifters, I think), Diplomats (Isley Brothers), Oliver Bush (William Bell), and the Topics (can't remember).

Social source share

Worth mentioning, Kev, if you're talking about those that toured in the late 60s, that none of the groups and solo acts you're talking about were aware that they were going to be expected to perform as "The Sensational Impressions", "The Fantastic Isley Brothers" or whatever, until they were told that's how they were going to go out on tour - if they wanted to get paid and get flown home again - by the notorious promotor, Roy Tempest.

I can't remember offhand exactly who did appear here as what, but a partial list of the real groups that were forced into touring under a "Sensational" or "Original"-type alias by Tempest would include the Invitations (Drifters, I think), Diplomats (Isley Brothers), Oliver Bush (William Bell), and the Topics (can't remember).

Missing the point

its still happening a well known promoter is bringing bodies together and promoting them as The Spinners allegedly(have to say that as my source is awaiting contact from said promoter after he was asked to cease and desist.)WHY GIGS WHERE CANCELLED IMO

Safe to say the Detroit Spinners will be in the uk sometime this year for an exclusive one of gig in 2008

wont say where yet,but I know the promoters will crowing loudly about this.

SOON

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Missing the point

...I was going slightly off-point, actually, rather than 'missing' it.

However, there's a difference, I grant you - Roy Tempest was not 'bringing bodies together', he was bringing in actual groups and singers - who were arriving in the full expectation that they would be touring as themselves - and telling them, on arrival, that they would be "the Fantastic Isley Brothers" etc. Sam and Erv of the Diplomats confirmed this when they came in for Cleethorpes a couple of years ago. There was no intention on the part of any of the singers in question to deceive, merely on the part of an unscrupulous promoter.

The way I read your posting, the people who are/were going to make up this bogus Spinners are/were fully aware of the deception upfront of this scam - yes?

If so, that's just plain out of order...

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

A message from john poole the detroit spinners will be appearing at the october prestatyn weekender im not sure if thats crowing but sounds like good news to me.Nothing to do with the other promotion will post details as soon as have them off john who is not a member on here.So makes a bit of a nonsense about this beeing the last prestatyn,wishful thinking by some.

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

...I was going slightly off-point, actually, rather than 'missing' it.

However, there's a difference, I grant you - Roy Tempest was not 'bringing bodies together', he was bringing in actual groups and singers - who were arriving in the full expectation that they would be touring as themselves - and telling them, on arrival, that they would be "the Fantastic Isley Brothers" etc. Sam and Erv of the Diplomats confirmed this when they came in for Cleethorpes a couple of years ago. There was no intention on the part of any of the singers in question to deceive, merely on the part of an unscrupulous promoter.

The way I read your posting, the people who are/were going to make up this bogus Spinners are/were fully aware of the deception upfront of this scam - yes?

If so, that's just plain out of order...

I thank you

and has done similar before although after an agreement with a good source am not allowed to say

and yes Detroit Spinners exclusive for John poole at Prestatyn in October

Social source share

Thats it Tony,

I knew I could remember something that happend. :boxing:

Kev wicked.gif

Social source share

A message from john poole the detroit spinners will be appearing at the october prestatyn weekender im not sure if thats crowing but sounds like good news to me.Nothing to do with the other promotion will post details as soon as have them off john who is not a member on here.So makes a bit of a nonsense about this beeing the last prestatyn,wishful thinking by some.

So if the lineup of the Detroit Spinners is exactly the same for the Prestatyn weekender and this is an exclusive appearance, is this the reason why the present tour of the UK was cancelled?

Social source share

Probably and cant wait for the Prestatyn event

John get me up there

Doug

Great news that they are to appear at Prestatyn but a real pity that their tour has been cancelled "probably" as a result

of this rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

You will have to ask the organiser of the cancelled tour why it was cancelled nothing to do with the prestatyn apperance as far as the information i have,thou doubt you will ever get the real reason.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert