Godins Wall

Guest denmac

the godins wall ran from the wash to the severn. below that line were the funkers.above godins line the stompers were amassing in places

like wolverhampton,stoke,stafford,burton. raids into gloucester and worcester had saved a few souls.the wall was strengthend by derby and nottingham. reinforced by newark grantham and the eastern exstreem , skegness. below the trent people had to dare to go to the land of the night owl and bletso to save those lost souls from dare i say it southgodin, the mystical land unknown to stompers.but rejoice, there were amongst the funksters the rebels who insisted on playing this .....OK carry on. make it a story you can read to your grandkids

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest SteveJohnston

the godins wall ran from the wash to the severn. below that line were the funkers.above godins line the stompers were amassing in places

like wolverhampton,stoke,stafford,burton. raids into gloucester and worcester had saved a few souls.the wall was strengthend by derby and nottingham. reinforced by newark grantham and the eastern exstreem , skegness. below the trent people had to dare to go to the land of the night owl and bletso to save those lost souls from dare i say it southgodin, the mystical land unknown to stompers.but rejoice, there were amongst the funksters the rebels who insisted on playing this .....OK carry on. make it a story you can read to your grandkids

Far superior soul music.

To rebel the taking of the east midlands by the Stompers there was a gathering of the funk generals In about the year 1976 and roomers abound that the funkers where building a pyramid in casters not far from the wall on the east side but just before it was finished it was to collapse resulting in a lot of bruised egos and elbows, knees, and bumps a daisy,........

Social source share

Far superior soul music.

To rebel the taking of the east midlands by the Stompers there was a gathering of the funk generals In about the year 1976 and roomers abound that the funkers where building a pyramid in casters not far from the wall on the east side but just before it was finished it was to collapse resulting in a lot of bruised egos and elbows, knees, and bumps a daisy,........

brilliant i say unto thee. what of those crosdallians from the 100 year war against the stompers ? was`nt sir cosd established in the southgodin who provided us stompers with so many delights. i also recall the members of the birds nest making raids over the trent

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

brilliant i say unto thee. what of those crosdallians from the 100 year war against the stompers ? was`nt sir cosd established in the southgodin who provided us stompers with so many delights. i also recall the members of the birds nest making raids over the trent

Sir Cosd and his crosdallians with there den hidden underground out of Funkers sight in the dense smoke of the south godins was a welcome bolt hole for many an exiled Stomper nearly always surpassing anything we had served to us stompers in the ye'old north west stomplands.

Social source share

Mention should be also made of the fen-dwelling descendents of the Iceni, whose estimable contribution to the Godin's Wall Cult gave rise to some key middle period sanctuaries such as wirrinae, st. ivus & ketteringae.

the earliest manifestation of the cult in this region drew its inspiration from greek mythology, with allusions to mythical birds rising from ashes. this denomination did cause a certain amount of dissent in the rank & file, whose general ignorance of the classics (due to the educative blight that was secondarius modernus) led them to horribly mispronounce the name of the shrine. Perhaps Quetzal or Griffon might have been a wiser choice, but being a neophyte at the time, I was hardly in a position to draw this to the attention of the zealot high priests PK, Biffo, Spena & Paulus Donellius.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Newquay and Swanage were holding do's when I were a nipper. So I guess the linedancing funksters got wet sandles then tongue.gif

I did go to a night in Birmingham around 79/80/81 I'd guess. it was Northern Soul upstairs and Funk downstairs. The night ended with the kind of brawl you'd expect a football match of that era, not between fellow soul fans.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Mention should be also made of the fen-dwelling descendents of the Iceni, whose estimable contribution to the Godin's Wall Cult gave rise to some key middle period sanctuaries such as wirrinae, st. ivus & ketteringae.

the earliest manifestation of the cult in this region drew its inspiration from greek mythology, with allusions to mythical birds rising from ashes. this denomination did cause a certain amount of dissent in the rank & file, whose general ignorance of the classics (due to the educative blight that was secondarius modernus) led them to horribly mispronounce the name of the shrine. Perhaps Quetzal or Griffon might have been a wiser choice, but being a neophyte at the time, I was hardly in a position to draw this to the attention of the zealot high priests PK, Biffo, Spena & Paulus Donellius.

This threads begining to read like a chapter from Lord Of The Rings, and I couldn't understand that either laugh.gif

chris

Social source share

bridget. hi . yes it was a bit strange but some great replies that i thought were magic. intownmickey "they got wet sandels". macca on about cambridge/south leicester/ northhampton/bedfordshires being a st neotphryte. Building pyramids at caster- brilliant!!. this thread came about because of a chat at soul republic on saturday.i`ve always had this unease about the term northern soul when i knew of nighters etc down south (from me) like market harborough, bletso and the daddy of them all the flamingo. most people i knew were buying tunes from f.l. moores in luton. was it the only place in`68-`70? to get imports? again down south. on visits to family in brighton i would pick up tunes in the Lanes. dave rivers and dave burton from west hampstead bought loads of tunes up to the torch. wasn`t one of them eddie parker- love you baby. loads of questions never answered maybe but got to go now i`ve got to face those zealot high priests in wirrinlandia.

Social source share

like wolverhampton,stoke,stafford,burton. raids into gloucester and worcester had saved a few souls.

Revisionist! I'll have you know, sir, that the underground resistance movement had been in place here in Gloucestershire for some years, in truth we sent many of our senior figures north to help with the struggle! :thumbup:

Social source share

At the height of the Vichy/funky occupation of the southern Godlands, it is easy to forget the active resistance to all the crimes of humanity which were taking place,e.g. the branding of persons with foreign sounding words accross their chests, like Fila or Nike.

The main resistance was led by a midland nobleman, Known as sir Horrace, who much like the scarlet pimpernel led a double life, in the day displaying a false front of respectibility and some times even sat down to tea with the enemy, but at night in a dingy cellar, plotted the down fall of the hoards in crap, tucked in pullovers.

The ebbs and flows of this resistance is well documented, however sometimes sadly discounted, as when the Godin parrallel was breached and the south liberated, the recriminations began. Mostly disgruntled Northerners who werent awarded medals of honour for their war effort work, safely behind allied lines and miles from the front line.

However today, each June, the southern resistance is honoured by a weekend pilgrimage to Lincolnshire, where veterans of this glorious campeign get together and talk of the God old days. Proudly displaying their Kent singles like poppies.

Educate your children, that the danger and sacrifice of the southern resistance not be forgotten.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

At the height of the Vichy/funky occupation of the southern Godlands, it is easy to forget the active resistance to all the crimes of humanity which were taking place,e.g. the branding of persons with foreign sounding words accross their chests, like Fila or Nike.

The main resistance was led by a midland nobleman, Known as sir Horrace, who much like the scarlet pimpernel led a double life, in the day displaying a false front of respectibility and some times even sat down to tea with the enemy, but at night in a dingy cellar, plotted the down fall of the hoards in crap, tucked in pullovers.

The ebbs and flows of this resistance is well documented, however sometimes sadly discounted, as when the Godin parrallel was breached and the south liberated, the recriminations began. Mostly disgruntled Northerners who werent awarded medals of honour for their war effort work, safely behind allied lines and miles from the front line.

However today, each June, the southern resistance is honoured by a weekend pilgrimage to Lincolnshire, where veterans of this glorious campeign get together and talk of the God old days. Proudly displaying their Kent singles like poppies.

Educate your children, that the danger and sacrifice of the southern resistance not be forgotten.

And behold there came forward a noble man and leader Sir Rushneilton that did a very good job of trying to bring Stompers & Godins together with a gathering of the clans in a venue that had seen past Stomping & Godlin seminars the venue was very apt as the dance floor spun round you had know idea where you had stated from or for that matter where you ended up this was to try and bring the two warring tribes together, Generals from Stompland & Godlishire where recruited to over see the meeting's and at one point it seem to have worked until in a Godlinshire publication the war was blown out of all proportions and sadly still exists today in some quarters.

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

jerry your so correct about this thread. you went north (from your home)to clubs but you had been playing some tunes for years that suddenly were NORTHERN. have we got to accept that "northern" is is just a concept? just a thought to everyone, has the term northern soul appeared in a dictionary? if not why not.

Social source share

got to get back into this lunacy, great lunacy afresh... when did stomper and funk rebels meet. was it on the fields of mecca, the city of rock, parkers castle, thornes canal or frames thingy(cant think of anything).

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

got to get back into this lunacy, great lunacy afresh... when did stomper and funk rebels meet. was it on the fields of mecca, the city of rock, parkers castle, thornes canal or frames thingy(cant think of anything).

Mamucium Ritz was the meeting place

Social source share

Well they met all over the place around 76AD. Much later, in 77AD a small group of stompers had amassed at Ye Olde Top Ranke Clubbe in the old settlement of Reading to have an all day party and discoteque / dancing festival to celebrate the banks being closed on that particular day. Massed ranks of funkateers from Essex and elsewhere organised coaches and joined this party and introduced the stompers to a new kind of music "jazzifunke" as it was originally known. The rest is, as they say, history.

Social source share

Revisionist! I'll have you know, sir, that the underground resistance movement had been in place here in Gloucestershire for some years, in truth we sent many of our senior figures north to help with the struggle! :D

As it was too in the Faithful County of Worcestershire ! From wence came many raiding parties in multi wheel horseless coaches wearing thier Fred Perry armour with pride !!

The cause has even been taken up by double agent Lloydee who saw the error of his ways & cast aside his Hawian shirt, red pegs & floppy belt to once again take up the cause & rally the FP troops at monthly Coppertops nights which end with the ritual sacrifice of anyone with a floppy hairstyle !

He doth preach the error of his ways via his soulstuff.co.uk web site too !

Unfortunatly the wearing of 'The One Jelly Sandle To Rule Them All' for so many years did take a terrible toll & with great pain he is finding it hard to keep the dark forces at bay !

Such so that he despite all his will power he is slipping into the deep dark mind numbing void that is Souful House, Rare Groove & Plinky Plinky Bump Bump ! confused0056.gif Please pray he be saved !

:thumbup: When does the token Dwarf end up getting killed in this story then ?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

'Ark at ee! That there edge-yer-cay-shun gone to your head bruv?

Blinkin tax dodgers.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

As it was too in the Faithful County of Worcestershire ! From wence came many raiding parties in multi wheel horseless coaches wearing thier Fred Perry armour with pride !!

The cause has even been taken up by double agent Lloydee who saw the error of his ways & cast aside his Hawian shirt, red pegs & floppy belt to once again take up the cause & rally the FP troops at monthly Coppertops nights which end with the ritual sacrifice of anyone with a floppy hairstyle !

He doth preach the error of his ways via his soulstuff.co.uk web site too !

Unfortunatly the wearing of 'The One Jelly Sandle To Rule Them All' for so many years did take a terrible toll & with great pain he is finding it hard to keep the dark forces at bay !

Such so that he despite all his will power he is slipping into the deep dark mind numbing void that is Souful House, Rare Groove & Plinky Plinky Bump Bump ! confused0056.gif Please pray he be saved !

:D When does the token Dwarf end up getting killed in this story then ?

PLINKY PLINKY BUMP BUMP............... :thumbsup: he is past beeing saved!

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

They were noted as they wore pegs and they were smelly.

I can't remember anyone from the Jazzfunk lot beeing smelly :D i remember them beeing very smart for the time and place with some brill dancers with some brill tunes to dance to!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I can't remember anyone from the Jazzfunk lot beeing smelly :thumbsup: i remember them beeing very smart for the time and place with some brill dancers with some brill tunes to dance to!

I get them all mixed up with the dressers at football matches in the 80s. Lots of guys with flick haircuts, fila tops and moccassins.

A lot of the funksters seemd more in tune with the casual gear than the majiority of Northern Soul boys. Not saying there werent any dressers on the Soul scene. Look at the Leicester video and there was quite obviously a lot. But to me it seemed more a funk thing.

One year we were coming back from Yarmouth Scooter rally and some 'soul boys' as we used to call them, all decked out like these, kept buzzing us in an orange VW Beetle. They were hanging out and calling us names, making the coffeee bean signs, all that malarkey. After they'd buzzed us the third time, trying to knock someone off their scooter, we parked up in a layby near Thetford. They came back again and two guys, Fred and Andy from Bristol deposited an extremely heavy rubbish bin through their windscreen.

Funnily enough, we didnt see them again after that. :wicked::D

Social source share

Guest posstot

I think that the term "northern" soul is a load of old cock!! it's 60's American soul/rnb. loved by the whole world, played throughout the whole world, sold throughout the whole world....i heard some fella going on about how southerners haven't got a clue as to soul music...(100 club dicksquat!!!) that soul music started in the north of england....and only in the north of england...Dave Godin should have kept his pen in his pocket.as regards the said terminology......i watched Brenda Holloway and Kim Weston at the ritz, he introduced them and was on for half a fooooookin hour....i wouldn't mind he only said about 10 words......after 5 of those someone shouted"get the f**k off"......One of the funniest, and i thought, at the time, Boldest things to shout, considering his "status".

Social source share

Behave...

Ps you know how you were at dkof DEC toward the end of the night? times it by two and you'll have an idea what I was like at 9pm Feb 1st...apparently Manship suggested I was pissed which was met with a nasty "why don't you just f**k off"...I blame Mick my brother. :D sorry Manny.

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Behave...

Ps you know how you were at dkof DEC toward the end of the night? times it by two and you'll have an idea what I was like at 9pm Feb 1st...apparently Manship suggested I was pissed which was met with a nasty "why don't you just f**k off"...I blame Mick my brother. :D sorry Manny.

:thumbsup::wicked::shades:Talking about my generation!................................I'm sorry to Manny but that is :ohmy:

Reminds me of the story i've been told about a DJ by someone that was there.

Introducing a record at a soul night in Leicestershire that you don't see records like this every day , reply from the crowd was "not in you're f*^kin box you don't" The dj just lifted the record of the deck shut his box and walked of stage with everyone pissing them self!

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

I forgot to mention two other zealot high priests;

andreus ferrerus & jonah, who cuts a biblical figure to this day.

The land of Hereward was even to receive the visit of an emissary from the court of Genhis Khan.

Eduardus Din. I never quite managed get his drift.

Most probably spoke a strange Guang Zhou province dialect.

Macca.

p.s.

I blame the beer Paul.

Never in the field of human ebriety has anyone got so rat arsed so quickly.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

what a thread,

Anyone want a bag of dodds? That's fooked them up Macca. laugh.gif

Not only me but fooked GOOGLE and is mate I'm Feeling Lucky!

Steve J

Social source share

steve johnson, gert mark.. great replies. intelligent , funny, sharp.brilliant. i dj`d at willington on sat and was asked to play some oldies. i said no. then someone said can we have some newies.no,, i didn`t know what newies she knew. what i`m saying is i was playing tunes that i had heard all over the uk and if ithey were tunes i liked and had danced to them i would buy them. so what i am say ing is if i danced to them why ca`nt you ? if you say i dont want to, thats called freedom. if you say that not my kind of thing, thats freedom. if you say that a certain tune should not be played... who are you to dictate. look how many changes this scene has seen. its been about intergration, the meeting of minds, exchanges of information,tape swapping , cd swapping, mp3 down loads.IF YOU LOVE SOUL MUSIC YOU`VE NEVER HAD IT SO GOOD !!! YES THATS SHOUTING.

Social source share

don't forget the 'noblemen' of Clifton Hall thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert