Willie Hutch

Guest andyrattigan

Guest andyrattigan

For me:

" Brother's Gonna Work it out" from album THE MACK

and "I'm Gonna Stay" from the album "MARK OF THE BEAST" which has a few other gems of it as well.

Love his voice and the production on his records.

Edited by andyrattigan
Social source share

• Replies 62
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest andyrattigan

Fantastic Artist, what about moving this over to media Andy and I will put up some sounclips, including LTBLBY later today.

Cheers

Jock

How do I move it?

Social source share

For me:

and "I'm Gonna Stay" from the album "MARK OF THE BEAST" which has a few other gems of it as well.

Love his face and the production on his records.

Great artist, producer, writer and aranger, defo one of my favourite men in the business. Loads of scope to pick fave tunes from, here,s mine:- From " Ode to my lady" album " Just another day", "Talk to me", his rendition of "The way we were" and saving the best till last, the incredible ballad "Since I found you everythings alright" ( Jock, if you are going to put sound clips on please put this on).

From the "In tune" album, a track "Bully Boy" made me aware of " Easy does it"

From the "Fully exposed" album "Can.t get ready for losing you" ( deserves plays)

and finally the B side of " Shake it shake it " "We can make it"

Kev

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

In my original post I've just noticed that I wrote "I love his face and the production" or words to that effect.

I meant to type "voice". I just want to clarify that.

Willie has a fine face fair play to him, but my original post sounded a bit homo-erotic and just want clairfy that neither Willie or any other male soul legends do it for me that way.

Im more of a Tammi Terrell kind of guy.

Social source share

Great artist, producer, writer and aranger, defo one of my favourite men in the business. Loads of scope to pick fave tunes from, here,s mine:- From " Ode to my lady" album " Just another day", "Talk to me", his rendition of "The way we were" and saving the best till last, the incredible ballad "Since I found you everythings alright" ( Jock, if you are going to put sound clips on please put this on).

From the "Fully exposed" album "Can.t get ready for losing you" ( deserves plays)

Kev

I forgot to mention " I just wanted to make her happy" from the "Fully exposed" album.

Social source share

For me:

One of my favs is from this album, "It's no fun living in the ghetto", out and out fantastic uptempo 70's dancer that always works for me when I spin it. Shame it's not a 45 then it might get more spins.

Jordi

Social source share

Kev

just another day for me too.

thanks

mark w

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...'Concert In Blues', for me his best album in every department.

"Baby Come Home' should be a Desert Island Disc for everyone, IMO...

Social source share

...'Concert In Blues', for me his best album in every department.

"Baby Come Home' should be a Desert Island Disc for everyone, IMO...

Totally agree, Tony.

Magnificent track.

Then again, I love so much about the late Willie Hutch.

One of the great Singer, Songwriters, responsible for dozens of fabulous tracks as artist and composer.

Social source share

Guest recordman

Agreed! :thumbsup:

another for me is 'when a boy falls in love' the 45 version not the l.p. version.

Daz

Willie Hutch to me is right up there with the best, a prolific song writer and super talented musician

I'm so glad I met him at Fleetwood a few years ago

From his early days on things such as You're Just A Boys Dream - The Phonetics then his RCA output as mentioned by previous contributor his fantastic output with a string of classic albums especially Ode to my Lady which is a masterpiece from start to finish

I will always remeber Rod Dearlove editor of the superb Voices From The Shadows Rod explains in great detail and rightly so just what a great album Ode To My Lady Is

As far as ballads are concerned has anybody heard the flip on the Polydor 45 from The Reason Why ( willie on lead vocal ) - well worth checking out !

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Love just about everything by the man! Willie Hutch was among my top five favourite artists. Special mentions to "Can't Fight The Power" on Soul City and "You Gotta To Give Love Up" - one of the most infectious rhythm tracks ever, with an incredibly uplifting arrangement. The "Ode To My Lady" album is ace.

Also "Everyday Love" from his second Whitfield album is long overdue a few spins I reckon.

("Gimme Some Of That Good Old Love" from the "Foxy Brown" soundtrack brings back some rather warm memories too!)

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

For me:

Love his voice and the production on his records.

"can't fight the power"....awesome record andy, check it out

:thumbup::D

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Jock SURELY you gonna post up where it all started :thumbup: !!!!!

For Me Anway

"Love Runs Out"

Pure Northern Classic :D

fantastic, just wish it was available thmbdn.gif

Social source share

agree with you all,but heres a little curve ball.

i love Boys Will Be Boys - Fidels - Maverick

and i,v always thought Mr Hutch was singing lead on this?

what do you think.i,m at work now but i,m sure his credits are all over it.

it sure sounds like him.

I love this aswell, you,re right, written, produced and arranged by our hero and you may have a point, I have got it on right now and if it aint him someone is doing a great job of sounding like him, I wonder if someone out there like Boba can put the record straight.

Kev

Social source share

I love this aswell, you,re right, written, produced and arranged by our hero and you may have a point, I have got it on right now and if it aint him someone is doing a great job of sounding like him, I wonder if someone out there like Boba can put the record straight.

Kev

soul strutt and

aint gonna stop, also big faves of mine.

mark w

Social source share

Guest east rob

soul strutt and

aint gonna stop, also big faves of mine.

mark w

another great track from ode.. album, love power. but my faves gottabe lucky to be loved , until i change me mind again!! biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Cant believe I forgot to put "Love Runs Out" down as one of my faves.

It's 6t's perfection!!

It's been blowing me away for years that one.

Social source share

Hi All,

So many but I'll just go with, 'Lets try it over' (cooler than a mohair clad eskimo), 'just another day', 'easy does it', 'I'm gonna stay', 'tell me why has our love turned cold', could go all day here!!, oh, and 'your love has made me a man', still great.

Mind you a great tune written and produced by the Hutchmeister is by the humerously named 'Choo Choo Montgomery' called got to find another lover on Capricorn records, what a great little mover, not really sure if its had any action lately or not, but Lisas browned off with hearing it anyway :thumbsup: . The B side ballads a bit good an' all.

Donald Heights' versh of 'I choose you' (DAKAR) is actually a tad better than the orig (?)

All the best

Jim.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Hi All,

Mind you a great tune written and produced by the Hutchmeister is by the humerously named 'Choo Choo Montgomery' called got to find another lover on Capricorn records, what a great little mover, not really sure if its had any action lately or not...

Jim.

Great record - both sides... Willie also wrote another fave of mine, "Mr. Miracle Man" by Dee Edwards (Cotillion, 1980) - and don't forget the old Youth Club classic by Fifth Dimension "I'll Be Loving You Forever" (LIBERTY UK)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert