Evie Sands Version Of I'll Do Anything

Pete S

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Know nothing about it - but it certainly sounds like Evie.

Doesn't sound like a 'put up' job to me.

Backing sounds crisp (Does Doris version have the brief drumroll at the intro?)

The Background vocals seem different to the Doris cut too!

Unreleased CP recording?

Where did you get it Pete?

Not on a disc I presume?

Social source share

Unreleased CP recording?

Not on a disc I presume?

I've got a dvd disc with about 2000 tracks on it which I never played and I was quickly flicking through it and there it was! It's the identical backing track to Doris.

If it's not in circulation then people get recording quick!

Social source share

I recall it surfacing about 5 years ago on master tapes...I'm sure I cut it for Adey C, who then played it at the 100 Club at the time...may still do, but I find it quite difficult to get to the club nowadays...bit far to go!

:lol:

Dave on the same cd as this was a version of The Sparkels - Try My Love supposedly by Norma Jenkins. Obviously unrelated but that surprised me too.

Social source share

Unreleased CP recording?

Not on a disc I presume?

Just played the D Troy - Evie's version is slightly slower in tempo, but would say it's exact same backing track as I couldn't spot a difference, so could possibly be from CP vaults? I slowed my turntable to match the speed of the evie clip, defo different as even the opening lyrics themselves are different! :D NICE ONE! :D

Social source share

I can't hear it on this old PC but it may be Dee Dee Sharpe's version that I got and shouldn't be in circulation.

Actually it is Dee Dee Sharp, I don't know why I wrote Evie Sands. Bit late for in not to be in circulation Ady - this is on a volume of a well known series of bootleg cd's. Nothing to do with me I hasten to add, I only heard it for the first time today

Social source share

Actually it is Dee Dee Sharp, I don't know why I wrote Evie Sands. Bit late for in not to be in circulation Ady - this is on a volume of a well known series of bootleg cd's. Nothing to do with me I hasten to add, I only heard it for the first time today

I'm not surprised, I'll just have to make sure I don't tape any unissued stuff for anyone until we've issued them; which is a pity.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yeah it's good...can't really improve on the original though

Actually mate, it probably IS the original, being that it's co-written by Kenny Gamble, and Dee Dee Sharp was then Mrs. Gamble. But I think even the most ardent "best version is the most obscure version" merchant would have to agree with you that Doris is "THE Version" on this...

...still wouldn't mind a cut of it that plays right through to the end, though...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

also remember this being spun as Dee Dee Sharp on Searlings show when it was jazz fm years ago, maybe by Ady C or A N Other - Andy Rix maybe? Great version IMO.

Grant

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert