Tokyo Soul

Guest jac2209

Guest jac2209

Hi, Can anyone recomend any bars/clubs/record shops in Tokyo,I'm lucky to be visiting on Sat 8th March and woud like to check whats going on! Cheers John

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

When I visited a couple of years ago there was a great little area to the east of the railway line in Shinjuku called "Golden Gai" where around 200 bars are clustered together in a compact grid of streets. The bars are all tiny and very atmospheric and, although some of them only welcome regulars, we had no problems in the ones we visited.

In terms of record shops the ones I found were mainly in Shibuya although there were a couple of good stores also in Shinjuku. Very little 7" in the shops but they all had excellent LP sections.

Visited a club called "Masterdonut" when I was there which was based in Shibuya....never forgot that first moment when the wife and I walked into this small downstairs club to be met by about 70 locals going nuts to Timeless Legend "I Was Born To Love You" !! Great music policy with all the DJ`s mixing up funk/soul/jazz....not sure if this night still runs or not as the website I got the info from no longer exists....there are a number of links to other Japanese soul/funk nights on this site....

https://www.sostokyo.com/searching/links.html

Hope you have more than one day in Tokyo as you need at least a week to do it justice....amazing city with the friendliest people I have ever met anywhere.

Social source share

Guest jac2209

When I visited a couple of years ago there was a great little area to the east of the railway line in Shinjuku called "Golden Gai" where around 200 bars are clustered together in a compact grid of streets. The bars are all tiny and very atmospheric and, although some of them only welcome regulars, we had no problems in the ones we visited.

In terms of record shops the ones I found were mainly in Shibuya although there were a couple of good stores also in Shinjuku. Very little 7" in the shops but they all had excellent LP sections.

Visited a club called "Masterdonut" when I was there which was based in Shibuya....never forgot that first moment when the wife and I walked into this small downstairs club to be met by about 70 locals going nuts to Timeless Legend "I Was Born To Love You" !! Great music policy with all the DJ`s mixing up funk/soul/jazz....not sure if this night still runs or not as the website I got the info from no longer exists....there are a number of links to other Japanese soul/funk nights on this site....

https://www.sostokyo.com/searching/links.html

Hope you have more than one day in Tokyo as you need at least a week to do it justice....amazing city with the friendliest people I have ever met anywhere.

Hi, Thanks for the concise and informative reply. I do only have the 1 day to explore the city but you have helped to send me in the right direction - cheers

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Dave Flynn is your man for this info..he is a member on here..dont know his membership name thou..any one help...also Them is our man living there too. lucky bugger you... :lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Dave Flynn is your man for this info..he is a member on here..dont know his membership name thou..any one help...also Them is our man living there too. lucky bugger you... :lol:

Dave Flynn on here as Flynny

Social source share

Dave Flynn on here as Flynny

Nothing decent going on March 8th, but I'm out and about later today, so will keep an eye out for fliers.

However, there is a collector's night tonight...may be taking me ole mukka Guy Hennigan along, as he is in town at the moment. Then, if he is feeling up for it, there is a Northern/Funk/Hip Hop nighter featuring the live band, 'Stormer!', who play a 99% Northern set...great brass and organ work and a lead singer who tries ever so hard to get his pronunciation right.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

...and as if by magic, and after hunting around for this old thread...guess what John, we have ourselves an all-nighter on Sautrday 8th March smack in the heart of Tokyo...Shibuya to be more precise!

Night Fox Soul Club

Saturday 8th March

Club Lush, Shibuya

23:00-05:00

2,000 yen (£10) admission with x1 drink free

DJs: Shuhei, Shingo, Sormer, Kazutoshi and some bloke called Flynny

PM me if y'all want directions!

:(

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source