Judy Freman Hold On

can anyone tell me whether there's any legitimate 7" re-issues of Hold On by Judy Freeman? My mate used to have it on an rca LP. Is that hard to find? Looking in Manships I can't afford a real one, but I fancy having it on a 7". might be a silly question but i'm new here.

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Jumping At The Go Go LP?

that was on RCA

Think Chalky meant that there's an original RCA acetate LP of Judy Freeman (which i believe contains a slightly different version of 'Hold On'?)

I guess it's only legitimate vinyl release (other than the US 45) is the UK Jumping At The Go Go LP from 1976 ish

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Think Chalky meant that there's an original RCA acetate LP of Judy Freeman (which i believe contains a slightly different version of 'Hold On'?)

I guess it's only legitimate vinyl release (other than the US 45) is the UK Jumping At The Go Go LP from 1976 ish

Cheers

Steve

And the 'Jumping At The Go Go' Cd that came out on Camden in 199

Social source share

Cheers

Steve

I`m sure Gregg [ Irish] used to play a different version of " hold on" at the Capital, memory is a bit flakey now but i think it was from the master tapes :thumbsup: . I can remember him saying something about gettng it from Germany. I know he definalty played a diferent version but as said the details are fuzzy.

As you say above, the only legit uk release is jatgg, top LP

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

I`m sure Gregg [ Irish] used to play a different version of " hold on" at the Capital, memory is a bit flakey now but i think it was from the master tapes :thumbsup: . I can remember him saying something about gettng it from Germany. I know he definalty played a diferent version but as said the details are fuzzy.

As you say above, the only legit uk release is jatgg, top LP

Greg used to play the different version off an unreleased acetate RCA LP..

I think its a different mix from the 45 rather than a differnt take..

(Dave Flynn will probably confirm/disprove this !!)

Evergreen classic in any case..

Social source share

Off a German test press album he used to hammer at the capitol soul club,and no i dont think its available on 45 of anykind well maybe the odd carver out there?,but the original is on Jumpin`at the go go,or if you have a lots of dosh US 45 on RCA

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Off a German test press album he used to hammer at the capitol soul club,and no i dont think its available on 45 of anykind well maybe the odd carver out there?,but the original is on Jumpin`at the go go,or if you have a lots of dosh US 45 on RCA

Can't be more than £150/200 Ken, can it? (minst, you don't like payin' more'n a fiver!)

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Seem to remember it was a trade Ken for something laid back after you"d come back from tha 100 with it ?

Cheers Paco

Dont right remember Paco,you might be right :wicked:

Social source share

Think so Ken can't believe I would have handed over 20 notes for a record then
:wicked:

Looked after it all these years (and moves) and still play it, still sounds great to me
:wicked:

Cheers Paco

Sound better back in my box tho`Paco :shades:

Social source share

Greg used to play the different version off an unreleased acetate RCA LP..

I think its a different mix from the 45 rather than a differnt take..

(Dave Flynn will probably confirm/disprove this !!)

Evergreen classic in any case..

Hi Russ,

Thanks, I've never been referred to as an evergreen classic before! :huh:

Yes, apart from the original US RCA 45 (RARE on a stocker), there is indeed a unreleased RCA LP in circulation which features an alternative version, which has a fantastic additional trumpet break and additional chorus. It is not an acetate, it is vinyl, it has no picture cover and it came with the engineer's original notes too. As already stated it was turned up by Benji in Germany from a sound engineer in Cologne.

Yes, Greg used to play it at the Capitol Soul Club, and it used to surprise a few tired legs on the dancefloor as the the realisation of it being a longer version hit home!

d.

ph34r.gif

Social source share

Thanks to the forum for all the info about Judy Freeman; I'm going to bite the bullet and get the 7. It is afterall a beautiful record. Turns out I was all confused about my mate's rca lp of judy- that was a totally different track by zulema! and he was plying JATGG. yes, well, the perils of checking out tunes when over-refreshed.

Social source share

Thanks to the forum for all the info about Judy Freeman; I'm going to bite the bullet and get the 7. It is afterall a beautiful record. Turns out I was all confused about my mate's rca lp of judy- that was a totally different track by zulema! and he was plying JATGG. yes, well, the perils of checking out tunes when over-refreshed.

one just listed in sales on this site,seller gorgeous george,@£175 :rolleyes::unsure::lol:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Thanks to the forum for all the info about Judy Freeman; I'm going to bite the bullet and get the 7. It is afterall a beautiful record...

Go for it!. I think "Hold On" is a great record with a truly stunning vocal. Would love to hear the longer version! Why can't it (legally!) come out on 12" I wonder? Somebody must have the rights to it!

Only officially released (as far as I know) in the UK on the "Jumping At The Go-Go" Northern Soul compilation album, compiled by Richard Searling in 1976.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Go for it!. I think "Hold On" is a great record with a truly stunning vocal. Would love to hear the longer version! Why can't it (legally!) come out on 12" I wonder? Somebody must have the rights to it!

Only officially released (as far as I know) in the UK on the "Jumping At The Go-Go" Northern Soul compilation album, compiled by Richard Searling in 1976.

The LP version is in refosoul clips, Stunning! (I've converted it to an MP3 if you want it)

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest mel brat

The LP version is in refosoul clips, Stunning! (I've converted it to an MP3 if you want it)

Wow! - I love the instrumental break! It does take some getting used to when the "edited" version is so familiar, but hey, would I love to dance to THAT! Hearing it always gives me goosepimples and her voice makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck!! What a fabulous bona fide Soul side! Thanks.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest Trevski

Not got the long version, unless Mike want's to sell it! wink.gif but will give the 'standard' version an outing at Clekky on Saturday methinks!

Gonna be a good 'un, be there or be square!

Cleckheaton Golf Club Saturday 16th 7:30-1am

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert