Has Anyone Ever Seen

Hello Soulies,

This is my first post so I'd like to say Hi to everyone before getting on with it.

Apologies if this should have gone in the wants section but I'm not really asking for a copy (unless you have one), in fact I'm really trying to find out if it exists.

Amongst other soul sounds, I'm a big fan of NOLA and Allen Toussaint productions in general.

There is a 45 on Instant called 'Too Many Pots' b/w 'If I Say Goodbye' by Diamond Joe - Instant 3271. BMI Credit 'Too Many Pots' to Neville Naomi (A. Toussaint) and the record is listed in discographies and indexes of Instant Records (see Soulful Kind Music).

However, I've never seen a copy, I never heard of anyone owning a copy and it's never been comped (as far as my research can tell me).

Was it ever released? Can anyone offer any info?

It's listed on Craig Moerer's site as out of stock (that doesn't mean anything). But what I do know is that the whole situation is bloody annoying.

Can anyone give me any info on this illusive disc?

Many thanks,

D

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

It's listed on Craig Moerer's site as out of stock (that doesn't mean anything).

well, actually it means he's had a copy for it to have been entered into the database, so presumably it does exist.

I'm a big fan of NOLA and Allen Toussaint productions in general.

good taste! - i love all the NOLA stuff....

Social source share

well, actually it means he's had a copy for it to have been entered into the database, so presumably it does exist.

Not necessarily so, he could have just uploaded the whole Instant catalogue range. It doesn't mean he ever had it. In fact I contacted them to ask that very question and the reply was rather unconvincing. Like I state in my post, Soulful Kinda Music list the 'known' catalogue range, doesn't mean it was released, just means it was designated a catalogue number.

Thanks for the quick responses though, I'm impressed and encouraged.

:thumbup:

Social source share

Not necessarily so, he could have just uploaded the whole Instant catalogue range. It doesn't mean he ever had it. In fact I contacted them to ask that very question and the reply was rather unconvincing. Like I state in my post, Soulful Kinda Music list the 'known' catalogue range, doesn't mean it was released, just means it was designated a catalogue number.

Thanks for the quick responses though, I'm impressed and encouraged.

:D

recordsbymail is not a discography. they don't upload random titles into their database that they don't have. That would just be a waste of time for them. If it's on their site, it means they had it.

Social source share

recordsbymail is not a discography. they don't upload random titles into their database that they don't have. That would just be a waste of time for them. If it's on their site, it means they had it.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. While I firmly believe Craig Moorer to be one of (if not _the_) premier US record dealers and there is not doubt that he has had a tremendous amount of obscure records through his hands, I get the distinct impression that he puts records from wants lists into his catalogue/website whether he's had the record or not. I received his paper catalogs for about 20 years and never saw many of the records that show up as being "out of stock" on his website. I think the main reason he puts them there is to draw potential customers to his site via web searches. It doesn't necessarily mean that he _never_ had them, but I think it's a reasonable assumption.

Social source share

I wouldn't be so sure about that. While I firmly believe Craig Moorer to be one of (if not _the_) premier US record dealers and there is not doubt that he has had a tremendous amount of obscure records through his hands, I get the distinct impression that he puts records from wants lists into his catalogue/website whether he's had the record or not. I received his paper catalogs for about 20 years and never saw many of the records that show up as being "out of stock" on his website. I think the main reason he puts them there is to draw potential customers to his site via web searches. It doesn't necessarily mean that he _never_ had them, but I think it's a reasonable assumption.

I think the out of stock ones don't actually show up in web searches (since they only show on his website if you explicitly search for them on the site). Only the in stock ones show up in web searches because if you were to browse his catalog you would see them. The web spiders aren't typing in people's wants into a search box. So I don't think that is a reason at least. Not everything he has in out of stock would have been in his paper lists -- for example, his ebay auctions show up as out of stock even if he never had the items explicitly for purchase on his site. I think that he runs all his inventory through his site and they have the last amount out-of-stock items sold for, etc. I still doubt he would waste time putting items he didn't have in there.

Social source share

I think the out of stock ones don't actually show up in web searches (since they only show on his website if you explicitly search for them on the site). Only the in stock ones show up in web searches because if you were to browse his catalog you would see them. The web spiders aren't typing in people's wants into a search box. So I don't think that is a reason at least. Not everything he has in out of stock would have been in his paper lists -- for example, his ebay auctions show up as out of stock even if he never had the items explicitly for purchase on his site. I think that he runs all his inventory through his site and they have the last amount out-of-stock items sold for, etc. I still doubt he would waste time putting items he didn't have in there.

Thanks guys, you've convinced me. I'd really appreciate any help or assistance anyone can give in tracking this record down. Such as regular auction lists etc. Those that dont get advertised much.

Hope I haven't crossed the line there?

Thanks

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert