The Dells " Sweet As Funk Can Be"

Kev Cane

Does anyone out there know this album or own a copy. I have asked around a lot of soulfull folk and drawn a blank everytime. I know it is a bold statement considering the volume of quality that they have put out but in my opinion this is their finest hour. From 1972 this LP cotains 6 ballads of gut wrenching effect with the "Jewel in the crown" being the life changing " Do what you gotta do babe". Any Dells buffs out there, if you don,t already have this, search every inch of the globe for it, If you haven,t heard it I envy you the thrill.

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Does anyone out there know this album or own a copy. I have asked around a lot of soulfull folk and drawn a blank everytime. I know it is a bold statement considering the volume of quality that they have put out but in my opinion this is their finest hour. From 1972 this LP cotains 6 ballads of gut wrenching effect with the "Jewel in the crown" being the life changing " Do what you gotta do babe". Any Dells buffs out there, if you don,t already have this, search every inch of the globe for it, If you haven,t heard it I envy you the thrill.

I have a copy of this LP.

I Brought it by mistake, So if there is any one looking for a copy PM me it yours.

Dolly :thumbsup:

Social source share

It also has a liitle mini track in between each track. Played it again recently and IMO it doesn't come up to their other stuff.

Social source share

i'm with you on this - fantastic album, i only picked it up myself recently and side 2 in particular is absolutely some of the best dells/charles stepney recordings ever. forget about trying to find tunes to play a northern nighter and sit down and listen to an amazing album of a band, arranger, musicians and songwriters hitting a creative peak. 'when you're alone' and the cover of terry calliers 'just as long as we're in love' are some of the finest 70's soul ever recorded and breathtaking. ignore at your peril. IMHO.

oh, and marvel at where 4hero got a lot of their recent ideas from cos it could have been recorded yesterday.

cheers Paul

Social source share

i'm with you on this - fantastic album, i only picked it up myself recently and side 2 in particular is absolutely some of the best dells/charles stepney recordings ever. forget about trying to find tunes to play a northern nighter and sit down and listen to an amazing album of a band, arranger, musicians and songwriters hitting a creative peak. 'when you're alone' and the cover of terry calliers 'just as long as we're in love' are some of the finest 70's soul ever recorded and breathtaking. ignore at your peril. IMHO.

oh, and marvel at where 4hero got a lot of their recent ideas from cos it could have been recorded yesterday.

cheers Paul

I always really liked this LP as an LP. The best track by far for me is "just as long as we're in love", and maybe none of the other tracks stand out as much by themselves, but I always liked listening to this as an LP (maybe more than other Dells Lps, which may have contained individually stronger songs), and I like the interludes too...

Of course I don't listen to Lps anymore and have the attention span of like half a minute now that I only collect singles, I'll play a record halfway through and take it off...

Social source share

Yep I'm with you on this one "Sutty" fantastic LP full of Charles Stepney genious.

Probably cost 20 bucks or less as well if you look around.

While on the subject of The Mighty Mighty ones anybody help me out with this one;

I have the LP "Fredom Means" twice, one with a green cover and one with a brown one. I'm talking about the reverse side here 'cos the front has a pic of the Dells in a park, but now I look at the pic the background is more green on one and brown on the other huh.gif

All the details are the same on the covers but.....................the 'green' cover has the 'yellow' Cadet label and the "brown' cover has the "blue' label :thumbsup: both are CA 50004

Cheers Paul

Social source share

cheers Paul

Fantastic description Paul, must admit "Just as long as we,re in love" comes a very close 2nd for me after "Do what you gotta do babe" and I agree, some of the greatest 70,s soul ever recorded.

Regards, Kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert