The Girls

John May

Here's a little gem well worth picking up......

Reviewed in this months "Soul up north" magazine and starting to get plays here and there. I heard Sean Chapman play it upstairs at Cleethorpes yesterday and it sounded great. Not completely unknown by anymeans, just waiting it's chance to get noticed........seems like the time has arrived :rolleyes:

post-1187-1111866014_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest alison

Here's a little gem well worth picking up......

Reviewed in this months "Soul up north" magazine and starting to get plays here and there.  I heard Sean Chapman play it upstairs at Cleethorpes yesterday and it sounded great.  Not completely unknown by anymeans, just waiting it's chance to get noticed........seems like the time has arrived :rolleyes:

link

We sold our spare to Sean a while back and I know he plays it out a lot - its as cheap as you like and a lovely track. Its had plays here and there for a long time. Haven't played it out myself for ages, but its one that always attracts positive comments from people who havent heard it before. Such a pretty label as well (Thats the girly bit :lol: )

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Any chance of a sound file of the flip as I've heard it's also good?

link

It is :sleep3::D:)

Sory not got a soundfile i would have to find the bugger then burn it then rip an MP3 and i can't be arsed tonight sorry. If nobody has done it by Monday i'll do it for you then :D

BTW It's called "Mark My Words" :D

Trouty

Social source share

jm's for £30......personally i think its more of a record for home use only,at a soul nite,id be bored to death...sorry!!!

link

I suppose it depends on what kind of soul night it's played at. I wouldn't expect to hear it at a Northern oldies night , however played at a crossover / modern event, or even some upfront soul nights, it would fit perfectly....... :sleep3:

Social source share

you are correct once again Mr Mayo, we are currently flipping coins in the boot household as to which is the preffered version :sleep3:

what say you Johnny boy?

Billy

link

I actually flogged both of mine about 2 years ago........think I always prefered Jen battle....... :)

Social source share

THE GIRLS IS GREAT.WAS DOIN THE ROUNDS IN SCOTLAND AROUND 1989-90. JUST BOUGHT IT AGAIN LAST WEEK FOR THE SECOND TIME.GOT A GREAT MEMPHIS SLEEVE WITH IT TO.WAS CHEAPER THIS TIME.£20 IN 1990 £15 IN 05. GETTIN SPINS @ ABERDEEN N/S CLUB NITES,FUNNY ENOUGH ALONG SIDE JEAN BATTLE & EBONY ESSCENCE(both as good as each other,a male & female versions of a great tune,dosnt get any better).wheres me hanky :sleep3:

Social source share

THE GIRLS IS GREAT.WAS DOIN THE ROUNDS IN SCOTLAND AROUND 1989-90. JUST BOUGHT IT AGAIN LAST WEEK FOR THE SECOND TIME.GOT A GREAT MEMPHIS SLEEVE WITH IT TO.WAS CHEAPER THIS TIME.£20 IN 1990 £15 IN 05. GETTIN SPINS @ ABERDEEN N/S CLUB NITES,FUNNY ENOUGH ALONG SIDE JEAN BATTLE & EBONY ESSCENCE(both as good as each other,a male & female versions of a great tune,dosnt get any better).wheres me hanky :(

link

I think this is great and my good mate Molly also plays it out. :sleep3:

Social source share

Yeah it is a great little track respected by many - whether its got enough mileage in it to become well known in the bigger clubs is anybodies guess.

And shame on you Mister Onetrout for not mentioning the simply sensational 45 by Ollie Nightingale 'I don't know why I love you' which came out a few months later on Memphis 105. Now that is pure soul.

derek

What a great little label Memphis was - great colourful design. There must have been some money behind it as the company sleeves are quite plentiful.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Matt from Trowbridge has been trying to sell me his spare copy for ages.

I'm not convinced, it is all that good to be honest. I've heard worse, but find it a bit forgettable.

Social source share

Matt from Trowbridge has been trying to sell me his spare copy for ages.

I'm not convinced, it is all that good to be honest. I've heard worse, but find it a bit forgettable.

link

I agree, the Ollie Nightingale release is far better

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert