Obscure "heavy" Soul Recommended Listening

I'm wanting to expand my collection of "heavy" tunes with some that are a bit more obscure that I may have missed.

I've just made this term up, but it's the only way i can think to describe it!

The kind of tunes that have a big sound running through them with a kinda darker edge to them, does that make sense?

A few examples in a similar vein that I already have:

Temptations: (I Know) I'm Losing You

Sam Dees: Lonely For You Baby

Dramatics: All Because of You

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section of the forum, I'm new to this!

EDIT: Just to qualify this, I'm looking for ideas for records I should buy which are hopefully at the cheaper end of the scale, but a short clip to give me an idea of what it sounds like first would be preferable because I don't like buying blind. Any and all advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Edited by dunfermlinesoul
Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'll kick off with two more Dramatics 45's...

"The Devil Is Dope" and "Whatcha See Is Whatcha' Get".

Both heavy, dark and 'edgy'...

...and both obtainable for under a fiver!

Try Dionne Warwick too on "Move Me No Mountains" WB 45 for a surprisingly 'dark' production.

Adams Apples "Don't Take It Out On This World" on Brunswick should also hit the spot if you like 'em heavy, mean and moody.

If you are happy to go downtempo... try The Valentino's "Death Of Love"... which scared me to death first time I heard it... and Otis Clay's "That's How It Is".... its proper 'heavy' Soul.

But if you really want 'disturbingly' heavy Soul, try Caroline Sullivan's 'Dead' on Phillips.

Serious as a heart attack!

Most of the above should carry a Govt Health warning.

So you take care now.

ph34r.gif

Sean

Social source share

Thanks folks, The Drifter and the Devil is Dope are already both favourites of mine.

Thanks for the clips Si,that's what I'm getting at.

I'll have to look out for the others and see if i can get a listen to them.

Out of interest, I've been listening to Minnie Riperton and The Rotary Connection's version of Respect a lot recently, now that's dark.

Any tune called "Dead" must be good, so I'm looking for that first!

Social source share

Guest posstot

Just discovered The Parliaments' (I Wanna) Testify. Fits the bill perfectly, so snapped it up. Got it from itunes in the meantime until the vinyl arrives :lol:

I am gonna reccomend some for you D-soul....I like my heavy sounding stuff also....affraid i can't as yet put sound files up...I tried..but i failed! So hope you can find soundfiles elsewhere for these, if not known of coarse!! When you say new to all this, do you mean the music or t'internet!!??,soulsource??

ROOSEVELT GRIER LOVER SET ME FREE BATTLE 20-30, VERNON GARRETT SHINE IT ON KENT 10-20, IRMA AND THE FASCINATORS LOST LOVE SCEPTER 30-40, TEDDY GREENE CRY CAPITOL 30-50, WILLIE "G" MEET ME HALFWAY RIC TIC 10-15, KING GEORGE I'M GONNA BE SOMEBODY SOMEDAY 20-30, MIGHTY JOE YOUNG HENPECKED CELTEX 25-40, BUSTER JONES YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO SURE SHOT 20-30, DEON JACKSON YOU SAID YOU LOVED ME CARLA 10-20, EDDIE CURTIS THOSE FOXES AND PUSSYCATS JOSIE(UNBELIEVABLY FAST AND FURIOUS) 30 AND SOON TO RISE ....ROSCOE ROBINSON WHAT YOU'RE DOING TO ME WAND 20-30, BUDDY ACE TRUE LOVE MONEY CAN'T BUY DUKE 40-60, JOHNNIE TAYLOR OH HOW I LOVE YOU SAR ? 20-60, ROY HAMILTON THE PANIC IS ON MGM( IF YOU LIKE THE DRIFTER THIS WILL BLOW YOU AWAY) 100-125, FREDDY JAYE THINKIN OF YOU UNITED ARTISTS 100 125 SOON TO RISE(AS WITH DRIFTER AND PANIC SAME HERE MUSICALLY)

I hope these are a nice little taster for you...Regards Mike

Social source share

I am gonna reccomend some for you D-soul....I like my heavy sounding stuff also....affraid i can't as yet put sound files up...I tried..but i failed! So hope you can find soundfiles elsewhere for these, if not known of coarse!! When you say new to all this, do you mean the music or t'internet!!??,soulsource??

ROOSEVELT GRIER LOVER SET ME FREE BATTLE 20-30, VERNON GARRETT SHINE IT ON KENT 10-20, IRMA AND THE FASCINATORS LOST LOVE SCEPTER 30-40, TEDDY GREENE CRY CAPITOL 30-50, WILLIE "G" MEET ME HALFWAY RIC TIC 10-15, KING GEORGE I'M GONNA BE SOMEBODY SOMEDAY 20-30, MIGHTY JOE YOUNG HENPECKED CELTEX 25-40, BUSTER JONES YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO SURE SHOT 20-30, DEON JACKSON YOU SAID YOU LOVED ME CARLA 10-20, EDDIE CURTIS THOSE FOXES AND PUSSYCATS JOSIE(UNBELIEVABLY FAST AND FURIOUS) 30 AND SOON TO RISE ....ROSCOE ROBINSON WHAT YOU'RE DOING TO ME WAND 20-30, BUDDY ACE TRUE LOVE MONEY CAN'T BUY DUKE 40-60, JOHNNIE TAYLOR OH HOW I LOVE YOU SAR ? 20-60, ROY HAMILTON THE PANIC IS ON MGM( IF YOU LIKE THE DRIFTER THIS WILL BLOW YOU AWAY) 100-125, FREDDY JAYE THINKIN OF YOU UNITED ARTISTS 100 125 SOON TO RISE(AS WITH DRIFTER AND PANIC SAME HERE MUSICALLY)

I hope these are a nice little taster for you...Regards Mike

Thanks Mike, having not come from "that" generation (I'm 31), there are bound to be a lot of great records I've missed, I'm just looking to broaden my horizons a bit.

New to soulsource by the way, was just covering myself if I had posted in the wrong section and upset anyone!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I'm wanting to expand my collection of "heavy" tunes with some that are a bit more obscure that I may have missed.

I've just made this term up, but it's the only way i can think to describe it!

The kind of tunes that have a big sound running through them with a kinda darker edge to them, does that make sense?

A few examples in a similar vein that I already have:

Temptations: (I Know) I'm Losing You

Sam Dees: Lonely For You Baby

Dramatics: All Because of You

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section of the forum, I'm new to this!

EDIT: Just to qualify this, I'm looking for ideas for records I should buy which are hopefully at the cheaper end of the scale, but a short clip to give me an idea of what it sounds like first would be preferable because I don't like buying blind. Any and all advice would be appreciated, thanks.

I don't do soundclips (never mastered the art of Refosoul) but perhaps some kindly sort will put these masterpieces of "Soul Noir" up for you:

The Undisputed Truth - I Saw You When You Met Her (Gordy)

Frankie Newsome - Last Bus To Tupelo (Sagport)

...both essential to any 'heavy soul' collection and and neither of them a bank breaker...

Social source share

Guest posstot

Thanks Mike, having not come from "that" generation (I'm 31), there are bound to be a lot of great records I've missed, I'm just looking to broaden my horizons a bit.

New to soulsource by the way, was just covering myself if I had posted in the wrong section and upset anyone!

I myself am not from "that" generation either.... Being 39(well closer to 40 :thumbsup: )....And most who proclaim to be from "that" generation, who can, in some cases, look upon you as an imposter, usually forget that there was a generation before them also. Tossers!!....

More to the point, there is always gonna be scope to broaden your horizons. I myself have been collecting since i was 18...seriously collecting, as in, all originals since i was 20-21....And stuff i haven't heard, up to today, from the sixties, is frightenning....You can speak to some of the dealers,who've been at it for 40+ years and are still broadenin there horisons......anyone who says "I know it all" is so full off crap, there eyes are brown!!

i Hope you get to hear, what you don't know(if any) in the list i sent you, i'm pretty confident you'll enjoy them....If you'd like a c.d or two, i can easily copy a couple i've made, from file, in about 30 seconds...Just P.M me with your address details. I'll send some up to you...to PM click on posstot and then send message underneath...just in case you don't know....took me yages!! ATB MIke

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert