" Cover " Versions Of Film / Show Tunes That Made It On The Northern Scene

I was listening to the radio in the car on Sunday , when a version of " I Can't Help Loving That / Dat Man " came on .......

I am familiar with only two songs covered by artists - including the one above - that originally had their roots in shows or films , that were picked up on the northern scene , but it set me thinking if there were any more ......

Ila Vann - I Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man " ( Roulette ) - from " Showboat "

April Stevens - " Wanting You " ( MGM ) - from " Rose Marie "

Any more for any more ? .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I was listening to the radio in the car on Sunday , when a version of " I Can't Help Loving That / Dat Man " came on .......

I am familiar with only two songs covered by artists - including the one above - that originally had their roots in shows or films , that were picked up on the northern scene , but it set me thinking if there were any more ......

Ila Vann - I Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man " ( Roulette ) - form " Showboat "

Malc Burton

Ripple Blast Singers and Band - 'Sadie Sadie (Power) - From 'Funny Girl is probably the most recent example to get played.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Not sure whether or not it's ever had any plays but the Wanderers "I'll Know" (the other side of "You Can't Run Away From Me") on UA was originally from "Guys And Dolls"...

I've never seen the film, but I would imagine that "Paris Blues" was originally heard in the 1961 Paul Newman (jazz based) movie of the same title...

Not northern per se, but Billy Stewart's (and everyone else's) "Summertime" was of course from "Porgy And Bess", while - by the same artist - "Secret Love" was first heard by Doris Day in the film "Calamity Jane". Can we count these?

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Ila Vann - I Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man " ( Roulette ) - form " Showboat "

Malc Burton

Tony Middleton - My little red book, from "whats new pusseycat"

The Miracles - come spy with me, from "come spy with me"

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Not sure whether or not it's ever had any plays but the Wanderers "I'll Know" (the other side of "You Can't Run Away From Me") on UA was originally from "Guys And Dolls"...

I've never seen the film, but I would imagine that "Paris Blues" was originally heard in the 1961 Paul Newman (jazz based) movie of the same title...

Not northern per se, but Billy Stewart's (and everyone else's) "Summertime" was of course from "Porgy And Bess", while - by the same artist - "Secret Love" was first heard by Doris Day in the film "Calamity Jane". Can we count these?

Definately , Mr Rounce :thumbsup: ......

I had forgotten about these gems from BS , plus there is his version of " Exodus " from the film of the same name ......

I will put it down to the early hour when I did the posting ......

Going back to " SL " , I would have loved to hear DD sing the song a la the phrasing of BS ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Wasn`t mike vickers-on the brink, a theme tune or so i heard, racking my brains to remember what i was told :unsure:

Yeah it was! ...It was a 60s series called "On the brink"

Social source share

Yeah it was! ...It was a 60s series called "On the brink"

Oh not forgetting .....The Supremes - Dr. goodfoot and the bikini machine

Richard "Popcorn Wylie - Rosemary what happened"

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Says on the label it's the theme to The Wednesday Play or something like that, no mention of a program called on the brink

hang on Pete - Just going to dig out one of my old Modzines from the 80s - there was an article on it. But thinking on, you are probably right - YOU USUALLY ARE :unsure:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Says on the label it's the theme to The Wednesday Play or something like that, no mention of a program called on the brink

yup - it seems it was used by the BBC in one episode of "The Wednesday play" in 1965

So Smiffys right! as usual (Again) !!!!

Social source share

Paris Blues is inspired or suggested by the film of the same name rather than being used in the actual film (which is well worth seeing). The Mecca ender, California Montage by Young Holt Unlimited was a cover of the title song of the soundtrack to the Paul Newman motor-racing flick Winning. I believe Dave Gruisin's original version was tried there too at some point.

A few modern soul spins of more recent times have featured on the soundtracks to movies. A really good example off the top of my head is Perri's Prove To Me from the soundtrack of Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing on Motown.

Social source share

Tony Curtis was in a film called Rat Race. Guess what the theme tune was! It was performed by Richard Maltby and his orchestra. I have the tune on u.k.Columbia,green, 1961. No where near as northern as R.B.B.

Edited by Koolkat
Social source share

Tony Curtis was in a film called Rat Race. Guess what the theme tune was! It was performed by Richard Maltby and his orchestra. I have the tune on u.k.Columbia,green, 1961. No where near as northern as R.R.B.

The Rat Race (1960) is a really great film starring Tony Curtis and Burt Lancaster and has a great soundtrack by Elmer Bernstein, who's version of the Title Theme is very jazzy, but not northern.

Another track for the thread:

'Feelin' Good' - Jean Dushon (Chess) fr. the Show 'Roar Of The Greasepaint....', written by none other than Anthony Newley.

Social source share

Malcolm Hayes' version of Hurry Sundown on Liberty is a great beat ballad based on the score of the Otto Preminger film of the same name featuring (I think) Michael Caine and Jane Fonda. The other side is a great stab at Goffin & King's It's Not Easy. The film itself is dire. Caine's first 'American' role and he plays it about as well as Dick Van Dyke doing cockney!

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Do not know the details but i think the northern tunes-MY HEART CRIES FOR YOU (Porgy & The Monarchs)+PUT YOUR LOVING ARMS AROUND ME(Sherrys)are both really old movie songs

Social source share

Paris Blues is inspired or suggested by the film of the same name rather than being used in the actual film (which is well worth seeing). The Mecca ender, California Montage by Young Holt Unlimited was a cover of the title song of the soundtrack to the Paul Newman motor-racing flick Winning. I believe Dave Gruisin's original version was tried there too at some point.

A few modern soul spins of more recent times have featured on the soundtracks to movies. A really good example off the top of my head is Perri's Prove To Me from the soundtrack of Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing on Motown.

Sure read some info that said Tony Middleton was based/worked in Paris at some time, think did read some connection with a french film company with a similar if not same name to paris blues, and he featured in some french/italian films listings

all a bit hazy now but pretty sure it was from the usual movie databases etc

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Do not know the details but i think the northern tunes-MY HEART CRIES FOR YOU (Porgy & The Monarchs)+PUT YOUR LOVING ARMS AROUND ME(Sherrys)are both really old movie songs

...neither of these were originally featured in a film, although I seem to recall that Doris Day sang "Put Your Arms..." in one of her Warner Brothers musicals of the early 1950s, many years after the song was written.

"My Heart Cries For You" was written expressly for Frank Sinatra, who hated it and turned it down. Shortly afterwards it provided the breakthrough hit (and a million seller) for 50s pop icon Guy Mitchell. It's never been featured in a film, as far as I am aware.

Social source share

As Long As She Needs Me - Carl Hall (from 'Oliver!')

A Kiss To Build A Dream On - Benny Gordon (not sure what musical/film it's from, but it's a Rodgers & Hammerstein comp).

Summertime - Billy Stewart OR Tommy Navarro (from 'Porgy & Bess')

erm......um.....

The March Of The Siamese Children - Kenny Ball's Jazzmen (from 'The King & I') ?????????????????

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

A Kiss To Build A Dream On - Benny Gordon (not sure what musical/film it's from, but it's a Rodgers & Hammerstein comp).

Louis Armstrong and his band performed it in an early 1950s film "The Strip", but I think its origins go back further than that...

Social source share

As Long As She Needs Me - Carl Hall (from 'Oliver!')

Summertime - Billy Stewart OR Tommy Navarro (from 'Porgy & Bess')

erm......um.....

The March Of The Siamese Children - Kenny Ball's Jazzmen (from 'The King & I') ?????????????????

You have lost me on this one .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest niceonecyril

I think this sort of counts You Can Always Count On Me:Sammy Davies Jnr which was basically a vocal version of the Hawaii 5/0 theme tune, I'm pretty sure the LP it comes from is Song & Dance Man.

Social source share

I was putting together a video of a 1940s Weekend on the SVR and needed some 40s music so I bought a CD to find some appropriate tunes and I came across 'Put Your Arms Around Me Honey' by Joe Loss & His Orchestra which turned out to be the same song as the Sherrys and was written by Albert Von Tilzer/ Junie Mcree. Interestingly the credits on the Sherrys record are either Joe Cook or the Sherrys (depending on original or pressing).

Social source share

[i]Paris Blues is inspired or suggested by the film of the same name rather than being used in the actual film (which is well worth seeing). The Mecca ender, California Montage by Young Holt Unlimited was a cover of the title song of the soundtrack to the Paul Newman motor-racing flick Winning. I believe Dave Gruisin's original version was tried there too at some point.

Thje film " Paris Blues " ( 1961 ) , features Paul Newman and Sidney Poitier as two US ex - patriots , attempting to make a living in the jazz clubs of the said city ......

The soundtrack features music by Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong , and there is a track called " PB " credited to DE , but after checking the very brief sould clip featured on the internet for the CD , it bears no resemblence to TM's " PB " .........

Malc Burton

post-5097-1201706621_thumb.jpg

post-5097-1201706629_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert