New Orleans/memphis

Hi everybody,

i´m going to the ponderosa stomp in new orleans at the end of april this year :lol::):lol::yes: , by the way unbelievable originals are going to play, well what i wanted to ask is if anyone knows good recordshops or -dealer in that area and also memphis, ´cause we also want to spend a couple of days there. would be great to get known about some good places to fill my box.....

cheers and thanks for the informations, hank

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Shangri-La Records on Madison Avenue in 'Mefis' - way, way down on Madison, about 10 mins drive further on from Sun Studios - is a nice shop, run by really nice people. Not too pricey for the most part, either.

There's another shop, the actual name of which temporarily escapes me but it's called something like River Records. The guy has tons of mint 45s - nothing exceptionally rare - that are slowly depreciating while he refuses to do anything below 'book price' (he has 'em all). I once piled up close to 200 45s in there and left with about 10 because he wouldn't do an across the board deal on the lot and I dodn't want to stand in his store for 3 more hours while he looked every single one up in Manship, Record Collector, Kreiter etc...

Hard to say what there'll be in N'Awleans, shop wise, since Katrina. My guess is not very much, unless someone on here actually knows differently...

Social source share

There's another shop, the actual name of which temporarily escapes me but it's called something like River Records. The guy has tons of mint 45s - nothing exceptionally rare - that are slowly depreciating while he refuses to do anything below 'book price' (he has 'em all). I once piled up close to 200 45s in there and left with about 10 because he wouldn't do an across the board deal on the lot and I dodn't want to stand in his store for 3 more hours while he looked every single one up in Manship, Record Collector, Kreiter etc...

Yes, Tony. I went into River records some years back, blisteringly hot day. So while I sweated my way through box after box of records (like you said, nothing rare) he 'regaled' me with stories from behind the counter of how he bought records off unsuspecting locals over the years for a few dollars and sold them on for a fortune!!!

I brought about 25 45's up to the counter, (nothing at all exciting just stax etc collection fillers, but I wanted something for my hour or so of sweat), and he whips out a few price guides and starts converting to dollars (erring on his side). I had already taken a dislike to him over his 'stories', so I just said 'forget it'. Never been back there since. Much nicer folk in Shangri-La Records....

Martin.

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Brett F

I went a few years ago, and recall the "Louisiana Record store" near the river and also "Jim Russel Records" (caught that trolley bus thing to that), thing i always do is just ask somebody local if they know of any used record stores and just have a look in local papers and even the yellow pages. Good record hunting. :D

Brett

Social source share

Yup, Jim Russel's has racks of 45s and racks of good LPs. You will deffo find bits in there (although unlikely any biggies). I've just called them and they are still open. It's on 1837 Magazine St, New Orleans, tel (504) 522 2602. I spent a day in there last time going through all the racks and spent a couple of hundred dollars. Great shop!

Seem to recall another shop in N.O. - was it House of The Blues or summat similar? Nowhere near as many 45s as Jim Russel's, but a useful rack or two of 45s.

Good luck!

Rich

Social source share

Brett & Rich are dead right - Jim Russell, still the best spot in New Orleans.

A top Bloke too (in the Irish Quarter) he was a Radio DJ in the late 50's early 60's in NOLA. Got himself in serious trouble with the law and the station for playing 'Race Music' and ended up Barricading himself in the studio playing the music full blast...

...like a scene from Shawshank Redemption!

A true Soul Rebel and a real lovely guy (introduced me to the Dixie Cups while I was there) you just never know who'll drop by cos he's held in such high esteem in the area by our beloved NO artists!

Sean

Social source share

:cheese1: great, thanks eveybody, looking forward to the trip!!!!!

Brett & Rich are dead right - Jim Russell, still the best spot in New Orleans.

A top Bloke too (in the Irish Quarter) he was a Radio DJ in the late 50's early 60's in NOLA. Got himself in serious trouble with the law and the station for playing 'Race Music' and ended up Barricading himself in the studio playing the music full blast...

...like a scene from Shawshank Redemption!

A true Soul Rebel and a real lovely guy (introduced me to the Dixie Cups while I was there) you just never know who'll drop by cos he's held in such high esteem in the area by our beloved NO artists!

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert